Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Didnt dusk take like 2 years to get ported to unity
Dusk was always on Unity, but it was poorly coded in UnityScript and a lot of the post-release mod SDK/console port work has been actual programmers rewriting everything in C# and making improvements along the way (like not loading every single song in the game into memory at startup).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
UnityScript itself being some horrible thing based off JavaScript and has been end of lifed since 2017 and removed from Unity altogether since some LTS of the editor around then.

Famously (uh, kinda), Yandere Simulator is still using it because that's all the terrible developer can figure out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

repiv posted:

It will never stop being funny how Unity sabotaged their own reputation by only mandating MADE WITH UNITY splashes on the cheap/free licenses that small inexperienced studios (and outright shovelware developers) tend to use
Back when Unity was created it was competing with Macromedia Flash in the "free web game" market, so the whole point of those splash screens was to compete in mindshare with Macromedia/Adobe.

Of course, the market shifted under their feet relatively quickly and suddenly they were the most popular engine for stand-alone paid indie games.

Thinking about it, Unity is easily the third most important FPS engine of all time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

It will never stop being funny how Unity sabotaged their own reputation by only mandating MADE WITH UNITY splashes on the cheap/free licenses that small inexperienced studios (and outright shovelware developers) tend to use

It should be the opposite then?

Make the obligatory splash logo for the professionals, hide it for the amateurs?
Mmm kinda makes sense.

:magemage:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1382732377970126852?s=19

So much love

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I love Blood. Think I'll load up Fresh Supply after work :)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Caleb is the king of Build Dudes. Glowing red eyes? The hat? The duster? The voice? King poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Caleb is the king of Build Dudes. Glowing red eyes? The hat? The duster? The voice? King poo poo.

Also no weird sexism that I can remember

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

That voice will be in Gloomwood. Along with the amazing inventory system, I'm starting to get hyped and is not my type of game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

He does a complete bizzare andrew dice clay bit of "along came a spider and sat down beside her and said, ey, whats in the bowl bitch?"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's interesting how the popular figure of Build game has been Duke / DN3D, but for the more connoisseur public, is Caleb / Blood.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Well, we won't hold that against him.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The United States posted:

Thinking about it, Unity is easily the third most important FPS engine of all time.

The other two being Quake and Unreal?

Somewhere, Lithtech feels abandoned..

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd swap Doom for Quake, both to represent a different era and to acknowledge it was really responsible for the whole thing to a greater degree

Looking at the Lithtech family on Wikipedia, I had no idea it was still around and had been used so many times, including a lot of really good games, but I don't really spot anything that was a hugely influential milestone

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 16, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Project Osiris, aka, the GZDoom remake of Alien Breed 3D, has hit v1.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCw7D01OWk

New features in this update include a new, original soundtrack and many a presentation and gameplay tweak.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

I'd swap Doom for Quake, both to represent a different era and to acknowledge it was really responsible for the whole thing to a greater degree

Looking at the Lithtech family on Wikipedia, I had no idea it was still around and had been used so many times, including a lot of really good games, but I don't really spot anything that was a hugely influential milestone

I’d argue Quake is more important as an engine, where Doom is more important as a game. Remember that any Call of Duty game and any Source engine game still has chunks of Carmack’s code holding it together to this day.

Outside of Unreal Engine, I can’t think of anything else that has that sort of reach.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drat, I've never been able to get all three.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

catlord posted:

First time I played that level I refused to continue until I got all 3 in.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The other two being Quake and Unreal?

Somewhere, Lithtech feels abandoned..

haveblue posted:

Sorry, typo, I meant game engine companies. So Id, Epic, and Unity.

But even if we condense it to engine families, I think you're right, it's still right after Quake and Doom.

haveblue posted:

JupiterEx Hooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ile3HJ-Tg8Y

Not only did they make like 5 different FEAR games and expandalones, they also made a ton of 2-hour long Valusoft TERRORIST TAKEDOWN SAS SECURE TOMORROW games with that engine.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

And a Mortyr sequel and a Wolfschanze sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYut-CWC1I

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

laserghost posted:

And a Mortyr sequel and a Wolfschanze sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYut-CWC1I
Wow there was a Wolfschanze 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2Cn13TnCI

Mmm yeah that's some Jupiter EX goodness, look at those sparking bullets

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

catlord posted:

If I remember right it was any three generic zombie heads that worked, not just those specific ones. So if you lose some (or if they vanish after you kick them around too much): go forth and kill.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Two Owls posted:

If I remember right it was any three generic zombie heads that worked, not just those specific ones. So if you lose some (or if they vanish after you kick them around too much): go forth and kill.

I have! I didn't actually know that any head would work, but I certainly tried anyways.

Anyways, I kinda love Lithtech, but its early engine is jank as gently caress and the later one is just a drat fine engine that most people don't realise isn't one of the big ones. With the exception of Monolith's own games, it's basically always been the "we can't afford Unreal or iDtech" engine.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 17, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wow that is a much longer list than I ever thought.

