Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Another ep6 thing: There was not enough follow up from ep5. Mark(does he even know they took down Machinehead? I can't remember if he passed out before or after that) didn't go check up with Titan. Nolan didn't give Mark some "I told you so" speech. Hell, even Deb just let Mark go on a roadtrip a week after he almost died. I guess the last one is more of a minor nitpick, but you would think she would still be a bit more concerned but I guess he heals quickly so :shrug:

I don't think I liked this episode much at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Applewhite posted:

Book spoilers: They're saving the (removed in quote in case someone decides to edit it out later) for the season finale aren't they? I don't remember it taking this long in the books.

Yes, clearly. They've pulled a lot of events forward and have been adding a few side stories for the characters so it lands conveniently there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Applewhite posted:

Book spoilers: They're saving the (book spoiler) for the season finale aren't they? I don't remember it taking this long in the books.

It took longer, the end of episode 1 was in issue 8. This 8 episode season is probably going to correspond to the first 12 issue super arc.

modedit: Removed spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 17, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It took longer, the end of episode 1 was in issue 8. This 8 episode season is probably going to correspond to the first 12 issue super arc.

Yeah, it's mixed up from the original. The logical end for the season is going from issues 12 into 13. Mars was initially in issue 18. Getting absolutely wrecked by battle beast was 19. This latest episode was mostly 20. So yeah looks like we're looping back to it next

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think william comes off way worse in this episode honestly. his best friend's relationship is about to fall apart and he doesn't even care.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just starting this episode but I was not expecting Justin Roiland. He was cast right for the character but you still can't help but hear the Rick-Morty voice the whole time.

Omni-man saying "I knew you'd pull through" without any concern about Mark makes me think we were right on the money with our discussion last week

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

I think william comes off way worse in this episode honestly. his best friend's relationship is about to fall apart and he doesn't even care.

iunno. they've known each other like three weeks? i'm not sure how much time has passed but if my lifelong friend was a cape i'd ask to go flying too. dudes rock

i heard his voice right away too, yeah. the first burp did it for me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Another ep6 thing: There was not enough follow up from ep5. Mark(does he even know they took down Machinehead? I can't remember if he passed out before or after that) didn't go check up with Titan. Nolan didn't give Mark some "I told you so" speech. Hell, even Deb just let Mark go on a roadtrip a week after he almost died. I guess the last one is more of a minor nitpick, but you would think she would still be a bit more concerned but I guess he heals quickly so :shrug:

I don't think I liked this episode much at all.

Yeah I agree, lots of the same feelings.

Stairmaster posted:

All of the characters come off as some amount of self-absorbed and lovely this episode, although all of them being highschool teenagers that's not exactly wrong. It can be frustrating to watch though.

The ending for William's boyfriend guy being made into a robot and being lobotomized is pretty hardcore :smith: I was really hoping he's going to end up being a robocop style hero in the long run. Cecil pointing out how strong they were may have been a nod to that being possible in the future. Although it also sounded sinister like maybe instead of locking up the bad guy in prison, Cecil is going to employ him making super-soldier armor or something.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The show takes place over a longer period than it seems, easily a couple months. They make a lot of minor comments about weeks passing or offscreen missions and it's been long enough to affect his long term grades. The dinner that Mark misses in episode 4 was meeting with her parents for their 3 month anniversary, and it's been some time since then. That's easily enough time for a fast and furious teenage relationship to hit the "love" point and they're talking about moving to uni together.

Given that, Will was a bit too dismissive but it's balanced out by Mark brushing off his worries about Rick

This episode was definitely weaker compared to last week's excellent episode, but I think if you're a comic reader it's a bit less frustrating because you know it's directly building to (minor comics spoiler)Mark telling Amber he is Invincible to repair their relationship and (major comics spoiler) the big confrontation with Omni-man. Without that context it probably feels like the Amber and investigation plots are dragging. I still thought it was very good!

