Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was getting excited about Skul, and realised that was because it looked the most like hollowknight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh well, see you guys for the next Nintendo Direct announcement.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You know, when Silksong finally does come out tomorrow I'm really going to miss all those times a Nintendo Direct says "oh there's one more announcement" and it turns out not to be Silksong and the entire chat screams in agony.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Jokes aside, why do people assume that a Nintendo direct would have details of Silksong, anyway? I know a switch version is planned but it's coming out (lol) on PC too, right? Why would it be announced by Nintendo as opposed to just announced by Team Cherry themselves whenever they have something?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Reveilled posted:

Jokes aside, why do people assume that a Nintendo direct would have details of Silksong, anyway? I know a switch version is planned but it's coming out (lol) on PC too, right? Why would it be announced by Nintendo as opposed to just announced by Team Cherry themselves whenever they have something?

Switch was Hollow Knight's first console port, it got a huge fanbase there, Nintendo for all their sins know a winning partnership when they see one, and Silksong has previously been demoed specifically (and, I think, exclusively) at Nintendo events (on reflection I think this might represent a sample size of one, but.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Reveilled posted:

They announced Silksong's existence in a Nintendo Direct

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They have some kind of relationship with Nintendo, Silksong is launching exclusively on the Switch (and PC, but Nintendo has dibs on the console version)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Reveilled posted:

Because a Nintendo Direct focused on indie games, especially indie games from outside the US is right in an indie game studio from Australia's wheelhouse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This looks neat as Silksong methadone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2dyV8ck00

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

morestuff posted:

I will play this.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

morestuff posted:

This literally looks like a hollow knight romhack.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

morestuff posted:

the kickstarter isn't up yet and they only show two small enemies in the trailer so I think something has gone terribly wrong if it makes it to release before Silksong

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hornet/Knight will make it onto Smash Bros before Silksong comes out.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Hornet/Knight will make it onto Smash Bros before Silksong comes out.

Hornet Knight from Shovel Knight 2 will make it onto Smash Bros before Silksong comes out.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Is Silksong going to be a strand-type game?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Greenplastic posted:

Like Death Stranding? No, it’s a side scroller action adventure game.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Strands... of silk? I think you're on to something here

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Procrastine posted:

Strands... of silk? I think you're on to something here

Thank god! As someone who exclusively plays strand-type games I was afraid Silksong would be off-limits, but you just saved the day!!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Originally it was going to be an expansion but now it's strand alone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Silksong: Death Stranding

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

morestuff posted:

Yeah I've been following the development of this one and it looks amazing at least, we'll see how it plays

Mymla posted:

This literally looks like a hollow knight romhack.

FPS games are all doom-clones. Such is genre. Its cool and good.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Most shooters don't copy the art style and movement kinetics of doom wholesale.

I'm not complaining since I'll happily pay for more Hollow-like, but this is very blatent to the degree I though I was looking at Hollowknight for a hot second until they started shooting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bug Squash posted:

Most shooters don't copy the art style and movement kinetics of doom wholesale.

They sure did for a good solid decade IDK

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

They sure did for a good solid decade IDK

Well, fair enough, but I'm pretty sure Hollowknight isn't the first good Metroidvania so what's these guy's excuse?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

Well, fair enough, but I'm pretty sure Hollowknight isn't the first good Metroidvania so what's these guy's excuse?

I think calling it 'blatant' or saying they need an 'excuse' is the wrong perspective. This is what all art is, its just easy to overlook the inspirations of lots of things you don't know.

Star Wars was a shot-for-shot remake of WW2 movies. Does anybody care?

Why does it have to be the first of a genre that you copy, but you can't copy other games? That seems arbitrary. Plenty of games do copy Metroid both in gameplay and aesthetic, and that can be cool and good too.

Doing entirely new things is awesome, but video games are an insane amount of work, especially for small indie teams. Its not like Crowsworn is being made by EA for $50 million dollars, trying to muscle out Team Cherry.

Its not bugs, its got guns, so they're doing some new things at least. The art style being so similar is the only thing that really stands out versus so many other metroidvanias, and getting defensive on behalf of another artist's work can be a bad move I think. If the Team Cherry artists feel knocked off that's one thing, but I think we should leave that to them. And so many artworks exist which pull from another artists' style, its usually looked at as a good thing if you aren't just blatantly tracing another's work (which they 100% are not)

fireborn says it better than I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDVWpXQ1IE

Like music that samples other music, its cool if you wanna give more props to the more "original" work, if you think it was more land-breaking, sure.
But I don't think that means the other work is "bad" necessarily.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 16, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seems a weird objection to have with the amount of cues Hollow Knight took from Dark Souls.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
hollow knight was the best game of the previous decade and it's frankly asinine to question why anyone would be inspired by that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah. I can see the argument that Hollow Knight pulled from a more diverse set of games (Mega Man, Duck Tales, Metroid, Dark Souls) and has a more original aesthetic, where with Crowsworn its easier to just point at a single game. But, for all we know the guys at Team Cherry were really into some comic that got them to that aesthetic, or who knows. Rarely does art come whole-cloth original into existence. "All artists steal" is the mantra.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean I'm not complaining about games aping hollow knight, that's a very good thing. But it's pretty funny how blatant it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I guess when the hk devs stop making games you gotta make your own

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crowsworn seems to give you a much bigger toolset, and the world design is much more Victorian, almost Bloodbornish. Heavily Inspired by Hollow Knight is good.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mymla posted:

I mean I'm not complaining about games aping hollow knight, that's a very good thing. But it's pretty funny how blatant it is.

