Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Pachinkrimental is fun as heck but it goes quick; some kind of prestige mechanic would go a long way towards giving it some staying power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh does it not actually have a prestige mechanic. lol

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yeah it doesn't and I finished it in 8 hours apparently lol. That's the problem with math fudging, sometimes your idle game ends up being 8 hours long.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

it is very new with basically daily updates.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, I played it maybe a couple weeks ago when it was brand new and it already has easily double the content it did then, based on my nearly finished run of the new version.

It's a neat concept and if they keep up the pace with the updates it could end up being really great.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any trepidation i had with ngu industries' mechanics when i started playing has been replaced with the grim certainty that im going to be playing it for at least the next few months

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Venuz Patrol posted:

any trepidation i had with ngu industries' mechanics when i started playing has been replaced with the grim certainty that im going to be playing it for at least the next few months

Yeah, NGUI is an interesting one, it's far more idle than I'm used to in a good way

Like, you just set the thing up and let it run for a while and then you come back to it, there's very little active to be done and that feels intentional in the "you literally cannot make any more progress today" Animal Crossing way

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wish it had more than 1 day worth of offline progress

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
I'm enjoying NGU industries so far. When I played Factorio, balancing production chains was the fun part for me, and I'm getting plenty of that here.

I wonder if there could be any way for the interface to indicate that an intermediary resource isn't a bottleneck even though it's red. For example, suppose you're trying to make cogs. Your iron ore tile produces one iron ore per second. Your iron bar tile consumes ten iron ore and produces ten iron bars a second. Your cog tile consumes one iron bar and produces one cog every second. The UI correctly indicates in red that you're not producing enough iron ore to satisfy your iron bar tile. But ultimately you don't care that your iron bar tile is working at 10% capacity, because 10% is enough to completely satisfy your cog tile indefinitely.

If you have a lot of free space, it's easy enough to put everything in the blue by building nine more iron ore tiles and nine more cog tiles. But when I've filled all available space to build a single high tier tile and its fifty distinct intermediary ingredients, it would be nice to know which red indicators I can safely ignore. (Or perhaps figuring it out on paper is also part of the fun.)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. I felt that way too but after a while upgrades space out and the game slows down enough that I just put in on daily view and can quickly see for anything red do I have more than a few hours worth. If I do I don't bother placing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Original Flavor NGU question: I'm just hitting late Evil (killed Exile v1 a few days ago) and I'm black barring my NGUs with 10-20% of my EM. My Wishes are still bottlenecked by R3, so I'm not sure what to do about the excess. Does this mean now's the time to start spending XP on adventure stats and emphasizing R3 over EM? Should I wear more daycare/wish gear instead of NGU speed and EM power/cap? Not sure what the best play is here.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What's the best clicker on Android these days?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Original Flavor NGU question: I'm just hitting late Evil (killed Exile v1 a few days ago) and I'm black barring my NGUs with 10-20% of my EM. My Wishes are still bottlenecked by R3, so I'm not sure what to do about the excess. Does this mean now's the time to start spending XP on adventure stats and emphasizing R3 over EM? Should I wear more daycare/wish gear instead of NGU speed and EM power/cap? Not sure what the best play is here.

end of evil to get through exile is when folks start to recommend adv stats. most of my exp in sad was adventure stats, with almost all the rest being r3. spend whatever excess EM you have on augs/TM/blood/whatever but ultimately your goal right now should be to get through exile asap so you can get to sad and pick up some of the sad only poo poo/challenges. Hack days are still good for this purpose but you're getting to the first big EXP spending shift soon.

it's still a pretty long grind though

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Cartridgeblowers posted:

What's the best clicker on Android these days?

There are a couple good idlers on Android. NGU isn't, but both Idling to Rule the Gods (the game that inspired NGU) and Wizard and Minion Idle (a game inspired by NGU) are there and they're worth playing.

