Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Alright, cool, will just give it a go with just set velocity - was a lot of fun just messing around with the sequencer anyways. Thanks, good to know I wasn't nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get the Puremagnetik Century when it goes on super discount (currently sitting at $200 down from $500 msrp but it gets way cheaper on Black Friday, etc) and never buy sample packs again (unless you want to).

Also Samples From Mars will generally have their whole collection on sale for around 50 bucks around Black Friday.

In related news I spent the whole weekend paring down my SfM set to fit in the Digitakt, ugh what a chore.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i got an mpc recently and let me just say. holy cow

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Ok so does anyone have a favorite controller that comes in 61 keys

what specifically are you looking for? do you want the best possible keybed? do you want deep integration with your daw or plugins? do you want lots of connectivity? what’s your budget?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

watho posted:

what specifically are you looking for? do you want the best possible keybed? do you want deep integration with your daw or plugins? do you want lots of connectivity? what’s your budget?

Mostly just as good of a keybed as I can find on a budget and I'll probably look for it used. I've never plugged a midi keyboard into a computer before so I have no opinions on daws etc or the utility of different things that might come on a controller

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mostly just as good of a keybed as I can find on a budget and I'll probably look for it used. I've never plugged a midi keyboard into a computer before so I have no opinions on daws etc or the utility of different things that might come on a controller

i’d look into the nektar panorama t6, it’s a good meat and potatoes keyboard. poo poo like the arturia keylab, or native instruments komplete kontrol keyboards are better but you’ll be overpaying for functions you don’t seem like you need.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had the edirol pcr keyboard back in the day, it was perfect for Ableton and logic. buttons for clip launching and faders for mixing. it even had a crossfader and I used it with a questionable copy of traktor for DJing parties. good memories. It looks like the Roland A-500 is the spiritual successor, I would probably get one of those if I bought a midi controller today. The novations look nice too with their built in sequencers

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A-500pro has an explicitly synth type keyboard that doesn't try to mimic ivories and that suits me. It's been good and solid for me. God drat soft touch rubber on the faders, knobs and pitch stick though. I've had it for 5+ years and it's turning into a sticky mess. When will humanity learn.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I don't know if I care if it's synth action or semi weighted but I really went out of my way to find a desk that would fit a 61 key keyboard and I'd like to learn how to play keys with good form etc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

So here it is
The case is an artists box from some craft store I wanted it to be in a brief case but I couldn't find a good one at the time.
The antennas I got thick copper wiring from home depot, bent it, polished them, and soldered them to XLR connectors so they are detachable.
I really need to tidy up the wiring it was supposed to be temporary while I got it working and it's been that way ever since.

That's a cool setup and looks ideal for what my friend was looking for.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don't know if I care if it's synth action or semi weighted but I really went out of my way to find a desk that would fit a 61 key keyboard and I'd like to learn how to play keys with good form etc

i’d go with semi weighted if your goal is to learn to play keyboard

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

watho posted:

i’d go with semi weighted if your goal is to learn to play keyboard

Cool ty for the advice

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah check out the novation SL 61 keys
edit wow they're expensive. for $700 I would want a keyboard that can make noise

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 12, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah the SL 61 seems amazing but holy gently caress is it expensive and only makes sense if you have tons of poo poo to connect it to like a sort of brains of a studio or whatever

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

watho posted:

yeah the SL 61 seems amazing but holy gently caress is it expensive and only makes sense if you have tons of poo poo to connect it to like a sort of brains of a studio or whatever

I've had bad quality from Arturia in the past so I'm going to say check out the m-audio oxygen line, they've been making midi controllers forever and it would be a solid choice

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'd go Arturia Keylab 61 Essential. It's $250 and you get some of their great software and customer discounts for drat near life.

I have it and it's the perfect mess around controller.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The best weighted keyboards I ever messed with were those old M-Audio Keystation Pros plus they were built like tanks.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm sure it's not the appropriate place to post this but I just listed my JDXI on ebay 2 minutes ago for $250 if anyone is interested.

I remember there being a swap thread at one point but it must have gotten buried because I was having trouble finding it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184763159915

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Found someone selling an old semiweighted Axiom in great condition for cheap so :cheers:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna go check out a Korg Minilogue at GC they hopefully stock. Anyone have exp with it esp as a midi controller as well.

E: first time synth buyer

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a fantastic first-time synth and my recommendation. It's got capable voices, and 4-note polyphony is enough for basic stuff. I'd recommend some reverb to go along with it if you can.

