Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

"Last but not least, check your altimeter" is the perfect line to crash on that I can't help but wonder if it was intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've got an idea: how about they don't add a single new point of interest until they have Direct-To working properly on the GPS?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"Last but not least, check your altimeter" is the perfect line to crash on that I can't help but wonder if it was intentional

Honestly they should keep that, it's a funny way to end it and drive home the point

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is Notre Dame a smouldering ruin or is my immersion still destroyed ???
:mad:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

I've got an idea: how about they don't add a single new point of interest until they have Direct-To working properly on the GPS?

Seconded. Basic poo poo has to get prioritized.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not sure the 3d modellers know how to fix sim avionic systems but you know what? They can't do any worse.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 14, 2021

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

I was considering if I wanted to re-install everything and this answered my question.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVK1jnnYVY

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

DCS 2.7 Patch Notes

Excited to give it a shot this afternoon. I fly the F-18 more than anything lately and I find the new FLIR plus all the radar updates very welcome.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah I'm a big F-18 fan too. Weirdly, one of the things I'm most excited about is its new autopilot features that will auto-follow waypoints, auto-navigate to TCS broadcasting airstrips along whatever flight path you set, etc.

Maybe it's no coincidence that all the auto pilot stuff is releasing along with the new cloud systems.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The clouds look better, but are they synced in multiplayer yet?

quote:

• Currently as part of the initial release, clouds do not affect LOS for the AI.

lol no surprise there

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

The clouds look better, but are they synced in multiplayer yet?

They should be.

The don't effect radar though.

Sounds like DCS is having a 50% off sale to go with the patch. Time to finally get the Flaming Cliffs package so I can use the goofy F-22 mod.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I mentioned that I'd built a rig a few months ago, but everything was messy and unphotogenic. I've fixed some of that, though there is still some cable-management to do, but I am not abjectly ashamed of the room anymore, so PICTURES!

First is how I use it during general use. I do slide the seat forward when I'm using primarily mouse and keyboard, but its nigh-impossible to get into in that configuration, so I generally leave the seat back.

Second is using it for flight sims:

And a detail of the stick position and bonus cat:

And finally, driving mode:

Even if you don't go as crazy as building a rig like this, I cannot recommend center-mounting the warthog highly enough. It's amazing.

Issues I still have to rectify involve new rudder pedals and new driving pedals. The original intent for driving pedals was to inverse-mount them, but the loving brake pedal doesn't work properly when they're upside down, so I had to move them there. They slightly impinge on the brake axis of the rudder pedals when at full deflection, but it's not a major issue for the time being. The Saitek Combat pedals were cheap when they were new, and now feel like they're full of gravel, so it's almost time for an upgrade there as well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Clouds in DCS look as good as advertised. Flying through a rain storm feels great.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Clouds in DCS look as good as advertised. Flying through a rain storm feels great.

What's the performance impact look like?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

What's the performance impact look like?

Seems like performance has improved over 2.5, for me at least.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Trillhouse posted:

Sounds like DCS is having a 50% off sale to go with the patch.

Ugh, right after I've just gotten back into flight simming and ordered new hardware.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That's a pretty impressive pillow to cat size ratio.

Also, awesome setup. I wish I had room to even consider something like this.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Going to get the F-18, should I also get Supercarrier or Syria? (Already have NTTR, the OG A10, and Huey)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

JayKay posted:

Going to get the F-18, should I also get Supercarrier or Syria? (Already have NTTR, the OG A10, and Huey)

Supercarrier is fun. Worth the money? Dunno, what's money worth to you? It does add immersion, but hardly any function. I really like SuperCarrier and I never want to use the vanilla boat anymore.

Persian Gulf and Syria are both Grade-A purchase.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 14, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JayKay posted:

Yes.
Syria is in strong competition for “the second module you should buy”, tied with Persian Gulf.
The carrier certainly makes the Hornet more interesting, but isn't nearly as required for anything unless you are in the particular mood for slightly less useless (but still very unclear and often late) ATC instructions.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

JayKay posted:

I have both and get more use out of the Supercarrier. It's just so loving cool to see all the guys running around. Most careers and multiplayer servers support it too.

Syria doesn't have any careers (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and not many servers support it because most people don't have it so server population is low.