There's also Idle Skilling and Legends of Idleon, though Idleon is admittedly more of a Idle/MMO hybrid.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Both of those aren’t on iOS sadly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

any advice for scoring the highroller trial in Incremental Adventures?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay, tell me if I'm correct about this: in NGU, the Minimum Wish Time reduction perks only make you able to reduce wish times by throwing more resources at them than you normally would, lowering that floor, and if you don't have enough resources that the wish time with maximum resources isn't already 4 hours they will not do anything at all for you.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, tell me if I'm correct about this: in NGU, the Minimum Wish Time reduction perks only make you able to reduce wish times by throwing more resources at them than you normally would, lowering that floor, and if you don't have enough resources that the wish time with maximum resources isn't already 4 hours they will not do anything at all for you.

As I understand it, this is correct. Coupled with the facts that 1) you'll rarely run a desirable wish at that is at 4hrs minimum anyways and 2) you want to be running multiple wishes because scaling of concurrent wishes and resources allocated to each wish always means concurrent wishes is always faster than focusing on single one.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

As I understand it, this is correct. Coupled with the facts that 1) you'll rarely run a desirable wish at that is at 4hrs minimum anyways and 2) you want to be running multiple wishes because scaling of concurrent wishes and resources allocated to each wish always means concurrent wishes is always faster than focusing on single one.

Yeah, I've got three slots and I want to always be running them due to that scaling. It kind of sucks- I'm at the point where I make ~1.4 PP/sec or ~120K/day and there's just nothing exciting to buy other than waiting several days for card tier raises. Right now I'm basically working on piling EXP into my E/M/R3 so I can knock out Wishes before buying up enough Adventure stats to take a run at Exile v4 and without a new Adventure Zone or Titan level around the corner it does feel a bit wheel-spinny even though my stuff is getting better.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
To get past exile v4 I just took a 3 week vacation and let advanced training build. Not optimal, obviously, but don’t forget AT when it comes to adventure mode humps (especially in mid-Sad where the zones are like... 1.5x the previous zone’s requirement

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, I've got three slots and I want to always be running them due to that scaling. It kind of sucks- I'm at the point where I make ~1.4 PP/sec or ~120K/day and there's just nothing exciting to buy other than waiting several days for card tier raises. Right now I'm basically working on piling EXP into my E/M/R3 so I can knock out Wishes before buying up enough Adventure stats to take a run at Exile v4 and without a new Adventure Zone or Titan level around the corner it does feel a bit wheel-spinny even though my stuff is getting better.

Spokes posted:

To get past exile v4 I just took a 3 week vacation and let advanced training build. Not optimal, obviously, but don’t forget AT when it comes to adventure mode humps (especially in mid-Sad where the zones are like... 1.5x the previous zone’s requirement

If you're just looking to kill Exile v4 to move into Sadistic and you've already killed boss 301 in Evil or are close to, DEFINITELY do a long rebirth until you can manual him (and optionally, manual him 24 times so you can AK him forever). The main reason you 24hr RB is for Ygg fruits' first harvest bonus, which is undeniably nice, but not as important as progress if you're gated purely on Adventure stats.

Plus, I entered Sadistic recently and I'm re gated so much more by time (not really spoilers but 2nd Troll Challenge reward is that a 24hr RB is just as effective as twelve 30m RBs for MacGuffins, which results in HUGE gains for each one you have equipped. And if you got Beast Fertilizer Perk, your RBs can be ~23hrs, which means a MacGuffin Muffin can hit two 23hr rebirths if you time it right for even crazier gains.). Access to Sadistic NGUs is also big, even if you're just hitting their soft caps.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Plus, I entered Sadistic recently and I'm re gated so much more by time (not really spoilers but 2nd Troll Challenge reward is that a 24hr RB is just as effective as twelve 30m RBs for MacGuffins, which results in HUGE gains for each one you have equipped. And if you got Beast Fertilizer Perk, your RBs can be ~23hrs, which means a MacGuffin Muffin can hit two 23hr rebirths if you time it right for even crazier gains.). Access to Sadistic NGUs is also big, even if you're just hitting their soft caps.

Very much this; every 24-hour rebirth you do in Sadistic will be more effective than one in Evil, so dipping on efficiency in the short-term to move up in difficulties will benefit you in the long run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
NGU Industries: Any way to increase research juice production past normal? I'm at candy land now, and flesh, tron and candy juice production are all still at 1x.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Broken Cog posted:

NGU Industries: Any way to increase research juice production past normal? I'm at candy land now, and flesh, tron and candy juice production are all still at 1x.

