Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The actual text of the article said it probably wouldn’t happen and at best China would send peacekeepers to neighboring countries (I would assume Tajikistan specifically ).

They got ya.

I've been wishing for months that Tajikistan be considered in relation to the conversations around Xinjiang, and now my monkey's paw wish may come true.

I can't wait to hear about Chinese colonialism in Tajikistan from ASPI papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Speaking of Tajikstan, whats the status of that enormous Aluminum hell-factory these days? Could probably use some sprucing up from BNR investment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I will learn the truth soon

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
no one in the English speaking world actually understands what peacekeeping is

do they think it’s like an invasion but more polite

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

no one in the English speaking world actually understands what peacekeeping is

do they think it’s like an invasion but more polite

Didn't they make it up? And yes, that's basically it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

I will learn the truth soon

I'm sure the China Organ Harvesting Research Center will be unbiased in their findings.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I'm sure the China Organ Harvesting Research Center will be unbiased in their findings.

Put a cohrc in it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

They're advocates of ETHICAL Chinese Organ Harvesting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

Put a cohrc in it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/MrHootington/status/1383459788445544464?s=19

I'm extremely pleased to listen to the Falun gong today. :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Falun Gong Show

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Falun Gong Show

Yeah it rules. I asked how I could buy a scarf but the lady wouldn't tell me.

Edit; my family thinks I am crazy for how excited I got upon seeing the Falun gong.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Apr 17, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Was it falun gong that started the whole "China is harvesting organs" thing?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Yes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any good docs/essays on falun gong? I find the whole mess very fascinating.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

This is why we should support the (soon to be ) Turkish backed Alternative Taliban.

the Moderate Emirate

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just don't believe Biden will leave Afghan, despite what he said he is going to do. I think they will rename some US soldiers/bases military adviser and contractors.

See the things is Afghanistan is already lost, but they can't admit to it. It will create a giant Vietnam War II situation and have long lasting PR damages. So Biden will hold it down for as long as US can and pass the potato to the next president.

Maybe they will come up with some innovating ideas, such as give Taliban a giant plane load of US dollars and ask they change their name externally.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They literally could have let Trump leave and blamed everything on him but the pentagon straight up lied to him instead

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the reason we arent leaving is May is because "they havent held up their part of the agreement" so the WH can pretty much just keep saying that forever

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't forget that at one point, over a decade ago, the taliban were willing to conduct peace talks with the afghan government but we told them not to negotiate since we were winning and would end the taliban soon

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Joe Biden is the only american president catholic enough to pull out of Afghanistan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

yea the old anti-china bigotry is 'China steals Falun Gong organs' but the Falun Gong folks got a bit too big for the con and started just outright saying insane poo poo like 'our leader can fly and China fears us for our mystical powers' so that collapsed most sympathy for them outside of a lazy 'well sure they're an insane cult that considers being told to stop calling for the overthrow of the government a hate crime but communists bad' thing.

Falun Gong loving rules, easily one of my favorite cults.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1383472828742127623?s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

yea the old anti-china bigotry is 'China steals Falun Gong organs' but the Falun Gong folks got a bit too big for the con and started just outright saying insane poo poo like 'our leader can fly and China fears us for our mystical powers' so that collapsed most sympathy for them outside of a lazy 'well sure they're an insane cult that considers being told to stop calling for the overthrow of the government a hate crime but communists bad' thing.

Falun Gong loving rules, easily one of my favorite cults.

Yeah their con is superior to the Scientology con. They also act like their founder has not been dead and rotting for years.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the 100% chance the Russians and Chinese start dumping advanced weapons into Afghanistan is why America is planning on leaving.

Imagine the taliban with an decent equipment. The only reason america was able to invade Iraq and Afghanistan was the lack of any competing great powers at the time, the fact that America pissed both the Russians and Chinese off at the same time

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol the taliban actually surrendered in november of 2001 but the US was too dumb and bloodthirsty to have a negotiated peace with them

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PawParole posted:

the 100% chance the Russians and Chinese start dumping advanced weapons into Afghanistan is why America is planning on leaving.

Imagine the taliban with an decent equipment. The only reason america was able to invade Iraq and Afghanistan was the lack of any competing great powers at the time, the fact that America pissed both the Russians and Chinese off at the same time

just gonna recycle something I heard a long time ago

the us made afghanistan our new vietnam, cuz poo poo it's classical

it was already russia's vietnam but w/e

then it was like, china owns the mineral rights there and stabilizing it was in everyone's interest at the time

again, a while back but it was understood

opium is a whole different thing but really downplayed as a cassus belly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
there is a good joke about a land war in asia but again, kind of tired at this point

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PawParole posted:

I'm pretty sure the Russians can imagine the Taliban with decent weaponry and then the same weaponry appearing in their own border provinces while the Taliban are suddenly flush with cash.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just don't believe Biden will leave Afghan, despite what he said he is going to do. I think they will rename some US soldiers/bases military adviser and contractors.

See the things is Afghanistan is already lost, but they can't admit to it. It will create a giant Vietnam War II situation and have long lasting PR damages. So Biden will hold it down for as long as US can and pass the potato to the next president.

Maybe they will come up with some innovating ideas, such as give Taliban a giant plane load of US dollars and ask they change their name externally.

Only the DC "Blob" cares. The War in Afghanistan has been out of sight and out of mind to the average American for a decade.

Russia to expel 10 US diplomats in response to US sanctions

Russia is expelling 10 US diplomats and other responses may follow after the US expelled 10 Russian diplomats, added thirty companies and individuals to a blacklist, and barred US banks from participating in the primary market of ruble-denominated Russian sovereign bonds. US investors can still trade via the secondary market and currently hold 1/8 of Russia's sovereign debt.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

KaptainKrunk posted:

lol the taliban actually surrendered in november of 2001 but the US was too dumb and bloodthirsty to have a negotiated peace with them

it was worse than that. they disbanded and the leaders basically said “well what can you do, maybe the Americans won’t suck” and then we set up a kafkaesque situation where we had forces who were supposed to go bring former taliban affiliated local groups back into the fold while at the same time setting up a paranoid Stalinist security state where turning in cryptotalibs was a loving currency. so the village elder we hired to negotiate with the local militia would be murdered in a spectacular public fashion for being taliban, and have all his wives/daughters dragged out and beaten in their underwear. it’s amazing how much leeway the Americans were given by the locals and still managed to utterly gently caress up everything.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why would China and Russia want to arm the Taliban, especially when China has a problem with Islamic extremism in Xinjiang? seems like a stupid idea

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

Only the DC "Blob" cares. The War in Afghanistan has been out of sight and out of mind to the average American for a decade.

Somebody seem to care. I have noticed the phrase "endless war" has entered public conscious in the last couple years.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Somebody seem to care. I have noticed the phrase "endless war" has entered public conscious in the last couple years.

You said withdrawal would be a PR disaster and a Vietnam War 2. Which I strongly disagree with. There's going to be no huge blowback from the American public for finally pulling the plug and bringing the boys home like there was for Vietnam. The public does not care. It is to fatigued by the twenty years of failure too.

The media and public consciousness were focused on Vietnam until the helicopters were taking off ahead of Saigon's fall. This has not been true for a decade for Afghanistan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

why would China and Russia want to arm the Taliban, especially when China has a problem with Islamic extremism in Xinjiang? seems like a stupid idea

all of our 'enemies' are working together against us 24/7 all the time forever, duh. Venezuela is going to give the Taliban guns from Russia.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

You said withdrawal would be a PR disaster and a Vietnam War 2. Which I strongly disagree with. There's going to be no huge blowback from the American public for finally pulling the plug and bringing the boys home like there was for Vietnam. The public does not care. It is to fatigued by the twenty years of failure too.

I said that assuming Taliban will run the table as soon as the US soldiers leave, and go back to Kabul. They will become the only legitimate government, and kick Northern Alliance back to their corner.

US has already spent insane amount of money in Afghanistan. The only way It's not seem as a failure is the current Afghan government can stay. If Taliban taking it back like it was pre 911 and women going back to covering their faces, it's officially a money sink failure.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I said that assuming Taliban will run the table as soon as the US soldiers leave, and go back to Kabul. They will become the only legitimate government, and kick Northern Alliance back to their corner.

US has already spent insane amount of money in Afghanistan. The only way It's not seem as a failure is the current Afghan government can stay. If Taliban taking it back like it was pre 911 and women going back to covering their faces, it's officially a money sink failure.

I don't disagree with that. I just think Americans are not going to care.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

The american people have already internalized that the afghan war was a failure, there hasn't been any raw raw jingoistic rhetoric in this front for almost a decade.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
sound / treble warning on this. but CPC 100th anniversary flash mob update: don't gently caress with student airline pilots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHTFm_9hhg&t=368s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i love those little surprises. that was at an aviation and aeronautics college. i think pretty much every university-level party committee has been assigned with creating little promotional videos like that, so it's just this bewildering amount of different stuff and it's fun to watch how they differ. some are better than others.

one that i liked were students performing "without the communist party, there would be no new china" from the guizhou university of traditional chinese medicine. they get down to the basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDY9ef7Nd0

the hunan vocational college of art went all out though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek-MWiIhlHU