(Comics) I like the Debbie plotline because while it does remove some of the trauma of the Omni-man turn ("your mother is like a pet to me"), it makes I much more believable that he spares mark and leaves crying. You can see the building internal conflict between the life he has on Earth and the acceleration of his Viltrumite goals

The gratuitous lingering rear end shot on Rick was hilarious

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 16, 2021

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think we should avoid talking about comic spoilers at all itt. Even in spoilers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Affi posted:

I think we should avoid talking about comic spoilers at all itt. Even in spoilers.

They're for the next episode, and partially in the trailer. But sorry, I won't mention it again. It just contextualises this episode.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

getting pretty sick of the relationship misunderstanding stuff. i don't think it'd be as bad if they were 22 minute episodes

yeah. especially them doing the old mark disappears/invincible appears mid-battle, with amber being none the wiser. i get what they’re building towards, but it’s very tired

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

double negative posted:

yeah. especially them doing the old mark disappears/invincible appears mid-battle, with amber being none the wiser. i get what they’re building towards, but it’s very tired

Yeah, but the long pause on William before he blurts out “Mark?!” was goddamn hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Affi posted:

Yeah I agree, and its in the OP.

Also mixing spoilers between just-aired episodes and comics is a recipe for accidental serious spoilers. (although good job to those who have so far at least been clear about "book spoiler" on their tags, thanks)

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I agree, lots of the same feelings.

All of the characters come off as some amount of self-absorbed and lovely this episode, although all of them being highschool teenagers that's not exactly wrong. It can be frustrating to watch though.

The ending for William's boyfriend guy being made into a robot and being lobotomized is pretty hardcore :smith: I was really hoping he's going to end up being a robocop style hero in the long run. Cecil pointing out how strong they were may have been a nod to that being possible in the future. Although it also sounded sinister like maybe instead of locking up the bad guy in prison, Cecil is going to employ him making super-soldier armor or something.

I know I was a poo poo as a teen but I hope I wasn't quite this self absorbed and just willfully arrogantly naive. I probably was. Enjoyed the episode alright but agree on some of the frustration and glad we aren't spending 30 episodes with these characters being this same way. Hoping they stop the secret identity thing as I will 100% back up that, while I know the reasons for it and all, it just feels a bit tired. Tho Atom Even is cool and I can't wait to see where this goes.... I know it will be tragic. Also like Robot's drone talk and wonder how much show Robot uses that, both in battle and day to day affairs? I know if I could make a duplicate sit around meetings about legal and business bollocks I would.

Yeah that [spoil stuff] was brutal. Wonder if we will ever see Will's BF again.

Making sure I didn't miss it but did Omniman kill Mark Hamill's costume maker? I didn't see it so I'm guessing no. I wonder how cold ShowOmniman will be and if he is conflicted at all with what he has done. I hope Nolan doesn't hurt the missus as she doesn't seem to be just meekly accepting Omni's taking the piss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doom2020! posted:

Making sure I didn't miss it but did Omniman kill Mark Hamill's costume maker? I didn't see it so I'm guessing no. I wonder how cold ShowOmniman will be and if he is conflicted at all with what he has done. I hope Nolan doesn't hurt the missus as she doesn't seem to be just meekly accepting Omni's taking the piss.

I don't think so. I think he was confident enough that his threats would keep him from saying anything or stirring anything up. But I could totally see that happening and if we found out that it happened off-screen at the next episode, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Not really a spoiler, but it seems like all the problems I see people having with this episode stem from the changes they made from the comic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why exactly is Robot so close with Monster Girl again? Both characters feeling 'misunderstood' and 'outsiders' feels like a stretch in a universe full of aliens, cyborgs and super beings. Because it was really contrasted with Black Sampson.

Why didn't Cecil tell Omniman he sent Darkblood back to hell? I would figure that would be reassuring and Cecil could play that to his advantage if he knew nobody was investigating him anymore. Acting like they still have him around is going to make Omniman suspicious and try harder to cover his tracks in the whole thing.

