Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Warbird posted:

It’s a bit buddy, don’t worry.

Okay good. :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Democratic Pirate posted:

A Magic Tavern setting where the boys are successful and retired adventurers giving adventuring and life advice to new heroes while also trying to profitably operate a restaurant with limited profit margins thats owned by 4 family members would be good as hell.

I just remembered that everybody except Griffin has been on HftMT

edit:

I mean, literally everybody

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just got around to the last couple of TAZ episodes and didn’t get the loan shark ad copy. I’m bummed.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I can't see ever giving TAZ another shot if they went free-form Mission to Zyxx style. For me, having the PC's be constrained by the rules of the game is the most interesting part of this type of podcast, so without that what little interest I have left in TAZ would just evaporate.

I prefer D&D-based podcasts because I like and understand the rules to that system. I nearly fell off during the monster of the week campaign because I found that system so staggeringly boring, and I'd imagine I would feel that way listening to most non-D&D actual plays. I think D&D, despite it's many, many faults, strikes a good balance between an interesting system and a good medium for storytelling.

All that said, I'd love to experience a good Lancer actual play, but I imagine that ruleset would be too fiddly for a podcast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alaois posted:

have they considered just doing an improv storytelling podcast

Mission to Zyxx is really good, but those are professional improv people, I think the bros need some kind of structure to build on.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Crazyeyes posted:

Gets worse as they all have gotten insane abilities out of nowhere as well.
same thing as when I want to finish out a CRPG but the last guy is too hard so I just boost my guys stats up to max

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I can't see ever giving TAZ another shot if they went free-form Mission to Zyxx style. For me, having the PC's be constrained by the rules of the game is the most interesting part of this type of podcast, so without that what little interest I have left in TAZ would just evaporate.
I agree with your premise, but like... that's already why I lost interest in TAZ. They stopped being constrained by the rules of the game to any meaningful degree a long time ago and have been constrained pretty much purely by GM fiat for most of the show.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Entropic posted:

Mission to Zyxx is really good, but those are professional improv people, I think the bros need some kind of structure to build on.

It's also pretty heavily edited (complete with them sometimes doing multiple takes) to make sure it's a coherent product. Not something you could do with random dice rolls.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Warbird posted:

Just got around to the last couple of TAZ episodes and didn’t get the loan shark ad copy. I’m bummed.

They never actually ran an ad, as far as I know. They were just included as one of the shows with a promo code for the company, and it got picked up by twitter.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
to just reiterate a thread I made last year in the GBSest forum:

Dragonlance sucks. I don't want to read an unedited account of someone's campaign.

:smaug:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I prefer D&D-based podcasts because I like and understand the rules to that system. I nearly fell off during the monster of the week campaign because I found that system so staggeringly boring, and I'd imagine I would feel that way listening to most non-D&D actual plays. I think D&D, despite it's many, many faults, strikes a good balance between an interesting system and a good medium for storytelling.

All that said, I'd love to experience a good Lancer actual play, but I imagine that ruleset would be too fiddly for a podcast.

I liked the Just Us episode that Travis DM'ed a lot, and one of the things that made it great was him using lots of rolls as story improv queues, even for simple things like squirting ketchup on a hot dog. Amnesty misused MotW because much like Graduation, the structure of the campaign largely seemed to be around the GM putting the players in rooms and letting them go once they felt like enough boxes were ticked. Just like how Graduation was a campaign that seems like it was supposed to be around school intrigue never did anything with the school, Amnesty was a monster-hunting campaign that did relatively little monster hunting. So the gameplay system was never really being used.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 16, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Greatest love story ever told

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With the end of Graduation I sincerely hope we can put an end to the regular "well I didn't listen but from what everyone else says it sounds like poo poo and this is how I would fix it" posts. That would be swell.

Secondly, if you haven't listened to this week's Wonderful! you really should. Griffin breaks out his childhood journals and you get some real gems. Griffin liked himself a fib or three growing up.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I haven't read the posts since I last posted, but from what everyone is saying it sounds like they were all poo poo. I would post good stuff.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

They never actually ran an ad, as far as I know. They were just included as one of the shows with a promo code for the company, and it got picked up by twitter.

it was one of the half-hearted ad reads travis was doing for taz

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah I've definitely heard a couple of Upstart loan ads and raised an eyebrow. No idea if the company's a legitimate debt consolidation thing, or if they're as predatory as most short-term lenders targeting individuals in financial trouble.

