Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think it's like some others mentioned ITT, that some of the MST3K alumnus probably felt a bit slighted at not being asked/offered a bigger/any role in the return of the show. Like, even though most of them have their own things now, I'm sure they still would have liked to been asked. More of a "it's the principle of the thing" kind of situation than any serious grievances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Bill recently reunited with Joel for a short for his fundraiser too. https://mst3k.org/2020/12/03/watch-all-the-turkey-day-host-segments-right-here-including-the-new-short-featuring-emily/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I wonder whatever happened to Paul Chaplin.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Diabolik900 posted:

Speaking of Satellite News, they seem to be continuing their pattern from last time around of being nearly dead silent about the Kickstarter. They posted a link when it first launched, but that’s it. No actual details or updates. Their one post with the link was just titled, “Joel Launches a New Kickstarter.” The Kickstarter could be for something entirely unrelated for all the info they gave.

I get that there’s not a ton to say, but for a site that’s supposed to be the go-to news source on the show, they don’t seem to like talking much about the efforts to continue the show.

it's a really weird place, idk what's up with them

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Over $2.8mil, just about 51% of the way through their full goal a full week in

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narsham posted:

My impression was that Trace and Mike didn't get along wonderfully, and after Joel's departure MST was getting reshaped along Mike and Jim Mallon lines (and nobody seems to have much liked Jim Mallon by the end of everything). Trace seems like the movie, in particular, put him off the show permanently, and he was happy to see the back of it after the cancellation.

Why would Mike and Trace have a thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know but the past couple pages have been really weird with theory crafting about who hates who and why.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

he was in the audience at one of the Minneapolis live shows in 2018 and got a shoutout from Joel on stage

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Ballz posted:

Isn't he still a raging packers fan working at the Burnett County cheese Coop

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know but the past couple pages have been really weird with theory crafting about who hates who and why.

Fun fact: Tom Servo and Gypsy’s contracts state that they will never do a scene in the same room (they used to date and had a nasty breakup)

So for any scene with both of them they shoot each robot separately and the then carefully CGI them into the same shot.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Fun fact: Tom Servo and Gypsy’s contracts state that they will never do a scene in the same room (they used to date and had a nasty breakup)

So for any scene with both of them they shoot each robot separately and the then carefully CGI them into the same shot.

She never got him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Things never were the same between them after the scavenger scale sale. :sigh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splint Chesthair posted:

She never got him.

Nobody does. He's the wind, baby!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Things never were the same between them after the scavenger scale sale. :sigh:

"Oh, the red one."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real beef is between Beth "Beez" McKeever and Brain Guy, anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I don't need to 'take' my fruit snack, but I will - because *I* want to" cracks me up every time.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Jesus, they're 50% funded in a week's time

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

"I don't need to 'take' my fruit snack, but I will - because *I* want to" cracks me up every time.

:same:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

"Oh, the red one."

"H-hello, Gyspy?" :sweatdrop:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ballz posted:

I believe he helped with writing on some of the season 11 episodes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aren't they more like 140% funded? I wish they phrased it that way as 50% sounds like they haven't met the goal at all yet (and I worry it would drive people away who think this project isn't going to be funded).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IUG posted:

Aren't they more like 140% funded? I wish they phrased it that way as 50% sounds like they haven't met the goal at all yet (and I worry it would drive people away who think this project isn't going to be funded).

I think the goal in most people's minds is the $5.5 million point, which means twelve new episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

I think that's the rhetoric they're going for, as they'd want a minimum so they'd get the money to produce something but still keep people thinking about the full extent of what could be delivered.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, $5.5 million is the goal, even if it’s not the official number that they entered into Kickstarter. The only reason the $2 million “goal” exists is because they don’t get the money if they don’t reach the officially designated Kickstarter goal.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
first short from the Mads' riff a night or two ago: very 50s office, all the employees are complaining about their boss.

Frank: It's like they all work for Jim Mallon or something.

loving :lmao:

edit:

manager: We need to raise money.
Trace: Why don't you just Kickstart it?

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 15, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

"Didn't get along wonderfully" isn't "hated each other." Some people work together fine, while others have immediate friend chemistry. Trace and Frank were a unit, and Mike/Kevin/Bill were a unit. My sense is that Mike and Trace got along OK, but Trace got on better with Frank.

I also think that when Joel left, the way the show was handled shifted a bit, as did the humor. You can see another shift after Frank leaves that continues with Trace's departure.

But the main reason Trace left was burnout after the movie. I suggest listening to Jonah's podcast about the movie; you get a pretty good sense of how hard Trace worked, in particular, and how frustrating the experience was. Keep in mind that as Crow and Dr. F, Trace was pretty much involved in every single scene of the show, while everyone else got to take a break at some point or another.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

trying to remember an episode, might’ve been a rifftrax, where some dude (an astronaut?) ends up on a bizarro mirror earth that’s always on the other side of the sun from regular boring earth

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

bees x1000 posted:

trying to remember an episode, might’ve been a rifftrax, where some dude (an astronaut?) ends up on a bizarro mirror earth that’s always on the other side of the sun from regular boring earth

It’s a season 3 MST episode: Stranded in Space

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

featuring a semi-sober Cameron Mitchell!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

That’s also the premise of Prisoners of the Lost Universe, starring Richard Hatch and John Saxon, which was a rifftrax.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bees x1000 posted:

I just remembered that this is technically the premise of Outlaw of Gor, too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That’s also the premise of Prisoners of the Lost Universe, starring Richard Hatch and John Saxon, which was a rifftrax.

Of all the Star Wars ripoff clones, this one is the most painful I've seen.

I mean, apart from all the other Star Wars movies.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I watched Cry Wilderness the other day. That scene where they go looking for Bigfoot in the cave with all the Coke cans...I feel like I've seen that location in another MST episode. Anybody else recognize it?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Stranded in Space was it, thanks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pershing posted:

I watched Cry Wilderness the other day. That scene where they go looking for Bigfoot in the cave with all the Coke cans...I feel like I've seen that location in another MST episode. Anybody else recognize it?

I couldn't find anything off the top of my head but it was filmed around Mono Lake and the Devils Postpile National Monument if that's any help.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It was a fairly common sci-fi gimmick for a while to put a planet hidden behind the Sun on the far side of Earth's orbit. And it's not hard to see why -- once it became clear that Mars and Venus weren't very Earth-like, that was really the only conveniently close spot to plausibly stick a habitable world to go adventuring on. So it turned up all over the place, including no less than three MST3K experiments (Stranded in Space, Outlaw of Gor, and Gamera vs. Guiron).

In case anyone's wondering, no, there can't be a planet there in real life. Not only would such a thing be gravitationally unstable in the long run, but we'd be able to see it with the naked eye during total eclipses if it was there -- Earth's orbit isn't a perfect circle, so anything there would spend most of its time slightly to one side of the Sun, not directly behind it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just remembered that this is technically the premise of Outlaw of Gor, too

A "counter" Earth is a pretty common sci-fi trope.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, just a trope.

The secret of planet X must remain hidden from you foolish humans!

I mean, yeah, but if there was a counter Earth, we would have known about it. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

I thought this movie did it pretty well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger_(1969_film)

Honor the umlaut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I thought this movie did it pretty well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger_(1969_film)

Honor the umlaut!

I'll round your lips! :argh: