Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rukIHD7rNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I'm still mad that the Conan series was canceled in order to funnel more money into this. Give me big titty sword and sorcery with awkward attempts to paper over Robert E Howard's insane racism, you cowards

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure that well is poisoned by now.

rowling is gonna personally fund a remake of the first one starring a whole new slate of child stars. six weeks before release the new hermione actress will be outed by paparazzi as identifying as nonbinary on their anonymized tiktok account, which will lead jk to personally harass them into quitting acting and delaying the movie 8 months to digitally replace them with the child of some blood drinking tory psycho. it will be the only film of the reboot project to get made as Rowling becomes progressively more unhinged in making sure all cast and crew are ideologically pure

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wasn’t this series supposed to have a timer on it where Amazon lost the rights if the show wasn’t out by 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Judakel posted:

just an hour plus video of apologies because you couldnt say "my bad"

like an hour of it is her addressing every problematic tweet the teens could find

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That lotr show is gonna suck

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Farm Frenzy posted:

like an hour of it is her addressing every problematic tweet the teens could find

lmao talk about letting other people control the narrative

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it'll be fun seeing how they spend all that money lmao.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

it'll be fun seeing how they spend all that money lmao.

Based on how big blockbusters are made now I assume it's all cgi to make the whole thing look like a lovely video game

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if they keep the lotr show low-stakes with sweeping pans of landscape i'll be happy

coathat
May 21, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm wondering which will be worse between it and the amazon Wheel of Time series

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

if they keep the lotr show low-stakes with sweeping pans of landscape i'll be happy

they can’t keep it low stakes. also the lead actor is ugly as poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

coathat posted:

I'm wondering which will be worse between it and the amazon Wheel of Time series

the foundation series tv show

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Some elf titties, yeah

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

coathat posted:

amazon's the culture

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

amazon's the culture

canceled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has Amazon made (not acquired or co-produced) a good show yet? Bosch maybe?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

first two seasons of man in the high castle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

The Boys?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've enjoyed some amazon originals but I don't have any faith in them to handle something as sentimental as lotr

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
imagine the scene where homelander and stormfront angry bang but instead it's Legolas and some elven harlot.

that's the first episode.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

vyelkin posted:

The Boys?

ah there we go. so the lotr show could be good it just almost certainly won’t be

I feel like the fact that there’s still 0 promo material is a warning flag

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

As far as i can tell all she did was like something made by white people more then something made by asians, which isnt really inherently racist imo

unless she doubled down on something really stupid all the original tweet said was that avatar the last airbender is super influential on modern oriental styled american fantasy to the point theyre starting to feel excessively derivative which isnt even necessarily saying that avatar the last airbender is good since bad media is also influential whether or not a work is derivative isnt necessarily a quality judgment

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

atla rules

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bizarrely enough the young adult twitter people who got mad at ellis also like avatar the last airbender they are apparently mad at the idea that other people also liked it so much it influenced their own work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

bizarrely enough the young adult twitter people who got mad at ellis also like avatar the last airbender they are apparently mad at the idea that other people also liked it so much it influenced their own work

the main issue was she picked examples that were super common in fantasy, and especially eastern fantasy tropes, so boiling it down to 'avatar stuff' was kinda reductive, and she responded to people going 'this is kinda a dumb take' with a meltdown that lasted until...well a 2 hour video where she lumps in minorities telling her it may be best to just not feel the urge to fight with every minority who shares their view with her with 'gamergate style harassment' in a section called 'she deserved it' as if she's an assault victim for it.

Like, the vid loving sucks and she took a fairly boring Twitter 'this is dumb' thing and went all cancel culture about it because that's what she's done constantly before, there wasn't a lot of actual 'anger' at her more just annoyance that she keeps doing the same poo poo and acting like the victim each time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

indigi posted:

Patriot.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the main issue was she picked examples that were super common in fantasy, and especially eastern fantasy tropes, so boiling it down to 'avatar stuff' was kinda reductive, and she responded to people going 'this is kinda a dumb take' with a meltdown that lasted until...well a 2 hour video where she lumps in minorities telling her it may be best to just not feel the urge to fight with every minority who shares their view with her with 'gamergate style harassment' in a section called 'she deserved it' as if she's an assault victim for it.

