Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Dilly dally shilly shally!

To this day, I still have no idea what that line was supposed to mean

EDIT - "Dilly Dally" means to beat around the bush, I get that. But Shilly Shally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bradzilla posted:

I remember nothing about AC. Might have to pick it up.

They announced a new version coming out soon. It's the same as the Complete version, but now in 4K Ultra HD.

What was even the difference between the original and Complete? Just graphical updates?

I thought AC was the dumbest poo poo, and hated Tifa's new look, but at least it gave us Barret's... fashion sense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Complete was extended and made a bit more sense, if I remember right.

Anyway I always figured Aeris knew she was going to die, but maybe not so early as in the Remake. I think around the Temple of the Ancients and before the Forgotten City, she knew what was up.

Either way I dig this take the Remake has of her just knowing already.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

To this day, I still have no idea what that line was supposed to mean

EDIT - "Dilly Dally" means to beat around the bush, I get that. But Shilly Shally?

the original line was "zuru zuru zuru zuru," a japanese onomatopoeia for dragging something along the ground, to indicate that cloud was dragging his grief and angst through life behind him to his own detriment

not easy to translate, but they probably could have done a better job than that

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Oxxidation posted:

the original line was "zuru zuru zuru zuru," a japanese onomatopoeia for dragging something along the ground, to indicate that cloud was dragging his grief and angst through life behind him to his own detriment

not easy to translate, but they probably could have done a better job than that

I want an oral history as to how "zuru zuru" became "dilly dally"

I need this

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The 500-years-later stinger at the end of OGFF7 indicates that while Midgar got wrecked, it didn't get turned into a crater or anything. And the shittiest video game ever made, Dirge of Cerberus, has you go back there where people are just kind of hanging out with the new secret military.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Who What Now posted:

Is the flashback really that jank?
I remember somebody explaining it during some let's break the game Let's Play. IIRC it's something like there's exactly 9 data structures in memory to keep track of persistent leveling data etc. of characters. The game pulls from here to populate everything character based so the easiest way to get a character in the party is stick them in here. That's basically what you do to get Aeris back in, I think it's the logical equivalent of in party = yes because even though she's dead, she rides along in memory in the background.

During the flashback all the current data gets shunted to the rear end end of RAMsville and Sephiroth and Dorky Cloud are loaded in. I don't think Sephiroth and Dorky Cloud were meant to fill the entire structure because they arent permanent party members so even if you snapshot those addresses and plug them into free slots later they end up breaking stuff.

Somebody who is an actual tech nerd FF7 expert can come in and fix the multitude of places I'm sure I'm wrong and not remembering right about this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Dilly dally, dilly dally" would have made more sense and kept the repetition of the original. The dilly dally isn't the problem, it's shilly shally.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

zedprime posted:

Aerith can show up in the Sector 5 church due to lax memory cleanliness. Might be something similar in Ancient City. Basically if you have just the right cruft in memory it boots up the movement scripts from when you meet her so you get a spooky ghost Aerith praying on flowers phasing in and out.

I guess the biggest reason to suspect there might have been more planned for her is she doesn't kill the game if you game genie her back in, compared to doing the same to Sephiroth but I'd put more stock into that being Sephiroth has a bunch of weird autoattack scripts and the flashback is hacked in to begin with.

I read this and was thinking about when I first played it. I remember that they actually reference her after she's dead in the church and that she blinks out of existence intentionally.

Found this video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9UEXLMarb0

Apparently there is a glitch but when you go there later she is there intentionally. If that is what you're actually talking about.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If you Gameshark Aeris back in then she also shows up and has dialogue during the crash after the snowboarding thing. If my memory is correct she asks if everyone is OK.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mad Hamish posted:

If you Gameshark Aeris back in then she also shows up and has dialogue during the crash after the snowboarding thing. If my memory is correct she asks if everyone is OK.

Games aren't really made linearly and areas and events get shuffled around all the time in development so I wouldn't be surprised if she had dialogue in several places that might have happened earlier in the story at some part of development.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m 100% certain Aerith was intended to die from very early stages and was meant to stay dead, but when her death took place probably shifted around a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was originally intended to be at the Northern Crater.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I’m 100% certain Aerith was intended to die from very early stages and was meant to stay dead, but when her death took place probably shifted around a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was originally intended to be at the Northern Crater.