Have you seen the BDSM upgrades in the work orders panel?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Running With Spoons posted:

Have you seen the BDSM upgrades in the work orders panel?

Oh yeah, I forgot those existed since I've been using everything for relics. Cheers!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I've been playing Your Chronicle on steam recently and it's seemed decent so far. Its not quite as idle as I'd like but its scratching a lot of the same itches as stuff like Theory of Magic

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

From what I remember Your Chronicle gets more and more idle as the game goes along. I quit playing it because eventually managing food became way too much of an active chore, but like I know you eventually get upgrades that let you automate that as well.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Lilli posted:

I've been playing Your Chronicle on steam recently and it's seemed decent so far. Its not quite as idle as I'd like but its scratching a lot of the same itches as stuff like Theory of Magic

Yup, it showed in the the thread in the distant past as the beta was released on kongregate (then updated after kong stopped accepting submissions). The Steam version has slightly more content but is still the same game. I'm playing it again from scratch on Steam and just finished my first reincarnation. There looks to be a lot more post reincarnation content but the core game seems about the same.

Comparing it to Theory of Magic is absolutely apt, but it does enough different and I rank it a bit higher.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Do I need to keep all my Mayo generators going to maximize the 2% bonus from extra generators?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pope Guilty posted:

Do I need to keep all my Mayo generators going to maximize the 2% bonus from extra generators?

No, the 2% bonus just goes onto your overall speed boost, and then total speed is divided by the number running simultaneously.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

A tiny NGU Industries bug: when I load the game and go to the Work Orders page, I can't change the size from Medium to Tiny, there's a checkbox next to Tiny but when the dropdown closes it still says Medium. I have to change it to Small and then Tiny, which works.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Work Order scaling feels hosed to me. A 'Tiny' order of Crappy Reactors that I just did took almost 12 hours for me after dedicating 1/2 of the first map just to production-boosted Crappy Reactor makers (with the rest of the production chain supporting that taking up even more space) and, allegedly, it's supposed to be a 1-2 hour affair.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see any of those being a 1 hour affair. I have a t1 candy item in my current work order and with no research or other upgrades available it's gonna take probably 36 hours on all four maps, plus the other five items I gotta do.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Megazver posted:

The Work Order scaling feels hosed to me. A 'Tiny' order of Crappy Reactors that I just did took almost 12 hours for me after dedicating 1/2 of the first map just to production-boosted Crappy Reactor makers (with the rest of the production chain supporting that taking up even more space) and, allegedly, it's supposed to be a 1-2 hour affair.

(NGU-I) I'm not sure if the equation used for determining your production capability uses available map space, techs unlocked, and/or research purchased. It kind of feels like, right now, techs unlocked is the primary variable it uses to determine production ability and it assumes you have ~so much research, but if your research has fallen behind it'll take much longer than the estimated time for each order size.

Personally, I just grab a CHONKER for the bonus and wait a few days for my production to increase before actually trying to fill the order, but that's only if you don't mind star income being a slow trickle.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For reference:

Tiny - 1-2 hours. Chonker - UP TO a day, OMG!

There is 100% a comma misplaced somewhere. I've been playing non-stop for almost a week now and I couldn't upgrade any Relics that need BDSM yet, it's so stingy.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 17, 2021

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
the typos i've found in the story and stuff are really funny so far. i am pretty sure 4g barely scraped through spelling in school

e: love u somethingggg

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
I like the new NGU Industries update. The orange and yellow production loss colors are a versatile configurable tool, and they should do a lot of good for all the people upthread that got a sense of impending doom from factory layouts with a lot of red. If anyone bounced off the game because of the fear of rolling resource brownouts, now's a great time to hop back in.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Evolve: Help me out here, I've been playing for ages, got like 140% mastery, 20k plasmids, 4k phage, and just did my first attunement. How do I get anything done in cataclysm mode? It looks like I'm gonna need power first, and a geothermal plant's maybe 2.5 hours away from the start.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

magicalblender posted:

I like the new NGU Industries update. The orange and yellow production loss colors are pretty.

Now how do we get a rainbow of colors out of these production colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
somethingggg, please implement a custom scripting language that lets us dynamically assign any 24 bit RGB color to each gain/loss count