Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Is anyone getting weird texture flickering in update 4? Things were fine in update 3. Doesn't seem to be a driver issue, nothing else I've played is doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dang I wonder if I should start brand new or continue my old place... on one hand, it'll take a long time back to where I was, but on the other hand, it's fun

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CitizenKain posted:

Is anyone getting weird texture flickering in update 4? Things were fine in update 3. Doesn't seem to be a driver issue, nothing else I've played is doing it.

try verifying local files in steam (or the equivalent in EGS)

For some reason the patch is failing to update all files for a small % of people, and it results in random wack graphics bugs. It was happening for people when they went from EA -> experimental while U4 was pre-release as well.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

whalestory posted:

Dang I wonder if I should start brand new or continue my old place... on one hand, it'll take a long time back to where I was, but on the other hand, it's fun

If you enjoy the game of buliding up from nothing, restart!

If you want to build up somewhere else from where you've already developed (and you're not on like t7/8 tech) then just pack up and move to start somewhere else!

If you want to be somewhere in the middle, restart and go through the interactive satisfactory map and modify the save to enable tech or alternative recipies!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

try verifying local files in steam (or the equivalent in EGS)

For some reason the patch is failing to update all files for a small % of people, and it results in random wack graphics bugs. It was happening for people when they went from EA -> experimental while U4 was pre-release as well.

Did that, but eventually went through every option and found that it was shadows, went from high to medium and it seemed to clear up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

whalestory posted:

Someone was able to use one of the save file editors to rotate and move their entire megafactory, pages and pages and pages back. I bet it'd be possible to save a game where you've stuffed your pants with materials and packed up your HUB, and delete everything player-constructed in it without affecting your Milestone or MAM unlocks, that sounds a lot less potentially fraught than 80,000 entities and all their connections

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

The daisy chain mod has been updated and it brought one of the most important quality of life changes to date. Powered daisy chained machines connect to your hover pack so you dont have to lay a bunch of unecessary poles all over the factory.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eegah! posted:

The daisy chain mod has been updated and it brought one of the most important quality of life changes to date. Powered daisy chained machines connect to your hover pack so you dont have to lay a bunch of unecessary poles all over the factory.

Oh wow I hadn’t heard of that mod before that sounds extremely handy. How many connections from a building, just one extra?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Oh wow I hadn’t heard of that mod before that sounds extremely handy. How many connections from a building, just one extra?

One extra, the way that batteries work in stock now.

The problem with the daisy chain mod is that it isn't modifying the stock buildings, it makes copies that are a different modded item. So once you go to that mod, you kinda have to stay with it forever or all your poo poo vanishes.

Eegah! posted:

Powered daisy chained machines connect to your hover pack so you dont have to lay a bunch of unecessary poles all over the factory.

The hover pack already gets power from powered machines though?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Uh that sounds dangerous

quote:

The problem with the daisy chain mod is that it isn't modifying the stock buildings, it makes copies that are a different modded item. So once you go to that mod, you kinda have to stay with it forever or all your poo poo vanishes.

I mean what if they don't make the mod after the next big update or something???? I'd be like THE gently caress!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ooh yeah that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me, will go with slapping power poles around instead.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah that part alone would keep me away from it, even if the functionality was something I really wanted.

But at this point I build any major factory in a building / structure, and the U3.5 change to power lines means sockets are so easy to string across walls and ceilings. Before 3.5 I saw the attraction of daisy chain mod, after 3.5 I'm like meh whatever.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Update completely killed my factory, had to shut down a lot of it just to keep a fuse from blowing every second. Even after that my power is fluctuating so much more that it's still shutting down every few minutes, so I have to set a little more to idle. It's so annoying I'm considering just starting over.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Smart! is supposed to be updated today. Have actually been holding off playing a bit because doing huge platforms and buildings is so much better with that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sirtommygunn posted:

Update completely killed my factory, had to shut down a lot of it just to keep a fuse from blowing every second. Even after that my power is fluctuating so much more that it's still shutting down every few minutes, so I have to set a little more to idle. It's so annoying I'm considering just starting over.

Grab a few stacks of copper wire, stators, and modular frames. Go to your main / biggest power plant & disconnect it from the rest of your grid. Build power storage batteries & hook them up to the power plant. Wait for them to charge for somewhere between 20 min to an hour, depending on how dire you think your problem is.

Then connect back up to your main grid, and the batteries should see you through the current problem. Likely the reason you're blowing the fuse is the increased stack sizes, meaning previously idle factories are now active everywhere. Some charged batteries should keep it going until the buffers fill up and stuff goes idle again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My solution was to run for an unused coal node and spam coal generators until I got my head above water.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The geyser power fluctuating between 50% and 150% now is another big reason why power is a bit trickier now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I think this is one of the worst hard drives I've ever gotten

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Leal posted:

Fused Quickwire is the best way to produce mass quantities of quickwire for any project within easy distance of a copper and caterium node, I used it a bunch back in update 3. Same for Fused Wire if you need a bunch of that, just be careful about setting the recipes since they use the same ingredients and you can accidentally pollute your belts with one or the other if you set an assembler wrong.

Don't know why they even bother having alt recipes for coal though. Even if you got it in the very beginning of the game it would still probably be easier to just run off and find a node somewhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mean, if there was a way of automating infinite biomass production...sure that would be cool if you wanted to set up some sort of farm. But there's not and well resources in Satisfactory go in 3 stages:
1) You have none of it
2) You have some you scrounged
3) You have infinite, limited at a rate of X/minute.

Having an alternate recipe to convert wood to coal even for stuff like the MAM sulfur/black powder research is still massively underwhelming compared to finding a coal node and dropping a handful of portable miners on it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Bought this today and have already put a good few hours into it, just got the rebar gun.
What level does the map come in?
I have a map key but it does nothing.

e: crap, didnt find it at first, after researching quartz

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 17, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think charcoal and biocoal can have a place in the black powder production line, since black powder only goes into items you manually use, so it balances with the resources you manually acquire. But coal nodes are common enough that there's not really any need to do that unless you just don't want to waste the biomass.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OgNar posted:

Bought this today and have already put a good few hours into it, just got the rebar gun.
What level does the map come in?
I have a map key but it does nothing.

e: crap, didnt find it at first, after researching quartz

Yup. The map's a bit frustrating as it's under Quartz. Honestly just take 3-4 porta-miners (or build them on the spot, the equipment workbench and the miners are cheap) and have them dig up a few stacks for you from a node then run it back to process at your base. Same with Caterium and Sulfur really. At least you can get the map before the first space elevator delivery.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leal posted:

As NoEyedSquareGuy says, fused quickwire is super useful. It may be that copper is the new limiting factor for max production, but until you hit that level it's really convenient to use some copper. Caterium is pretty spread out everywhere, so not have to source from multiple nodes is way easier.

Also it's not a popular take but I will stan for bolted plates and frames until the day I die. You trade increase in iron use (who cares) in exchange for a massive decrease in how many machines you need to build. Combine with steel screws and the whole "screw problem" really just vanishes. A couple steel beam constructors gives you thousands of screws, I just send the beams around on mk1 belt and have a few steel screw constructors attached like barnacles to anything that needs screws.

Tenebrais posted:

I think charcoal and biocoal can have a place in the black powder production line, since black powder only goes into items you manually use, so it balances with the resources you manually acquire.

That's a good point. OTOH black powder also only goes into things that need a lot of steel parts to research & produce, so honestly even in that context I can't imagine them fueling manual production without coal. Also sulfur is pretty universally farther away from the starts than coal. So even in early game where you're crafting nobelisks from sulfur that you manually mined you probably also have coal.

tldr 1 of them ok, but 2 coal alts is just annoying

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yup. The map's a bit frustrating as it's under Quartz. Honestly just take 3-4 porta-miners (or build them on the spot, the equipment workbench and the miners are cheap) and have them dig up a few stacks for you from a node then run it back to process at your base. Same with Caterium and Sulfur really. At least you can get the map before the first space elevator delivery.

The map being hidden down a MAM research tree is one of the worst designed parts of this game, in my opinion. Sure, if you know about it it's not hard to get down there, but for first-time players its a complete mystery. I don't think the game gives you any clues about it for such a major game feature. Plus, if you start in the default area, the nearest Quartz node is miles away, and you won't know how much Quartz you need to collect to get to the map research even if somehow you did know to do that.

The map should unlock as soon as you build the Space Elevator. If I have a counterweight platform somewhere up in space to function as the other end of the elevator, I should be able to get some satellite views of the surrounding area.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gully Foyle posted:

The map being hidden down a MAM research tree is one of the worst designed parts of this game, in my opinion. Sure, if you know about it it's not hard to get down there, but for first-time players its a complete mystery. I don't think the game gives you any clues about it for such a major game feature.

So my first experience with the game was playing with a buddy who had already played the game, but only through coal & steel. This friend is a no-spoilers guy, I'm a don't give a poo poo about spoilers person. So there was plenty of stuff he didn't know, particularly since we started in the rocky desert and he'd never been in that area. And out of respect for him, I didn't go read the wiki and look at all the online info right away.

The sense of mystery & exploration from not having the map was real. We went on expeditions for stuff and it was like, wow, not having the map made stuff feel big. Particularly when we were doing stuff in areas that are always foggy, space became incredibly compressed. I could actually get lost.

That feeling was very cool, and is absolutely a one-time thing that you pretty much lose as soon as you know the map. Of course, a lot of things that could be frustrating are more fun with another person. "Help I'm lost and I can't see poo poo in this fog" becomes a game where your buddy climbs above the fog and tells you "go left and up the slope, no the other left."

Gully Foyle posted:

Plus, if you start in the default area, the nearest Quartz node is miles away,

Quartz is pretty inaccessible from most of the starts. Rock desert is even worse: there's quartz that pings not too far away from the start, but it's in some caves that are totally inaccessible in early game. We spent a whole day exploring that area before giving up on it.

North forest has quartz fairly close but it's 2 pure nodes with a bunch of nasty guards. Only dune desert has what I'd call easily rushable quartz, and that's the dune desert's entire gimmick. You can rush everything in the dunes, and you need to rush stuff in the dunes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This talk is interesting because I too am a new player (exploring the factory games coming from Factorio then DSP). I'm keeping myself spoiler light, but there are some things you just can't avoid. Like, I know there is a map and at first I thought it would be something that unlocked during the tutorial, then, at least until reading the above posts, I thought it would be a milestone reward. I'm setting up a coal line for power and I still don't have a map (also coal is really goddamn far away and it's annoying). I'm taking the milestones/elevator deliveries as a guide/campaign and if things that need quartz come late I may never have unlocked the map...

Thoughts so far coming from other games of the genre: mineral resources being infinite but hard limited by throughput is an interesting challenge. I hate the varied, rolling terrain (from a factory building perspective; I love to explore) and have a gnawing need for a large flat terrain for all these giant assembler buildings. I have anxiety about foliage and I don't know if it grows back for me to turn into biofuel (hence the desire for coal power). Great so far.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

This talk is interesting because I too am a new player (exploring the factory games coming from Factorio then DSP). I'm keeping myself spoiler light, but there are some things you just can't avoid. Like, I know there is a map and at first I thought it would be something that unlocked during the tutorial, then, at least until reading the above posts, I thought it would be a milestone reward. I'm setting up a coal line for power and I still don't have a map (also coal is really goddamn far away and it's annoying). I'm taking the milestones/elevator deliveries as a guide/campaign and if things that need quartz come late I may never have unlocked the map...

I think it's safe to say without spoilering:

Explore the world and pick up everything, also items and minerals you don't recognize.
When you open the MAM you can see several tech trees that can be unlocked, most of those are unlocked by picking up some specific items or minerals.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah I get the swing of it now. Found some fungus, some caterite(?), some crashed ship that needs power...I have work to do.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

I think it's safe to say without spoilering:

Also, the Awesome Sink and Awesome Shop might sound from their description like they're a superfluous bonus that you can ignore. They are not. There is stuff in the shop that you extremely want to have. (2 out of 3 people that I know who have played the game didn't bother building a sink for a long time.)

I think these two answers are extremely mild non-spoilers, but I'll bar them just in case you want to find everything yourself:

SettingSun posted:

I hate the varied, rolling terrain (from a factory building perspective; I love to explore) and have a gnawing need for a large flat terrain for all these giant assembler buildings.
You have foundations unlocked, yes? You need to build your own large flat terrain. Foundations also give you grid snapping when you build stuff on them.

SettingSun posted:

I have anxiety about foliage and I don't know if it grows back for me to turn into biofuel (hence the desire for coal power).
Yes & no. It doesn't normally grow back where your buildings are (though some updates have reset all foliage).

It does grow back in areas where you don't build anything, but I think it's not on a simple clock cycle. I suspect it's something like the game keeps track of at least N cut down plants, so a tree doesn't regrow until you've cut down N other trees and bushes elsewhere.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It's a weird design decision to have four entirely separated tech progression systems (HUB, MAM, Space Elevator, and AWSOME Sink/Shop) all working on the functionally identical principle of "feed me items". It's especially weird given how many other games have solved the idea of a "tech tree" that comprises multiple methods of research but tells you what's available and what you need to do (which may comprise multiple methods/buildings) at any given step.

There's also a bunch of weird jank like the MAM having timers on recipes despite all buildings running off of the same timer, meaning it's a timer for the sake of having the player wait out a timer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

North forest has quartz fairly close but it's 2 pure nodes with a bunch of nasty guards. Only dune desert has what I'd call easily rushable quartz, and that's the dune desert's entire gimmick. You can rush everything in the dunes, and you need to rush stuff in the dunes.

What guards? North forest, south cliff area? There's maybe 1 or 2 of the little spitters and they can be killed easily.

Microcline posted:

It's a weird design decision to have four entirely separated tech progression systems (HUB, MAM, Space Elevator, and AWSOME Sink/Shop) all working on the functionally identical principle of "feed me items". It's especially weird given how many other games have solved the idea of a "tech tree" that comprises multiple methods of research but tells you what's available and what you need to do (which may comprise multiple methods/buildings) at any given step.

There's also a bunch of weird jank like the MAM having timers on recipes despite all buildings running off of the same timer, meaning it's a timer for the sake of having the player wait out a timer.

Too many games have homogenized research trees into a single global thing. I love how Satisfactory splits them into their own flavorful things.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

What guards? North forest, south cliff area? There's maybe 1 or 2 of the little spitters and they can be killed easily.

As someone who's set up there too I have no idea what they're talking about. The dual pure-quartz on the northern cliff-edge of the northern forest has some chargers. There is a spitter on the nearby pure quartz, and an Alpha Spitter on the road down to the northern lowland/desert strip.

Honestly with the exception of Alpha Chargers, I find most everything else comes down to "do I have enough health items to tank this?" Alpha Chargers come down to "Do I have a ranged weapon?" because they have so much health and are way too good at punting me off of cliffs.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The best thing to make combat easier is to remember that you are an engineer and can build stuff. Equipment workshops are amazing for trapping/corralling enemies, especially the alpha hogs.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Yeah I get the swing of it now. Found some fungus, some caterite(?), some crashed ship that needs power...I have work to do.

No need to get power all the way, just put down a biofuel generator for a few seconds to open it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got back into this with the new update and finally seeing some of the late game tech from even prior updates for the first time like trains and I'm all the way back in. I'm gradually working on T7/8 for the first time so I can't wait to see what bullshit comes next :shepface:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ambaire posted:

Alkydere posted:

As someone who's set up there too I have no idea what they're talking about. The dual pure-quartz on the northern cliff-edge of the northern forest has some chargers.

I was thinking about the 2x pure quartz, but must have been misremembering. I thought there was both a big spitter on the quartz and hogs in the woods around it? It's been a while.

Anyways yeah enemies in this game are IMO not a major impediment to anything once you have a rebar gun, but there is a decent chunk of the playerbase that disagrees. Put yourself in the shoes of people who play exactly zero action games and can't track a target. For those people the north forest is a fairly difficult starting zone, probably worse than dune desert. It definitely has a higher concentration of enemies, plus forest and fog to make it hard to spot them. I tend to be iffy on recommending it as a start for that reason.

If every enemy in the game is at most a minor nuisance to you, north forest is fine.

Ambaire posted:

The best thing to make combat easier is to remember that you are an engineer and can build stuff. Equipment workshops are amazing for trapping/corralling enemies, especially the alpha hogs.

And hopping on a 4m foundation and building some walls is totally invulnerable protection. Then make a doorway to shoot from.

I know they don't want to make enemies attack your buildings, and tbqh factorio-style enemy attacks would suck. But I think enemies should be able to destroy foundations and walls, just because you can cheese the poo poo out of them so badly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I find jetpack and xeno basher is great for dealing with enemies. The only one that freaks me out is the big spider thing and gahh that thing is terrifying when it's dark.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do max turtle with minimal exploration until I unlock the rifle then unleash my fury on the innocent wildlife from the top of a 8x4 foundation tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat there's a rifle? I didn't even know there was a map. I should probably get back on that MAM now that I have T7/8 in the works.