Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone else think it's kind of hosed up that Jacob is the only black companion and that he has a deadbeat dad who ran out on his family and made a sex slave harem and Jacob also runs out (and is the only love interest to do so) on his relationship with Shepard and knocks up another woman?

Or that Jack only gets resolution to her trauma in 2 if you're a man and you press F to cuddle so her mascara smears?

yea if they literally just made ONE other love interest take the 'without Shephard they kinda just went into their worst instincts again' route that'd be fine but big laughs at the only black dude in space being a serial deadbeat dad who's default state is 'get a harem going asap' as soon as his space waifu goes missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone else think it's kind of hosed up that Jacob is the only black companion and that he has a deadbeat dad who ran out on his family and made a sex slave harem and Jacob also runs out (and is the only love interest to do so) on his relationship with Shepard and knocks up another woman?

People have talked about the Jacob stuff a deal before and yeah, it's real unfortunate they made the sole black guy in your team wind up a weird horrible stereotype.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

She seemed to be doing okay at the end of my playthrough and I was playing a female Shephard and didn't romance her. By the third game she'd found a new calling as a teacher at some kind of school for biotic kids if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I also thought her resolution with Femshep was fine.

Although it's recently come out Jack was supposed to be bi but they edited it out of the game at some point.

Dragon Age was always way better about romances for LGBT and female players, anyway.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea if they literally just made ONE other love interest take the 'without Shephard they kinda just went into their worst instincts again' route that'd be fine but big laughs at the only black dude in space being a serial deadbeat dad who's default state is 'get a harem going asap' as soon as his space waifu goes missing.

its even funnier because iirc you're not even missing between ME2 and ME3, you're just being held awaiting trial for some amount of time for the relay you presumably blew up in the DLC, i dunno, i never bought any of the mass effect DLC but i remember that being a thing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Mass Effect seemed to resent the idea that players would romance anyone besides Liara. Then they kept rewriting her personality between each game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dmboogie posted:

its even funnier because iirc you're not even missing between ME2 and ME3, you're just being held awaiting trial for some amount of time for the relay you presumably blew up in the DLC, i dunno, i never bought any of the mass effect DLC but i remember that being a thing

oh gently caress that's right I got my games mixed up, in 2 to 3's jump you're just loving in space jail or whatever! There's not even the 'I thought you were dead I decided I had to move on' factor to it, dude just didn't wanna wait for his space wife to get out of space prison.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thane was the best romance and he deserved better.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mass Effect seemed to resent the idea that players would romance anyone besides Liara. Then they kept rewriting her personality between each game.

Joke's on them, the asari's weird squid heads made sure I had no interest.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I also thought her resolution with Femshep was fine.

Although it's recently come out Jack was supposed to be bi but they edited it out of the game at some point.

Dragon Age was always way better about romances for LGBT and female players, anyway.

Dragon Age is better about gay romances than Mass Effect in general, there are no gay male romances until ME3. Unless I'm forgetting something, there is no gay representation in the Mass Effect games until ME3 other than women in relationships with Asari.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Veotax posted:

Dragon Age is better about gay romances than Mass Effect in general, there are no gay male romances until ME3. Unless I'm forgetting something, there is no gay representation in the Mass Effect games until ME3 other than women in relationships with Asari.

Vega's the gay romance option, so you have big bulkman and little else that I remember.

Dragon Age 1 meanwhile had straight, gay, bi options right off the bat.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 17, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought it was what's his name that flew your dropship?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Oh wait yeah, gay male literally just got a generico crewmember, christ.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought "man without a personality" Cortez was the gay option in 3.

Now I'm on the rabbit trail of Bioware Cringe. There is so much. One of my favorites is Leliana's awkward musical number at the DA:O campfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-rLV6hGY4

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jimbot posted:

yeah, it's that bit-part guy and carth onasi (if he survived me1)

i remember that subplot being hilarious because in the last scene you're at a bar and to turn his romantic advances down you literally go "YEAH I LIKE LADIES" and gesture towards a stripper

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This would be the true gay romance that we all wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqUAbx9L-g

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"Data gathered by Nic Watt, gay male Founder and Creative Director at the Sydney-based Nnooo games development and publishing studio, shows that those who play as a gay male in the four available Mass Effect games can only romance 4 non-playable characters. Straight female Shepards or Ryders can romance 12 love interests, followed by gay females at 14 and finally straight males with 21 potential companions."

