Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shine posted:

RE4 was completely trivialized by the Wii pointer, since every weapon suddenly had easy long-range aiming (assuming the player could steady their hand), so I'm curious if they are making any adjustments to make it more difficult in VR. But I won't be terribly disappointed if I simply get to trounce my way through it yet again with perfect head- and kneeshots to everything.

Salazar statue chase in VR :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My two biggest questions about a VR port are about quicktime events and how I'm supposed to roundhouse kick 5 ganados at once. I hope the solution to the first question isn't removing quicktime events entirely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You physically have to perform a suplex now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does anyone here have a valve index and a quest2? Can you have them both hooked up to our PC at the same time? Not using them both simultaneously, but switch between them with out disconnecting the one not in use?

I have a Vive and a Quest 2, and if I want to use the Q2 I have to at least disconnect the power for the Vive or else SteamVR will only acknowledge it by default. I would imagine it works pretty much the same way with an Index.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Leal posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1382821262825689090

It would be an oculus exclusive, wouldn't it :mad:
holleey poo poo. I can hopefully play this with my Index somehow??

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You physically have to perform a suplex now.

New thread title

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
LEEE-ONN

LEEE-ONN

LEEE-ONN

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Leal posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1382821262825689090

It would be an oculus exclusive, wouldn't it :mad:

I can't wait to physically grab and move things around in Leon's attaché case like I'm an exasperated dad trying to pack for a family holiday

"Who the gently caress decided we needed a dozen eggs???"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Node posted:

I have a birthday coming up and I think I'm going to treat myself and dip my toes into VR. I've done some reading, and it sounds like if you want to play PC games, the right choice is the Oculus Quest 2, despite signing your soul away to Facebook. Is that the best headset for playing on the computer? The Rift sounded great, but they're discontinuing support for it, so I don't think it would be future proofed.

It isn't "the best for pc", just 'the best overall including price' as it's both native wireless device AND pc-headset, AND it cost $350 (including the headstrap here) instead of $700-1000.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

holleey poo poo. I can hopefully play this with my Index somehow??

I have bad news for you...

If you think about it, they picked RE4 for all the series surely because it has graphics can be translated to the Quest.

Oh, btw, I received three emailsl of Quest apps trying the subscription model. FitXr, Tripps and RecRoom. Good luck!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 16, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MFW people ignore the true AAA quest exclusive announced, focusing instead on RE4VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4smAXk9HQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

MFW people ignore the true AAA quest exclusive announced, focusing instead on RE4VR

Noooo, why'd the VR version of my one true addiction have to be an Oculus exclusive?... :negative:

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Turin Turambar posted:

Holy poo poo - just make the House of the Dead remake VR too and I'll be happy as a pig in poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noooo, why'd the VR version of my one true addiction have to be an Oculus exclusive?... :negative:

Not true, it is also available on Virtual Boy

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Genuinely astonished that RE4 VR is seemingly just "it's resident evil 4 but in VR" and not a half dozen hacked up on-rails ten minute score attack shooting galleries like the shitass old mobile conversions. And since I'm still salty over the latest round of console ports having no gyro aiming support this is definitely gonna be a day one buy for me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An interesting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w57jiPSdKXs

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dear god the PC vs PSVR vs Quest sales numbers lmfao

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shine posted:

RE4 was completely trivialized by the Wii pointer, since every weapon suddenly had easy long-range aiming (assuming the player could steady their hand), so I'm curious if they are making any adjustments to make it more difficult in VR. But I won't be terribly disappointed if I simply get to trounce my way through it yet again with perfect head- and kneeshots to everything.

I don't know why they would do that since they also ported it to PC with mouse controls which also trivialized it. It's probably based on the HD re-release anyways.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lemming posted:

Did they ever show the numbers? It was pretty obvious from the bar graph, but I'm curious what the actual numbers were.

also this:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

At first sight I thought 'oh, Quest launch was around 3x times more than the pc launch'. Then I thought a bit about my reasoning, and noticed I was really comparing the January against October, but if we add and compare the first 4 months of the pc launch vs the first 4 months of the Quest launch, it's more like... 5x?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is the Quest 2 Elite strap easy to adjust if you're sharing a headset between multiple people?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

prom candy posted:

Is the Quest 2 Elite strap easy to adjust if you're sharing a headset between multiple people?

Yeah it's got a knob to tighten it up so you can put it on and ratchet it to your head so it's probably the easiest way to share with people imo

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

prom candy posted:

Yup. Takes only a few seconds.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

If anyone here has been waiting for a great deal on a Quest 2 strap upgrade here's a killer one:

less than $16 shipped (from Amazon)

I know a couple people with this same strap and it's really nice. I just ordered one.

Heads up though, on the Amazon page you need to click on the options for buying new and pick the one fulfilled by seltureone for the coupon to work.

I ordered one an hour ago and it's coming Monday, but I think they're getting slammed because it looks like new orders are gonna take a couple weeks.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lemming posted:

Where was this? I skimmed through it and only noticed the month by month bar chart.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Where was this? I skimmed through it and only noticed the month by month bar chart.

They had staggered releases, so the first area was PCVR, then a higher peak with the PSVR release, and then the last one was the Quest release

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't think there's any other chart, the sales are mixed together showing total sales across all platforms but it starts at the PCVR release, the next spike is when it hit PSVR, and the huge spike is when it hit Quest.

So it's not really exacting, and might be confounded somewhat by times when the PCVR version went on sale, but it's pretty clear that after it went on Quest the sales sky rocketed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Turin Turambar posted:

At first sight I thought 'oh, Quest launch was around 3x times more than the pc launch'. Then I thought a bit about my reasoning, and noticed I was really comparing the January against October, but if we add and compare the first 4 months of the pc launch vs the first 4 months of the Quest launch, it's more like... 5x?

It's hard to tell exactly because you can't separate PC and PSVR from the charts after their launch (it all gets mixed together), but just counting bars after a platform launch you get:

PC = 5 bars
PSVR = 9 bars
Q2 = 29 bars

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh. I just saw sales spiking during the holidays and didn't really equate that to the quest 2 specifically.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

I didn't play it on Wii, but the original version was already pretty drat easy to aim because they put that bright red laser sight on the gun.

Looks like this version dropped the laser sight and has actual iron sights on the guns to aim, which should help balance it somewhat. I feel like aiming with sights is a lot more difficult than moving a visible reticle around with a wiimote.

If the VR version had laser sights it would probably be ridiculously easy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ADS is really fun in VR anyway so this is a good thing

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
They do have laser sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGC250WiiOw&t=68s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe it’s a qol thing you can turn on and off?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe it’s a qol thing you can turn on and off?

It's been a ridiculously long time since I played it, but I think RE4 had gun upgrades/mods didn't it?

Might be an upgrade thing, I kinda hope it's not just there on every gun by default.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really dislike that RE4 is a quest exclusive. Now I'm starting to feel the pain of being abandoned with the rift S. gently caress you Facebook.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

If anyone here has been waiting for a great deal on a Quest 2 strap upgrade here's a killer one:

less than $16 shipped (from Amazon)

I know a couple people with this same strap and it's really nice. I just ordered one.

Heads up though, on the Amazon page you need to click on the options for buying new and pick the one fulfilled by seltureone for the coupon to work.

I ordered one an hour ago and it's coming Monday, but I think they're getting slammed because it looks like new orders are gonna take a couple weeks.

Back ordered til may, still taking orders.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Man, I really don't want Facebook to be the future of VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

azurite posted:

Then someone needs to get off their rear end and make an actual Quest competitor. Standalone is so clearly where VR is going, it's painful to see other people not keeping up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

azurite posted:

Yeah I agree. I’d just move on to something else personally, regardless of how many counter opinions about how it’s not a big deal. It’s just my red line, and that’s fine. Some companies I want as little to do with as possible.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Then someone needs to get off their rear end and make an actual Quest competitor. Standalone is so clearly where VR is going, it's painful to see other people not keeping up

It's easy to say this, but I think FB is many years away of recouping the literal billions of dollars they have spent on vR, first on the Oculus acquisition, then in half a dozen other companies (from Carbon design to Nimble vr and 13th lab and more), then in several years of R&D. Even after all that money, Quest 2 success is relative, it isn't like they have sold 20 million units.
My point is, other companies will think "uhh spending 4 billion dollars to start having some profits in, with luck, 11 or 12 years? Seems a bad plan".

I think it's pretty funny and ironic how much hate gets Zuck. from VR enthusiasts, when it seems Zuck is one of the few VR believers in the correct position of power and money to get things done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, that sure seems like something Facebook's gonna be a tad unhappy about :eyepop:.

Facebook is better off not drawing attention to the headset, probably. It’s not like it’s going to materially gently caress with Quest 2 sales, especially if they don’t go to court talking about how this thing is very similar to their hugely popular product. Maybe if we see it doing big numbers somehow? I doubt it, but I’ve been wrong about bigger stuff than that.

VR headsets are like crabs or something, there are going to be a lot of designs that end up in the same local maximum of physical characteristics. I don’t know that FB is even that worried about people copying Touch, and that IMO is a more diverse design space.