Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't keep up with the royals, it was an interesting look into the pomp and circumstance. The brits love them some dog and pony shows.

That truck:

Looks so much better than anything the big 3 put out today.

Apparently it's a bespoke version that Phillip had customized to his own desires. Land Rover would be fools to not start producing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the big question is, is it better than a hilux? could you turn it into a technical?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Brute Squad posted:

the big question is, is it better than a hilux? could you turn it into a technical?

You can turn anything into a technical if you believe in yourself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

the yellow dart posted:

You can turn anything into a technical if you believe in yourself.

This

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

This is pretty far from a current event but definitely checks the technical-chat box:

https://youtu.be/qYodJ69iXnc

A decent video covering SAS operations in North Africa during WW2, especially the part where they combined their motor pool with every spare machine gun and then did donuts on German airfields.

That channel has other good content too if you want a play by play of the entire air war over Iraq or the insane buddy tanking plan to get a bomber to the Falklands and back.

Anyway just wanted to share something cool while we wait for whatever miserable bullshit is next!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm absolutely certain the Royals have a technical of some sort somewhere on their property.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm absolutely certain the Royals have a technical of some sort somewhere on their property.

I wonder if any of them has tried to make a technical out of a horse

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Just switch out the short bow for a DShK and you're good to go.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

Probably?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I read this whole article and the brain damage caused by random friends and facebook is just amazing.

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1383526379392667658

quote:

When Jellesed arrived, he complained that the scheduler had unfairly pressured him by warning that his VA benefits, now the only source of income for his family of six, would be cut off if he turned down the shot.

He feared the vaccine was meant to harm people, to eventually cause cancer in those who got it.

“My wife’s totally against it,” he said. He explained that his reluctance came from “all the things I’ve read on Facebook.”
---
The veterans’ “no” reactions rest on several theories, she explained. The vaccine injects a microchip that will let the government track their movements. It can’t be safe, because it was developed too fast. They’ve quarantined for this long, so they don’t need it. Former president Donald Trump says they don’t need to get it, so they’re not getting it. None of these claims are true, but that doesn’t matter.
---
A Vietnam veteran named Knut Lyssand, 69, arrived in cowboy boots and a T-shirt that read: “The answer is beer.” He had been ready to cancel after talking to fellow veterans, but when he couldn’t sleep at 4 a.m., he turned on the television to Newsmax and heard a doctor say it was okay to get vaccinated.
---
Kenny Rayome Jr., an operator at the local water plant, and his wife, Megan, a lawyer in town, were relaxing over beers at the bar. They got mild cases of covid-19 last year, and Kenny’s uncle died of it. Megan suffers from lupus, an autoimmune illness. Still, they have no plans to get vaccinated.

“I’m just not afraid of it, I guess,” said Kenny, 40, whose family goes back six generations in Libby. During six years as a Navy submariner, he explained, “they told me what to do. Don’t tell me what to do now.”

It was the same sentiment around the bar. “I got plenty of little bugs overseas,” said Rob Hughes, 51, a retired Marine who owns a gun shop in town. “I’ve been shot at for a living. It’s not gonna hurt my feelings if a bug kills me.”
---
The bus will head back to Libby for second doses April 27. Jellesed’s already on the list. After his first dose, he told family and friends the shot didn’t hurt — and had no side effects. But he is adamant that even after the second one, his vaccination will be just .01 percent more protection against the virus than if he hadn’t gotten it. “I’m just not seeing any benefit,” he said, explaining that he had read the statistic somewhere.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe we can Balkanize and divide the country by anti vax and pro vax.

Given the people who are generally anti vax, we would never have to worry about them illegally crossing the border into the vaccinated lands.

yes we would

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

Given the people who are generally anti vax, we would never have to worry about them illegally crossing the border into the vaccinated lands.

yes we would

I missed a quote:

quote:

An Air Force veteran in a camouflage jacket named Mike Aja walked up with his 4-year-old son, Shane. He was a “no,” too. He said he had heard that the average death rate had dropped last year, proof that the government was making too big a deal out of the virus. (Deaths actually are up markedly.) He said there was no way President Biden was serious about the pandemic because he was letting thousands of undocumented immigrants flow across the border.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1383528362946162689

The CPSC posted a video of a kid attempting to appease the hungry treadmill with a ball and the treadmill was not impressed (slightly :nms:, no blood or w/e): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onXNnlCYJ4Y

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe we can Balkanize and divide the country by anti vax and pro vax.

yes we would

My union is already collecting info from vaccinated officers. The expectation is that requiring proof of vaccination for jobs is imminent. I dont see why that will not push out everywhere within 2 years at most.

Got my 2nd shot Thursday. Friday it felt like I was hit by a truck but I'm pretty much 100% today. Thank God thats over. I hope.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RFC2324 posted:

Glorious :ussr: has you covered, tovarish.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

“I’m just not afraid of it, I guess,” said Kenny, 40, whose family goes back six generations in Libby.

Six is enough

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

"On the dirt parking lot that afternoon, a veteran wheeled a battered bike toward the bus to get a closer view. He was homeless, 61 and at risk for the virus. He didn’t see the point of the vaccine, he said, mostly because “they could track you by this injection.”

lol, this country is so loving broken

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Want to say a cart-mounted "dragons breath" 1800s hand crank minigun was a big part of the Magnificent Seven remake.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have you all beat - the earliest technicals besides chariots:

https://youtu.be/yGUEqszHRwI

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Want to say a cart-mounted "dragons breath" 1800s hand crank minigun was a big part of the Magnificent Seven remake.

A gatling gun in a covered wagon turns up in Fistful of Dollars too.

That's a trilogy I need to watch again. Guess I'll dig out my DVD collection from the garage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MonkeyWash posted:

"On the dirt parking lot that afternoon, a veteran wheeled a battered bike toward the bus to get a closer view. He was homeless, 61 and at risk for the virus. He didn’t see the point of the vaccine, he said, mostly because “they could track you by this injection.”

lol, this country is so loving broken

Yeah we're fuuuuuuucked

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I seriously regret that I ever took the military serious. I could have hosed off and been a shitbag, got out without a broken loving body- and wouldn't feel like my country just took a poo poo on me.

I sacrificed a lot for the American ideals as written- all that poo poo. And my fellow citizens excuse and congratulate vigilante police, cheer as press is attacked, and celebrate treason and the murder of their fellow citizens.

Why the gently caress did I sacrifice my loving body and mind for these cocksuckers? I hate going out now. I never liked it completely, but I didn't feel this simmering feeling of disdain for the people around me.

The problem with America is we have too many loving Americans.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

bulletsponge13 posted:

The problem with America is we have too many loving Americans.

Good news! A lot of the shittier ones seem to be self selecting themselves for early graves.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Bad Poster posted:

Good news! A lot of the shittier ones seem to be self selecting themselves for early graves.

Bad news! They are doing their best to take the rest of us with them.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

RFC2324 posted:

Bad news! They are doing their best to take the rest of us with them.

Good news! We as a society can collectively grow the gently caress up and stop taking their opinions seriously, and force our will upon them, because that's what they're trying to do to us!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

Good news! We as a society can collectively grow the gently caress up and stop taking their opinions seriously, and force our will upon them, because that's what they're trying to do to us!

We need an actual opposition party to do this.

I don't like to doompost much but if we don't ram through a comprehensive federal voter rights bill before dems lose the house and/ or senate next then it's game over imo. Might be 2 yrs might be 10 but without protection from the current strategy to cement apartheid rule by the GOP...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Works posted:

We need an actual opposition party to do this.

I don't like to doompost much but if we don't ram through a comprehensive federal voter rights bill before dems lose the house and/ or senate next then it's game over imo. Might be 2 yrs might be 10 but without protection from the current strategy to cement apartheid rule by the GOP...

pretty much this. the shittier ones currently hold most of the power in our society, its gonna take some real hard work from people who have never demonstrated that kind of will in the past

to not be completely doomposting about it, there are some signs that they have developed the will now, but its pretty shaky at best

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/548443-pelosi-says-she-wont-bring-bill-to-expand-supreme-court-to-the-floor

on the scale of sarcastic clapping to ripping up a speech how boss is this? i'm sure that commission on whether it's a good idea or not will do great things. we definitely don't have a fuckton of evidence here and now that hey, the GOP is enacting insane fascist policy, why would we try and stop it via court packing? in nancy's defense she has been pretty busy lately what with doing insider trading on the microsoft/army deal a couple weeks back

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

The real motherfucker is that it's not really about the voting rights, as the mail-in and voting restrictions hurt both sides (probably republicans more on mail-ins!) and education can get around some of the oppressive bullshit. It's the redistricting. It's going to be real, real bad and we don't know how many House districts will flip Republican just because of the better data that Republicans in state houses will have access to.