Holy poo poo the ovaries on Debbie there. But I guess knowing full well what Omniman is capable of kind of puts you past fear, because what could you do?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Because he doesn't want Nolan to know the mud people are on to him. It would be very suspicious.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Even knowing what Nolan is capable of he’s still not as scary as Homelander.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder, when I said no book spoilers I meant no book spoilers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

I've never read Savage Dragon is it unequivocally good?

I'm obviously incredibly biased, but I honestly think it's one of the best books that has ever been published. It's so much more than it's traditionally linear comic book story, it's a creative tour de force that encompasses the entire history of comics. Larsen bridges the gap between indie publisher and the established status quo, and in that position he can incorporate the best of both worlds in his narrative. Savage Dragon's storyline runs in real time, but it also runs through almost every facet of comics storytelling imaginable. Larsen tears down and reconstructs the book constantly, the real time nature of the storytelling turns the narrative into an ongoing thesis on the format of comic books itself. Whether it's Daredevil-style man on the street stories or FF-style cosmic adventures, to the flip side and turning the book into a Fabulous Furry Freak Bros road trip, or a R. Crumb inspired sex romp, every choice Larsen makes is informed by the history of the format itself. He's also constantly playing with his art style. The early 90s Image style eventually gives way to a more Kirby-esque influence as the series goes on (the book goes full Kamandi around issue 75), but he's also experimented with heavy inks ala Frank Miller and the very open line art of the European artists. One of his recent issues (252) was a salute to the classic Sunday funnies, every page dedicated to a different comic strip and the art style associated with it.

It's also one of the few places where you can see characters grow in real time as well. I think the only other time I've seen this type of storytelling mastered was in the movie Boyhood. Watching Malcolm Dragon grow from a baby in the late 90s to an adult man with his own passions and motivations has been a journey like no other, he's truly one of the most unique characters of the 21st century, and it's exciting knowing that in the coming years we can watch his children grow and experience a whole new ride through their eyes.

also, there's boobies and people exploding into chunks.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 17, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah this episode was a bit weaker than the previous weeks but it was still fun getting to this point in the plot so soon. Last two episodes are gonna be pretty intense.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

It's also one of the few places where you can see characters grow in real time as well. I think the only other time I've seen this type of storytelling mastered was in the movie Boyhood.

Astro City does the real-time thing and it whips a TON of rear end.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

E6

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Why exactly is Robot so close with Monster Girl again? Both characters feeling 'misunderstood' and 'outsiders' feels like a stretch in a universe full of aliens, cyborgs and super beings. Because it was really contrasted with Black Sampson.

Why didn't Cecil tell Omniman he sent Darkblood back to hell? I would figure that would be reassuring and Cecil could play that to his advantage if he knew nobody was investigating him anymore. Acting like they still have him around is going to make Omniman suspicious and try harder to cover his tracks in the whole thing.

Holy poo poo the ovaries on Debbie there. But I guess knowing full well what Omniman is capable of kind of puts you past fear, because what could you do?

Cecil knows Darkblood was investigating Omniman for the murder of the Guardians. He knows it and he sent Darkblood back to hell in order to keep him off Omni-man's trail. As a result, he can't say "hey I sent Darkblood back to hell" or Omni-man will go "uh, why now all of a sudden?" and it'll make him suspicious.

Even if Cecil says "don't worry buddy I would never doubt you, that demon was crazy!" it still might make Omniman worry that Cecil could later put 2 and 2 together.

Cecil is willing to sacrifice Darkblood just to keep Omni-man from so much as an inkling that Cecil may be on to him. Cecil is straight up terrified of Omniman, as he should be. He'd rather Omniman think he was never under investigation rather than say that Darkblood was looking into it and then Cecil decided to send him away because he was wrong? Omni would be suspicious that Cecil would look into things more.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would say its just weak writing that Nolan killed the guardians in the way he did and that he ever thought he wouldn't be the prime suspect.

I mean it's possible that Nolan figures they probably know or suspect but that they rightly are too terrified to do anything about it.

I also have to suspend my disbelief that Nolan actually kept his costume all bloody and torn up for like months in a plastic bag and just didn't throw it into the sun.

