Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Is the Nier series any better gameplay wise?

Sort of.

Tokyo Jungle is another interesting PS3 exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

Platinum did Automata's combat and the remake of the first one seems to be emulating it somewhat. So yes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ariong posted:

Getting probated for thread necromancy.

i know it was a different time here on the forums but this is such a funny thing to me. oh no you wanted to post in this thread? sorry should've done it sooner

reminds me of how the early incarnations of this thread used to struggle to get "off-topic" as though that's a thing a chat space can be

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

Platinum did Automata's combat and the remake of the first one seems to be emulating it somewhat. So yes.

I was worried about Platinum not doing the remake. They make my favorite action combat system.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Walla posted:

P4G: Did I screw myself out of Kanji's S Link? It's the beginning of summer vacation and I haven't hung out with him once.

Yes, so unfortunately school has to be in session in order to start the link because there's a little event you follow, meaning Kanji is locked out for the summer. Dumb, I know, but I guess not a massive issue since you can just focus on all the other links for now. Honestly P4 is the only game I haven't gotten max social links in, so I'm not totally sure what the curve looks like, but I think thats kind of how I felt in P5 too. Are you bringing a Persona of the same arcana with you to every hang-out session? That's the biggest thing that will slow you down. Things will also pick way up once you dont have to touch your social skills anymore

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

I've only played Automata so I can't be sure, but I think it's supposed to be a lot better both in terms of combat and in terms of getting to the final ending than Nier or the drakengards.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nier's gameplay is fine. It's not as good at Automata, but it's not a monotonous grind like Drak1 and it doesn't run like garbage like Drak3.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

xedo posted:

A GOOD list? No. But at the very least get yourself Tokyo Jungle!
Maybe also:
Rain
Puppeteer
Suikoden 1-4
Persona 2, 3 FES if you like Persona
Tales of Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Symphonia Chronicles if you like Tales
MGS4. And the MGS HD collection.
Mega Man Legends 1, 2, Tron Bonne.
Drakengard 3 if you like pain.
I'm not sure to what degree the Infamous, Sly, Killzone, and Ratchet & Clank games are available outside PS3.

If you want a comprehensive list check out https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/6ym1li/ps3_exclusivesnonpc_multiplatform_games_list/. Too much to point out, but look for the sections on PS3 Exclusives Not Remastered for PS4, Ps3 digital exclusives, and maybe the 7th gen games that haven't been ported forward (SOME of which will only be available on backwards compatible xbox). That page doesn't even address the ps1 and ps2 classics, most of which are about to become very very hard to find and super expensive.

nice, yeah, you know i own tokyo jungle - it's criminal that it's stuck on ps3 (at least in the west)

graces remains probably my favorite, but I like both Xillia games pretty well.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How many runs does it usually take to win at Hades

I was ready to feel smug winning on my third attempt but then I got beat pretty bad by I don't know why I'm spoilering this Hades I assume he has multiple forms and stuff but I think I only got like a third of his health off. I was using the sword and I had that one power up that lets you regain life when you land attacks which felt a little OP

i was doing pretty well on my second attempt too using the bow but somehow lost to the minotaur

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I was ready to feel smug winning on my third attempt but then I got beat pretty bad by I don't know why I'm spoilering this Hades I assume he has multiple forms and stuff but I think I only got like a third of his health off. I was using the sword and I had that one power up that lets you regain life when you land attacks which felt a little OP

i was doing pretty well on my second attempt too using the bow but somehow lost to the minotaur

I took 30 runs for my first victory, which is a bit below average.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so sad NEO TWEWY's PC release is an eggs exclusive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

drat she cracked the code

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Videogames this made me think of you

https://twitter.com/JamesTurner_42/status/1382963496124563456?s=20

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

*looks at Touhou* Can't argue with this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tired: NEO TWEWY
wired: 2WEWY

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The World Ends with NEW!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

tired: NEO TWEWY
wired: 2WEWY

I wish it came out earlier so it could be the world ends wii u

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hwurmp posted:

I took 30 runs for my first victory, which is a bit below average.

Yeah I think my first clear was around 28

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes, so unfortunately school has to be in session in order to start the link because there's a little event you follow, meaning Kanji is locked out for the summer. Dumb, I know, but I guess not a massive issue since you can just focus on all the other links for now. Honestly P4 is the only game I haven't gotten max social links in, so I'm not totally sure what the curve looks like, but I think thats kind of how I felt in P5 too. Are you bringing a Persona of the same arcana with you to every hang-out session? That's the biggest thing that will slow you down. Things will also pick way up once you dont have to touch your social skills anymore

I doubt I'm even going to try to get max ranks. Hell, I might not even bother with Tower considering how high my Understanding has to be to even start it. And Margaret wants specific Persona with specific skills? It's all a little weird.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The World Ends With U2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, while the first episode seemed a little rushed to me the TWEWY anime seems pretty decent so far and has the same basic artstyle and music from the game.