My opinion is basically "Play mostly career and/or multiplayer? Supercarrier. Like to solo fly or make your own missions? Syria".

Edit: Supercarrier comes with the SU-33 and Kuznetsov carrier too. SU-33 has a non-clickable cockpit but it's still pretty cool.

Syria has a fun (but hard) custom mission for the Huey where you fly around r Beirut responding to randomized non-combat calls. I play it in the Huey all the time.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 14, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Syria at War server is really good though, since they don't have AMRAAMs.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

After the recent nerfs, the 9X is probably better anyway. How long before we see videos of a sidewinder getting kills 30nm out?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Is it the new Hoggit one? I haven't gotten a chance to play it but it seems cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like the D3D12 stuff (or a dev version) is already in MSFS, but I can't figure out how to enable it. The game has "-d3d11" and "-d3d12" strings defined in the main executable, but they don't do anything.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 14, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

i am kiss u now posted:

After the recent nerfs, the 9X is probably better anyway. How long before we see videos of a sidewinder getting kills 30nm out?

I don't think it has the 9X either, it's mostly just older missiles.

Trillhouse posted:

Is it the new Hoggit one? I haven't gotten a chance to play it but it seems cool.

Yeah that's the one, I've not had the chance to play it yet either but I've heard nothing but great things.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone looking to dress up their sim pit?

https://twitter.com/XboxFR/status/1382011655509381123?s=20

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I was playing this a bit last night with my Quest 2 and 3080 on pretty high settings/resolution and even though the frame rate was crap it was really, really immersive. They really need to get DLSS going on this thing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I received a reverb g2 today and played around in msfs a bit. Tooling around vfr is quite fun but the image is a little blurry. I wear glasses (and my eyes don't quite have the same required correction) but every other vr thing I've tried in the past had something that let you adjust the focus.

Frame rate is actually pretty good as long as you don't whip your head around a lot. Must be the reprojection thing masking the real frame rate.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant is In Stock at the X-Plane ORG Store

Edit: WAS in stock for about 15 minutes. :v:

Edit 2: "Sales Paused - Check back in a few hours"

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 16, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Availability: Not for Sale.

That was fast.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Zero One posted:

Availability: Not for Sale.

That was fast.

Still showing as in-stock for me.

Edit: The site was getting hammered pretty hard right before I posted previously.

Edit edit: out of stock as of 2:30 PM EST.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 16, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I didn't really care for the Supercarrier DLC when I try it on free weeks. Adds some guys milling around on the boat and lagged ATC calls. It's kinda neat but it's not really fleshed out. They say there's gonna be a ready room and briefing room in it, and the screens look promising, but it's like what, 30 bucks on sale? I'd rather have a plane or a map over that.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Someone is making a GTN750 module for MSFS and the free (beta) version is really neat to play with. Tried it with the Caravan and it's a very welcome addition to be honest, curious where this is gonna go. It certainly looks the part. He's also making a more fully-features payware version.

https://pms50.com/msfs/

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I played the new DCS patch last night and was really impressed. I was underwhelmed when I first heard the only major feature was new clouds, but they ended up being a much bigger deal than I expected. Not just the graphics, but the gameplay implications too. You actually have to consider the weather when you plan a mission now. It also helps the scale and atmosphere of the game as you travel through sunny spots and then dark areas under heavy clouds. It's cool!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trillhouse posted:

I played the new DCS patch last night and was really impressed. I was underwhelmed when I first heard the only major feature was new clouds, but they ended up being a much bigger deal than I expected. Not just the graphics, but the gameplay implications too. You actually have to consider the weather when you plan a mission now. It also helps the scale and atmosphere of the game as you travel through sunny spots and then dark areas under heavy clouds. It's cool!

I’m the first to throw rocks at ED, but 2.7 has honestly been a great patch. A couple major new features, a ton of little ones, and no game-killing bugs or instabilities.

I’m sure they’ll be back to form for the next major patch...

:v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It crashed to desktop the first time I tried to load an airplane after the update. Nice to know that in this crazy world some things are still a constant.

Since then it's been alright. For now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man, I'm downloading super slow with the updater now like I did when the game first released... also could they please stop using loving Mbits to measure download speed. What the gently caress is with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An Mbit is one eighth of an Mbyte. Divide the value by 8 to get a more useful number