Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Despite... certain things that happened... you made that look pretty easy, and I get the impression that's not usually the case. Well done.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with the Deepnest. It’s probably where the Mantis Lords are keeping the really good treasure, and that’s why they were trying to keep you out of it!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pumpinglemma posted:

I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with the Deepnest. It’s probably where the Mantis Lords are keeping the really good treasure, and that’s why they were trying to keep you out of it!

Think of all the grubs -_-_- that could be there!

Mantis Lords is one of my favorite fights, because it has clean, simple patterns and a steady rhythm.

The Mantis Village and Lords also have some great story implications. You've got that tablet about the compact holding and the beasts restrained, and the Hallownest Seal in the treasure room showing they acted in accord with the king, and just past the Mantis Lords arena, you have that immense pile of dead bugs.

I'd recommend buying Quick Focus from Salubra (Well, I mean prioritizing it, you will/should be buying everything eventually), that makes it much easier to take advantage of the lulls in boss attack patterns.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That was super smooth, dang. Even with a death that's gotta be one of the best Mantis Lord encounters I've seen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mantis Lords is such a fun fight. Even when they only really have three moves, the flow of the battle is one of the most satisfying in the game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Even more than Hornet, Mantis Lords are the boss fight that make me go 'Oh this should be super easy', then I eat a bunch of poo poo because I fumble finger it.

There was a bizarre glee in watching Nat20 jump up and sideways into the sonic boom, AND over the spike, thus doubling the damage spoiler because it was the most recent video.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I feel like the Mantis Lords are the first fight that really shows off Hollow Knight's potential. You've got some mobility in the form of the dash, you've got just enough flexibility in how you choose your charms to make a difference, everything is telegraphed once you work out how, and it feels so good when you pull everything off. The boss fights are the best part of Hollow Knight, and that's saying a lot.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Mantis Lords taught me how to play the game.

Hollow Knight was good before. I enjoyed it before I reached this part. I had a great time, but something was still missing. I felt like I was stumbling through fights rather than learning how to approach them. Then I reached this boss. For context, I had not found the entrance to the City of Tears. I didn't upgrade my nail, despite seeing Quirrel and having him recommend this to me. He told me not to bash my head against the boss, but I did anyway. Why? Thinking back I'm not entirely sure. Maybe I was just stubborn, maybe I was convinced it was the only way forward despite that clearly not being true.

But I think the biggest reason I kept on fighting them is because I knew I could win.

Every mistake I made was my mistake. I was actually learning as I kept on fighting them. I made less mistakes and I could see myself getting farther and farther every time. And when I finally got that final blow, I was over the moon. I felt like I had finally experienced what this game actually meant for the first time, how I was supposed to approach encounters. And for that reason these ladies will always be my favorite boss in the entire game.

Actually haven't watched the video yet but everyone was sharing their personal experiences so I felt like I had to.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Two deaths on the first phase and zero on the second phase. drat, that's impressive.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Mantis Lords are the point that I stopped liking Hollow Knight.

They are also the point where I started loving Hollow Knight.

Edit: I know it makes you anxious, but the perpetual options are something that are truly great about the game in my eyes. There's always several different directions you can go, and they're all right. This is the best example of non-linear Metroidvania structure I've ever seen.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 18, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I loved the non-linearity because it meant I was never stonewalled. A boss is giving me trouble? I have twelve other things I can do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mantis Lords is one of the best fights in the game and Mark of Pride is one of the best charms in the game. Just a very good segment all around, and on my first playthrough I waited way too long to do this fight.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Omobono posted:

I'm going to bet on the deathless run longshot. I believe in Natural 20.

:v: I believed in you Natural 20, I believed :v:

That boss fight was really well designed. Apart from Nat suiciding into the wind slashes every attack was well telegraphed, to the point the second phase might look hectic at first glance but he got through that in one try because he already knew what to do.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Mantis Lords is probably my favourite boss fight in the base game and like... third favourite in the game overall.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I get the options thing. I feel more comfortable playing a game like Zelda Twilight Princess where the next dungeon is always clear than Breath of the Wild.

It's also much, much harder to get storytelling right in non-linear games.

I think Super Metroid is a fantastic game because unless you're very good at sequence breaks, it only gives you the illusion of options, with everything but the intended path being, ultimately, a dead end, so it still manages to tell a sequential story.

