Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
At least this time when we abandon our puppet government they won't be taking to boats with their refugee crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Is there some really rad Afghani cuisine I should be on the lookout for in 10-20 years?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Epiphyte posted:

Is there some really rad Afghani cuisine I should be on the lookout for in 10-20 years?

Afghan cuisine is awesome now. They make some amazing kebab, goat, and some loving awesome meat dumplings. It's delicious.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Afghan cuisine is awesome now. They make some amazing kebab, goat, and some loving awesome meat dumplings. It's delicious.
It was more a riff on the Vietnamese diaspora, Houston is fuckin amazing for banh mi and pho

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Epiphyte posted:

It was more a riff on the Vietnamese diaspora, Houston is fuckin amazing for banh mi and pho

The DMV has quite afew Afghan kebabs places from the Soviet-war era refugees. One of my friends from HS family owned one in Skyline Mall before it was torn down and replaced by a Target.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
gentlemen, we can not allow a grilled meat on a stick gap
we need to admit these refugees immediately

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
When you get a pardon that everyone knows is bullshit, and it doesn't cover everything you've ever done, the feds tend to not be happy about it. And they probably know you've done more crimes.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1383207457749569540?s=19

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

NoVA kebab is good but no replacement for Döner :(.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The DMV has quite afew Afghan kebabs places from the Soviet-war era refugees. One of my friends from HS family owned one in Skyline Mall before it was torn down and replaced by a Target.

Hamid Karzai's older brother owns The Helmand in Baltimore and the food's pretty great, sketchy owners aside.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Moby Dick's :colbert:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Lol this is Alf except with a guy the country screwed over

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Lol this is Alf except with a guy the country screwed over

Exactly

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Raul Castro resigns
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56780903

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Epiphyte posted:

So, before my first deployment to Afghanistan, I got selected to go to a class on learning Pashto that was taught by an Afghan lady. I remember her saying the "national dish" of Afghanistan is a mix of rice, goat, carrots and raisins. I don't remember what it was called. I assume it was served over some Naan or foot bread. I didn't mind Afghan food whenever I had it, it just went straight through me unfortunately.
There was a place in Wardak province (just outside Kabul) that was known for its apples. I don't remember them being anything that special though.
That's my story about Afghan food. :btroll:

edit: Bonus! Here is a food stand from somewhere around Orgun-E in Paktika province. Just missed it but the guy poked his head out anyway. From the top of a humvee.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 17, 2021

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

NoVA kebab is good but no replacement for Döner :(.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjY_UnNtQ4

I went to Germany in early 00s and have constantly been wanting that readily available Doner Kebab

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Afghan foot bread and goat is what I had most often in Marjah.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Iain posted:

So, before my first deployment to Afghanistan, I got selected to go to a class on learning Pashto that was taught by an Afghan lady. I remember her saying the "national dish" of Afghanistan is a mix of rice, goat, carrots and raisins. I don't remember what it was called.

Pulao. The Uzbeks call it Plov. All of those countries have some variation of pilaf, and it's pretty freaking tasty.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys are making me miss Iraqi food.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

In addition to hellish test anxiety, DLI also gave me the ability to impress Arab restaurant owners and get extra falafel on the regular

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

In addition to hellish test anxiety, DLI also gave me the ability to impress Arab restaurant owners and get extra falafel on the regular

I’ve also heard DLI gives you weird habits like sniffing your fingers after scratching your butt so I don’t know if the trade off is worth it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Iain posted:

So, before my first deployment to Afghanistan, I got selected to go to a class on learning Pashto that was taught by an Afghan lady. I remember her saying the "national dish" of Afghanistan is a mix of rice, goat, carrots and raisins. I don't remember what it was called. I assume it was served over some Naan or foot bread. I didn't mind Afghan food whenever I had it, it just went straight through me unfortunately.
There was a place in Wardak province (just outside Kabul) that was known for its apples. I don't remember them being anything that special though.
That's my story about Afghan food. :btroll:

edit: Bonus! Here is a food stand from somewhere around Orgun-E in Paktika province. Just missed it but the guy poked his head out anyway. From the top of a humvee.

This is called either Osh or Plov, or Osh pilov as in Tajikistan. It’s delicious and actually kinda easy to make.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Yeah but you have to wait in line for hours.

What's the dmv

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the dmv

District Maryland Virginia.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Iain posted:

this is really cool, is there a thread where you guys post pics like this?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

BIG HEADLINE posted:

District Maryland Virginia.

Not DelMarVa??

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

Not DelMarVa??

Nah, that's an alternate name for the Eastern Shore.

e: Oh, actually Delmarva is the actual name of the peninsula. (But stands for Delaware, Maryland, Virginia)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Nah, that's an alternate name for the Eastern Shore.

Yeah, I grew up down the shore so this is very strange news to me, I always thought that dmv was a further contraction of delmarva that people had expanded to mean the DC+Baltimore as well for some reason

DC Maryland Virginia well whaddya know

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

Not DelMarVa??

Yeah the DC urban sprawl is commonly referred to as the DMV. We don’t claim those weirdos out in Delaware.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean if they'd said NoVA i'd have just assumed also DC and maryland since I mean look at it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Yeah the DC urban sprawl is commonly referred to as the DMV. We don’t claim those weirdos out in Delaware.

bless this mess

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good work, you've got me craving breakfast at Bob & Edith's now. I live in San Diego.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good work, you've got me craving breakfast at Bob & Edith's now. I live in San Diego.

yeah Rudfords sucks don't believe the hype

When I was lived in the barracks in Coronado we used to go to this place called the Wave in IB on weekends, but that's really out of the way for most people. Honestly my favorite breakfast place in SD was the Mission, but it's not exactly a diner. I lived a few blocks from the one in North Park. The average quality of your breakfast burrito is gonna have to make up for the lack of diner fare and scrapple

ed:
Big Kitchen in Golden Hill

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

US Berder Patrol posted:

yeah Rudfords sucks don't believe the hype

When I was lived in the barracks in Coronado we used to go to this place called the Wave in IB on weekends, but that's really out of the way for most people. Honestly my favorite breakfast place in SD was the Mission, but it's not exactly a diner. I lived a few blocks from the one in North Park. The average quality of your breakfast burrito is gonna have to make up for the lack of diner fare and scrapple

ed:
Big Kitchen in Golden Hill

I actually like Rudfords but only for getting a chili size or a buffalo burger at midnight. Their breakfast ain't too good.

Perry's, Aunt Edna's Pancake House, and the Old Townhouse in OB are my breakfast choices. Or would be if there wasn't a plague going on.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Really digging this range rover pickup that's carting Prince Philips' dead rear end around the Windsor compound.

Seriously, it's a pretty good looking truck. They should introduce it to run against the jeep truck in the states. Standard cab, 8 foot bed, gently caress yes.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

The average quality of your breakfast burrito is gonna have to make up for the lack of diner fare and scrapple

Please hire me San Diego and pay me in your breakfast burritos

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Really digging this range rover pickup that's carting Prince Philips' dead rear end around the Windsor compound.

Seriously, it's a pretty good looking truck. They should introduce it to run against the jeep truck in the states. Standard cab, 8 foot bed, gently caress yes.

Missed the truck and am instead watching a festival of wankery with costumes that a Broadway costumer would feel are a bit much.

Edit: also was informed that they are not in their military uniforms because Andrew, the pedo friend of epstein still has his honors/rank, but "actually served in the forever wars" Harry lost his when he resigned as a senior royal. What the gently caress?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 17, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't keep up with the royals, it was an interesting look into the pomp and circumstance. The brits love them some dog and pony shows.

That truck:

Looks so much better than anything the big 3 put out today.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Looks like the 50-60s version of the Willys.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mmmmm, sexy flareside full length box bed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4SXpOFQ9T8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm going to spend the day looking at old Jeeps now thanks