Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

alcaras posted:

I have 6x 5/5 MaA regiments. Maybe I should cut those back? They came over from Tribal, when they just cost prestige.

And raised (with 5x 5/5 MaA):

Should I be tuning to be breaking even when they're raised?

Probably not when you have them raised, not right off the bat anyway.

Your problem is that you're not making any money from your domain, presumably because they have no buildings. Did you do the upgrades in your holdings while tribal? Start constructing fields my man.

e: well I guess you can't because you are 66 years in the hole. Not much to do at that point; use Sell Minor Titles, Extort Subjects, and Ask Head of Faith for Money as much as you can, max your dread and assign your Marshal to Train Commanders for the MaA discount, and pray for death.

e2: what MaA regiments are they?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I def had to cut back MaAs when reforming from tribal because there's almost no way you'll have the infrastructure to support your regiments with gold in the same way you can as tribal with limitless prestige. If you relocate to a developed capital duchy while reforming it might be easier.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lol wtf -3000

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’ve seen AI Byzantine dip that low

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there like, any way to dodge that bankrupt by destroying your title and commuting suicide and reconquering everything as your not-broke heir?

edit:vv Oh thank god. Yea, go kill yourself mate, it's for everyone's benefit.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You dont even need to destroy your title, I dont think debt carries over between characters.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Probably not when you have them raised, not right off the bat anyway.

Your problem is that you're not making any money from your domain, presumably because they have no buildings. Did you do the upgrades in your holdings while tribal? Start constructing fields my man.

e: well I guess you can't because you are 66 years in the hole. Not much to do at that point; use Sell Minor Titles, Extort Subjects, and Ask Head of Faith for Money as much as you can, max your dread and assign your Marshal to Train Commanders for the MaA discount, and pray for death.

e2: what MaA regiments are they?

I didn't do too many upgrades as tribal because I thought tribal->feudal destroyed buildings? Or maybe it only destroys the tribal specific building? Not sure how to interpret "All buildings are lost if the Tribe is converted into a Castle holding." from the wiki: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Building Maybe that only applies to "Tribe buildings"? Good to know for future Tribal->Feudal changes

MaA was 3x Konni / 3x Armored Foot.

I'm now an heir or two later and have stabilized -- but yeah I need to build up my buildings from my domain. That's this heir's project

What's the Train Commanders / MaA discount?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 15, 2021

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

alcaras posted:

What's the Train Commanders / MaA discount?

If you have your Marshal train commanders (second option) you pay less per month for MaA while he's doing it, I think it's 20% off?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

eleven extra elephants posted:

If you have your Marshal train commanders (second option) you pay less per month for MaA while he's doing it, I think it's 20% off?

Ah, the Wiki thinks it's 5% + 1% per skill https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Council Thanks though, didn't realize it did that. I usually have it on train commanders unless something in my domain needs control.

In general, what should my Councilors be doing?

I've generally:
Spouse - Assist Ruler unless I need something specific
Chaplain - Convert if something in my domain is not my religion, else Religious Relations. Generally don't need to Fabricate Claims
Chancellor - Domestic Affairs early in reign, Foreign Affairs later. I don't really understand what Integrate Title does
Steward - Culture if something in my domain is not my culture, else Increase Development until my domain is at development max for tech, then I guess Collect taxes?
Marshal - Increase Control if something in my domain lacks Control, else Train Commanders. Generally never on Organize Levies.
Spymaster - Just on Disrupt Schemes. I don't generally go Intrigue on my rulers so don't find the other two very useful. In theory Find Secrets with Truth is Relative + Golden Obligations could be good, but I just never take Intrigue lifestyles.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 15, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Depending on how Catholic you are, Fab claims is often the only way to expand while you wait for succession/assassination plots to fire off.
Integrate title is for de Jure drift - basically, over the course of centuries neighboring territories that you rule will slowly swap who their de Jure liege is. When you select the Chancellor task for it it'll highlight which ones are currently drifting towards you, and you can try to speed it up. Seems niche.
Organize levies is good for pushing down factions - if they're barely able to be a threat and tick up discontent, getting an extra 20% levies can pop them back under the limit. Also for when recovering after suffering huge losses during a war.
Find Secrets is solid to get strong hooks on your vassals etc; imo it's always worth finding all your court's secrets before moving on to other things. If you where ever try out intrigue, it's also very good for setting up groundwork before you dive in; eg when you have a child ruler no longer at risk of assassination, getting 10 years of intel before the scheming starts makes things much easier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Ah, the Wiki thinks it's 5% + 1% per skill https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Council Thanks though, didn't realize it did that. I usually have it on train commanders unless something in my domain needs control.

In general, what should my Councilors be doing?