Their website certainly sets off some warning bells - the stuff about how they'll give large loans to people with low incomes/bad credit based on their potential for future earnings could be actual altruism, or it could be the standard baiting the hook to put people into debts they have no realistic chance of paying off, which can then be packaged and sold on to other companies. Jury's out, though, maybe their business model is somehow different from that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Grunch Worldflower posted:

This seems like the best direction. I personally think that a lot of what made Balance work was that it was barely a D&D podcast. The rules and systems were part of an improv prompt rather than something they adhered to. While Tres Horny Boys famously forgot about most of their magic items, I can't imagine them getting anything like the Ring of the Gramarrian or any of the other "free pass to gently caress this scene up" items in nesty or Graduation.

Divine Wood was possibly Clint's high point in 70 goddamn episodes of that show. I'd never played D&D when I first heard that, and was on my second extended campaign on my second listen, and exclaimed gently caress YEAH! both times, and both felt earned to me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

The one time I let my players do whatever they wanted...they immediately captured a goblin with the intention of grooming it to be a ‘body servant’.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Yeah I've definitely heard a couple of Upstart loan ads and raised an eyebrow. No idea if the company's a legitimate debt consolidation thing, or if they're as predatory as most short-term lenders targeting individuals in financial trouble.

Their website certainly sets off some warning bells - the stuff about how they'll give large loans to people with low incomes/bad credit based on their potential for future earnings could be actual altruism, or it could be the standard baiting the hook to put people into debts they have no realistic chance of paying off, which can then be packaged and sold on to other companies. Jury's out, though, maybe their business model is somehow different from that.

I think Giant Bomb is running them too so they must be putting out some serious cash

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Not enough people are talking about the kitty-cat sound effects in the TAZ finale.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
https://twitter.com/SatchellDrakes/status/1382857883881246720?s=20

posted without comment

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TAZG finale trip report: it was aight. I liked Justin's ending in particular, and it's very funny that Travis not only made Griffin roll during his epilogue, but that he rolled a crit failure to live the rest of his life under paranoid stress. See you all in a month or two for the next round of bellyaching.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can someone run the “lowercase” thing by me? I get the intent but I don’t follow the logic.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

With the end of Graduation I sincerely hope we can put an end to the regular "well I didn't listen but from what everyone else says it sounds like poo poo and this is how I would fix it" posts. That would be swell.

Secondly, if you haven't listened to this week's Wonderful! you really should. Griffin breaks out his childhood journals and you get some real gems. Griffin liked himself a fib or three growing up.

One the one hand, TAZ was easily their most popular product at one point and could have been a meal ticket. On the other hand, I sympathize. A lot of good threads get taken over once TTRPG nerds grab the helm (which I'm guilty of).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's fair to criticize the product, but if someone is just going by what other people are saying and hasn't listened since its first three months, then what kinda criticism is being floated out there? Graduation did not take long to be the black sheep of the show, I don't think anyone's denying that. But drat there have been some solid episodes criticized by people who weren't even listening. It's maddening.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TL posted:

Divine Wood was possibly Clint's high point in 70 goddamn episodes of that show. I'd never played D&D when I first heard that, and was on my second extended campaign on my second listen, and exclaimed gently caress YEAH! both times, and both felt earned to me.
I wish they'd gotten more mileage out of the ring. It has so many possibilities.

I'd change Chill Touch into Chill Couch and instantly make it end a battle to just hang out for a while on a comfy sofa and work out our issues reasonably.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cast Create Hater and walk away while the ultimate hustler destroys your opponent

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

C-Euro posted:

TAZG finale trip report: it was aight. I liked Justin's ending in particular, and it's very funny that Travis not only made Griffin roll during his epilogue, but that he rolled a crit failure to live the rest of his life under paranoid stress. See you all in a month or two for the next round of bellyaching.

just out of curiosity, would it be possible to get a summary of the fates of the main cast?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Crown of Dadness. Any enemy that fails a save becomes non-aggressive and to be filled only with a desire to wear cargo shorts and to grill.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The ring from balance was a really cool fan creation honestly, I really wish it had seen more uses as it could've made for some pretty amazing goofs.

Divine Wood was absolutely perfect though

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Crown of Dadness. Any enemy that fails a save becomes non-aggressive and to be filled only with a desire to wear cargo shorts and to grill.

The possibilities are endless...

Firebawl

Mage Band

Paste

Pope Trick

Control Heather (a very specific spell, useful with certain people or particular plants on the moor...)

Sunbean

... Vampiric Douch

Milf's Acid Arrow, it's just like the regular one but sexier

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

just out of curiosity, would it be possible to get a summary of the fates of the main cast?

After saving the world and ending the system of corporate heroes and villains, Fitzroy retires from adventuring to become a fabulously wealthy fashion designer. Five years later, he returns to Clyde Nite's Night Knight School, now run by Sylvia Nite, the woman he got expelled for accidentally turning into a catfish just before the campaign began. He returns his old school uniform and tells her that he's here to enroll. She says they don't really do the licensed heroes stuff any more, and he says, he knows - he wants to help in a more significant way by studying law.

The Firbolg wanders for a time, and eventually sits down in a field in the middle of nowhere and takes out his Pocket Gary. He talks to the little Gary about how his travels outside the firbolg tribe have taught him a lot, and for a while he thought that he needed to change himself to adapt to the individualism of the wider world, but ultimately he finds that he still values the sense of community he grew up with. He longs for a people to call his own, but he knows that his exile was unfair and that the firbolgs wouldn't take him back anyway. He asks Gary (connected to all the other Garies, now living in the Unknown Forest after the Wigginstaff brothers closed up their school) if all Garies are treated as equals. After a bit of back and forth, he says that he knows he can't be connected to their hive mind, but if they'll let him, he'd like to be a Gary. It is agreed, the Firbolg sighs contentedly, and says that it is nice to have a name.

There's then a great little bit about how the Garies become famous across Nua for providing accounting services to struggling families, drawing on the Firbolg's now extensive knowledge of personal finance.

Argo "did the pirate thing for a while" after reclaiming his mother's flagship from the Commodore, but ultimately found that it rang hollow. Inspired by his journey with his friends, he retrofitted the Mariah into a cruise ship themed around the firbolg values of honesty and sharing, which he calls The Firboat, and now makes his living running nautical tours. Clint has brought a song to the table which is the Firboat's theme song, which he sings, and it's great.

We cut to all three PCs on the deck of the Firboat five years after the end of the adventure, sipping cocktails and catching up. Argo floats the suggestion that, since he's now commandeered the rest of the Commodore's fleet, he's been thinking of retrofitting it into additional cruise ships themed after each of his friends, and if they want, they could sail the seas together as a cruise fleet. The Firbolg - now Gary - says he's more comfortable on land, but he'll leave Pocket Gary here so that he can always communicate with Argo. Fitzroy says that he's about to be real busy with law school, but he thinks they'll figure something out. Argo's touring operation is a thriving subsidiary of Thunderman LLC., after all! The show ends on an entirely improvised three-part harmony of all three of them attempting to sing the Thundermen theme song at once.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 16, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

might wanna spoiler that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm impressed that Justin kept up the gimmick of refusing to give his character a name for the entire season; I stopped listening pretty early on but did wonder how that was going to go

hopefully the next campaign is good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What letter are we on now? I?

My hope is space themed

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

more falafel please posted:

might wanna spoiler that
not that that's a bad thing but who's gonna accidentally read paragraphs of text that are in direct response to a question asking for spoilers

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They should just multiverse it. Literally no consequences or continuity, play in every tv or movie trope you've ever seen. Have a blast, kill your characters, it's great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know how Justin always manages to nail it, but he always manages to nail it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i do hope the brothers listen to mission to zyxx because, even if zyxx's particular style is too much for an actual play podcast, the general world and its dumb, comedic approach to sci-fi tropes is really excellent.