Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Eifert Posting posted:

Just get the number one pick when you need a quarterback. It's not hard. It's actually literally the opposite of hard.

sometimes it's hard because your team is too scrappy and good at winning to be bad enough to lose as much as a bunch of sadsacks in tiger pajamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

Just get the number one pick when you need a quarterback. It's not hard. It's actually literally the opposite of hard.

The Chargers did it twice and traded it both times lol

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Phobeste posted:

Uh wasn't the take actually "don't take a qb below 10 until the picks are meaningless", like picks 10-24 or something? Like if you're too low for one of the top guys, spend the pick better than reaching for a qb you talked yourself into

Nope. I think they used pick 75 as the cutoff where it becomes acceptable to take a QB outside the top 10. The subject of BPA vs positional value didn't even come up as I recall.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

sometimes it's hard because your team is too scrappy and good at winning to be bad enough to lose as much as a bunch of sadsacks in tiger pajamas

drat... Must be rough.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Romo wasn't even drafted

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nope. I think they used pick 75 as the cutoff where it becomes acceptable to take a QB outside the top 10. The subject of BPA vs positional value didn't even come up as I recall.

So they used an arbitrary cutoff without discussing the two core tenets to drafting to make a blanket statement that has no logical or empirical bearing to form that bad take? Huh, kinda sounds like your post about them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's been a few reports by now from people who have ins with the Bengals front office that the pic is emphatically Chase.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I know

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

There's been a few reports by now from people who have ins with the Bengals front office that the pic is emphatically Chase.

:unsmith:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Atlanta... CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Obviously the best solution to your QB issues is to sign the greatest to ever do it when he becomes a free agent. It's not rocket science. Stop wasting your first round picks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Obviously the best solution to your QB issues is to sign the greatest to ever do it when he becomes a free agent. It's not rocket science. Stop wasting your first round picks.

Agreed.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

And people thought division rivals couldn't agree on things!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MrLogan posted:

Dak sucks tho.

Too true, too true

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Was listening to the athletic football podcast when this wonder of a take was sprung on me. Nate Tice and Robert Mays agree, never take a QB outside of the top 10 picks. They site the failure rate as too outlandish to even consider it. This is some really backwards thinking. Every NFL starting caliber QB is a outlier and if you have to wait till you get a top 10 pick, or trade a king's ransom in capital to acquire one, you're not giving yourself enough bites at the apple to have a good shot at a starting QB.

Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott, Carr, Cousins, and Brees were all picked outside of the top ten. That's 8 of your top 20 QBs last year. Looking back at recent past success you can throw Dalton, Flacco, and Kaepernick onto that list. That's not even getting into where you value a guy. If the a top 3 player on your board who happens to be a QB lands at your number 15 pick are you supposed to skip him because all those other teams passed.

Tice's fail son influence is ruining Mays.

Yeah but I'm sure Nate had a fun comp to a forgotten Vikings player and a neat story he told about his dad.

I love Mays but I am starting to only listen to episodes with special guests.

Also, they've started going down a path of "you should only draft QBs with high physical upside and ignore stuff like accuracy, because Josh Allen." But in the same episode, they'll talk about how teams always trick themselves into repeating mistakes made countless times before and how it'll be different this time.

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 17, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SI profile on Trevor Lawrence.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1383452036478365703?s=20

He seems like a well adjusted person who realizes there is more to life than football.

But I can’t help but imagine the coverage if somebody like Fields said:

quote:

”It’s not like I need this for my life to be O.K.”

“It’s hard to explain that because I want people to know that I’m passionate about what I do and it’s really important to me, but . . . I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder, that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong,” he says. “I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to.”

And I think people mistake that for being a competitor. . . . I think that’s unhealthy to a certain extent, just always thinking that you’ve got to prove somebody wrong, you’ve got to do more, you’ve got to be better.

Or imagine if this was said of Justin Fields by his father and highschool coach:

quote:

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.”

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Also, Atlanta is sniffing around QB pro days.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1383464957463842825?s=20

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Oh yeah, any black prospect would get ripped for that. Hell, Myles got ripped for writing poetry on the side.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Ehud posted:

SI profile on Trevor Lawrence.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1383452036478365703?s=20

He seems like a well adjusted person who realizes there is more to life than football.

