Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bird cooch posted:

I've been meaning to give that a try. Does it require a new account or anything like that?

It's entirely locally run, you create a dummy account essentially as part of the setup process, that feeds bullshit to the bullshit server and off you go.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
So from what I can tell and based on today's prices, if I set up a BTC farm with one GPU it will pay for itself in 9-10 days. However each additional GPU will take 69 days to pay for itself.

Is there any rumour on when the next wipe will be? I feel like it will be less than 2 months so it probably is worth just selling additional GPUs as long as they are so overvalued.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

It's entirely locally run, you create a dummy account essentially as part of the setup process, that feeds bullshit to the bullshit server and off you go.

Then you can just give yourself 200m roubles if you want, set your level to whatever you like, instant complete any quests if you hate them, etc. It's great.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
And no server wait times too

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Question for those running SPT: Do you have to have the backup, modded install for APT on the same drive as Tarkov? I have everything else done and I'm still getting an error about not having .net installed and that's about the only thing I can come up with.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Duderclese posted:

Question for those running SPT: Do you have to have the backup, modded install for APT on the same drive as Tarkov? I have everything else done and I'm still getting an error about not having .net installed and that's about the only thing I can come up with.

Saw this on reddit today:

quote:

Have you launched the game?

SPT-AKI needs you to lunch the game and get to the inventory screen at least once to authenticate you actually own the game.

They also have to be on the same drive.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

No judgement here, but is Single Player Tarkov just you running around booping Scavs?

I mean, they're definitely nasty enough to be a threat to everyone who hasn't memorized the scav patterns, but do they keep the game engaging?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

No judgement here, but is Single Player Tarkov just you running around booping Scavs?

I mean, they're definitely nasty enough to be a threat to everyone who hasn't memorized the scav patterns, but do they keep the game engaging?

There are some great mods that add in AI PMCs and raiders, and you can customise the weighting of what appears out of scavs/PMCs/raiders, and how many AI entities spawn. Hell you can add in Glukhar raiders or even bosses if you want to get hosed up.

It's surprisingly flexible. You can change what armor/weapons each group has access to spawn in with too, things like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

It has options to simulate enemy PMCs by giving them much higher quality equipment and having them roam around the map. When I tried it at least, back when it was brand new, they were basically just super high tier gear piñatas that posed zero threat and left you swimming in crazy good guns and stuff.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
A mod that turns Tarkov back into Stalker I love it

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

InevitableCheese posted:

A mod that turns Tarkov back into Stalker I love it

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've decided to just go full scav-on-scav. Other player scavs just cannot be trusted.

I just somehow spent 10mins matchmaking into a reserve scav run only to be shot in the back by a player scav one minute in. Does this mean that reserve has hundreds of player scavs or did we all get stuck in a queue together or what?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait times just seem really bad at the moment for no particular reason, even at peak hours.

That said Reserve gets a ridiculous number of potential player scav spawns, IIRC.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've never gotten into Reserve quickly as a scav. It's just such a profitable map everyone's waiting in line for their shot.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Reserve at night is a ghost town for scavs, I recommend trying that

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I've been doing a ton of night scav reserve runs lately and the queue is like 2-4 minutes

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Good old scav case. Put an intel in, get an intel out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lately I’ve been putting moonshine in and getting Slicks back so one of my scavs is drunkenly finding his way into labs or something and fighting chads.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Best thing i've gotten so far has been a GPU, but that was post BTC change. But, needed it, so it was nice. I use moonshine as well and started with intelligence but was getting complete poo poo. At least all of my moonshine runs have paid for the moonshine, which seems to have dropped by about 75k.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I was playing a lot of customs and kinda getting the map. Then I decided to try to learn woods and it hasn't gone that well. The game does in fact have a brutal learning curve.

I've wandered into a minefield once or twice. Sometimes I've spawned near a bunch of trees and had no idea where on the map I was. My first run was in pitch black night as a scav which was an interesting & unproductive experience in woods. I did make it to extraction. Actual gun fighting has gone okay.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 19, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Woods is real rough this late. Most objectives will take you to the sawmill that has a boss as well as lots of players looking for said boss and pvp.

Big loot piñatas if you get lucky.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Woods is real rough this late. Most objectives will take you to the sawmill that has a boss as well as lots of players looking for said boss and pvp.