This is pretty much all I'm saying. At the end of the day I'm happy to be getting a cool game with nice art, but it's still a good thing and to be encouraged for an artist to try and put themselves into their art rather than tracing someone else's material.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All culture is derivative and memetic repetition is the foundation of cultural norms, which in turn format societal interactions and thus define the sociological constructs that make up our lives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

This is pretty much all I'm saying. At the end of the day I'm happy to be getting a cool game with nice art, but it's still a good thing and to be encouraged for an artist to try and put themselves into their art rather than tracing someone else's material.

Nobody traced anything! Do not say that.

Would you say that cuphead was "blatantly" copying the style of early Disney? I mean, yeah it is directly based on it, but I wouldn't call it "copying", and it certainly 100% is not "tracing".

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I like videos game about bugs and nails and i hope everyone else enjoys Silksong as much as I will tomorrow

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Why does it have to be the first of a genre that you copy, but you can't copy other games? That seems arbitrary. Plenty of games do copy Metroid both in gameplay and aesthetic, and that can be cool and good too.
I think people accept "blatant" copies of Metroid and SotN because they're not making games in either of those original franchises anymore. Especially for Castlevania, after getting Igavanias year-after-year in the 00s Konami just, stopped making them. Sure Iga went on to make Bloodstained but it's different enough that there's a SotN-clone void for indies to fill and people won't complain about it.

Also, Metroid and Castlevania were made by big-name studios, so I could see why people think someone riffing too-closely on Hollow Knight might hurt Team Cherry because they're so small. I don't agree with that take, but I can see how people rationalize it that way.

The only things about the Crowsworn trailer that give me a "this is uncanny Hollow Knight" vibe is the protagonist's white mask, the white spikes, and the UI all of which do seem quite close to Hollow Knight and not just in a "we were inspired by Hollow Knight" kind of way. Although I'm sure it's not, you could convince me that it started off as a Hollow Knight mod that turned into its own thing.

If Team Cherry is cool with this, I'm cool with it though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only thing that matters is if it is good. If it is not then it is just a failed clone. If it is good then who cares.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

The only thing that matters is if it is good. If it is not then it is just a failed clone. If it is good then who cares.
I'd agree except it looks like they're trying to Kickstarter the game, so they're trying to get money before they can really establish that the game is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think people accept "blatant" copies of Metroid and SotN because they're not making games in either of those original franchises anymore. Especially for Castlevania, after getting Igavanias year-after-year in the 00s Konami just, stopped making them. Sure Iga went on to make Bloodstained but it's different enough that there's a SotN-clone void for indies to fill and people won't complain about it.

Also, Metroid and Castlevania were made by big-name studios, so I could see why people think someone riffing too-closely on Hollow Knight might hurt Team Cherry because they're so small. I don't agree with that take, but I can see how people rationalize it that way.

The only things about the Crowsworn trailer that give me a "this is uncanny Hollow Knight" vibe is the protagonist's white mask, the white spikes, and the UI all of which do seem quite close to Hollow Knight and not just in a "we were inspired by Hollow Knight" kind of way. Although I'm sure it's not, you could convince me that it started off as a Hollow Knight mod that turned into its own thing.

If Team Cherry is cool with this, I'm cool with it though.

But what about back in the NES era? Back when Castlevania was brand new, there were plenty of Castlevania clones back then. Same with any genre. That may be true now that they aren't making them, but even back when they were, people made similar games with similar looks.

Even if it did start as a Hollow Knight mod (pretty sure it didn't) is that a bad thing? Whatever gets you to the final product, right?

Game developers will use all kinds of temporary assets during production that you don't know about. I don't think that means anything.

I can agree with the feeling of Team Cherry being small so wanting to protect them, but they're clearly doing fantastically well financially and don't really need gamers to be their guard dogs.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd agree except it looks like they're trying to Kickstarter the game, so they're trying to get money before they can really establish that the game is good.

Yeah Kickstarter is a can of worms in general. But trying to make indie games is really hard so I can't blame someone for using a clear inspiration both gameplay and aesthetically as a crutch to get started.

I mean by all means you can not care about Crowsworn, and definitely don't give them kickstarter money unless you're crazy into it. I just don't think its a bad thing it exists, unless the Team Cherry artists themselves feel they've been plagiarized. But its different enough I don't think you can say that. Lots of art uses a similar aesthetic to another artist.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Nintendo showcased a game that isn't actually slated for release? Yikes.