Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i didn't know they were making a WoT. anything they do will be better than the books. anything.

I regret to inform you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I regret to inform you...

quote:

Winter Dragon is a 22-minute short television film that aired in 2015 during an infomercial timeslot without prior advertising. It was based on the prologue for The Eye of the World, the first novel in The Wheel of Time book series.

The short film was created so that the production company Red Eagle Entertainment could maintain television and film rights for the series, which were due to revert back to the Robert Jordan estate.

lmfao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you're going to say that a show whose diversity and representation has been endlessly hyped by Disney is actually pretty derivative of a show made by white people it's entirely unsurprising why some people would think that's being racist

yes she shouldve known better than to challenge the walt disney corporation

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

don't have much to say about Lindsay Ellis but I'll have you know that Doug Walker would have pulled through all this bullshit unscathed

We'll find out soon. Folding Ideas had just posted a vid slamming Walker. Not subtle at all, insults mixed right in. Which is all a bit inexplicable

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nonathlon posted:

Not subtle at all, insults mixed right in. Which is all a bit inexplicable

FI is a bit of a weird aggro dickhead basically every time it’s a target he thinks he can get away with it on. I remember watching his video on flat earthers and he’s got a bit in response to hbomberguy’s vids on the same subject, thats basically “yeah hbomb means well but his mistake was having any sympathy at all for people involved in flat earth who might have unwittingly fallen into cult thought, every single one of them is actually a racist and you should treat them like dumb animals every single time”

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

people have been making fun of doug walker for years he is an incredibly embarassing person and he treated all the channel awesome people like poo poo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And he's bald

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Am i too late to chime in that B5 is awesome and you should definitely watch it. The first seaso starts a bit rough but it quickly picks up steam by season 2, it's great, watch it. I think it's available on HBO?

Stairmaster posted:

And he's bald

Well that's just uncalled for

Re Lindsey Ellis, if she'd just said "my bad" and apologized instead of coming up with excuses as to why it's good, actually, to be an rear end about every single time she's been wrong then everyone would have forgotten about it. Also good job undoing the only goos thing she did the past 6 months which was crush cinema roberto.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

FI is a bit of a weird aggro dickhead basically every time it’s a target he thinks he can get away with it on. I remember watching his video on flat earthers and he’s got a bit in response to hbomberguy’s vids on the same subject, thats basically “yeah hbomb means well but his mistake was having any sympathy at all for people involved in flat earth who might have unwittingly fallen into cult thought, every single one of them is actually a racist and you should treat them like dumb animals every single time”

Don't know why people like this smug, annoying beardo.

That applies to breadtube in general

Grevling has issued a correction as of 09:19 on Apr 17, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Got it. I've found some of his other stuff interesting but haven't watched it all. So this latest piece came across real weird. Like, it's not a considered examination, more of a call out. And are we really at the point where YouTubers are making dis videos at each other? And why should I watch their feud?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it was made as a patreon incentive, there's quite a funny trend of left youtube people having their creative direction instantly and totally hosed by trying to appeal to the specific tastes of "people who subscribe to left youtube patreons"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I thought this was a fantasy novel why is everyone wearing suits

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

I thought this was a fantasy novel why is everyone wearing suits

Jordan spent zero time in the novels describing clothing so the director had nothing to go on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jordan spent zero time in the novels describing clothing so the director had nothing to go on

that is a fully insane choice to make though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I get 'there's next to no real description here, what do we do' sucks but 'uuuh...suits??' is some bonkers logical leaps

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

McCloud posted:

Re Lindsey Ellis, if she'd just said "my bad" and apologized instead of coming up with excuses as to why it's good, actually, to be an rear end about every single time she's been wrong then everyone would have forgotten about it. Also good job undoing the only goos thing she did the past 6 months which was crush cinema roberto.

that's not how the internet or twitter works and anyone who thinks this is insanely naive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm joking, I haven't read the WoT novels in 20 years but his pages-long descriptions were so thorough I still remember the styles of specific cities. It sucks but this video's "magical plantation" look ain't great

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Having not watched that vid at all I assume it's set during Lews Therin times where it's implied they had space travel and sci fi tech.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Having not watched that vid at all I assume it's set during Lews Therin times where it's implied they had space travel and sci fi tech.

what.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's right, the 'hidden prologue' of the series is all laser beams and floating universities. it's all very dumb

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

credit given for putting billy zane under a ridiculous stringy wig, 10/10 would zane again

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

the main issue was she picked examples that were super common in fantasy, and especially eastern fantasy tropes, so boiling it down to 'avatar stuff' was kinda reductive, and she responded to people going 'this is kinda a dumb take' with a meltdown that lasted until...well a 2 hour video where she lumps in minorities telling her it may be best to just not feel the urge to fight with every minority who shares their view with her with 'gamergate style harassment' in a section called 'she deserved it' as if she's an assault victim for it.

Like, the vid loving sucks and she took a fairly boring Twitter 'this is dumb' thing and went all cancel culture about it because that's what she's done constantly before, there wasn't a lot of actual 'anger' at her more just annoyance that she keeps doing the same poo poo and acting like the victim each time.

yeah no

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the whole thing about the nightmare world wokescolds live in is that once you are identified as the enemy, there is no combination of words or actions that can absolve you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cancel culture isn’t a real thing imo

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

There are "clever" references to how the WoT world and our world are the same time loop, just divided by huge gaps of time/repeating apocalypses. So the Cold War is a legend about two literal giants in their time, and who we think of Jesus, Odin and prob other religious figures are human characters in the books.

It's all ignorable background poo poo that's easy to miss, unlike the scifi stuff that gets directly referenced.

Big Mad Drongo has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Apr 17, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

and who we think of Jesus, Odin and prob other religious figures are human characters in the books.

wait what

i think i got through book eleven before i shelved 'em for good, do they really do the same thing as shannara and say 'yeah this is earth'

i read the end via the fan wiki and the climax of the series is pretty lol stuff about "wait maybe we need evil or else we'll just turn to anarchism!"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I read these books in high school and thought they were cool at the time but even the me back then would think doing a 30 minute pilot where people have suits and guns for a fantasy series would be a stupid idea.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

cancel culture isn’t a real thing imo

lol

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

wait what

i think i got through book eleven before i shelved 'em for good, do they really do the same thing as shannara and say 'yeah this is earth'

i read the end via the fan wiki and the climax of the series is pretty lol stuff about "wait maybe we need evil or else we'll just turn to anarchism!"

It's been years but Rand is Jesus (stigmata/branding, disappears and is "resurrected") and Mat is Odin (one eye, died for wisdom, ravens).

The Cold War is Merk(ica) and Mosk(ow) hurling lightning (nukes) at each other in a story that Thom tells in the background of one scene.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Rand is Jesus

wow and people itt thought Zack Snyder was the objectivist

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
people reincarnate in WoT and the real world is about as far on the titular wheel as is possible so it's like 12 words out of several million

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

that's not how the internet or twitter works and anyone who thinks this is insanely naive

You're right, making a smug 2 hour video explaining how everyone else is wrong is way preferable

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lindsay ellis posted an hour-long video about being cancelled lol. YA culture is wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4

leaving this on tv while i play vidja games and its starting out great she just said the only thing you can criticize about deblasio is that he eats food in a funny way

beginning to wonder if shes ever going to actually explain how raya the last dragon is similar to avatar which seems like a more interesting topic to me than discourse about discourse

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Lol ellis

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

leaving this on tv while i play vidja games and its starting out great she just said the only thing you can criticize about deblasio is that he eats food in a funny way

beginning to wonder if shes ever going to actually explain how raya the last dragon is similar to avatar which seems like a more interesting topic to me than discourse about discourse

thats obviously a joke, and yes

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i cant believe im the only person on thsi forum whos smart enough to comprehend a youtube video thats just someone talking directly into the camera

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I posted the video but there's no way I'm watching that poo poo lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

thats obviously a joke

are you sure you watched the video because im not sure you get how cancellation works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway heres my full review of the video its exactly as stupid as it sounds and i think my brain would have tried to escape from my ears if i hadnt deliberately distracted myself doing something else