Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

SF64 multiplayer was probably rear end but i have very fond memories of playing the poo poo out of it with my friends

i remember assault's multiplayer being really cool. the maps had the vehicles laying around so it was a ratrace for the arwing/tanks, but there were lots of absurd ground weapons too. like a canister that covered an enormous area in artillery strikes

i only got to play it a handful of times at a friend's, it owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Goblin Craft posted:

over the years I have had more than one dream about a lost snes mario kart sequel with superfx 3D, and the fact that it doesn't exist burns me up. just laying bare the deepest yearning of my heart in the nintendo thread.

stunt race fx?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mycophobia posted:

mario kart super circuit?

yes and no, i mean kind of like that but in my dreams of course it's impossibly, unattainably good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Goblin Craft posted:

yes and no, i mean kind of like that but in my dreams of course it's impossibly, unattainably good

just checked on this and it's only okay, like not even as good as mario kart 64.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
mk64 is a real good game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm biased because I'm an old gently caress, in the same way that all you 25-30 year olds love Double Dash for reasons I'll never understand, but 64 is definitely my favorite aside from 8 of course which is so good you can't really compare anything else to it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

64 sucks poo poo and every time friends see my n64 they want to play it, even though i have freakin 8

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I turned around on doubledash when I actually played it co-op with friends
having to coordinate to manage power-ups, and the thing where l and r let you slam to the side, were really fun and haven't been in the series before or since

64 is one of the purest pick up and play games ever. mom and grandpa and little billy can all just get in and have fun
the maze of yoshi valley, turning into bomb carts, picking up a star and barreling through piranha plants or monty moles or the traffic in toad's turnpike, the shortcut in the waterfall that nobody ever makes, getting pelted by bats and coconuts, exploding snowmen, the train, the loving rear end in a top hat boulders in choco mountain, saving a red shell so you can hit somebody right as they're about to hit the big jump in wario stadium
it's just a lot of fun and full of fun things to do
in pure gaming terms it has some problems that are very obvious in hindsight but I understand the attachment

I've only played the wii u version of 8 and it's my favorite for sure but stuff like the anti-gravity tracks and going underwater and the hang-gliding don't feel different enough from the regular racing the way that, say, hopping up the slope in dk jungle did
64 levels felt like "here's a racetrack in this world, good luck", 8's feel more like "here's a racetrack themed after this world, don't worry you're safe"
just very well-designed and very balanced and very fair and not necessarily what you want to get the fam to gather round the nintendo. sometimes you want a little nonsense and jank

:words:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

just checked on this and it's only okay, like not even as good as mario kart 64.

praising with faint drat

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

OG mario kart and 64 are probably easily 2 of my most played games of all time, by the time DD came out I was out of college and didn't have the constant availability of friends to play with

even in college my friends eventually got tired of playing mk64 with me, because at least occasionally I could finish far enough ahead of 2nd place to use the glitch where you stop at the finish line and turn around, back up across it, and then the computer takes control and makes you go forward again to turn back around and you cross the finish line a 2nd time. if you can do that before 2nd place reaches the line, in vs. mode you get credit for two first-place finishes, it's the ultimate mic drop, such a good feeling

but then goldeneye came out anyway

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Super Mario Kart was my first so I'll always have a strong affinity towards it but that's a game that's hard to come back to after the comforts of 8.

https://twitter.com/coolboxart/status/1383037497429610499?s=21

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

trying to jack off posted:

64 sucks poo poo and every time friends see my n64 they want to play it, even though i have freakin 8

this
mk64 feels awful

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thank you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjE64YTqabI

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
mk64 owns because if you miss the jumps in wario stadium or royal raceway or bowser's castle, you're stuck and have to try again, compared to modern mario kart where lakitu is too forgiving

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

64 is fun because playing dumb games with your drunk friends at parties is fun. Who cares.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/gameartarchive/status/1382792956457926657

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

epic..

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

64 is awful with a party lol. no music, cant see poo poo, game makes you spin out if you try to drift. 8 is the ultimate game

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

drat they could have called it Mario Kart √64

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
It’s actually crazy how Mario Kart 64 came out before Mario Kart 8. How did they do this...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I really would love F-Zero or a classic rail shooter Star Fox.

Mother 3.

https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1382885817262112768?s=19

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

the fact that it's still kind of chaotic the whole way through actually impressed me

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Super Mario Kart was my first so I'll always have a strong affinity towards it but that's a game that's hard to come back to after the comforts of 8.

https://twitter.com/coolboxart/status/1383037497429610499?s=21

it's hard to go back to any of them after 8, which is why they should make a mario kart ultimate and put all the tracks and characters from all previous games together

30th anniversary next year nintendo, you know what to do

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

a double dash mode in 8 would be sick, so many if my friends are non gamers i normally smoke them in regular mario kart

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/nineverything/status/1383464116308758531

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doug's evil twin?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So long, Gary Bowser