And unless you know what's going on you might never even realize on a first playthrough that there's a clear planned sequence of events.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 18, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oddly enough I never had that feeling with BotW. Probably because there was always a place I was meant to be going even if I had the option not to.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ultimate destination: The giant pool of raspberry jam. Feel free to faff about all you like, but you're gonna be getting sticky eventually.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dareon posted:

Ultimate destination: The giant pool of raspberry jam. Feel free to faff about all you like, but you're gonna be getting sticky eventually.

No, that's Hades.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had a similar but especially weird issue in my first attempt at playing this game, because I genuinely at some point thought that I had nowhere to go even though that seems literally impossible in retrospect. There was a certain obstacle I had encountered in an early-game area (the Fog Canyon, actually) which led me to believe that Soon, I'd find something to pass by there and that was necessary. Basically, poisoned by "oh there's a small gap, I'll find a slide soon" design in other Metroidvanias. I kept going back there and trying new tools and it never worked. I kept finding non-progress-essential stuff and nothing helped there. I think finally I found a big movement upgrade and was like phew now I can re-explore...everything, I'll do it next week for sure

and then didn't play for two years

No chance to pick that back up, totally confused as to where I'd been before, and what I tried, so when I saw your thread I finally got off my rear end, restarted from the beginning, reached said movement upgrade in literally a third the time, and proceeded to finish the game around your tenth update. Felt really good. I haven't done all the content - because especially with all the stuff added from the free updates, there's a hell of a lot - but I'm pretty satisfied with my HK experience, and I'll probably replay it eventually.

Overall despite my bizarre hangup the first time around I'd say it's really loving good, with even the problem spots mostly being patched-in optional superhard challenges where I'll just say sure, not for me. Especially on the replay it's eye-opening how truly open the game is, a phenomenal accomplishment imo. And it still manages to have obvious "go there later maybe" and a "this is probably the intended babby's path" route.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That openness is actually why I really like Super Metroid but don't really like how Hollow Knight looks. I like it when a game gives me clear goals, even if I don't have to do it immediately. Breath of the Wild is a good example. I know where the game wants me to go, I have a destination. I'll probably get distracted on the way to that destination and explore the surrounding areas but I know where I'm supposed to go. I don't like having absolutely no direction whatsoever. I know some people love that but it's not for me, it's the same reason why I don't care about Minecraft but love Dragon Quest Builders. Just going "Do whatever you want!" leaves me going "I don't know what I want to do" and just not doing anything.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's how I felt with BotW. I'd see an enemy and be thinking I'm sure there are lots of clever things I could do here. I could drop loads of metal objects to conduct the electricity over there and get him to walk over it and and get fried. I could set fire to the grass next to that cliff with a fire arrow and use the updraft to glide up to where that boulder is perched and push it down to crush him. I could chop this tree down, freeze the log in time and hit it with my hammer so it flies into him like a freight train when it unfreezes.

...or I could just run up and twat him with my sword. Yeah that seems like the most effective way. I'll do that.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Concurring with everyone else that the Mantis Lords was when the game start being Hollow Knight. I know it's a rather simple fight when you think about it, but it felt great to do it the first time. And it's still fun to revisit, unlike a certain boss, imo.

As for the options, I remember making a point to go in the completely opposite path during my second playthrough from where I did the first playthrough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Making Drinking Water from Hydrochloric acid:
Step 1: Add Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) to neutralise the acid and create salt water.
Step 2: Distill salt water to make drinking water.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm a huge, huge fan of the presentation of the fountain and the title drop alongside it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jen X posted:

I'm a huge, huge fan of the presentation of the fountain and the title drop alongside it.

Same. And that's probably a lot of people's epiphany that "Wait, Hollow Knight isn't the name of the main character?" Usually the fandom refers to him as Ghost (What Hornet calls you), just The Knight, or Antony Beetlesworth III.

I think most people also come at it from the left, find the door into the fancy part of town is locked, and then head back left to find the Nailsmith.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There is something about the travel distances that I do not enjoy either; as Nat remarked at the end and when he wasn't sure what the best way to the next station would be, you can get pretty far in and have to walk a while until you can fast travel. While you're exploring, that does increase the "oh poo poo I'm always going deeper and farther away from safety aaaah" atmosphere, but when you just want to cash in or later are checking missed secrets off a list, it can drag.