That's fine. It's still a good series that I really dig.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Affi posted:

I would say its just weak writing that Nolan killed the guardians in the way he did and that he ever thought he wouldn't be the prime suspect.

I mean it's possible that Nolan figures they probably know or suspect but that they rightly are too terrified to do anything about it.

I figured he wasn't planning on staying around but the team put up enough of a fight to knock him out. If he had been able to leave after killing everyone, he might not have been suspected.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Heliotrope posted:

I figured he wasn't planning on staying around but the team put up enough of a fight to knock him out. If he had been able to leave after killing everyone, he might not have been suspected.

I'd argue that'd make him more suspicious. Attention is drawn to him by virtue of him not being there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heliotrope posted:

:agreed:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd argue that'd make him more suspicious. Attention is drawn to him by virtue of him not being there.

That doesn't make sense. Cecil's first suspects were supervillains. If Nolan hadn't been there, he probably wouldn't even have been considered. Or he could have lied and said he was doing some other hero poo poo in space. Until this incident, there was no reason to suspect that he would even do such a thing.

What Nolan should have done is just pick off the stronger ones solo, then left all the scrubs to clean up at a later date. And by pick off I mean pick up and throw into the sun. One at a time. Clearly he's not good at planning. :v:

e: It would be like if Superman wasn't part of the Justice League and then the whole league was murdered. He's been humanity's friend and a hero for decades! He's even worked with them on multiple occasions. Why would Superman kill the Justice League?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 17, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's not a member of the team, so there'd be no reason to wonder why he wasn't there. I imagine he thought he'd be able to go in there and wipe them all out and still be capable of walking/talking/moving etc, and might have even cleaned up the whole scene afterwards so the Guardians were just.... gone. Instead he accomplished his initial goal but took a way bigger rear end-beating than he thought he would, I don't think he ever intended to have to answer questions about what he saw or why he was there etc.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I am I the only person who thought Darkblood's notebook was just a bunch of gibberish? I guess people saying he was pretty ineffective in the books stays true in the show.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

starkebn posted:

I am I the only person who thought Darkblood's notebook was just a bunch of gibberish? I guess people saying he was pretty ineffective in the books stays true in the show.

It looked like the notes of someone writing only for themselves. Mostly reminders and brainstorming, no need to fully write out full cogent explanations. I think it was realistic in that sense

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, Omniman isn't a member of the Super Earth Friends? (or whatever they're called)

I assumed he was, because he's there helping them out at the start, and his wife and the Flash's wife seem to be doing that military wives club thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wait, Omniman isn't a member of the Super Earth Friends? (or whatever they're called)

I assumed he was, because he's there helping them out at the start, and his wife and the Flash's wife seem to be doing that military wives club thing.

No, he's a solo guy - iirc Cecil even mentions something wondering about why Omniman was even there at the Guardians HQ.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BurritoJustice posted:

It looked like the notes of someone writing only for themselves. Mostly reminders and brainstorming, no need to fully write out full cogent explanations. I think it was realistic in that sense

yeah, but it's not like leaving it for someone else to find has much of a point in that case

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The notes look a lot like those of a guy I work with, Mr "Me from 3 weeks ago".

Hate that guy, and his crappy notes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Affi posted:

I also have to suspend my disbelief that Nolan actually kept his costume all bloody and torn up for like months in a plastic bag and just didn't throw it into the sun.

That's fine. It's still a good series that I really dig.

TBF, part of his character is his massive arrogance. He believes he is a literal ubermensch, so he underestimates the humans around him. I can believe it as a weakness of ego that he thought he'd be able to easily get away with it and then things didn't quite go as he planned.

Nah, Cecil wanted him for the super friends but Omniman always turned him down. He works alone (wonder why lol).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Even knowing what Nolan is capable of he’s still not as scary as Homelander.

I always have this same thought ever episode. Omni-man is capable of way more destruction but he’s pretty stable and capable of acting in a way that won’t hurt him in the long term. Homelander is mentally hosed up in every way and you never know when he’ll lash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nolan would conquer the world and rule with an iron fist

Homelander would kill everyone in a horrible rage.