"More damning is the amount of squad members gay males can be with: two. Mass Effect 3’s Kaidan Alenko and Andromeda‘s Jaal are the only romance options that can be taken on missions alongside your player-character. Of all characters straight men can romance, 76% can be taken on missions, compared to 50% for gay females and 92% for straight females."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dragonage still being weird about not letting you romance dwarves,

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I hated that, supposedly it's because Gaider was weired out by a screenshot of like a dwarf PC with pigtails and stuff getting down with one of the romances, like man come the gently caress on, why can't I have my shortstrong beardman romances.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absolute cowards not letting me gently caress a dwarf, I respect no fantasy genre that doesn't allow dwarf boning.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yardbomb posted:

Thane was indeed the best romance and his plotline in 3 was great. I was perfectly fine with how it ended.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Not even the one who's got his chest bared all the time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oghren romance when.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's especially lame about the dwarf thing is you've got Oghren all throughout in 1/Awakening and the dude's horny literally all the time, but any flirting with him always hits a swerve.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do love the gag of 'deeply horny character doesn't actually understand flirting because he's just used to going 'I WANNA gently caress' all the time' but there 100% should have been a payoff of the bit where you could go 'look dude, I want to gently caress as well, you wanna get on this or you wanna keep being a little weirdo about it' and fluster him or something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I do love the gag of 'deeply horny character doesn't actually understand flirting because he's just used to going 'I WANNA gently caress' all the time' but there 100% should have been a payoff of the bit where you could go 'look dude, I want to gently caress as well, you wanna get on this or you wanna keep being a little weirdo about it' and fluster him or something.

I'm forgetting who, but someone in Awakening actually does this and he gets all bashful. :allears:

Though by the time of like just post-Inquisition, Gaider said like he'd gotten past it and was actually sad he didn't do any gay or otherwise dwarf romance, I think after watching The Hobbit he said lol. Though as a partial band-aid, if you kept flirting with Harding throughout Inquisition and didn't have another standing big relationship, it's in one of the expansions I think Trespasser where you can say to someone that you and Harding got together, which is cute.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2021

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Thane had the worst voice (in french) and deserved to go into the vents, which he did on my first playthrough! Really the filter on his voice rattled my nerves.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

I'm forgetting who, but someone in Awakening actually does this and he gets all bashful. :allears:

yea I also forgot who but you absolutely can actually do the 'no this isn't a joke, if you want to gently caress I will gently caress you my dude, I'm into it, let's go' turn and it rattles Horny Character and yea it rules. The joke of defeating horny with equal but opposite horny is a classic.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
The only thing that can stop bad horny is good horny.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Bethesda made it canon in fallout that China shot first, because of course they did.
okay so I've heard this but where was it confirmed? 4? 76?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SteelMentor posted:

I regularly get the impression that Bethesda just... does not like Fallout as a setting, but is married to it for brand recognition. Slowly turning the series' most recognisable elements into shambling skin puppets that dance around as the writers continually, viciously ignore any of the themes/plot-threads of the previous games and anything actually interesting they accidentally stumble into of their own make in favour of utterly braindead cliches and gimmicks.

The fundamental tension within Fallout 3 is that Bethesda probably wanted to clear the table of any lingering baggage from 1&2. (You can take that as a purely cynical move, but regardless I think it's ultimately a good thing that they struck out into their own pocket of locations and stories instead of trying to make a direct sequel to 2 and put their fingers in someone else's pie.) But also they wanted to maintain all of the important brand recognition "wow, cool Super Mutants!" stuff.

Beyond that they also clearly treat Fallout identically to how they treat the Elder Scrolls - are Arena and Daggerfall (or the spinoff games) considered ironclad canon? Hell no. So is it really that big of a deal if something contradicts F1? No, because the overwhelming majority of the playerbase for the modern Fallout games have never touched the original. Though ES benefits from the lore including fun nonsense like "uhh....the universe kind of exploded and time inverted and we tried turning it off and back on again and it seemed to work" to help fill in gaps.