Like, the vid loving sucks and she took a fairly boring Twitter 'this is dumb' thing and went all cancel culture about it because that's what she's done constantly before, there wasn't a lot of actual 'anger' at her more just annoyance that she keeps doing the same poo poo and acting like the victim each time.

it was not 'this is kinda a dumb take'

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the respectful nuanced calling someone a racist because they think a disney movie is similar toa nickelodeon show

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

using avatar as an example is certainly reductive in that its not like the white guys who made avatar invented the tropes but i dont think anyone can argue with a straight face that avatar didnt jump start that entire genre im not sure anyone had even tried to make a non racist oriental fantasy before that show

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

coathat posted:

of that style, i was really disappointed in the shannara tv series on mtv or w/e. i liked the books in middle school but goddamn that show would have been lame even for twelve-year-old me

i didn't know they were making a WoT. anything they do will be better than the books. anything.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how come weebs having anime be a core component of their identity and doing cosplay of all their characters and doing cat girl tiktoks doesn’t count as cultural appropriation (sincere question)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

indigi posted:

how come weebs having anime be a core component of their identity and doing cosplay of all their characters and doing cat girl tiktoks doesn’t count as cultural appropriation (sincere question)

i read several viral tweets vaguely hinting at this take after the shooting

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
because all the current crop of wokescolds like that kind of stuff and its an incredibly inconsistent ideology

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

"everybody in anime is white, not japanese" :brainworms:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So something I just saw in Facebook

My favorite bit at the end theyre has the GRC voting on a plan that would mean mass ethnic cleansing on an unprecedented scale in human history and the Flagsmashers are still the series villain with theyre leader "radicalized beyond reason"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

originally cultural appropriation was intended to describe phenomena wherein a culturally powerful person would steal something from an ethnic culture or subculture and make it their own without properly crediting it the most salient example would be how madonna became emblematic of ball culture which was very much an lgbt thing but since no one outside of those communities knew what ball culture was they thought madonna invented it

the modern woke definition of the term is by contrast utter nonsense because simply by describing the origins of a cultural movement you make appropriating the imagery impossible no one thinks that weebs invented anime their whole gimmick is literally spreading the gospel of anime this thing that comes from glorious nippon which everyone should love

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Farm Frenzy posted:

the respectful nuanced calling someone a racist because they think a disney movie is similar toa nickelodeon show

if you're going to say that a show whose diversity and representation has been endlessly hyped by Disney is actually pretty derivative of a show made by white people it's entirely unsurprising why some people would think that's being racist

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

KomradeX posted:

My favorite bit at the end theyre has the GRC voting on a plan that would mean mass ethnic cleansing on an unprecedented scale in human history and the Flagsmashers are still the series villain with theyre leader "radicalized beyond reason"

idk how any black man is watching that show and thinking "yeah i wanna work for the us government", but it is funny how the show openly acknowledges the flagsmashers are correct, it's just "they go about it the wrong way", and isaiah bradley is also absolutely justified and correct in what he says but they're just gonna slide past it to get to where the show needs to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

double negative posted:

idk how any black man is watching that show and thinking "yeah i wanna work for the us government", but it is funny how the show openly acknowledges the flagsmashers are correct, it's just "they go about it the wrong way", and isaiah bradley is also absolutely justified and correct in what he says but they're just gonna slide past it to get to where the show needs to get.

It's insane that every episode is like heres why your antagonists are right, even down to the whole we have to use violence now because we're dying in refugee camps, but the liberals writers can't even pretend to create a pretense in which their wrong. Like no matter how much it's shown that everything is hosed and the downtrodden have no recourse it just says Utah bur if you fight back against us you're the bad guy is utterly mad and smites to just enough historical evil that people will ask bur how is it propaganda when it talks about how the government oppresses black people

The horror they have at killing Walker's sidekick makes no sense to me