Also that area is loaded with pieces of poo poo that will camp the box waiting for some poor soul to start opening it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm not messing with that yet. Trying to learn caches, extracts, and map features.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

something I wrote up when i was learning woods. highly recommend having the map/pics of stashes open on a second monitor

Hooplah posted:

here's a quick path i generally take for woods runs. stashes in blue, places of interest (danger/loot/scavs) in orange. black circles are what i'd consider good spawns for each end of the run. if you spawn all the way in the southeast the run can get weird. recommend bringing zb-014 key given that last section between there and outskirts has nothing of interest but can get hairy. maybe the 3k roubles to take car extract, but generally if you can get past the village that last section til northern roadblock is safe.

the ruined northern village feels way too open and dangerous for me so i ignore it. usec camp is also a spot i tend to see players more, so stay alert around there. lastly i forgot to color it orange but the convoy is right next to a stash and is worth checking out. good meds occasionally on the ground by one of the bodies.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Woods has too many spawns where it's just and you have no idea where you're at. That's the one map where a compass is actually helpful. An in-game map would be nice too but I know that's being greedy.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've found the mapgenie site to be really helpful as a newbie https://mapgenie.io/tarkov

Just got head/jaw'd from about 100m by buckshot fired by a scav running backwards. Was en route to extract with two quest items.

Enough Tarkov for today!

VVVVV Lol the guy was basically a smudge on my screen. I don't really know how he aggro'd on me. Thought he was a player scav at first but no report button.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Man it seems like every time someone gets shot from more than 10m away it's "almost 100m/at least 100m"

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Enough Tarkov for today!

I've been feeling like this a bunch lately. I don't think i've played in about 2 weeks. I just log in to collect bit coins and scav case contents. Just not sure what to go for anymore now that my hideout is done. I guess the Kappa? Just not really feeling like there is anything I need to be going for anymore.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Woods is confusing until you realize there's several landmarks you can easily use to orient yourself-- the factories to the south-east, the power lines that run through the entire northern part east to west, and the big lake at the south under sawmill. Once you get a little more familiar with it you also can figure out which of the larger rock formations you're near and use the road just north of the major ones as a landmark as well. Since you'll probably spawn at an edge of the map, if you find which side of you has mines and look for one of those landmarks you can usually figure out where you are with the help of a map pretty quickly.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 20, 2021

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

ShowTime posted:

I've been feeling like this a bunch lately. I don't think i've played in about 2 weeks. I just log in to collect bit coins and scav case contents. Just not sure what to go for anymore now that my hideout is done. I guess the Kappa? Just not really feeling like there is anything I need to be going for anymore.

Kill players and take their gear

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Instructions unclear: Got killed and lost my gear.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Gay Hitler posted:

Kill players and take their gear

Yea but I already have so much gear that I don't need anymore. And it's so easy to make money right now that even if I lost all my money and gear i'd be able to stay steadily geared by just doing scav runs for money.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Play game for fun? Shoot mans because want to?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Play a game because you find it fun and you want to play it? Wrong forum bud

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I dunno. Guess i'm just done with it until the next wipe, seasons and expansions. I'll probably just keep the btc farm running and login every day or so to collect, so I at least have some money if I want to play before any of that stuff happens. But like Cage Kicker says, not having fun with it at the moment so I haven't been playing it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

"Tarkov is not supposed to be a fun game" - Nikita

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Yea I dunno. Guess i'm just done with it until the next wipe, seasons and expansions. I'll probably just keep the btc farm running and login every day or so to collect, so I at least have some money if I want to play before any of that stuff happens. But like Cage Kicker says, not having fun with it at the moment so I haven't been playing it.
I'm in the same boat. First wipe, level 38? I got desynced a few too many times so I went from Playing a ton to a couple times a week for a couple raids. Pvp is so hit or miss that having that as the goal isn't enough.

Two weeks ago I was playing in the same room as my friend LAN party style and I ran up to him ingame and jumped into a bush and then turned around to tell him something in person with plenty of time to watch my character run across his screen and then jump into a bush.

I have tons of gear but find myself killing as many folks with a shotgun and mag buck as I do loaded for bear with armor and a built gun. I know I'm still not good at the game, but the game issues are such a big part of how it's played. Peakers advantage is huge.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 20, 2021

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

ShowTime posted:

Yea but I already have so much gear that I don't need anymore. And it's so easy to make money right now that even if I lost all my money and gear i'd be able to stay steadily geared by just doing scav runs for money.

Kill players and vendor their gear

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I will say that yesterday I managed to complete a whole bunch of quests just from the scav junkbox returns using moonshine. I even managed to get one of those hot new tan slicks, which was a great return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Christ, I haven't played any real significant amount since before the flea market - and honestly early on in the implementation of quests is when I quit for a while - and it's roooough coming back and not really remembering the stuff that hasn't changed and most of it has but above it's a real fuckin' nightmare when literally everyone is geared to the nines in every single raid. I gather it's been like this for a while, too.