But I can’t help but imagine the coverage if somebody like Fields said:

Or imagine if this was said of Justin Fields by his father and highschool coach:

I genuinely want to know what Fields actually thinks of Lawrence now, like deep down he has to hate his guts right

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Looks like he's getting ripped for it by the peanut gallery instead of the professionals

https://twitter.com/Trevorlawrencee/status/1383467137197436934
https://twitter.com/Trevorlawrencee/status/1383467138820628493

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chucktesla posted:

I genuinely want to know what Fields actually thinks of Lawrence now, like deep down he has to hate his guts right

Kicking Clemson’s rear end in the semifinal probably helped with that a bit.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a great way to set yourself up for a million hot takes if you're not instantly a top five quarterback that you don't work hard enough.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Look the only reason the team that immediately jettisoned every ounce of talent after being on the verge of going to the super bowl, who has several franchise passing records owned by david garrard and Blake bortles, whose unofficial mascot is a lady who swam in a pool at the stadium while wearing jeans, doesn't become a dynasty is because Trevor Lawrence likes things other than football

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’ll never stop laughing if the Jags see this and draft Wilson.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chucktesla posted:

Look the only reason the team that immediately jettisoned every ounce of talent after being on the verge of going to the super bowl, who has several franchise passing records owned by david garrard and Blake bortles, whose unofficial mascot is a lady who swam in a pool at the stadium while wearing jeans, doesn't become a dynasty is because Trevor Lawrence likes things other than football

It's amazing to me that all the people hand wringing about the Bengals drafting Joe Burrow last year aren't talking about how the Jaguars are going to ruin Lawrence. This might be the least talked about number one overall pic I can ever remember, Even with Luck there were people arguing that RG3 would be better.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eifert Posting posted:

It's amazing to me that all the people hand wringing about the Bengals drafting Joe Burrow last year aren't talking about how the Jaguars are going to ruin Lawrence. This might be the least talked about number one overall pic I can ever remember, Even with Luck there were people arguing that RG3 would be better.

His freshman year was incredible, he's been the future #1 pick ever since then

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah it's Lawrence being the anointed number one for so long and I think a part of it is generally the media is taking a wait and see approach with Urban Meyer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Were Luck and Peyton so hyped from their first year starting in school? Obviously after their senior years they were consensus generational NFL prospects but I definitely wasn’t paying enough attention to college ball in 2011 (and was only 7 or whatever when Peyton was drafted) to know if their hype was as extensive as Trevor’s.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not old enough to remember when Peyton was in college but Luck was absolutely annointed from day one.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Were Luck and Peyton so hyped from their first year starting in school? Obviously after their senior years they were consensus generational NFL prospects but I definitely wasn’t paying enough attention to college ball in 2011 (and was only 7 or whatever when Peyton was drafted) to know if their hype was as extensive as Trevor’s.

Peyton I believe was, him choosing Tennessee over ole miss was a big deal back then. For Luck, he was a four star recruit so he was certainly not hyped as a future pro quarterback since he was a junior in high school like Lawrence was.

I do remember reading the annual fbs season primer Athlon puts out before Lucks redshirt freshman season, which had a quote from jim harbaugh where he very confidently declared he would become the first pick in the draft before anyone had a chance to see him play a game so lol

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 17, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Eifert Posting posted:

Narrator: they are going to ruin Lawrence

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eifert Posting posted:

That's a great way to set yourself up for a million hot takes if you're not instantly a top five quarterback that you don't work hard enough.

I'm sure Trevor Lawrence cares about hot takes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm sure Trevor Lawrence cares about hot takes

I mean judging by his tweets he does in fact care

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I miss the days where prospects would flat out refuse to play for a team, because with all offense intended to the jaguars I'd rather get punched in the balls every day than play under Urban Meyer for the Jaguars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well he’s off my board.

https://twitter.com/MacJones_10/status/526446901869416448

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He’s back on. Bortles is king.

https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1383163035586531334

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mccorkle bortles

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bort mccortles

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These Walter football breakdowns are hilarious. He seems to use it as more of a pulpit to go off on random tangents than to actually talk about each individual person. He also has the fuddiest perspective on everything It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Eifert Posting posted:

These Walter football breakdowns are hilarious. He seems to use it as more of a pulpit to go off on random tangents than to actually talk about each individual person. He also has the fuddiest perspective on everything It's hilarious.

he also makes the worst possible pick for every team. like he looks at their needs but then chooses the least important position to draft