Also while 4 gets a lot of poo poo (not wholly undeservedly) it at least tries a bit harder than 3 did. A low bar to clear, but the four factions are at least a step above the largely linear stuff that 3 pulls. I also only found out just recently that 3 includes a quest that sets up the Institute and synths in advance of 4, which I think displays they care at least a little bit. If only about "their" Fallout and not the increasingly distant work done by the folks who put together 1&2. And...I honestly don't know if I find that to be strictly good or bad. In a creative sense, being utterly beholden to the decades old canon of increasingly irrelevant PC games, regardless of their quality, is...maybe not actually that great? But I would also agree that in a corporate sense, gobbling up the IP so they can tread all over what came before except for the most superficial and marketable elements...yeah, that's lovely.

If they were savvy, they would keep funding side games like New Vegas. Have Obsidian keep filling out the western US while they focus on the east. That way everybody wins. Then maybe after a few more pairs of games start teasing some big east meets west thing to get people hype, idk.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
At least for me, 4's lackluster main story wouldn't have been such an issue if there was more to do on the side. Bethesda games generally have pretty basic main stories. This is known. But side quests and self-directed exploration through interesting areas to find interesting things would be where you get your money's worth. Procedurally generated quests to obtain procedurally generated loot meant that you weren't going to have an interesting adventure or an interesting reward for doing it.

John Murdoch posted:

If they were savvy, they would keep funding side games like New Vegas. Have Obsidian keep filling out the western US while they focus on the east. That way everybody wins. Then maybe after a few more pairs of games start teasing some big east meets west thing to get people hype, idk.

Chicago has been mentioned in every post-Bethesda Fallout including New Vegas, as well as hosting the (possibly?) gone-rogue Midwestern Brotherhood so I gotta assume it's on the shortlist for settings.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 18, 2021

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I’m not entirely sure how Bethesda managed to make fallout 4 more bland and uninteresting than 3 but they achieved it and perhaps should be lauded for that

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I honestly don't know why the radiant stuff gets folks' dander up. You generally have to go out of your way to interact with any of it. I've spent a silly number of hours in both Skyrim and Fallout 4 without touching any proc gen crap outside of a few specific exceptions (like needing to grind out a few Railroad tasks to get ballistic weave).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CDPR's star may have fallen, but in 2015 Fallout 4 looked embarassing next to Witcher 3. A reduction of role-playing elements, the lack of actual scripted quests, sloppy and amateur writing, and the overall stench of stagnation like the engine and UI design.

The shooting was now not-crap, but it was not a trade-off. A kid being stuck in fridge makes for an awful Fallout quest, but would be welcome in a Yakuza game since that series has writers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

the lack of actual scripted quests

So did I play a totally different version of Fallout 4 than everyone else or is this one of those things where the definition of radiant quest has been stretched and warped to something nonsensical?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Murdoch posted:

So did I play a totally different version of Fallout 4 than everyone else or is this one of those things where the definition of radiant quest has been stretched and warped to something nonsensical?

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_4_quests

Despite how long this page is, the quest roster is actually very thin. Some of them are just "Talk to dude, ding, level up". A lot of them two-step affairs which are "pick item up from end of shooting gallery' It stretches belief that you need to kill a dozen people to pick up a can of beans someone wants. Others can be resolved with a single charisma check. The rest is all radiant.

Stuff like Borderlands 2 and Dying Light also have shallow quests but they dont pretend to be deep RPGs. They also dont burden themselves with needless cruft since their engines arent from 2002.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

You can thank Preston for also making so many people mad at 'radiant quests'

HEY COME HERE MAN LET ME JUST DUMP THIS IN YOUR QUEST LOG

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Stuff like Borderlands 2 and Dying Light also have shallow quests but they dont pretend to be deep RPGs. They also dont burden themselves with needless cruft since their engines arent from 2002.
If you're going to count from the initial release of the base engine then Borderlands 2's is from 1998 and Dying Light's is 2002.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Yardbomb posted:

The voice acting of, "That was for Thane you son of a bitch!" when you kill him almost makes up for Kai Leng's whole... everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6JomvKxhs&t=45s

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Shyrka posted:

The voice acting of, "That was for Thane you son of a bitch!" when you kill him almost makes up for Kai Leng's whole... everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6JomvKxhs&t=45s

Kai Leng, Cereal Killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm eating another man's cereal. I completely owned him!