I've generally:
Spouse - Assist Ruler unless I need something specific
Chaplain - Convert if something in my domain is not my religion, else Religious Relations. Generally don't need to Fabricate Claims
Chancellor - Domestic Affairs early in reign, Foreign Affairs later. I don't really understand what Integrate Title does
Steward - Culture if something in my domain is not my culture, else Increase Development until my domain is at development max for tech, then I guess Collect taxes?
Marshal - Increase Control if something in my domain lacks Control, else Train Commanders. Generally never on Organize Levies.
Spymaster - Just on Disrupt Schemes. I don't generally go Intrigue on my rulers so don't find the other two very useful. In theory Find Secrets with Truth is Relative + Golden Obligations could be good, but I just never take Intrigue lifestyles.

That's pretty much the right split. Find Secrets + Golden Obligations (no Intrigue Perk required, you have to pay for the hooks anyway so it's pointless) is really good in the early game, helps you avoid the "sit around and wait for money" tax. And assigning your Spouse to Patronage may make the Tutelage event that aids your kids' education, so that's good to have when your kids are growing up.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
What determines what my government is, the location of my capital? I started a run for the north sea empire achievement with Halfdan Hvitserk, who is based in feudal Jorvik. I'm assuming I'm feudal because all my MaA use gold instead of prestige.

The game says that achievement is still possible, but you have to be an unreformed tribal to get it. Would I have to, like, switch my capital to Denmark and become tribal?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

What determines what my government is, the location of my capital? I started a run for the north sea empire achievement with Halfdan Hvitserk, who is based in feudal Jorvik. I'm assuming I'm feudal because all my MaA use gold instead of prestige.

The game says that achievement is still possible, but you have to be an unreformed tribal to get it. Would I have to, like, switch my capital to Denmark and become tribal?

I believe it's your highest-tier title, which is controlled by the holding but can be altered. For example, I'm pretty sure if you, say, gave one of your heirs a duchy with a tribe holding as its capital, they would be a tribal duke. When your character dies, if your heir then inherits your feudal duchy, they would remain a tribal ruler. But if they inherited a feudal kingdom, they would become feudal. It's something worth testing at any rate, the wiki claims you can change between clan and feudal in this manner, but I'm not 100% sure about tribal.

I am pretty certain that simply changing your current ruler's capital holding wouldn't be enough though, it would have to happen through inheritance.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so whats the biggest family you've seen so far because i currently have 1024 living rurikids spread across 55 different cadet branches

i'm terrified of opening the family tree thing, my game lags for several seconds when you open the secrets screen because basically everyone is a witch

e: and trying to open the tree back to rurik caused a solid 2.5 minute game freeze lmao

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 16, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just checked my last Rurikid game from 1066 through to 1360 something, and there were 1176 living members. I straight up could not open the tree back even to the character I started with.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Did the Warhammer fantasy mod get converted to CK3?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I just checked my last Rurikid game from 1066 through to 1360 something, and there were 1176 living members. I straight up could not open the tree back even to the character I started with.

see the problem is that its the 1020s in my game so its only going to get worse

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Magil Zeal posted:

I believe it's your highest-tier title, which is controlled by the holding but can be altered. For example, I'm pretty sure if you, say, gave one of your heirs a duchy with a tribe holding as its capital, they would be a tribal duke. When your character dies, if your heir then inherits your feudal duchy, they would remain a tribal ruler. But if they inherited a feudal kingdom, they would become feudal. It's something worth testing at any rate, the wiki claims you can change between clan and feudal in this manner, but I'm not 100% sure about tribal.

I am pretty certain that simply changing your current ruler's capital holding wouldn't be enough though, it would have to happen through inheritance.
As it turns out, with that playthrough I hosed up with Scandinavian elective and lost like everything. I restarted, this time as the Danish Ragnarsson with the intent to keep succession as partition and carefully manage my kingdom-sized titles. And then I restarted again when I realized I forgot to turn on Ironman :v:

But yes, Jorvik is the only one of the four Ragnarsson jarldoms that starts as feudal.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

see the problem is that its the 1020s in my game so its only going to get worse
JUST STOP loving

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 16, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeahhhh. And this is after they fixed the dynasty tree too, I remember on launch it was far far worse. I wonder if it still gives you duplicate sections of the tree if you get sufficient levels of cousin marriage going on...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

I wonder if it still gives you duplicate sections of the tree if you get sufficient levels of cousin marriage going on...

*looks around awkwardly* Uhhh, I've heard that it might still do that, yea?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

JUST STOP loving

I keep spamming Ask To Take Vows but they are too horny!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

Yeahhhh. And this is after they fixed the dynasty tree too, I remember on launch it was far far worse. I wonder if it still gives you duplicate sections of the tree if you get sufficient levels of cousin marriage going on...
It sure does! Iceland is a hosed-up, incestuous place.

In my game and also in real life.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

As it turns out, with that playthrough I hosed up with Scandinavian elective and lost like everything. I restarted, this time as the Danish Ragnarsson with the intent to keep succession as partition and carefully manage my kingdom-sized titles. And then I restarted again when I realized I forgot to turn on Ironman :v:

The secret to Scandinavian Elective is to have two or more of whatever your top title is. So if you're a duke, have 2 duchies with elective. If you're a king, two kingdoms. This will make everything dejure for your top titles go along with the title, so you get the benefits of a single heir inheritance super early. Anything outside of your dejure titles will still follow the normal partition mechanics.

This does mean that if you have two duchies and only inherit one of them, you need to get a second duchy asap and spend the 1500 prestige to add elective if you don't want to go back to partition.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are single duchy kingdoms immune to de jure shift?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Minor question: My ruler's father was deposed in a war. However, until he died, he remained the head of the dynasty, despite having no troops. Is this supposed to happen?

As he was AI controlled he picked Blood4 ... is there a way for me to find out which trait he decided to boost?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Veryslightlymad posted:

I inherited as a homosexual character, and my rear end in a top hat brother blackmailed me for a strong hook, because Asatru considers it a crime.

In response I Varangian invaded Qadiz and took over and converted to Muwallidism, which has same sex relations: accepted. But he still has the hook on me even though the secret is no longer a big deal? Why can't I just come out now and get out of being hooked?

I conquered part of spain for this?!

Getting my "Lover" secret exposed did not get me out of the blackmail situation. Like, how does that not reveal my sodomite secret? How did I remain in debt to my idiot half-brother until the day I died?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Are single duchy kingdoms immune to de jure shift?

I don't believe so, which makes them good targets for drifting their only duchy into a neighboring kingdom so you have a free titular kingdom to hold onto or distribute (if that's the kind of thing you feel like bothering with).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Minor question: My ruler's father was deposed in a war. However, until he died, he remained the head of the dynasty, despite having no troops. Is this supposed to happen?

As he was AI controlled he picked Blood4 ... is there a way for me to find out which trait he decided to boost?

I believe a house head is only replaced upon death. A dynasty head can be replaced if another house head becomes more powerful, but within the house, only death causes succession. So it sounds to me like you were a single-house dynasty, were you tribal?

Unfortunately, I don't know about the latter.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Quorum posted:

I don't believe so, which makes them good targets for drifting their only duchy into a neighboring kingdom so you have a free titular kingdom to hold onto or distribute (if that's the kind of thing you feel like bothering with).

I’m trying to get Sardinia the duchy to drift into Sicily the kingdom. It isn’t working.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

binge crotching posted:

The secret to Scandinavian Elective is to have two or more of whatever your top title is. So if you're a duke, have 2 duchies with elective. If you're a king, two kingdoms. This will make everything dejure for your top titles go along with the title, so you get the benefits of a single heir inheritance super early. Anything outside of your dejure titles will still follow the normal partition mechanics.

This does mean that if you have two duchies and only inherit one of them, you need to get a second duchy asap and spend the 1500 prestige to add elective if you don't want to go back to partition.
Wait, what's the mechanism behind duplicate duchies/kingdoms making everything dejure associated with the title follow it? I'm confused as to why that would work.

As I understand it, elective works by you nominating your least failure of a child to be your heir, and then using dread and hooks and opinion to have your vassals vote for them.

I know I usually need to make my duchies elective as well, but do I need to make my home counties elective as well, or is it only needed for duchy titles and above? I just want to avoid Concubine Offspring #38 inheriting Fyn where I just built a mead hall :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I’m trying to get Sardinia the duchy to drift into Sicily the kingdom. It isn’t working.

Do you own the kingdom of Sardinia? If you own the dejure title you can't normally drift it into something else. Are you able to run the councilor task to speed up integration?

e:

Albino Squirrel posted:

Wait, what's the mechanism behind duplicate duchies/kingdoms making everything dejure associated with the title follow it? I'm confused as to why that would work.

As I understand it, elective works by you nominating your least failure of a child to be your heir, and then using dread and hooks and opinion to have your vassals vote for them.

I know I usually need to make my duchies elective as well, but do I need to make my home counties elective as well, or is it only needed for duchy titles and above? I just want to avoid Concubine Offspring #38 inheriting Fyn where I just built a mead hall :(

The thing with multiple elective titles is that it makes all titles under them inherit along with the primary title, instead of doing partition or confederate partition.

As an example since you mentioned Fyn:

In a new game as Sigurdr, you start with the duchy of Sjaelland, and own 3 provinces under it. Your vassals own enough land that you can create the duchy of Skane. Your default succession type is confederate partition, which means that if you get a second son he would get the duchy of Skane, creating it if it doesn't exist, along with one of your counties. A third son would get your third county, but since you don't own any more duchies would be a vassal of your primary heir.

