Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I may not remember a particular detail but at the risk of defending FOOB there are reasons other than classism to not want a 14/15 year old to work at a bar
IIRC their biggest complaint was that people played pool there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Sorry for the filth today, can't be helped

Yeah, but what would you wear if you wanted to cyclops rock?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good Listener posted:

My parents' house has a door in the bathroom you can open up with a laundry chute to the basement. It's not really a metal one though, it's almost like a long wooden fenced in box with a floor about 4 feet above the floor itself. Sometimes the cat would go into it and you'd hear her meow from down there.

My house was made in the late 80s and I have a laundry chute under my master bathroom sink. It’s not very useful. Sooner or later I’m gonna alter it to be a safe at the top and shelving at the bottom.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 11/19-21/42

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That man is eating a hamburger almost the entire size of his head with a single hand.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

That man is eating a hamburger almost the entire size of his head with a single hand.

And gripping it like a lunatic

Things the Mary Work Worth comic can't depict people holding:
Cell phone
Hamburger

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crab Dad posted:

My house was made in the late 80s and I have a laundry chute under my master bathroom sink. It’s not very useful. Sooner or later I’m gonna alter it to be a safe at the top and shelving at the bottom.

The house I grew up in (50s construction, maybe?) had a laundry chute from the upstairs to the basement. It wasn't terribly useful. I think we mostly just carried baskets of dirty clothes down the stairs (or shoved them, and they hopefully slid down like a sled rather than tumbling and spilling clothes everywhere).

The laundry chute came in handy when, as a teenager, I used it to run ethernet from my bedroom down to the DSL modem.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Deathless Deer is reminding me of Fletcher Hanks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

Yes! I couldn't remember his name!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

goatface posted:

The Stardust guy? That is exactly what Deer reminds me of. Good catch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

Oh god now I can't unsee that!

The Dinette Set burns away the inches.

Working Daze god I hate this so much.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is giving away the secret!

Cul De Sac is lucky to have friends it can rely on.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

S
H
R
U
B
F

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Bloop posted:

I may not remember a particular detail but at the risk of defending FOOB there are reasons other than classism to not want a 14/15 year old to work at a bar

Okay, that's a fair point about not wanting a teenager to work in a bar. Though, I got curious and checked it out, and I got a detail wrong. It wasn't actually a bar he wanted to work in, it was his aunt's diner/pool hall:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (October 26, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 15, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 15, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 31, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 30, 1935)

Mopsy (December 29, 1936)

Dark Laughter (February 17, 1945)

Bootsie goes to war.

Those Were the Days (October 20, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 21, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 21, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sorry, I messed around with a different image editing program than I normally use. Not really sure I'll switch, it feels good but is more designed for artists than doing stupid poo poo like I use paint.net for, but it's interesting.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 22nd, 1940

Axa

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 15, 1933)

Peanuts (April 18, 1974)

Harry Dinkle Exposes Himself

Crankshaft

Okay purists, you want the real one? FINE.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater: So, Mr. Segar, how do we spring Pappy out of jail? Segar's answer: "Who said we were going to spring Pappy out of jail?" (November 15, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 15-17, 1936; spoiler for an Ick joke)

Toonerville Folks (June 25-27, 1917)

Dok's "Since When Does He Learn From Past Mistakes?" Duck (July 26, 1913)

For those of you who were following the Potlatch story, the big triumphant headline was Hulet Wells losing the theater for his play about Colonel Blethen and Judge Humpty Dumpty Humphries.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The hell is this retcon? Dinkle never sold any chocolates, he kept sinking money into those turkey sales. And if he was going to name-drop a chocolate company, the least he could do was get its name right.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gunther would probably pick some Star Trek poo poo. Since the Enterprise crew would definitely have some random harpist around to make them feel all cultured or whatever, I guess Tiff wins.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Do Tennis players normally provide their own balls for an official match? I thought the organizers would do that.

Presumably this rule changed due to the entirely unforeseeable circumstance that guys like Bugs Meany would use it to cheat.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

amigolupus posted:

The hell is this retcon? Dinkle never sold any chocolates, he kept sinking money into those turkey sales. And if he was going to name-drop a chocolate company, the least he could do was get its name right.