Mantis Village is particularly badly connected, imo. Funnily enough there's a door in the Fungal Wastes that would make a nice shortcut into City of Tears, but it's closed off and there's nothing you can do to open it lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

What a lovely update :haw:

One of main devs does the voice of Dung Defender, he dropped a few lines live during a demo or some live event. There's a lot of really good fake voice acting in this game in general.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The simlish (Buglish?) of the game works quite well for me, I must admit. Does anyone know if the devs have spoken about how much it was planned and directed? Generally feels like a Eastern European vibe to me, but I forget where Team Cherry are from.

Also I had to look up how to actually read the 'Sad Bug' near the Dashmaster statue, it always falls out of my head right after I do it. (The 2 times I have in the past.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If I remember right from reading through the Hollow Knight thread back in the day, the team got their voice actors (which was mostly themselves and their friends) to just spout random garbage in the right tone of voice. A lot of the bugs sound Eastern European because their actors are. Same for why Hornet sounds Japanese. It's kind of interesting how your native language affects random syllables in ways other people can pick up on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Team Cherry is based in Australia :eng101: I think they wanted each "speaking" bug to sound like a different actual language, but I don't know that it gets more complex than that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Team Cherry is based in Australia, and one of the devs hung around the main Hollow Knight thread for a while:

George Lazenby posted:

We did write down a few common words (I think i use 'ludo' a lot) but people often had trouble reading them so later on we tended to just get people to write down their own made-up gibberish so they could speak it more naturally. It was pretty interesting, cos people tended to make up gibberish that related to their background and it really shone through. Makoto did Hornet, and she really obviously sounds Japanese-ish. A lot of my stuff and some of my Mum's is based on Greek words or sounds kinda European (we're Greek). Our French translator, Shalulu, did the voice of Cloth and No Eyes which is why they (particularly Cloth) sound distinctly French.

Cheers! Yeah sales are good, I think we're past 130K units sold on Steam now. Most importantly the whole thing is definitely sustainable, so we can keep making more stuff!

Heyy thanks! Yeah team was small, just me Ari n Dave as the core. Then Chris was the composer, and Matt came in as marketing/PR towards the end. Plus testers and stuff at the end of course (ie our friends).

Haha, I got some new decent headphones for the office and was just saying to Ari today how happy I was with the general soundscape of the waterways. The atmos and the reverb and the drips and stuff all come together nicely, and the weird creature noises help heaps too. I did the voices for the fluke dudes when they're walking around, but Chris made the crazy noises for when they get cut in half. I think he may have grabbed random animal samples and mashed em up? Oh and Makoto (Hornet's voice) did the Flukemarm.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 20, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also, darn this LP. I had a kind of late second run (first was before any DLC and got less far. Found 2 of the PLOT THINGS but apparently had cheevos for getting all the soul container upgrades. All the stag stations and maps. Two of the optional DLC bosses.

And now I want to play again, but if I do, I'll have to start from the beginning because I will be lost and have lost all my manual skills. All while Bug Fables is staring jealously at me.

So thanks Nat20 and Yorkshire Tea.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

Team Cherry is based in Australia, and one of the devs hung around the main Hollow Knight thread for a while:

Hey there's a couple of names we haven't yet encountered in here that should be covered up, but that's a cool write-up regardless.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Making Drinking Water from Hydrochloric acid:
Step 1: Add Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) to neutralise the acid and create salt water.
Step 2: Distill salt water to make drinking water.

Yes, this works. Of course you want the amounts to match up otherwise you're left with a dilute basic or acid solution so it still isn't quite pure.

Also note that hydrochloric acid is a solution of hydrogen chloride gas in water, so no matter what, if you find a way to take the existing acid out (NaOH + distillation is as good a way as any) you're left with just water.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dung Defender seems like a cool dude, I want him at my party.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno, seems like he's got a lot of poo poo going on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do genuinely love that Dung Defender is just having the absolute time of his life for the entire boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SirSamVimes posted:

I do genuinely love that Dung Defender is just having the absolute time of his life for the entire boss fight.

:emptyquote: