Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Turbo is still the best way to play Dota because last hitting creeps isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

How come they don't let you have role queue games unless you queue for all 5 roles? Seems like selecting the 3 less desirable roles should give you something, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that want to queue carry/mid.

It's just to fill / balance the mm pool. You have to (probably) play out of your favorite, popular role every 5th game, since you get four for queuing everything. If you play the in-demand roles, it won't affect you because you never lose the RQ game credits. I think that's what you're basically talking about, but you don't earn credits unless you let the algorithm use you as universal filler for queue times.

You get extra credit as a support for just always queuing everything and letting your role-specific nerd teammates have the confidence at queue time that their precious mid or safe lane spot won't be contested and you just get stuck with 4/5 99% of the time anyway.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 31, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Turbo is still the best way to play Dota because last hitting creeps isn't fun.

Maybe not, but the laning stage is fun.

As is Chen :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think that many people find Chen fun. Even in upper brackets he has like a 1% pickrate. There are heroes that have substantially worse winrates that get picked way more often. To me that indicates he's either way too situational or people just don't find playing it to be a rewarding experience even if they win.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Chen is mechanically difficult enough that he requires specific practice, and outside of situations where he's busted good it's really hard to justify learning him. Like, in normal situations, which carry do you counter pick with chen? Lycan and....arc warden, maybe?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I pick Chen when I feel like playing Warcraft 3

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think that many people find Chen fun. Even in upper brackets he has like a 1% pickrate. There are heroes that have substantially worse winrates that get picked way more often. To me that indicates he's either way too situational or people just don't find playing it to be a rewarding experience even if they win.

I just enjoy coming running out of the jungle with that 150 damage Chain Lightning, or Purge + Penitence for ganks. I also enjoy the simple satisfaction of pressing R, pressing Mekansm and having the whole team back at full health :unsmith: and hitting good Centaur Stomps as a follow up to other CC is mega satisfying.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Chen is mechanically difficult enough that he requires specific practice, and outside of situations where he's busted good it's really hard to justify learning him. Like, in normal situations, which carry do you counter pick with chen? Lycan and....arc warden, maybe?

It seems to me less about counter picking and more about drafting for it. My group enjoys Brood, Beast Master and Lycan for some serious push. And Ursa who really appreciates Penitence.

I'm also mega far from a pro player so I think he feels more viable at lower MMR. Plus as others said, literally no one plays him so I think a lot of people don't know how to play against him either.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I picked this back up recently. I love the new courier and the free TP scrolls. But man I can’t seem to have a good ranked game with other bads. The last 5 calibration games I’ve played have been with people with 5000 matches each, and it’s always a complete stomp. I know I’m terrible, but I don’t think my supporting is the one factor explaining our 50-0 losses.

I’m hoping that it’s just taking time for my rank to settle into the garbage tier where it belongs. Or do bad players just not play ranked at all? I wonder if my acct has anything to do with it - I have ~250 matches but they’re spaced out over 10 years, so I look like I have experience but I haven’t really learned anything.

Anyway, I’m still having a good time muting the whole team and doing my best, regardless of the game result. This way maybe I’ll learn faster

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The secret to enjoying Dota is to never play ranked games

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Coming back after like 7 years to check out the new player experience and dear lord the bots are completely useless. Half the time they just camp midlane as a 4 stack or spin around in circles in the jungle.

Why did they remove the role icons from each of the heroes? Used to be able to mouse over a hero and it would say "this guy's good at carrying but also support or waveclear" but now that info's not really anywhere anymore. Luckily you can generally tell by the character design/portraits (compared to League where everybody is just generic interchangable anime character) but still I'd prefer them to present more information instead of less.

Do the unranked modes have a hidden MMR, or is it all just random players?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I played my first game in years, tried for unranked, wouldn't pop, queued turbo. Game starts after 3 mins. dire side, picked pugna, bought wards, I know I can atleast progress with items with him and keep vision up regardless of what my team actually does. Match goes on as usual, everyone picks a lane. Pudge mid, phantom and IO top, me n axe on bottom. Around the 12 minute mark Io starts tethering me and dropping me in the enemy fountain. First game back, and that really stung. So I disconnected. The promise of dota. smh

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, that was something that bugged me about my first few games back; I think I have about 4 turbo games and 4 regular games under my belt, and every single one of them ended with the winning team just fountain camping the losing team instead of actually ending the match.

HotS has spoiled me in terms of the community.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

Coming back after like 7 years to check out the new player experience and dear lord the bots are completely useless. Half the time they just camp midlane as a 4 stack or spin around in circles in the jungle.

Why did they remove the role icons from each of the heroes? Used to be able to mouse over a hero and it would say "this guy's good at carrying but also support or waveclear" but now that info's not really anywhere anymore. Luckily you can generally tell by the character design/portraits (compared to League where everybody is just generic interchangable anime character) but still I'd prefer them to present more information instead of less.