I haven't tried it as a MIDI controller but I suppose it would do the job if you don't require aftertouch or separate mod and pitch wheels. According to the MIDI implementation chart the knobs transmit CC values too... I should try that out sometime.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Found someone selling an old semiweighted Axiom in great condition for cheap so :cheers:

hell yeah :cheers:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Music Radar’s 40 Greatest Synth Sounds of All Time series continues to be a comedy goldmine of failure. Sadly even if I spoiler the name here it’s all over the page I need to link but who on loving Earth would ever recognize this as a facsimile of the lead riff to Born Slippy

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-32-underworld-born-slippy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tried out the Korg Monologue at GC with my Ipad, managed to work as a midi controller. Gonna watch more Minologue vids on youtube before I psych myself to paying for it, done with using my Ipad just gonna use my Macbook Air to host DAW, and got an interface so I can put hopefully cool ideas from the synth into it

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

toadee posted:

Music Radar’s 40 Greatest Synth Sounds of All Time series continues to be a comedy goldmine of failure. Sadly even if I spoiler the name here it’s all over the page I need to link but who on loving Earth would ever recognize this as a facsimile of the lead riff to Born Slippy

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-32-underworld-born-slippy

Their attempt at Billie Jean is certainly something

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-30-michael-jackson-billie-jean

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LOL wow, that's a pretty big one to whiff it on, given that it's basically known exactly how that sound was made. IIRC there's even a Syntaur episode where they refurb a CS-80 and recreate the sound, and actually call the guy who tracked the synth part on the original, just to be sure.

I know this whole "greatest synth sound" series is sort of also an advertisement for the free synths and plugins you get with a Computer Music subscription or whatever, but even setting aside how poor the recreations are, I don't think it's really doing them any favors. If anything it shows off how bland and unremarkable the CM synths they're using are.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm thinking about trading in my Bass Station 2 and Microkorg for some more Eurorack modules. I'm doing some spring cleaning, and I haven't used either for years, whereas I use my Eurorack constantly. However, I really liked both when I did use them, they just don't really fit my workflows nowadays. Maybe I should Marie Kondo them and thank them for their service and pull the bandaid off and sell them.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

MockingQuantum posted:

LOL wow, that's a pretty big one to whiff it on, given that it's basically known exactly how that sound was made. IIRC there's even a Syntaur episode where they refurb a CS-80 and recreate the sound, and actually call the guy who tracked the synth part on the original, just to be sure.

I know this whole "greatest synth sound" series is sort of also an advertisement for the free synths and plugins you get with a Computer Music subscription or whatever, but even setting aside how poor the recreations are, I don't think it's really doing them any favors. If anything it shows off how bland and unremarkable the CM synths they're using are.

Seriously, the Synths packaged with Fruity Loops 10 years ago are a pretty good point of comparison to these

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m now thinking of getting a used Yamaha motif. I can replace the p515 and the qy100 with it, and maybe the octatrack although sample slicing looks a little wonky on there. It has the same sequencer as my qy as far as I can tell

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 15, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m now thinking of getting a used montage. I can replace the p515 and the qy100 with it, and maybe the octatrack although sample slicing looks a little wonky on there. It has the same sequencer as my qy as far as I can tell

do you happen to have an opinion on the MX? Does it make sense as a controller, or are standalone controllers by NI, etc better?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m the wrong person to ask about daw controllers but I like Yamaha instruments in general. At that price point I would want built in sounds over a pure midi controller like the Novation SL. But people who buy the SL are getting a great sequencer too so it’s a bit of a trade off. I like the mx series a lot, it reminds me of my old cs1x, which I left in Tennessee but is still waiting for me there supposedly so I may have to retrieve it.

Double posting, my buddy bought a soma pulsar and it just arrived so I’m going to borrow it and rip some beats into the octatrack. So if you want samples I can post them, not sure where to host wav files tho maybe google drive

Edit I mean motif not montage. The one with faders

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just out of interest, what distortion pedals do people like with their synths? I was playing some simple acidy bass line off my microfreak through a couple of mine yesterday (initially my SF300, then my Boss OD3 which sounded great), I've got a few more kicking around but so far the amount of character the OD3 adds is a winner in my book.

can't go wrong with a tubescreamer. here's me playing it with a reface Yamaha reface cs, into a carbon copy (delay), danelectro spring reverb. ran audacity normalize on it. I think that's it :420:
https://soundcloud.com/natively/10-14-2019-2a

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just out of interest, what distortion pedals do people like with their synths? I was playing some simple acidy bass line off my microfreak through a couple of mine yesterday (initially my SF300, then my Boss OD3 which sounded great), I've got a few more kicking around but so far the amount of character the OD3 adds is a winner in my book.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Previously Rat, Tube screamer (esp DX, has switchable filters, works better with bass or synths). Racked Boss GL100 has taken over mostly though just because it’s there, faster to switch faux pedals.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

NonzeroCircle posted:

I like my mojomojo

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Most of my stuff is mono so it goes great with Fuzzrocious' Knob Jawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd7Q1qqH0a4

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

toadee posted:

It's not only a bad facsimile, it's just bad on its own.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcWGt21_Z8

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Wayhuge swollen pickle, definetly doesn’t cut any bass. Boss hyperfuzz, digitech deathmetal, wmd geiger counter all work decently. Also Ibanez tonelok bass distortion, works great on drums. Also a graphic eq is really useful/mandatory with distortion.

Boss sd-1 is utter loving garbage on anything that isnt a guitar before a tube amp.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Older Boss GT series combo pedals have 30 or more Boss pedals in them, with several distortions, and they are very affordable for what you get. Loads of fun on synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treble
Feb 14, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Moog Minifooger Drive is a great synth pedal with a built in ladder filter. The Minifooger Delay is also surprisingly decent with its huge boost circuit, depending on application.