She was supposed to die by Cloud dropping a barrel on her head in the church

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Aeris was dead the whole time. Shigeru Hamamoto said as much in Expo 94'

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dell_Zincht posted:

She was supposed to die by Cloud dropping a barrel on her head in the church

A paralyzed Aerith then unsuccessfully tries to rope Marlene into performing the Hegh’bat

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Aerith is always talking about the future. Even in the gold saucer date, she's talking about wanting to meet the real Cloud, which she clearly realises she can't do then but muggy be possible in the future. After the temple, she tells him that she's going to take care of Sephiroth; it certainly seems like she's planning on returning.

After successfully casting Holy, she looks up and sees Cloud and smiles, which looked like a "Hey, my friend made it!" to me at least.

She doesn't need to be dead to communicate with Planet and ask it to intercede at the end either, that's specifically something Ancients can do while alive!

Her death is pointless and tragic and it's fascinating that people look for leaving where they intentionally avoided it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

it's practically confirmed that this is true, she has dialogue up to the Northern Crater and there's a room you can access in the debug room that's in the Northern Crater with her theme as the background music

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cavelcade posted:

Aerith is always talking about the future. Even in the gold saucer date, she's talking about wanting to meet the real Cloud, which she clearly realises she can't do then but muggy be possible in the future. After the temple, she tells him that she's going to take care of Sephiroth; it certainly seems like she's planning on returning.

After successfully casting Holy, she looks up and sees Cloud and smiles, which looked like a "Hey, my friend made it!" to me at least.

She doesn't need to be dead to communicate with Planet and ask it to intercede at the end either, that's specifically something Ancients can do while alive!

Her death is pointless and tragic and it's fascinating that people look for leaving where they intentionally avoided it.

When I was playing FF7 I was having a great time until I found out the videos were saved as normal video formats on the CD, and I opened the death one. It shocked 20 year old me to the core, I was actually distraught.

I kinda hope she stays alive in this, so my 12 year old self can finally find peace

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

zedprime posted:

During the flashback all the current data gets shunted to the rear end end of RAMsville and Sephiroth and Dorky Cloud are loaded in. I don't think Sephiroth and Dorky Cloud were meant to fill the entire structure because they arent permanent party members so even if you snapshot those addresses and plug them into free slots later they end up breaking stuff.

Somebody who is an actual tech nerd FF7 expert can come in and fix the multitude of places I'm sure I'm wrong and not remembering right about this.
Sephiroth and Young Cloud's character data get overwritten by Vincent and Cait Sith, respectively, when they join. So you can shark them in, and they function "correctly" in battle, before the others show up, but cutscenes will hang if the expected party member is not present. There is also a code that allows you to control Sephiroth and steal his maxed out materia.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

That's such a weirdly specific and unnecessary thing to do in the era of Disc games. I wonder if it's just a habit from having to perform crazy space-saving tricks on cartridges? If you never recruit Vincent, does it allow you to get Sephiroth in without loving up the game?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vincent Valentine posted:

That's such a weirdly specific and unnecessary thing to do in the era of Disc games. I wonder if it's just a habit from having to perform crazy space-saving tricks on cartridges? If you never recruit Vincent, does it allow you to get Sephiroth in without loving up the game?

It probably had more to do with save game size. I mean the PS1 was limited at 2MB of ram which was enough but I suspect that having 10 or 12 character slots was just unnecessary when they could juggle 8.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PS1 is still the era of duct taped assembly code because you can put nearly anything you can imagine on a 650mb disc and then you need to figure out how to cram it into 2mb of RAM plus misc. caches and how that condensed into a 8kb memory card save file.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wasn't the FFVII soundtrack very MIDI because Uematsu wanted to keep the file-size as low as possible? I vaguely remember a quote about him hearing music from Suikoden and deciding he could turn it up a notch for the next game.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Because of hierarchical memory, at the top the fastest caches are always small. Even in modern games programming there is still a need for extreme space-saving hacks. There always will be because of this. I think frequently they'll make data structures out of trees rather than big hash tables even the latter are theoretically faster. Trees play better with hierarchical memory; the piece you're working with fits in your smallest cache better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The scene where Sephiroph kills Aerith is so full of continuity errors that it's probably two completely separate cutscenes stapled together. The main difference is that Sephiroph's outfit keeps changing, which could be the Jenova-Sephiroph and the real one. The positions of the three characters is all over the place and isn't consistent with the in-game location either.

