Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Arthil posted:

I'm almost terrified to wonder what some of ya'll's opinions on Polyamory are.

Most of my friends are poly so it varies! Some of them clearly have gone a bit too far and have rendered themselves inaccessible for all free time is taken up by maintenance dates. Others you'd just never notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think trying to compare Ed Greenwood's gross masturbation fantasies to actual polyamorous relationships does a major disservice to the poly community. Polyamorous relationships can definitely be featured and explored within the lore of a fantasy tabletop game in a reasonable and mature way.

Ed Greenwood does not write about them in a reasonable and mature way...

quote:

Every male eye below turned toward her. The lady was daring indeed, to come as an outlawed, evil being, wearing little more than a pair of gleaming black buttock-high boots, with silver heel spikes, and elbow-length gloves of the same material. Her breasts and loins were covered by little more than crisscrossing leather straps hung with spindle-shaped rock crystal stones, and a black ribbon encircled her throat. Her hair reached to the backs of her knees in a magnificent, raven-dark sweep that was bound in a cage of silver chain ending in two delicate chains, little larger than glittering threads, that hung in loops attached to the spurs of her boots. Two tiny bells hung from pointed silver medallions glued to her nipples, and she wore a calm, crooked smile that broadened as the man known as Dauntless swept up to her and proffered his arm. As she turned to display herself to him, the two gaping cousins saw that a walnut-sized diamond bulged glitteringly from her navel, and that a tiny sculpted dagger hung point downward from the cluster of diamonds and silver scrollwork at her loins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TG As An Industry: Hoho! SO many mysteries, waved before you!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you could literally put out several eyes at once with that getup.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
That must take her so long to get dressed every morning, mad respect for her dedication.

Not sure why the hell you'd chain your hair to your boots though. Also seems like being one of the multiple servants it would likely require to get into that outfit would be hella awkward.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If that lady bends over suddenly she's going to be filled with regrets.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
::bulges glitteringly::

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Only two "loins" in one paragraph? Come on, Ed, you can get a few more in there!

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
What am I looking at here? Does she have a dagger (a dagger-shaped medallion?) bouncing around on her puss? Is that dangerous?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Arivia's excellent posts never disappoint.

I feel like what Arivia posted was positively tame compared to what people post about her regularly on these forums. I understand giving out a probation to stop what is obviously a very pointless argument from escalating, but it feels really lovely to see posts like this after that probation.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
some primo "breasted boobily" prose

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So either she's forced to take tiny steps, unable to bend over or sit down, or she has chain in her hair and boots that drag along the floor? Neither option actually seem that good. This really comes off as someone trying for maximum sexualization rather than actually sexy.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Temple of the Frog God, 1986. Dave Arnessen.

quote:

You are piling your loot on the table, speculating about who your victims were when a voice from the doorway intones, "Actually, I think I can answer your questions." When you turn towards the speaker, you find youself looking at a blonde, blue eyed female. Beneath a silver grey elven cloak, she wears a fine shirt of gleaming chainmail. At her side hangs a heavy looking sword of archaic pattern

The lady ignores you while she uses a wickedly curved dagger to dig the seeds from a pomegranate she is holding in her left hand. After a moment, she ever so carefully lifts the razor-sharp blade free of the pomegranate and uses it to feed a row of fleshy blood-red seeds into her open mouth, throwing back her gold-crowned head to let the sweet red juice trickle down her throat. When she lowers her head, a stream of carmine juice stains her chin, and she smiles insolently like some great hunting cat that has just tasted the first blood of a new-killed antelope.

That's block text. Ruda Malefor's acting out a shampoo ad as part of her pitch to send the PCs time traveling to... look, I'm not sure. But she was a reoccurring character, and she always acted like that. DMs were expected to act this lunatic out for the players.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

quote:

When you turn towards the speaker, you find youself looking at a blonde, blue eyed female.

Man, is there any more blatant indication someone has bad takes on women than using the words "female" and "woman" interchangeably?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Temple of the Frog God, 1986. Dave Arnessen.

That's block text. Ruda Malefor's acting out a shampoo ad as part of her pitch to send the PCs time traveling to... look, I'm not sure. But she was a reoccurring character, and she always acted like that. DMs were expected to act this lunatic out for the players.
I could see this character working as a kind of comical try-hard super-goffick doomslayer whose PAIN you do not UNDERSTAND, but this was written in 1986 - I don't think that archetype had been invented yet. This seems serious.

I think the chainmail lady needs a napkin.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Nessus posted:

I could see this character working as a kind of comical try-hard super-goffick doomslayer whose PAIN you do not UNDERSTAND, but this was written in 1986 - I don't think that archetype had been invented yet. This seems serious.

I think the chainmail lady needs a napkin.

That kind of does make me want to see a modern table run through some of these old adventures and instead of being awestruck by the awesome obviously super powerful sexy quest-giver instead just be vaguely sorry for her. Stretch their roleplaying muscles to see what fremdschämen looks like on an elf.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KingKalamari posted:

Man, is there any more blatant indication someone has bad takes on women than using the words "female" and "woman" interchangeably?
Using female as a noun is a pretty big :redflag:

We even have an emoticon dedicated to it: :females:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Don't we have more appropriate threads for dwelling on contextless lovely neckbeard trash from the 80s?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My takeaway from that text is that this woman says something specifically to get the PCs' attention, then completely ignores them in order to messily eat a pomegranate.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Toshimo posted:

Don't we have more appropriate threads for dwelling on contextless lovely neckbeard trash from the 80s?

You're in luck, there's a whole thread just for Dungeons and Dragons!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Rhandhali posted:

More board games, but Shaun Varsos, the shipping manager for Van Ryder Games and wife beater, murdered his ex wife and her mother. He got shot by one of them in the process, then proceeded to drive away and eat his own gun.

Jesus loving God.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

My takeaway from that text is that this woman says something specifically to get the PCs' attention, then completely ignores them in order to messily eat a pomegranate.

I would be pretty okay with "your stern, portentous quest-giver is struggling with the local food" becoming a canned-module trope, tbh.

"Okay, you arrive at the Royal Banquet and track down the Elvish ambassador. He's, uh -- actually, Fez, you remember hearing in wizard school that Elfland isn't big on cutlery. The Ambassador's got his fork clutched in his fist and he's trying desperately to impale his parsley without making a scene. He's sweating. How do you introduce yourselves?"

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
vibrating feverishly as i try to cancel ed loving greenwood

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antivehicular posted:

I would be pretty okay with "your stern, portentous quest-giver is struggling with the local food" becoming a canned-module trope, tbh.

"Okay, you arrive at the Royal Banquet and track down the Elvish ambassador. He's, uh -- actually, Fez, you remember hearing in wizard school that Elfland isn't big on cutlery. The Ambassador's got his fork clutched in his fist and he's trying desperately to impale his parsley without making a scene. He's sweating. How do you introduce yourselves?"

I tell him the sheep's eyeballs are a local delicacy and to make sure he tries them before he leaves.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Antivehicular posted:

Human at a halfling table loaded for three meals at once, with a firm grasp of what he believes the etiquette rules to be (constructed after a few hours of watching whatever halfling take whatever they wanted) about to have the entire social house of cards collapse when a ten-year-old sneaks something from the chocolate plate.

Halfling at a dwarf spread about to make the common and almost certainly regrettable mistake of pouring out the firesalt like it was rustgrain (a much milder "pouring spice" cut with coarse-grain flour).

Dwarf in Elfland just gonna eat half the centerpiece. It's pretty tasty! And hardly a threat to a dwarven constitution, but it's the centerpiece.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Orc at human table wishing she'd eaten before showing up, as horrified realisation dawns that what she assumed was a chicken is in fact the chicken and will therefore be divided before being served out (which does explain the lack of proper cutlery...)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A dryad noble, struggling to appear composed and regal while his his feet drink nourishment from the soup.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

A Shardmind only realizes as the spoonful of soup they just tried to eat dribbles down their chin that they don't actually have a mouth...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generically: <Visiting background person> suddenly experiencing deathly silence and icy stares realises they've hosed up beyond recovery and that <host background people> don't actually do, as a cultural thing, whatever (in retrospect, blindingly obviously not ok) thing that <visiting background person> always heard that they did, and has just proudly done with a big self-congratulatory smile on their rapidly-reddening face.

moths posted:

A dryad noble, struggling to appear composed and regal while his his feet drink nourishment from the soup.

:perfect:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 17, 2021

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

That kind of does make me want to see a modern table run through some of these old adventures and instead of being awestruck by the awesome obviously super powerful sexy quest-giver instead just be vaguely sorry for her. Stretch their roleplaying muscles to see what fremdschämen looks like on an elf.

I did run this at a modern table, because we were running 80s prepackaged adventures in 13th age as a bit, and my players just pointedly ignored her by talking over all the block text when I was just trying to get through the drat stuff. Just all gossiping about in character happenings and musing about what various NPCs are up to while she's trying to eat a pomegranate sexilly enough to make them travel twelve thousand years into the past.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Pomegranate’s gotta be one of the harder fruits to eat sexily.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

admanb posted:

Pomegranate’s gotta be one of the harder fruits to eat sexily.

Or threatingly.

Dreadlord Thazghoul haughtily gaze down at your party from his throne, as his henchmen throws you down to the ground in chains. The basalt floor scrapes your knees as you fall into a pile, exhausted from the quick march from your prison cells in the dungeon.

"Silly thieves", he snorts as he takes a pomegrenate from the tray by his side. His harem guard kneels before him with an elaborate wooden bowl, and a slave pours water into it with a golden carafe.

"Did you think you could sneak in and take my new favourite prize?" He pulls out a small knife and starts to carefully cut the pomegranate into smaller pieces that he submerges into the water. "Your precious princess will be.. wait a minute.. gently caress" Small clusters of seeds falls out of the bowl as the Dreadlord spills water on his robes. The seeds scatter across the throneroom floor.

"She will.. wait.. she... DAMMIT, Lorgutz, do you have a smaller spoon?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can see it working, you just have to get creative with it. If someone stared me square in the eye and just took a big bite out of a pomegranate like it was an apple, I would at the very least be somewhat unnerved.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

I can see it working, you just have to get creative with it. If someone stared me square in the eye and just took a big bite out of a pomegranate like it was an apple, I would at the very least be somewhat unnerved.

It seems to work for Zagreus. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Ah yes the Tony Abbott Gambit

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Obligatory

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

JohnLovely posted:

vibrating feverishly as i try to cancel ed loving greenwood

He went to bat for Beamdog over the Mizneha controversy which was pretty good

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I mean, as the one who posted all those gross Ed Greenwood quotes I will hand it to the guy that he's been notably not lovely about LGBTQ+ in tabletop gaming.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

tbh the fact that Greenwood has not been MeToo'ed yet makes me think that while he's definitely a fuckin' weirdo that puts way too much of his Magical Realm in everything he writes he's probably not a predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

admanb posted:

tbh the fact that Greenwood has not been MeToo'ed yet makes me think that while he's definitely a fuckin' weirdo that puts way too much of his Magical Realm in everything he writes he's probably not a predator.

Eastmabl posted:

Problem is that he's a big fish in that pond, so he's gets a "knock it off" at best.