As they noted at SoSF, this is a flashback to 2017 (in which the company's name is indeed spelled differently):

That said, Batiuk does seem to enjoy establishing characters as humorously incompetent, then deciding that they also need to be rewarded, causing him to pretend that actually they've been hypercompetent all along.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Success!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is giving away the secret!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZVpb0cVkE

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (October 26, 1917)

I'm choosing to interpret this as a racist dog joke.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (September 21, 1991)

So looking like Ronkainen might pull through thanks to mukku. I'm glad he's one of my favorite characters. Will he really stop drinking though?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The actual play on words in the original Korean is the wind is burning. While looking quite straightforward in English, literally translated the husband is making reference to wind, not burning. So of course I had to alter his dialog accordingly.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

All right, this pacing is driving me insane. I only just now realized Gwen was describing Mike and not Barry because her non-compliments are so uselessly vague they can't describe anyone. There is like, one joke here, and Reddick is actively avoiding using it.

"So what's this mystery man like?"

"He's loyal to his friends, financially secure, and has a unique look."

"What's the catch?"

"He has two friends, lives with his mom so he can spend money on toys, and is prematurely bald."

"Fine. I'll take it."

Now, "Mike goes on a date with Gwen's friend" is, by contrast, a premise that could at least last a week or two. So what I'm saying is, take us to the drat fireworks factory already Reddick!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm choosing to interpret this as a racist dog joke.

I choose to interpret it as an antifa dog joke.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater: So, Mr. Segar, how do we spring Pappy out of jail? Segar's answer: "Who said we were going to spring Pappy out of jail?" (November 15, 1937)

Comic Strips 2021: The Valley of the Goons

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I generally don't think "Those Were The Days" is being as malicious as people think and it's just simple "Boy things are different than how they used to be!" observation humor. Maybe I'm being too generous to it but it doesn't really stand out as being mean-spirited to me. That being said I'm surprised everyone ignored the one about how UFOs are real from a couple days ago.

Also, Crankshaft ignoring Covid for over a year, and now making jokes about it as if people aren't still dying from it, is amazing. I know it's not gaslighting but is this gaslighting?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait are we really into week two now of that Intelligent Life storyline? gently caress I wish I could yell at Riddick on twitter to get on with it.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

There is only one lord of the ring, only one who can bend it to his will, and he does not share power.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (October 9-15, 2000)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Mercedes Colomar posted:

Wait are we really into week two now of that Intelligent Life storyline? gently caress I wish I could yell at Riddick on twitter to get on with it.

Some Guy TT posted:

take us to the drat fireworks factory already Reddick!
By my count this was week 5 of this arc.

Speaking of arcs, Finch Marketing, the workplace of Skip, Gwen, Betty and Barry, was given 60 more days before being demolished and turned into a dump on January 8th 2020.
The purpose of that arc was presumably to reintroduce Stalker Sarah, who hasn't been seen since February 14th 2020.
And the arc that led to the start of Skip & Gwen's relationship also involved Gwen not knowing who she was hooking up with, and it lasted 5 MONTHS and the strip was daily at the time.

(I've summarized the dating arc into five weeks worth of strips. Part 1 and Part 2. Enjoy.)

And I'll bet anything that Reddick has forgotten that Betty and Mike met during a halloween arc in 2016.

So what I'm saying is Strap in, summer children.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ukonvasara posted:

As they noted at SoSF, this is a flashback to 2017 (in which the company's name is indeed spelled differently):

That said, Batiuk does seem to enjoy establishing characters as humorously incompetent, then deciding that they also need to be rewarded, causing him to pretend that actually they've been hypercompetent all along.

Batiuk loves to award incompetent people for doing nothing because that's what he belives people should do with him. Also, whenever Dinkle does his open-mouthed smirk, it looks so offputting. It's like he's stretching his mouth beyond what humans are capable of.

somepartsareme posted:

Also, Crankshaft ignoring Covid for over a year, and now making jokes about it as if people aren't still dying from it, is amazing. I know it's not gaslighting but is this gaslighting?

If by gas, you mean it smells like a complete fart, then yes.

Huh, I thought it was only Safe Havens where a character discovers knowledge regarding DNA that could completely change the world yet holds back on telling it for arbitrary reasons.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 6, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 6, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 6, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Jackass 4/15/01

Brenda Starr 4/14/46

As noted earlier, Brenda's dining table is just a tub and a board. Putting the towel rack on the bottom is a nice touch though.

Smokey Stover 7/28/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

More warmed-over Halloween jokes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

MONETIZE YOUR HOBBIES MOOMIN.
WHY AREN'T YOU BEING PRODUCTIVE MOOMIN.
HOW CAN YOU LEVERAGE THIS INTO GROWING YOUR PATREON, MOOMIN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Our ISP has been fuckin us over and we just got internet back today

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon