Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

perepelki posted:

ok maybe i'll watch uncut gems

It has one of the best movie trailers ever made.

https://youtu.be/vTfJp2Ts9X8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i have forgotten there was a bejeweled furby in the show and in my head it's that edit of the sonichu pendant

Segue
May 23, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

My movie group watched good time last week and we all were crawling out of our skin it was so uncomfortable.

Yeah I loved Uncut Gems but could not sit still through Good Time. God that movie just rubs and rubs. When Robert Pattinson kissed the teenager I was just like nope, not for me

So I was dreading Uncut Gems but it's a much more adrenaline pumping anxious movie than Good Time's tortorous skeeze. The Safdies are masters of both though.

Speaking of movie theatres we miss and Sandler, I took my brother to see a 35mm screening of Punch Drunk Love at The Royal (god I hope it survives) in Toronto which he was very reluctant to go to with Sandler's reputation and I converted him good.

That theatre is the one that instilled my love for movies a few years ago when I randomly saw it was playing a restoration of Suspiria and was like hm that sounds interesting I have heard that's a cool movie. And it was loving magic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Man, I gotta admit, Shrek to Donkey after he turns back into a donkey from being a white stallion in Shrek 2: "You still look like a noble steed to me" - that got me, that's some good stuff, shrekiverse redeemed

also the cat is top notch animated cat

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 13, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
and straight into a dance party ffs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shrek 2 is the rare sequel that is really good

And then hoooo boy oh boy Shrek 3

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shrek 2 is carried heavily I think by the big climax, it's the best part of the movie by a huge margin. I don't think most of Shrek 2 is great, but I laughed a lot when I saw it in theaters. Shrek 3 is just bad. I honestly can't think of a single redeeming thing about it, and it's made even worse by the climax of the movie being SO boring after the second one.

I remember Shrek 4 actually being pretty good.

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
Shrek 3 and 4 have the same energy as Disney's Cinderella 2 and 3. First a sequel so bad the next movie is basically a retcon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Macaluso posted:

Shrek 2 is carried heavily I think by the big climax, it's the best part of the movie by a huge margin. I don't think most of Shrek 2 is great, but I laughed a lot when I saw it in theaters. Shrek 3 is just bad. I honestly can't think of a single redeeming thing about it, and it's made even worse by the climax of the movie being SO boring after the second one.

Agreed, 2 definitely suffers from just not being nearly as necessary a story as 1. But it does its best and is simply a very good comedy throughout, and the climax is expertly done.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Shrek:
1 Was good.
2 Was more of the same actually, but it was well done and with a good climax with a good song.
3 Wasn't very good. I'm not really sure why it didn't work, but it just didn't.
4 Was good again. It had more of the energy of the second then the third.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ive seen Shrek 3 but all I remember is Puss and Donkey switching bodies but nothing interesting or funny comes of it, it’s just crammed in to have a b-plot for the sake of a b-plot

I’ll rewatch it soon and see

I can’t wait to get to the PiB stand-alone movie :getin:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only thing i remember liking from Shrek three was the immigrant song scene and that was basically copying the same energy as the finale from 2.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Segue posted:

Speaking of movie theatres we miss and Sandler, I took my brother to see a 35mm screening of Punch Drunk Love at The Royal (god I hope it survives) in Toronto which he was very reluctant to go to with Sandler's reputation and I converted him good.

That theatre is the one that instilled my love for movies a few years ago when I randomly saw it was playing a restoration of Suspiria and was like hm that sounds interesting I have heard that's a cool movie. And it was loving magic.

Did not expect to read about The Royal in the Animation thread but I 100% agree. I could live with every theatre in Toronto being razed if I could have that one back. My first screening there was Lynch's Inland Empire and I still think about how that was perhaps the only venue where that particular film should ever be shown.

I really miss their Saturday morning programming where they would show old cartoons and have a 'buffet' of dozens of kinds of breakfast cereal. :(

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My one problem with Shrek 2 is that Dragon is barely in it, and when Donkey gets turned into a fancy horse, Dragon could have become a bigger, cooler dragon. But she has to stay offscreen because she's nesting.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I saw shrek 2 at a drive-in, and then shrek 3 as a school field trip when my class performed most in a fundraiser. I liked it but nobody else seemed to

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because it was mentioned in this thread

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1381999038497611776?s=21

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I hope that one day I can be as content as Ralph Bakshi, his wife, and his fuckin majestic rear end dog

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
^^ when that popped up this morning on my facebook feed i almost wept

look at the state of ralph's paintin' jeans :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

this thread has done me a great service absorbing my passionate bakshi outbursts. otherwise, that energy would have had nowhere to go and, given the broader context, i probably would have ended up harassing him irl. which was not what either of us needed. anyway the energy is channelled now, bakshi is safe from me, and i owe you all my life and dignity

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I hope that one day I can be as content as Ralph Bakshi, his wife, and his fuckin majestic rear end dog

:3: Oh my god that sweet fluffy boy :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:3: Oh my god that sweet fluffy boy :3:
the dog's pretty cute too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tarzan 2 makes Jungle Book 2 look like Tarzan 1

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

That is an absolute unit of a fluffer.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Out of all the Disney sequels, which ones were actually worth making? Lion King 2 was nice, Return of Jafar was more of a backdoor pilot for the cartoon so mileage definitely varies there. I'm not including threequels in this since the average is way better for them (Cinderella 3, Aladdin 3, Lion King 1.5).

I watched Lady and the Tramp 2 many times when it was new, so I must have enjoyed it. I think that was just because it was all about dogs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lion King 2 was garbage imo but it set the expectation for me that none of the direct-to-video sequels would ever be worth watching, so I never bothered. It could well be that they're all way worse than that standard.

(TLK 1.5 was an outlier and I thought it was great, it actually did something interesting)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Aces High posted:

Out of all the Disney sequels, which ones were actually worth making? Lion King 2 was nice, Return of Jafar was more of a backdoor pilot for the cartoon so mileage definitely varies there. I'm not including threequels in this since the average is way better for them (Cinderella 3, Aladdin 3, Lion King 1.5).

I watched Lady and the Tramp 2 many times when it was new, so I must have enjoyed it. I think that was just because it was all about dogs

fox and the hound 2 deserves to exist just to create bar bets where you say what it's about then no one believes you and has to look it up.

(just like the sequel to the 101 dalmatians book)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Castlevania S4 is confirmed!

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1382736509665644544?s=21

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

Lion King 2 was garbage imo but it set the expectation for me that none of the direct-to-video sequels would ever be worth watching, so I never bothered. It could well be that they're all way worse than that standard.

(TLK 1.5 was an outlier and I thought it was great, it actually did something interesting)

I’ll fight you

Lion fight you

Lion King 2 is great with good songs (apart from Upendi which sucks), good new characters and more, while 1.5 is embarrassingly bad

I should watch 1.5 again

Anyway the best Disney dtv sequel is extremely goofy movie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Extremely goofy and incredibly close

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Cinderella iii isn’t good but it gets a little gremlins ii energy of declaring the first movie stupid and being a soft parody at times

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedrigall posted:

I’ll fight you

Lion fight you

Lion King 2 is great with good songs (apart from Upendi which sucks), good new characters and more, while 1.5 is embarrassingly bad

Yeah maybe before they cut out the most interesting scenes, like Zira committing suicide and Nuka saying "I guess I finally got your attention" as he dies

Cowards

e: lmao I'll never stop laughing that they didn't bother re-animating her maniacal grin after they cut it

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 16, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The colors are never really right in these

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I always feel like the shading and hilites are off. Like the lovely cover art that is on model but totally colored like rear end

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno if this is still relevant but Ellis posted a video about her canceling from that Raya tweet. It’s very long, a bit self indulgent, but halfway through I thought “well, this is probably a pretty good response.” Then I checked twitter and Asian creators are not pleased with this. 😐 Seems she dug herself into a bigger hole when a simple 10 minute apology video would have been enough. Now people are piling on her about misrepresenting their tweets she says are misrepresenting her tweets. Sigh, the internet.

Gotta admit though, starting the video with a section about how twitter gamifies rage, while probably true, is not the best way to win people over because it posits their outrage was just the result of manipulation. This is more for her fanbase.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4&feature=youtu.be

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/ruthituesday/status/1382741216610107396

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Aces High posted:

Out of all the Disney sequels, which ones were actually worth making? Lion King 2 was nice, Return of Jafar was more of a backdoor pilot for the cartoon so mileage definitely varies there.

IIRC Return Of Jafar was the pilot of the cartoon but they had a hole in their VHS release schedule and decided to make it an official sequel.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

I dunno if this is still relevant but Ellis posted a video about her canceling from that Raya tweet. It’s very long, a bit self indulgent, but halfway through I thought “well, this is probably a pretty good response.” Then I checked twitter and Asian creators are not pleased with this. 😐 Seems she dug herself into a bigger hole when a simple 10 minute apology video would have been enough. Now people are piling on her about misrepresenting their tweets she says are misrepresenting her tweets. Sigh, the internet.

Gotta admit though, starting the video with a section about how twitter gamifies rage, while probably true, is not the best way to win people over because it posits their outrage was just the result of manipulation. This is more for her fanbase.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4&feature=youtu.be

Having watched the whole video, the way it comes across is that she's tired and broken from having a relative handful of mistakes across her entire thirteen-year career constantly weaponized against her. She admits she's hosed up in the past, tries to contextualize past mistakes, but is deeply angry at the people using bad faith criticism not just to attack her, but to attack her friends and collaborators like Jenny Nicholson and Sarah Z.

And, honestly, I get it—because the problem with saying "Well why doesn't she just apologize"* is that this incident will simply become another point in a lengthy, constantly curated list of mistakes used to justify harassing her the next time she makes a mistake, where it won't matter that she already apologized for it, just as none of the people harassing her care that she already apologized for all the other mistakes (Some of which stretch back over a full decade). So it's better to just lay everything down, say her piece, and gently caress off twitter forever. Which in the long run is probably the right call.

*not that she even has anything to apologize for with regard to the raya tweet imo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's really no words for how staggeringly self-absorbed and stupid that "Apology" video is, two hours to whine about cancel culture, misgendering a critic and how the problem is everyone is being too sensitive.

If you're going to apologize, make it short and sweet, none of this clapping and taking shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Acebuckeye13 posted:

*not that she even has anything to apologize for with regard to the raya tweet imo

Yeah that's what annoys me most about the whole thing; Raya IS derivative of Atla.

I swear Disney sets up these situations on purpose, like how it was impossible to be negative about Captain Marvel the year it came out without looking like one of those insane people who think Brie Larson should smile more

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 16, 2021