Also that sounds like a description of CryEngine as well, but, it's even better that way.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

haveblue posted:

Hey now Alien vs Predator 2 kicked rear end it probably didn’t and it wasn’t very popular but it was real fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was good. Multiplayer at least but that was what made the original AvP great too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was good. Multiplayer at least but that was what made the original AvP great too.

I didn't really follow anything aside from seeing the previews of the Alien Vs Predator Jaguar game; was there ever a follow up to that asymmetrical multiplayer idea that that game tried to pull off?

Basically, was there a good redo of the Jaguar game?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah the same devs made an avp pc game in 1999 that was really good

https://www.gog.com/game/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I didn't really follow anything aside from seeing the previews of the Alien Vs Predator Jaguar game; was there ever a follow up to that asymmetrical multiplayer idea that that game tried to pull off?

Basically, was there a good redo of the Jaguar game?

The first PC AvP is good (at least, I have fond memories of it). It has a quirky homegrown engine that’s honestly pretty solid. The alien is one of the few FPS characters that can leave Doomguy in the dust and it can get delightfully confusing when you jump in to a group of humans and start hackin’n’slashin. Humans have a monster arsenal but are pretty weak; Predators are what you expect. I think I played DM on a LAN but that was 20+ years ago. The characters for sure play very differently from each other.

AvP2 has a better story campaign (AvP1 kinda has a story but it feels more like a series of disparate levels strung together). It feels a more tame and refined though; much slower movement than in the first game, for one.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the marine campaign especially creates an incredible atmosphere for such an old game. exploring the deserted colony in the dark, pouring rain creates such a strong sensation of “i really really do not want to be here”

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I remember in AVP2 me and a friend were playing it and a really odd thing happened. He was playing Predator, and I was running a human with whatever class has the sniper rifle. he had thrown the disc at me and from what I can guess is that I sniped the disc (since it was heading straight in front of me) and the game couldn't comprehend this and killed the server. It seems really weird for the game to not be able to handle that, but honestly who could predict such a weirdly specific thing happening?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
i burnt out a little bit on games in general a couple of months ago but have reintroduced Doom into my life.

Finally got around to playing PSX Doom via the GEC Master Edition and actually really enjoyed it. Because it has so many similarities to Doom 64 it's made me realize that what i don't really like about 64 are the ugly prerendered sprites, everything else (lighting, pace, sounds+music) is alright. Also some really strange changes from the original (obviously for hardware limitations, i'd bet; for example the PSX version of The Crusher's iconic main room is about 15 feet high. also they nerfed the poo poo out of the Revenant, i guess regular speed spooky skelemen would have been overwhelming on a psx controller.

I also finished No Rest for the Living in one sitting a couple of nights ago and had a blast. It's a bit monochromatic in its designs but i enjoyed it a lot more than I thought i would, especially map04: Hell mountain and map05: Vivisection. Of the commercially released wads i think i only have Master Levels left, and, uhhh, no thanks.

Now i've jumped back in to Ancient Aliens and it's slaughtering me. But it's so creative and the music rocks so i keep coming back for more.

Up on the "started but haven't finished" FPS pile when i'm done are:

- HL1 (hit a wall somewhere in Forget about Freeman)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order (stopped somewhere in Eisenwald)
- Arcane Dimensions (don't remember where i stopped, 10-12 maps in i think)
- Comedy option: learn Trenchbroom and start making maps

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Weedle posted:

the marine campaign especially creates an incredible atmosphere for such an old game. exploring the deserted colony in the dark, pouring rain creates such a strong sensation of “i really really do not want to be here”

The first level in particular is still so memorable for me. Just steadily ramping the tension without a single enemy. I'm afraid to revisit it because i don't know how well it'll hold up, but i remember loving it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Voodoo Cafe posted:

The first level in particular is still so memorable for me. Just steadily ramping the tension without a single enemy. I'm afraid to revisit it because i don't know how well it'll hold up, but i remember loving it.

But the problem is where do you go from there? AVP2 answer is release the tension and turn into a normal sci-fi shooter which is ok I guess. A way that sort of seems to work is rouge like short run games where you can turn up the tension and then end the game and then run it again and again with a different layout so you never have to outstay the setting.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

an alien game could work pretty well with roguelike elements i think. you’re on some sort of randomly generated rust bucket ship with a randomly generated crew with randomly generated personality traits and also one of them is randomly an android. kind of like the ‘84 computer game but more so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alien Isolation = Alien

Alien Versus Predator 2 = Aliens

Aliens: Colonial Marines = Alien versus Predator

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
which one is alien trilogy

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Alien Trilogy is the Prometheus of the games, it's got a lot of issues but some people like it regardless.

You know, I understand they're not well regarded, but I liked both the AvP movies. Actually, keeping in mind I haven't seen The Predator yet, I've at the very least enjoyed all the Alien and Predator movies. That said, I'd like to nominate Colonial Marines as the Alien: Covenant of the games, unless we can nominate the hypothetical third of the prequel trilogy.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

aliens isolation. like alien isolation but theres more than one alien but your gun actually works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

First time a Xenomorph comes at you down a dark hallway, charging and screeching, and you dump an entire rifle mag into it out of terror.

AvP got "it" with the Marine campaign