Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

But what about back in the NES era? Back when Castlevania was brand new, there were plenty of Castlevania clones back then.
There's a world of difference between then and now. For one, we literally didn't have the same forums for discussion 30 years ago--what conversation there was, was largely influenced (for better or worse) by print media at the time. For another, the market is way, way more saturated now than it was at the height of the NES. Back then, there was enough hunger for the next good game that it didn't really matter if it was a clone as long as it was good.

Zaphod42 posted:

Even if it did start as a Hollow Knight mod (pretty sure it didn't) is that a bad thing? Whatever gets you to the final product, right?
Personally I think it's distasteful to use ripped game assets (without permission), even as a placeholder, when promoting your game as a new product. I'm not implying Crowsworn actually did that.

Zaphod42 posted:

Game developers will use all kinds of temporary assets during production that you don't know about. I don't think that means anything.
Sure, they can do whatever they can get away with if nobody knows or can tell the difference.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can agree with the feeling of Team Cherry being small so wanting to protect them, but they're clearly doing fantastically well financially and don't really need gamers to be their guard dogs.
Yeah. I think there's just a general sense that when someone comes into a genre with a fresh take and it becomes hugely successful, that they get some ownership on that take at least for a little while--either until they deliver a dud, or decide they're done with it. Meanwhile, others that come in with an inspired game may get labeled as a clone unless they can sufficiently distance themselves. And honestly maybe being a clone is fine too, you just shouldn't be surprised by the label even if it's somewhat unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do I get past the bonepit at the end of the coal reef? I just got the ability to make temporary platforms and not sure where else to go as I'm pretty sure I poked around everywhere else.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do I get past the bonepit at the end of the coal reef? I just got the ability to make temporary platforms and not sure where else to go as I'm pretty sure I poked around everywhere else.

:gitgudhorn:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah. I think there's just a general sense that when someone comes into a genre with a fresh take and it becomes hugely successful, that they get some ownership on that take at least for a little while--either until they deliver a dud, or decide they're done with it. Meanwhile, others that come in with an inspired game may get labeled as a clone unless they can sufficiently distance themselves. And honestly maybe being a clone is fine too, you just shouldn't be surprised by the label even if it's somewhat unfair.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of getting "ownership" over a genre.

Otherwise though I agree, and I think we're on the same page. "Its fine don't call it a clone" and "Its a clone but that's not a bad thing" are pretty much the same take, barring semantics.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Think back to what the mantis guy said before his wife bit his head off, it'll come to you

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of getting "ownership" over a genre.
Not of the entire genre, but ownership of their take on it.

90s FPSes generally being referred to as "DOOM clones" is fairly analogous, and similarly titles started being held in their own regard once they pushed the FPS genre beyond what DOOM itself did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not of the entire genre, but ownership of their take on it.

90s FPSes generally being referred to as "DOOM clones" is fairly analogous, and similarly titles started being held in their own regard once they pushed the FPS genre beyond what DOOM itself did.

I don't think the name "doom clone" becoming "FPS" had to do with games becoming more original, but just on the industry settling on a better vernacular. They're independent.

There's still FPS being made today that don't push the FPS genre beyond what doom did, but we still call them FPS now and we make no distinction. Its not like some games are still "doom clones" but the original ones get called "FPS".

Most games involve minor iteration more than a massive evolution of a genre model. Like, by far the vast majority of them.

Does Halo have "ownership" over having a grenade button? Not really. After Halo every FPS adopted that. Does that make them all Halo clones? Ehhh not really.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
There's room for a ton of metroidvanias out there. It's just that aesthetically this game looks like its not only the same genre as Hollow Knight, but has an incredibly similar art style and even the title is somewhat similar to Silksong in terms of structure and number of syllables. If someone edited the trailer to start with "From the team that brought you Hollow Knight" and showed me that trailer I'd believe it, and I think most other people would too.

Personally, I don't care, but I would definitely say that they were heavily inspired by Hollow Knight and are trying to essentially treat Hollow Knight like the genre and make another game in that style. As long as its good, more power to them.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
It's not a clone, it's literally Hollow Knight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mechanical influence aside, the art of the environments and backgrounds looks literally lifted straight from Hollow Knight, like the lamps and the spikes and buildings etc.

I don't have a problem with something that seems so heavily influenced, because if it's good, it's just another story set in this kind of universe.

It's unreasonable to expect people to just politely sit on their hands and only play one spooky-cute action platformer every 5 years when Team Cherry makes one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alot of the line-thickness, the smooth curves of the design, are also HKish. Some of the platforming, the animation, and especially the nail-hopping, is very HKish. But the combat doesn't look like HK combat, which has more emphasis on spacing rather than chosing the right move and combo at the right time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Read a bunch of posts. Know what I want now?

A Hollow Knight inspired Mega Man style game. Sweet power ups from bosses, awesome movement, spikes everywhere.

And now I’m sad because I’m pretty sure it will never happen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

A Hollow Knight inspired Mega Man style game. Sweet power ups from bosses, awesome movement, spikes everywhere.

...so you want grey megaman with bugs?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya but with white palace type play forming. Make me really hate myself.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there are a ton of mega man rom hacks that will serve your needs

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You should try out the hit game I Want To Be The Guy

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I would be very pleased to try that Crowsworn game if it gets rave reviews, but let's be honest some of those sections are recycling Godhome and Deepnest/Sewers in a rather blatant fashion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I would be very pleased to try that Crowsworn game if it gets rave reviews, but let's be honest some of those sections are recycling Godhome and Deepnest/Sewers in a rather blatant fashion.

Feels way more like its knocking off Anor Londo than Godhome, like what makes you say that other than palette?

I mean, lots of games have sewers. Unless the platforming and enemies are like Deepnest then its not really Deepnest is it?

Also FYI some guy who produced Hollow Knight is apparently also producing Crowsworn now so there's even less need to get offended on Team Cherry's behalf.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 19, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is it like Crow-Sworn or Crows-Worn? Do you wear the crows?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Literally no-one is offended on team cherries behalf.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What do you mean “produced”? Team Cherry made Hollowknight, is the artist from Team Cherry doing Crowsworn?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

What do you mean “produced”? Team Cherry made Hollowknight, is the artist from Team Cherry doing Crowsworn?

Life usually gets complicated. Yeah, Team Cherry made it, but there were some people who weren't part of the 3 who also worked on various aspects of getting it published.

https://twitter.com/griffinmatta/status/1383528486166401034?s=20

Well, he's not listed on the Team Cherry "about us" page but then also:

https://teamcherry.com.au/new-addition-to-the-team-and-release-update/

So I guess you could say Team Cherry is assisting development of Crowsworn.

E: Producers don't usually do art, I would have said "the artist".

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 19, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zaphod42 posted:

Feels way more like its knocking off Anor Londo than Godhome, like what makes you say that other than palette?

I mean, lots of games have sewers. Unless the platforming and enemies are like Deepnest then its not really Deepnest is it?

I can't do a side-by-side comparison while phone posting but IMHO the aesthetic of some of this is straight up boosted from Hollow Knight in a way that doesn't pass the sniff test. I'm not outraged or offended, I'm simply giving an opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I can't do a side-by-side comparison while phone posting but IMHO the aesthetic of some of this is straight up boosted from Hollow Knight in a way that doesn't pass the sniff test. I'm not outraged or offended, I'm simply giving an opinion.

Sure. But as we previously discussed, the aesthetic is obviously copying Hollow Knight, that's not really a thing to argue. But like, Darkest Dungeon clearly copied the aesthetic of Mike Mignola, Cuphead copied Fliescher, etc. etc. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

But my point there was beyond the aesthetic of the characters and style of the backgrounds, which of these looks more the same

The idea of "lots of bloom and a city with golden light" isn't exactly wholly unique to Hollow Knight. So like, yeah it all looks like the same visual language as Hollow Knight because of the aesthetic. But I don't think beyond the aesthetic they look like direct knockoffs of Godhome or Deepnest, and if the enemies and platforming are different then that's just how things are when the style is the same.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

It's possible you might enjoy Mega Man ZX. It was always too hard for me to get too far into but also the DS made my hands hurt after a while so maybe playing it on a real controller would help.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bleck posted:

hollow knight was the best game of the previous decade and it's frankly asinine to question why anyone would be inspired by that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Who cares as long as it’s fun to play. They could make a game about bugs descending into a forgotten kingdom called Shallownest and I wouldn’t care if it was fun to play.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 19, 2021

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
lets just hope that its actually a good game apart from looking nice.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I have no idea what you guys are seeing in that Crowsworn trailer, that makes you think it's a Hollow Knight ripoff.

It's clearly a Plague of Shadows ripoff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Crowsworn is gonna be the Dark Souls of metroidvanias.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Mymla posted:

Crowsworn is gonna be the Dark Souls of metroidvanias.
That checks out; after all, it's obviously inspired by Bloodborne, and Bloodborne is the Hollow Knight of Dark Souls.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

When was the last time there was any actual concrete news about Silksong?

Asking for a friend.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cactus posted:

When was the last time there was any actual concrete news about Silksong?

Asking for a friend.

That magazine article a couple pages ago.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And before that, the "viral" campaign with the art of some new characters. That was pretty fun, actually, but now I've forgotten all of the things that happened back then.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Aah. Time has not... has not been kind to me.

We need a window.. Team Cherry. Give us a Window.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cactus posted:

Aah. Time has not... has not been kind to me.

We need a window.. Team Cherry. Give us a Window.

*shakes magic eightball* It says some time between today and the day after tomorrow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone un-memory my brain so I can new play the Hollow Knight game over again for the first time please?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Man, even Elden Ring just got its release date. We're so hosed.

:smith:

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Cactus posted:

Man, even Elden Ring just got its release date. We're so hosed.

:smith:

We really aren't. They're a small team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I get the small team thing with Hollow Knight. But with how popular it is, Team Cherry must have made millions. So wouldn't they staff up?