Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I've been wanting to try out a sitar or a shamisen, but they're not exactly plentiful here in Arizona. I did find this Danelectro sitar from Sweetwater, and I also found this guy selling shamisens out of California. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any advice about where I I should be looking?

Just be aware that that Dano, despite its name, is less a sitar than a standard guitar with a weird bridge and some sympathetic strings (that apparently aren't all that sympathetic.) I've never played one, but it never gets close to an authentic sitar sound, to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJb1lpXnp0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I've been wanting to try out a sitar or a shamisen, but they're not exactly plentiful here in Arizona. I did find this Danelectro sitar from Sweetwater, and I also found this guy selling shamisens out of California. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any advice about where I I should be looking?

No idea where to look, I don't think Thomann ships to the colonies unfortunately. If they do, they have all the stuff though.

Of the two linked, they are pretty different depending on what you actually want. If you play guitar and want hassle free Indian sounds, or just weird sounds with effects, the sitar, which, as mentioned, is more of a guitar is probably right. But if you want to try out an essentially alien instrument with weird tunings and new techniques, it's not. For instance, I think a proper sitar is "scalloped", or more accurately doesn't have what we think of as a fretboard.

Edit: gently caress, now i want a sitar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thomann certainly ships to Canada, at least. That's where I ordered my MPC One. Import duties tho :[

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

BonHair posted:

For instance, I think a proper sitar is "scalloped", or more accurately doesn't have what we think of as a fretboard.
Sitar frets are a big hollow arch with the sympathetic strings running through the middle. The idea is that you can do microtonal bends by varying your finger pressure. I have to imagine the learning curve is pretty steep.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.eyb-guitars.de/Eyb-English/sitarbridge.html

Conversion bridge to make your guitar sound like a sitar.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:popeye:

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

BonHair posted:

Edit: gently caress, now i want a sitar.

Thank you for the Thomann link, I'll do some more digging and see if it's something I can make work! I'd love to have an actual sitar someday, those things look and sound absolutely beautiful and I'm always looking to learn new instruments

This looks pretty cool too, and it doesn't seem too hard to install and start fiddling with. Much obliged!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm gonna be honest, I just spent like ten-fifteen minutes looking at the site for that EYB sitar bridge and I can't make heads or tails of how it works. I looked at the video - it just seems to be a bridge you mount pretty high so the strings are way the gently caress up from the frets? there's no sympathetic strings at all? "The sitar sound is produced mechanically by the strings on the bridge." what am I even looking at?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Gotoh makes a version called the buzz bridge.
It's basically causing the strings to buzz against the bridge like fret buzz but at the bridge and on purpose.
There's ways to DIY one
http://aaronlumguitar.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-diy-sitarcaster-revisited.html?m=1

I also saw this while looking for that
https://www.italiaguitarsusa.com/product/modena-sitar/
:getin:

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Needed a new bass, bought bass. Bass good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Spectral Elvis posted:

Sexy bass.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That's a real cool bass.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spectral Elvis posted:

That’s badass. Love the bound neck

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hexwren posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I just spent like ten-fifteen minutes looking at the site for that EYB sitar bridge and I can't make heads or tails of how it works. I looked at the video - it just seems to be a bridge you mount pretty high so the strings are way the gently caress up from the frets? there's no sympathetic strings at all? "The sitar sound is produced mechanically by the strings on the bridge." what am I even looking at?

Sitar sound has two main components compared to a guitar: one is the sympathetic strings as you mentioned, but the other is the aforementioned buzz bridge, which in my opinion is the more characteristic sound. I think it's a flat surface touching the vibrating strings, giving it a different sound than regular fret buzz.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

For the longest time I didn't get the appeal of Danelectros, but one of my friends is a devotee, so I finally decided to get one of my own:

And yes, it's a 12-string:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

sexy af

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow! The magic seems to be the middle pickup position with all the pickups on.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, they had one with a humbucker and P90 as well, but I figured I’d try the true Dano experience with the lipsticks. So far so good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

For a long time those Danos were basically the only game in town for Ric 12-string tones under $500, hell, even under $1000

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Impulse purchase because look at it

Zuwei "Rosewood" Tele. Basswood body with "rosewood" veneers front and back. Neck is stained maple with a "rosewood" fretboard that looks like it's dyed mystery wood.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Alright so the guitars arrived today. :dance:

The satin black was in a plastic bag and then in a large box with spray foam mostly all around. The bottom layer of foam was sprayed and the guitar was set down, face down, on that layer with the bridge and the belly of the guitar touching the outer layer of cardboard. The rest of the foam piled up and protected the back of the guitar just fine. In the end, no damage was done, luckily. The guitar arrived without a flaw.

The gloss/gold arrived in its factory wrap and factory box, seemingly unopened. Flawless as well. Straight neck, no fret problems no finish problems.

Don’t sleep on Amazon Warehouse (Used). These are LTD EC-256 guitars for $27x. and $28x. that normally retail for $499 and they are indistinguishable from new, as far as I can tell.

I will take more detailed pictures tomorrow, if anyone cares, and I can run DI tests against Thornbuckers in a Les Paul Studio if anyone wants to hear that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

duodenum posted:

I will take more detailed pictures tomorrow, if anyone cares, and I can run DI tests against Thornbuckers in a Les Paul Studio if anyone wants to hear that.

Please do

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All-rosewood is the most audacious, grooviest mood wood. Tonewood is over. It's about mood.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like a Sandalwood fingerboard for tone smell.

edit: if I hadn't already splashed out for a Firefly recently I would so interested in these ESPs.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 15, 2021

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I haven’t attempted to record anything yet, still experimenting with GarageBand and the Pod Go. I took them outside to get a proper look at them.

In the light of day, I did notice a couple flaws. On the gloss black we have discolored binding and what looks like it may have fallen face forward, jamming the string into the frets and the fretboard as you can see. I imagine the binding will even out as the guitar ages, and I’ll take a gentle file and polish to the small bit of damage otherwise.

The satin black has a rough spot on the bottom of the neck, might be a missed spot in the final polishing or sanding process. It’s mostly on the plastic black binding there so I should be able to buff that out. Otherwise excellent.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nudie magazine day

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

muike posted:

nudie magazine day

:gizz:

This is my new dream guitar. Who makes it? How much? And where can I get one?

Also, congrats on your excellent taste!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
LTD SCT-607b. Kinda hard to find for a good price right now, especially if you want one of the older black ones. Expect to pay around 1k to 1.2. They're backordered right now but I got mine used. Also, thank you!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
God I love metal Teles. Such a strangely unexplored design space IMO.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Guitars with through-body tails got me like:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

muike posted:

LTD SCT-607b. Kinda hard to find for a good price right now, especially if you want one of the older black ones. Expect to pay around 1k to 1.2. They're backordered right now but I got mine used. Also, thank you!

Sweet, thanks. Gotta get the bass boat sparkle green!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

muike posted:

nudie magazine day

That colour yo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Remember how the glitter companies wouldn't say where the glitter was going? Well,

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

God I love metal Teles. Such a strangely unexplored design space IMO.

The FMT and John 5 signature models are alluring. But then I just buy another LP knock off.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I was eyeballing the Joe Duplantier Charvel this guy came along (it's twice the price :negative:)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Charvel > all, though. I would forsake everything I believe in for Charvel.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I was just reminded of what popped up in the free section of craigslist last week.

On the same street as me and I saw it within 15 minutes of it being listed. Didn't get it, though. :)

Probably should've gotten it. :( I'm so dumb.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm very happy with my Player HH Tele, especially for the price I paid, but Charvel Pro-Mods and Schecter PTs are really sexy guitars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Charvel > all, though. I would forsake everything I believe in for Charvel.

Listen to the Bhabhi kids.