If you open the duchy of Sjaelland title, and click the add law button, you can spend 1500 prestige to add Scandinavian Elective as a succession law. It applies only to that one title, your default succession type is still confederate partition. If you get a second son, he will still get the duchy of Skane, creating it if it doesn't exist, along with one of your counties. A third son would get your third county, but since you don't own any more duchies would be a vassal of your primary heir.

If you create the duchy of Skane, everything above would be the same.

However, this is where the magic happens. If you then take the duchy of Skane, go into the title and add Scandinavian Elective to it, your primary heir will now get all 3 of your counties. If you revoked every single one of your vassals counties, the heir for each duchy (or the one heir if you get the same son elected to both), would inherit all 7 counties.

Let's say you then go and conquer the duchy of Slesvig and add the law, it will also go to your heir, along with all counties you own under the title.

At this point you want to wait and NOT create the kingdom of Denmark. If you went ahead and created the kingdom right now, you would only have 1 top level title, so everything under it would go back to confederate partition. If you had 7 sons by now, your primary heir would get the kingdom title, and the county of Sjaelland. Your other 6 sons would each grab one of your 7 counties, leaving your heir in a bad spot.

If you stuck with the 3 duchies that have elective, but then decided you wanted to start working on reforming the faith and conquered Upland, that county is outside of your dejure titles, so it would fall under the normal confederate partition mechanics, and go to your second son. Because it's only a county and you are a duke, he would stay as your vassal though.

If we go back to your creating the Kingdom of Denmark, if you then conquered enough of Sweden to create the kingdom of Sweden, you would then have 2 primary titles with elective, and everything within those two kingdoms would go to your primary heir.

It's extremely powerful, but you need to remember that multiple primary titles is the way to go. I try and get 3, so that if I lose one of them in election I'm not immediately back to partition.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 18, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

binge crotching posted:

Do you own the kingdom of Sardinia? If you own the dejure title you can't normally drift it into something else. Are you able to run the councilor task to speed up integration?

I can run it in other places but not Sardinia! It’s very annoying. And no i have not created the kingdom

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ah. Apparently you need a land border to de jure drift in CK3, according to the wiki, so that's probably the issue.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Quorum posted:

Ah. Apparently you need a land border to de jure drift in CK3, according to the wiki, so that's probably the issue.

I don't think that's the case, because on the most recent patch, I had duchies in southern England de jure drifting into my custom Kingdom of Flanders on the other side of the channel.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Ive also drifted Provence into Sardinia.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

binge crotching posted:

The thing with multiple elective titles is that it makes all titles under them inherit along with the primary title, instead of doing partition or confederate partition.
[snip]

holy poo poo thank you for this, I've been wondering why all my titles mysteriously stopped getting partitioned in my current Halfdan Whiteshirt game - it must have been when I somehow ended up King of Wales as well as England. I just assumed it was a bug and rolled with it. I assume this means if I create the Empire of Britannia I'll go back to dividing again?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does anyone know how the game decides where your holy sites are determined if you start your own heresy or religion?

Does it make one of them your capital? I mean, it would theoretically be the birthplace of the new religion... But what about the others, if that's even true?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Does anyone know how the game decides where your holy sites are determined if you start your own heresy or religion?

Does it make one of them your capital? I mean, it would theoretically be the birthplace of the new religion... But what about the others, if that's even true?
As far as I can tell from the wiki, a heresy keeps the holy sites of the religion that spawned it, the same way a reformed pagan religion doesn't gain or lose holy sites. It seems like custom religions from mods can have any county as a holy site, but then any heresies of a mod-added religion would still use those.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gato posted:

holy poo poo thank you for this, I've been wondering why all my titles mysteriously stopped getting partitioned in my current Halfdan Whiteshirt game - it must have been when I somehow ended up King of Wales as well as England.

Getting the hang of and effectively using elective laws is the click-baitiest thing in the entire game, imo. It truly is “this one weird trick to create primogeniture early — the late medieval era hates it” that can get rid of a lot of the succession headaches in the early game, especially if you're otherwise technically stuck in confederate partition for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gato posted:

holy poo poo thank you for this, I've been wondering why all my titles mysteriously stopped getting partitioned in my current Halfdan Whiteshirt game - it must have been when I somehow ended up King of Wales as well as England. I just assumed it was a bug and rolled with it. I assume this means if I create the Empire of Britannia I'll go back to dividing again?

Yep, because you'll only have 1 primary title. It's not really worth creating an empire title if you're using this trick to get rid of partition, unless you're specifically creating the empire of Scandinavia so that Norse doesn't splinter.