Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you trust a random foreign based company that's spending a fortune on advertising with all of your traffic. If they wanted to, they could selectively target you with dumping your browser's ephemeral key material and then decrypt everything you've conveniently routed through them.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS/Key_Log_Format

if you want to proxy your traffic go buy a vps and run your own wireguard vpn, or socks proxy or something. Although its unclear what good that does either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Methanar posted:

lol if you trust a random foreign based company that's spending a fortune on advertising with all of your traffic. If they wanted to, they could selectively target you with dumping your browser's ephemeral key material and then decrypt everything you've conveniently routed through them.

if you want to proxy your traffic go buy a vps and run your own wireguard vpn, or socks proxy or something. Although its unclear what good that does either.
Sorry, how do you figure my VPN company is going to get access to my computer to install something so they can get any keys I have locally?

Any large VPN provider is fine if your threats are shifty local coffeeshop wifi and the RIAA. None of them are good enough if Mossad is after you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Trapick posted:

Sorry, how do you figure my VPN company is going to get access to my computer to install something so they can get any keys I have locally?

Any large VPN provider is fine if your threats are shifty local coffeeshop wifi and the RIAA. None of them are good enough if Mossad is after you.

Do PIA and friends not require you to install a client? If you've installed somebody's software with enough privileges to reconfigure network devices and your route table, they can do anything.

If you're worried about starbucks wifi, I've good news for you that all your favorite sites have been using tls for 15 years.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Methanar posted:

Do PIA and friends not require you to install a client? If you've installed somebody's software with enough privileges to reconfigure network devices and your route table, they can do anything.

If you're worried about starbucks wifi, I've good news for you that all your favorite sites have been using tls for 15 years.
The ones I've looked at have clients you can install, but also provide general connection info to use with either your built-in OS vpn software or any open source client you want (usually with the openvpn protocol). Installing an unknown application is, of course, risky.

Also yes, make sure you're on https on any sites you remotely care about/enter any info on. That'll deal with nearly all the trouble a vpn would save you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a digestive issues/disorders discussion thread?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

If you look up “mendacious” on Google, it literally displays a photo of Donald John Trump next to the Webster definition.

Incorrect, his photo is actually next to "gullible".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thepopmonster posted:

Incorrect, his photo is actually next to "gullible".

Really? I'm gonna go check!

E: Dammit tricked again :saddowns:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mak0rz posted:

There’s an eating disorder thread in e/n, that might help?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There used to be a Chron's disease thread in e/n where people talked about digestive medical problems, you could make a new one if you wanted. I wouldn't recommend the eating disorders thread for talking about problems that come from a physical disease or injury rather than a psychological disorder.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

There's this one too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964944&pagenumber=1

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

StrixNebulosa posted:

There’s an eating disorder thread in e/n, that might help?

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I wouldn't recommend the eating disorders thread for talking about problems that come from a physical disease or injury rather than a psychological disorder.

Yeah I mean I'll take a look but I don't think that's really what I'm looking for...

This is actually more in the correct realm, though I was hoping for something a little more serious.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there a forum thread somewhere (archived or not) about Ohio/Cleveland?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is there a forum thread somewhere (archived or not) about Ohio/Cleveland?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032539&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

According to Drew Carey, it rocks

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

I’ll make one in The Goon Doctor right now!

Edit: here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965122

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 16, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why don't we all type on stenotype keyboards if stenography is so fast?

I mean I don't want to but it seems like it would be a good idea

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Qwerty keyboards were actually specifically designed to slow down typists in the days when typewriter keys could get jammed together. People have developed much more optimized keyboards but very few people adopt them cause people are just used to qwerty and don't want to learn a new keyboard for just a, idk, 10-20% increase in speed?

Stenographers use them because they have to keep up with people talking, but most people are typing original words and the time it takes to think up what to write is probably the limiting factor or similar timescale as typing, so I don't even know if most people would benefit from a 20% boost in typing speed.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

Qwerty keyboards were actually specifically designed to slow down typists in the days when typewriter keys could get jammed together. People have developed much more optimized keyboards but very few people adopt them cause people are just used to qwerty and don't want to learn a new keyboard for just a, idk, 10-20% increase in speed?

Stenographers use them because they have to keep up with people talking, but most people are typing original words and the time it takes to think up what to write is probably the limiting factor or similar timescale as typing, so I don't even know if most people would benefit from a 20% boost in typing speed.

On top of this, I'm a computer programmer and steno keyboards would actively hinder my day-to-day experience with a keyboard.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
There are people who program at least a bit who use chording keyboards of one form or another. Someone who does both steganography and some programming has done things like this Vim demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuVUGKBOp9Q

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dirby posted:

There are people who program at least a bit who use chording keyboards of one form or another. Someone who does both steganography and some programming has done things like this Vim demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuVUGKBOp9Q

Oh, I was thinking about steno keyboards that don't have the special symbols that I need on a day-to-day basis. I'm not as hard-core as that video, but I do have some chording programmed into the keyboard that I use.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’ll make one in The Goon Doctor right now!

Edit: here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965122

Thank you!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Back when I worked for Books-A-Million in the mid-aughts, their staff intranet page had a section that mentioned author appearances on TV and radio that made it really handy when someone came in asking for a book that they saw on Good Morning America or heard on NPR or whatever. Does anyone know of an aggregate website or a publication that has this information? Or was that feature something BAM did in-house?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Did something change in Facebook for everyone?

Facebook is repeatedly injecting links to businesses and other things (including a song, at one point) after or at the end of my replies today. For example, I had a post referring to the greyhound rescue, and FB put in a link to some restaurant called the greyhound restaurant. I had to delete the reply and repost it with "greyhound" replaced by "racing dog" to get rid of the drat thing. Earlier, I mentioned Kia and Hyundai in a post, and got all sorts of weird links underneath it, for a car dealer as well as for some bizarre site whose name was a partial homonym of Kia, I think. I got rid of those bye replacing Kia with "K i a", and similarly for Hyundai.

I've only been able to tolerate FB because I use FB Purity, but this may be a bridge too far.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Methanar posted:

I use ProtonMail and ProtonVPN, and I trust them. A company specifically built around privacy, personal encrypted communication, and not letting other people see your data - to the point where their datacenters are under a mountain in Switzerland - is all right by me.

As for "foreign based", I sure as hell trust a Swiss company more than a US or Australian one!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Peristalsis posted:

I ... tolerate FB

Stop doing that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

In addition to the other answers you've gotten.......isn't steno a "shorthand" keyboard? Which means it's phonetic, not an actual spelling of words so that seems to be less than optimal for a lot of things that require exact spelling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Peristalsis posted:

Facebook is repeatedly injecting links to businesses and other things (including a song, at one point) after or at the end of my replies today. For example, I had a post referring to the greyhound rescue, and FB put in a link to some restaurant called the greyhound restaurant. I had to delete the reply and repost it with "greyhound" replaced by "racing dog" to get rid of the drat thing. Earlier, I mentioned Kia and Hyundai in a post, and got all sorts of weird links underneath it, for a car dealer as well as for some bizarre site whose name was a partial homonym of Kia, I think. I got rid of those bye replacing Kia with "K i a", and similarly for Hyundai.

I've only been able to tolerate FB because I use FB Purity, but this may be a bridge too far.

Are you aware that Facebook aided and abetted a genocide?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who hasn't?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Peristalsis posted:

Facebook will try and detect businesses in posts and link to their FB business pages and it sounds like it's either gone a little haywire or you're part of an A/B testing some new feature that isn't working quite right.

I would give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out. I don't think there's anything you can do.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FCKGW posted:

I don't think there's anything you can do.

:wrong:

How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, they sure have made it easier. I deleted mine probably a decade ago, but at the time, the only way was to copy a specific url that was only in the public record because a lawyer sued facebook to delete their personal information instead of just deactivating their account. Think I found it on some obscure tech news site.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obama did that like three times but people still listen to his podcast.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Obama did that like three times but people still listen to his podcast.

So it's actually ok and good to overlook? What's the point you're trying to make here?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This thread is approaching Linux Forums Level of unhelpfulness in not actually answering someone's specific question

Like it's literally "I don't even OWN a TV" but with Facebook accounts

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

FCKGW posted:

This thread is approaching Linux Forums Level of unhelpfulness in not actually answering someone's specific question

Like it's literally "I don't even OWN a TV" but with Facebook accounts

there's nothing to actually do in response to facebook AB testing somebody with weird advertising campaigns. Deleting your fb account is unironically the solution.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Methanar posted:

Deleting your fb account is unironically the solution.
No. It isn't. If someone tells you they cut their finger and wants to know if there's anything they can do to stop it hurting, "cut off your hand" is not a solution. Technically their finger would no longer hurt, but you know it's not the outcome they're actually looking for.

So "give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out", as FCKGW said, is apparently the correct answer. I'd also check for malware and try a different browser. But "delete Facebook" is not in any way a reasonable answer to the question.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

I use ProtonMail and ProtonVPN, and I trust them. A company specifically built around privacy, personal encrypted communication, and not letting other people see your data - to the point where their datacenters are under a mountain in Switzerland - is all right by me.

As for "foreign based", I sure as hell trust a Swiss company more than a US or Australian one!

As Swiss, when it comes to security, I’m forced to mention Crypto AG,
Also LOL Gotthard Massiv datacenter. You really believe that’s more secure?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

No. It isn't. If someone tells you they cut their finger and wants to know if there's anything they can do to stop it hurting, "cut off your hand" is not a solution. Technically their finger would no longer hurt, but you know it's not the outcome they're actually looking for.

So "give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out", as FCKGW said, is apparently the correct answer. I'd also check for malware and try a different browser. But "delete Facebook" is not in any way a reasonable answer to the question.

Yeah but that's a poo poo analogy

If someone has an unrecoverably necrotic finger and keeps using it and they keep leaving pus trails all over their keyboard, cutting it off is the right move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
btw I literally do not own a tv