It's definitely possible that Aerith wasn't going to die until the end where they fight Sephiroph, but the extra dialogue she has could just be because they hadn't decided when it should happen.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

The scene where Sephiroph kills Aerith is so full of continuity errors that it's probably two completely separate cutscenes stapled together. The main difference is that Sephiroph's outfit keeps changing, which could be the Jenova-Sephiroph and the real one. The positions of the three characters is all over the place and isn't consistent with the in-game location either.

It's definitely possible that Aerith wasn't going to die until the end where they fight Sephiroph, but the extra dialogue she has could just be because they hadn't decided when it should happen.

The scenery changes like 3 times throughout the whole thing. It was definitely a patchwork.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
wait what, aerith dies?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

its_my_birthday posted:

wait what, aerith dies?

Uh no, um she dies of boredom.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Whoever's playing hard mode without only running the nailbat is missing out on some top drama cutscenes.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

its_my_birthday posted:

wait what, aerith dies?

No, she spraypainted a wall in Wreck-it Ralph, which came out after ff7 and how could she spraypaint a wall in something that came out after her "death"??

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Tarkus posted:

The scenery changes like 3 times throughout the whole thing. It was definitely a patchwork.

IIRC currently they changed it yeah, she was supposed to die in north crater or something at one point? That would explain why she had dialogue if you hack her back into the party at the snow area at least.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Read a little bit more about the decisions around Aerith's death. Kitase and the rest decided very early on that someone was gonna die. The first three main characters created were Cloud Barrett and Aerith and they felt Barrett was the "easy" choice because he's a tough guy willing to sacrifice it all type. Kitase was dealing with the death of his mother and wanted to make a death that was as tragic, sudden, and pointless as real life death. He specifically did not want it to be a Hollywood style "good" death, one that has to happen for the betterment of everyone.

He also at one point wanted to kill everybody and Nomura of all people had to talk him out of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

Im pretty sure that was because at one point they had pretty much every CGI studio in Japan working on FF7, so that scene was probably sourced from a different studio for every angle. That's why every single cutscene seems to use a different model.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Read a little bit more about the decisions around Aerith's death. Kitase and the rest decided very early on that someone was gonna die. The first three main characters created were Cloud Barrett and Aerith and they felt Barrett was the "easy" choice because he's a tough guy willing to sacrifice it all type. Kitase was dealing with the death of his mother and wanted to make a death that was as tragic, sudden, and pointless as real life death. He specifically did not want it to be a Hollywood style "good" death, one that has to happen for the betterment of everyone.

He also at one point wanted to kill everybody and Nomura of all people had to talk him out of it.

The general public's reaction to Aerith's death is also a big reason none of the main characters die in FFVIII.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Honestly having a main character die just randomly like that is something I appreciate in media, as it's gutsy and can change the entire narrative in a second.

However I don't want it in my escapist grand adventure of saving the world from angstboy and big chunkus.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That was one thing I didn't like about where the remake appears to be headed. They're making it out like this story is going to "correct" certain things about the original, specifically Aerith.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Heath posted:

That was one thing I didn't like about where the remake appears to be headed. They're making it out like this story is going to "correct" certain things about the original, specifically Aerith.

She still gonna die, man

EDIT - They could pull some Harry Potter and The Cursed Child poo poo where the timeline in FFVII:Remake is one where Aerith lives but ultimately Sephiroth wins, the planet is destroyed and they have to go back and "fix" the timeline and she dies

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I hope she does, and there had better be no option to bring her back, because that's the coward's way :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vincent

Sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Heath posted:

My impression of the finale of FF7R meant that they were opening it up a bit to more than just simple "correcting". Heck, the timeline is messed up now... Biggs is alive and perhaps Jessie? We never got to see Wedge's body. Aerith's first boyfriend Zack didn't die either. I'm guessing they're planning to shake things up more than people think.