On that note, is the mobile version of the game any good? I’m not going to the trouble of tracking down a DS copy and the Switch version is a bit too awkward for me to control in handheld mode without a stylus.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have it on iPad and it’s unplayable

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I have it on iPad and it’s unplayable

Well that sucks, what’s wrong with it?

Alternatively, will a DS or 3DS stylus work on a Switch?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2021

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The PC version of DMC4 is so broken I apparently need a hex editor to modify the .exe just so that game will start …

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Larryb posted:

Alternatively, will a DS or 3DS stylus work on a Switch?

Nah, Nintendo put in a modern touchscreen that only works with fingers or those mushy styluses. It was a mistake imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there are non mushy cap styluses

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think someone here once said they played the Switch version single player but with the co-op controls where one joycon controls Neku and the other is the partner

i can't really imagine playing TWEWY without the dual screen battle system but that sounds like the next best thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I think someone here once said they played the Switch version single player but with the co-op controls where one joycon controls Neku and the other is the partner

i can't really imagine playing TWEWY without the dual screen battle system but that sounds like the next best thing

Apparently in the Switch version they got around that by just making your partner completely invincible, not sure if they’re still playable though or if you just control Neku while your partner is an AI.

But the Switch is too big for me to comfortably play the game with just my fingers. I wish they would have added button controls in as an option.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 16, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah I had to bounce off TWEWY on Switch, I hate the controls. Maybe I’ll just watch the anime and play the sequel

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

homeless snail posted:

what's your strats, I can barely read but I have Opinions about language learning

I will admit I spent quite a long time already using duolingo which really just helped me learn hiragana/katakana. Probably didn't need to spend as much time using it as I did but it was helpful.

I'm going to be getting the first Genki book in a couple of weeks and also I just started using Wanikani to begin my journey in learning Kanji. I've also been attempting to read some Japanese kids books which my wife has been helping me read lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

Yeah I had to bounce off TWEWY on Switch, I hate the controls. Maybe I’ll just watch the anime and play the sequel

The anime's been all right so far.

The sequel won't have the touch screen/motion control thing at all so the issue you had probably won't be a problem there. The original is a ton of fun on DS but the mobile/Switch versions just seem wrong to me.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

The anime's been all right so far.

The sequel won't have the touch screen/motion control thing at all so the issue you had probably won't be a problem there. The original is a ton of fun on DS but the mobile/Switch versions just seem wrong to me.

Yeah like it's so specifically built for the DS that it's still insane to me they even tried. It'd be like trying to port Mario 64 to a system without sticks, the initial concept was based on having those!!

The sequel being built for the Switch from the start will hopefully make it play better, if they don't try to replicate the first game's Switch port at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

30 runs is about the average and i think what’s expected tbh. Even reaching the surface on run three is legit impressive for a first playthrough so you’re doing really good! :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah like it's so specifically built for the DS that it's still insane to me they even tried. It'd be like trying to port Mario 64 to a system without sticks, the initial concept was based on having those!!

The sequel being built for the Switch from the start will hopefully make it play better, if they don't try to replicate the first game's Switch port at least.

The DS port of 64 was so awful. Why they ported that and didn't just make a 3D game built for the DS is beyond me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the controls were bad but I was willing to put up with it for the weird romhack content that's bolted on top of mario 64. nuts that it never left the ds though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, from what we can see in the gameplay trailers it looks like the sequel doesn't use touch/motion controls at all and is just a more straightforward action-RPG. It's also more party-based. It looks like instead of your main character getting a deck of pins, each party member gets one pin that has powers/combos and you can switch who you're controlling.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I believe the sequel will also be getting a PS4 release so you probably don't have to worry much on that front.

But yeah, as for the original I'd say either just watch a Let's Play and/or the current anime and then move straight on to the sequel (unless you can track down a DS cart through some means)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 17, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have a tablet and considered playing through TWEWY on emulator since I'd be able to somewhat engage with the touch screen

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Still peeved at the first game's special edition content that did stuff like showing more of Shiki, I feel like the ending shot in the original was fine and I wish the final mix extra stuff in general didn't exist since everything already felt like it wrapped up fine, no need to drag anyone back for even more. Hopefully the new twewy will be good and not go down the path of nomura's other stuff where he feels like he needs to keep going back and redefining and reexplaining and retconning stuff.

e: edited for clarity

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I have 10 days off work and just finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Gotta figure out what to play next.

Any recent switch or PS4 gems the thread loves?