maffew buildings posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/548443-pelosi-says-she-wont-bring-bill-to-expand-supreme-court-to-the-floor

on the scale of sarcastic clapping to ripping up a speech how boss is this? i'm sure that commission on whether it's a good idea or not will do great things. we definitely don't have a fuckton of evidence here and now that hey, the GOP is enacting insane fascist policy, why would we try and stop it via court packing? in nancy's defense she has been pretty busy lately what with doing insider trading on the microsoft/army deal a couple weeks back

It's a messaging bill to begin with. There's no majority in the House for it and there's no majority in the Senate for it either. Pelosi probably shouldn't put it on the floor for it to just die a horrible death. At best, it's only usefulness is to be "there" as a "warning" to the Supreme Court if they kill off Roe or something.

Don't get me wrong, Democrats should've done it weeks/months ago. But it's not a Pelosi thing. poo poo shouldn't go on the floor unless it's going to pass, as Republicans found out with McCain's thumb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, who had 'brony' as part of the FedEx shooter's profile?

https://twitter.com/Zidan_Lianciel/status/1383495925599854596?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish I could say I'm surprised

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I still think that packing the courts is a pandora's box that we won't be able to close if the republicans ever get control of government again. Impeaching the shitheads and replacing them would be a better solution. Fortunately the dems will never do either option so we will never know which is better! :smithicide:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

I still think that packing the courts is a pandora's box that we won't be able to close if the republicans ever get control of government again.

You're saying this as if the republicans haven't already been doing it for some time. Apparently something like 100 something federal judges ended up being handed to Trump due to the senate not bothering with a lot of obama's nominees. The Republicans also showed that if a Supreme Court seat becomes vacant under a Democrat president, with Republicans in the senate, they'll hold it vacant until the next R president.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

quote:

I hope that I can be with applejack in the afterlife, my life has no meaning without her
:horse: :rip:

Edit: That's RIP to the victims, obvs

If you have someone in your life who owns or has access to guns and is exhibiting red flags, please talk with them or their caregivers.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 18, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Man, I have not thought about those weirdos in years. I had no idea it was still a thing at all.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Defenestrategy posted:

You're saying this as if the republicans haven't already been doing it for some time. Apparently something like 100 something federal judges ended up being handed to Trump due to the senate not bothering with a lot of obama's nominees. The Republicans also showed that if a Supreme Court seat becomes vacant under a Democrat president, with Republicans in the senate, they'll hold it vacant until the next R president.

Yeah, republicans have made it clear that they'll do whatever the hell they want if given the opportunity, so gently caress 'em. Add 15 seats to the court. Put Greta Thunberg on there. Put Obama on there; Barack if there are no other options, but ideally Sasha or Malia. Appoint a lesbian black/latina communist just to see how many aneurisms they can cause for the Fox News staff. As far as I'm concerned it's been game on since Merrick Garland got stonewalled.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stultus Maximus posted:

Man, I have not thought about those weirdos in years. I had no idea it was still a thing at all.

Oh sweet summer child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVOF2PiHnc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This video, by the way, is up for a Hugo award this year.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm a moron and conflated packing the courts with adding seats to the court. I'm totally fine with packing the courts full of lefties, I just don't like the idea of adding seats to do it, as opposed to impeaching all the lovely judges. It feels like adding seats reduces the legitimacy of the courts, whereas impeachment should, in theory, increase it when removing judges that should never have been appointed. How long that would hold when republicans start abusing it, who knows, but they'll abuse anything, so there's little point worrying about that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

It feels like adding seats reduces the legitimacy of the courts, whereas impeachment should, in theory, increase it when removing judges that should never have been appointed

I mean, you could also make the claim that impeaching judges who've done nothing more than interpret the law in a lovely regressive manner and where appointed in a legal, albeit lovely, fashion is just as "political" as increasing the amount of seats on the bench.

At a certain point something will give, and I'd rather the democrats bang the door shut on the republicans ability to write lovely laws than the reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ZombieApostate posted:

I still think that packing the courts is a pandora's box that we won't be able to close if the republicans ever get control of government again. Impeaching the shitheads and replacing them would be a better solution. Fortunately the dems will never do either option so we will never know which is better! :smithicide:

The GOP would have zero hesitation in packing the court. It’s just that they have the place locked up for the next twenty years as‐is.