Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jerm324 posted:

A flock of Cedar Waxwings hung around my workplace for about a week eating every single little berry off the bushes in the parking lot. They've since moved on but I took my camera to work one day and they put on a show for me.

Oh is that why their tongues have little "thorns" on the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Oh is that why their tongues have little "thorns" on the back!

Yeah they swallow the berries whole. I presume the "thorns" help with that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ring-billed Gulls by B. B., on Flickr

American Crow Feeding by B. B., on Flickr

Taking Off by B. B., on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Jerm324 posted:

A flock of Cedar Waxwings hung around my workplace for about a week eating every single little berry off the bushes in the parking lot. They've since moved on but I took my camera to work one day and they put on a show for me.

That looks super uncomfortable. I'm sure the bird knows what it's doing, but I'm still afraid it will choke. Anyway, great shots! Waxwings are cool.

What's it eating, and where did the raven get it?

It snowed here yesterday. I saw some Spotted Towhees, but didn't get any shots worth sharing. Here's a raven instead, looking majestic.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DorianGravy posted:

That looks super uncomfortable. I'm sure the bird knows what it's doing, but I'm still afraid it will choke. Anyway, great shots! Waxwings are cool.

What's it eating, and where did the raven get it?

It snowed here yesterday. I saw some Spotted Towhees, but didn't get any shots worth sharing. Here's a raven instead, looking majestic.

He's eating a cray fish claw. Pretty sure crow. Too small, different beak. But, I'm also extremely lovely at bird ID.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I have to ask actually, how do you know if you have G1 or G2 of the tamron? I think I have the G1 and recently it's started to do the thing I've seen online where it doesn't do any AF unless you pop it in and out of MF/AF a few times (on the lens). I've been meaning to find where to buy that kit to repair that if anyone here knows about it.

Just quoting myself with an update in case anyone else is in this position. Here in Canada anyways the Tamron warranty is 6 years with the original receipt, which was included when I bought my A011 150-600 G1 Tamron on amazon. I sent it off to the Canadian distributor for repair (covered under warranty) yesterday.

I talked to them about replacing it with a G2, using my g1 as a trade-in of sorts. They said they might have some demo stock to send me a g2. If they want me to pay the difference, how much would you all think the difference is worth assuming both lenses are in equal condition and have the same warranty period (almost over)?

It seems like the G2 is significantly sharper than the G1 at 600mm but it's obviously still not fantastic. Anyone have any thoughts there?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Just quoting myself with an update in case anyone else is in this position. Here in Canada anyways the Tamron warranty is 6 years with the original receipt, which was included when I bought my A011 150-600 G1 Tamron on amazon. I sent it off to the Canadian distributor for repair (covered under warranty) yesterday.

I talked to them about replacing it with a G2, using my g1 as a trade-in of sorts. They said they might have some demo stock to send me a g2. If they want me to pay the difference, how much would you all think the difference is worth assuming both lenses are in equal condition and have the same warranty period (almost over)?

It seems like the G2 is significantly sharper than the G1 at 600mm but it's obviously still not fantastic. Anyone have any thoughts there?

It’s really hard to put dollar values on quality like that. I mean, you can almost get 2 used G1s for the price of a G2 so is the G2 twice as good? Probably not. I sold my G1 and bought a G2 and don’t regret the decision. I don’t think there’s a ton of daylight between the various Tamron/Sigma 150-600’s.

For what it’s worth the first G2 copy was pretty unsharp out of box-probably I could have done micro adjustments and gotten it to play better but it was easier just to get another copy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I generally like my 55-200 fuji. It's sharp enough, it's not fast either on light or focus speed, but not terrible. But, this bugger was just loving with me, so I got to swap from the 55-200 to the 90 for some shots, and the magic dust is just there on the 90.

He was hunting on the ground (not eating, hopping around, pawing at the grass), and another photographer and I were watching and shooting. I was standing leaning against a sign. He flew up and landed on the sign. I wish the one with him giving me the funny look was sharper, but it is what it is. He flew off, directly over my head. That's an uncropped shot of him directly over me.

Hunting on the Ground by B. B., on Flickr

Bold Bugger by B. B., on Flickr

He Is Not Afraid of Me by B. B., on Flickr

Uncropped Close Flyby by B. B., on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Good stuff! I'm also impressed that you got such a nice framing on the uncropped picture (the bird is centered 2/3rd of the way to the right, with blue sky ahead).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DorianGravy posted:

Good stuff! I'm also impressed that you got such a nice framing on the uncropped picture (the bird is centered 2/3rd of the way to the right, with blue sky ahead).

Because I had no input. I didn't even have time to refocus, just at basically the same distance I was already shooting. Just leaned back and pulled the trigger.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Decided to get in the eagle game

Also, making GBS threads birds for n00bs

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 23, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

:911:

Amazing shots!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Managed to capture some beauty from the annoying loving geese that could hardly shut the gently caress up while I was waiting for the eagles

Hay doods!

Silly goose

Alternate crop

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 10, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

vessbot posted:

Decided to get in the eagle game.

Bald eagles are beautiful, but photos of them can blend together. The stick bird had a lot of personality that sets it apart. Really nice.

Edit: My 70-300 fuji is being processed and shipped this week. Cannot wait.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

vessbot posted:

Silly goose

lol, very goose.jpg

I kinda like the one with the landing geese as well but it's got some technical issues. You've got quite a bit of fringing/chromatic aberration going on, especially on the goose on the right (look along its neck and you'll see blue/red coloring along the edges), and it's a bit distracting. Should be easy to fix in your editing software though - there might be a lens profile option to help deal with it, even.

Birds:

Northern goshawk

First time I've managed to see one of these guys well enough to be able to identify it on my own, so I'm really happy I managed to get a few decent-ish photos of it :toot: I was shooting into the sun filtering through the trees though, so I had to muck around quite a bit with the dehazing tool in post.

Eurasian wren

These guys are usually really hard to photograph because they'll be sitting in the middle of some dense shrubbery and sing super loud, but this one just flew up and started showing off.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 24, 2021

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Quoting, because that is a beauty! Maybe not the best photo, but I am totally jealous.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

accipter posted:

Quoting, because that is a beauty! Maybe not the best photo, but I am totally jealous.

appropriate username/post combo :v:

Also, thanks! Agreed that the photo is eh at best (branches :argh:), but I was really happy I even got something with the bird in focus. I only got like five in-focus shots before it flew away and this was the least bad of the lot. I'm hopeful I might be able to meet this hawk again though, he and his mate seem to be nesting in a nature preserve quite close to my own home. I've been told goshawks have an almost mythical status in the UK, but they're not super rare here. Certainly not a bird you see often though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 25, 2021

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Well-lit and focused turkey

Hairy sunset turkey

Contemplative turkey

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
love that turkey

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Twenties Superstar posted:

love that turkey

No poo poo man get that turkey a forums account.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I confess, I am that Turkey

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Is it noticeable that: That there's a bardbwire fence that's out of focus? The owl was maybe 5 feet from the fence, I was shooting from the other side of the road/ditch.

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 5, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nice photos! I didn't see the wire until after I read your spoilered comment. It's a little noticeable in the second photo, but I doubt casual viewers will notice it in the other two. I think the first photo is the best. Good stuff.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

Nice photos! I didn't see the wire until after I read your spoilered comment. It's a little noticeable in the second photo, but I doubt casual viewers will notice it in the other two. I think the first photo is the best. Good stuff.

Same with me, although I see it a bit in the 3rd pic too. It's mainly a little darker and not so much a blurriness issue so maybe could be fixed with a little local lightening without too much problem if you want to tinker with it. Super jealous!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
FedEx finally delivered my Fuji 70-300 in only 6 days after I paid for 2 day shipping.

Sharp as hell at 70mm:

Competing by B. B., on Flickr

Acceptably sharp at 300mm:

Stellars Watching by B. B., on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I finally got out to see the Great-Horned Owl nest near me (Fresh Pond, Cambridge, MA) with my camera and decent lighting.

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I gotta say, thanks everyone for the compliments on my eagle shots. It's closing in on a year since I got my first tele zoom (Tamron 100-400) and while it seems to be far from the sharpest lens out there, I'm tickled at some of the shots I'm able to get, and it's fulfilling that the bird thread guys are liking them. I'm also blessed with a good spot and decent amount of free time.

I'm also absolutely welcoming of any tips or critique, so thanks TheFluff for pointing out the chromatic aberration on the goose neck. (also lol it took me a bit to figure out I also know you from the aviation threads). I used Flickr's "replace" feature to put up the replacement without spamming the thread with multiple versions. I only recently started shooting in raw and taking editing seriously, learning on Darktable.

Anyway so here's from my more recent outings

From handsome to heinous

Juvenile

Basic flight

Dramatic

Red winged blackbird formed up on a great blue heron passing through

Chance snapshot on some geese. Full frame. There's less of these now than before, since their area isn't hemmed in by the ice any more

Another landing shot. I was exposed in manual for the eagle's head in direct sunlight, and this guy's down in the dark so it's lifted (along with a horrendous amount of noise) by almost 3 stops in post. Also lacks the reflection and that dreamy quality of the other one, but it's at least sharp(er).

vessbot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cool stuff. I like these two in particular. Majestic!

If you're looking for input, you may want to try putting birds a little off-center when developing your photos (consider the rule of thirds). (Edit: to clarify, I'm not talking about the photos I quoted above; just making a general comment. I really like the composition of the second photo I quoted!) Also, decide what the most interesting element of each photo is. Sometimes you want to showcase details of the bird itself, in which case you should do a tighter crop. Other times the most interesting element is how the bird fits into its environment, in which case you may want to do a wider crop to show more branches, sky, lake, etc. Just look through photos you like from other people and figure out why you like them.

For non-composition thoughts, you may want to make the photos a little brighter in post. For example, look at the brightness and vibrancy of other photos on this page. I'm no expert, of course, and other people here may have other ideas. I think your photos are nice already!

I went out to a local spot today. Spring is in the air, so it's time to sing!

It's also time to fly!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
It is indeed very springy! Went and visited some grebes last week.

Western Grebe

Clark's Grebes courtship feeding

Clark's Grebes rushing

Such cool birds. I've been wanting to see this mating behavior for years and was finally able to make it down at the right time.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That's so cool! When is the "right time" to see the rushing? Just general early Spring, or is it something more specific? Do you think they're evaluating each other, or is it just a formal part of the courtship process?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DorianGravy posted:

That's so cool! When is the "right time" to see the rushing? Just general early Spring, or is it something more specific? Do you think they're evaluating each other, or is it just a formal part of the courtship process?

They're doing it right now. They usually start early to mid April and go for a couple of weeks. Western and Clark's Grebes mate for life* and do the courtship dance every year to reaffirm their bond, kind of like albatross. They were just getting started when I was down there last week, according to the local birders. This was in Klamath Falls, which is one of the best places for birding in Oregon, especially for waterfowl and raptors. These guys were easily visible and photographable from a park right off the road. Its one of the best places to see them do their thing. They have a really cool and complicated courtship ritual that includes synchronized preening, trading feathers and seagrass, feeding each other fish, standing up tall in the water, waving a foot out of the water like a flag, and of course running on top of the water together. It's really cool.

*probably. As far as we know, anyway

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It is indeed very springy! Went and visited some grebes last week.

Western Grebe

Clark's Grebes courtship feeding

Clark's Grebes rushing

Such cool birds. I've been wanting to see this mating behavior for years and was finally able to make it down at the right time.

Wonderful shots, such charismatic birds, we have the Great Crested Grebes doing the same right now, however lockdown means I can't get to them easily.

Took this a while back

Great Crested Grebe Courtship Dance by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Morning Robin by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
forums are quiffy so it double posted

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 15, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
This is getting silly

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Find the crow

Find the seagull

Find the bald eagle.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Barn Owl early morning hunt by Aves Lux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

You just keep pissing me off with your damned owl pics. So nice.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Same. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen an owl outside of a zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
If it makes you feel any better I got up at 5am to walk to the place to take that shot for dawn, there was a pair of them hunting together, but they were hunting into the rising sun so that's one of the only real good shots.

embeds too big will fix

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2021