Do the unranked modes have a hidden MMR, or is it all just random players?

They deliberately have the bots even dumber than normal in new player games.

In the default hero select you can see little light colored role names underneath as a filter. Honestly, I think it's a little anti-dota to be able to look at a hero and see what "it's supposed to do" since everything is reasonable given either low average skill or creativity+teamwork. Role queue irked me a little at launch but at least it doesn't lock out heroes or something.

Unranked does have a hidden mmr component, yeah, though it's variance is a little looser maybe. I think the match making process is very similar to ranked, but could be wrong.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

Yeah, that was something that bugged me about my first few games back; I think I have about 4 turbo games and 4 regular games under my belt, and every single one of them ended with the winning team just fountain camping the losing team instead of actually ending the match.

HotS has spoiled me in terms of the community.

Fountain diving is a time honored tradition that even happens in pro games, even though the fountain damage ramps now (see Ana's recent PL game). Usually by the time it's possible the end is inevitable and it doesn't last long due to creeps or boredom...and the dev design philosophy is that sometimes you'll be on that side and see how fun it is. I fully expect a dive or two every game, even waiting for a respawn or two, but if the enemy keep the game going like an extra five minutes that's pretty effed up and probably reportable.

I met lots of turds in hots so maybe the experience varies.

The io fountain trolling thing is pretty hosed up. Not that it's a solution, but you can disable friendly help or get a ghost scepter to mitigate that. Did a civil war break out in chat that caused the griefing or did they just queue looking to troll?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's fun to play Pudge and then spend a few minutes at the end fountain fishing while the megas finish off the base

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

The io fountain trolling thing is pretty hosed up. Not that it's a solution, but you can disable friendly help or get a ghost scepter to mitigate that. Did a civil war break out in chat that caused the griefing or did they just queue looking to troll?

Not the person you replied to, but I had a game not too long ago where at the start of the match our mid warned us, "just testing out a new PC" and then after 25 minutes of feeding / smoking AFK into the enemy fountain he abandoned.

I think I recall seeing they just changed it so you can't smoke into the fountain? Or maybe past buildings at all?

Some people are just intent on being shitlords :(

I think a little bit of fountain camping while your team / creeps finish the game is fine... But actually dragging out a loss for 5+ minutes instead of just winning is obnoxious. Pros have the benefit of being able to call GG at any time, let me and my 4/5 stacks just /surrender drat it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2021

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Not the person you replied to, but I had a game not too long ago where at the start of the match our mid warned us, "just testing out a new PC" and then after 25 minutes of feeding / smoking AFK into the enemy fountain he abandoned.

I think I recall seeing they just changed it so you can't smoke into the fountain? Or maybe past buildings at all?

Some people are just intent on being shitlords :(

I think a little bit of fountain camping while your team / creeps finish the game is fine... But actually dragging out a loss for 5+ minutes instead of just winning is obnoxious. Pros have the benefit of being able to call GG at any time, let me and my 4/5 stacks just /surrender drat it.

Yah that guy sucks...but at least he's in the confirmation bias bucket and not a universal or repeat problem.

No go play LoL or rocket league. Especially with a four stack you shouldn't be able to quit, imo. The whole point is to keep people from just quitting if they don't like the 20min game state and to give winners the CS on the fountain and a sense of winning (which is sometimes taken from them). Valve can always do more to make sure games end, matches are balanced, and punish people who troll...but having an early gg option in pubs sounds like a loving nightmare to me, esp after seeing how RL games go if the initial voter doesn't get his gg. Maybe after T4s go down I guess I could see it, but still...fountain diving is fun.

But yeah you can't smoke into the fountain now.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2021

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

In the end - what sane human, given the timestamped option to be reflective about how they spend their time, would choose to keep playing a dota game at 20min?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not saying I want to be able to gg at 20 minutes in every pub game. I've definitely turned plenty of games around. But I've also had 35 minute definite losses turn into 45 minute definite losses and if I'm in a full party with my buddies we should be able to just agree to force it to end.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You can always agree as a group not to defend and/or feed, but the fact that doesn't really happen kinda speaks to how it's still part of the fun to play hard or seemingly impossible games. Also fun to be on the other side of the stomp and try to figure out how to end.

Or, alternatively just git gud and never lose and it won't come up.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 16, 2021

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Agree as a group? Buh?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The game immediately ends if all 5 players on a team disconnect for ~30 seconds. If you’re in a 5 stack you can always immediately end the game.

e: hmmm maybe this isn’t true and one player needs to take the abandon? The game definitely ends if all 5 leave, but the first leaver will get hit with an abandon penalty.

Still, one abandon won’t hurt your behavior score and if you have a 5 stack it’s trivial to rotate that.

DNK fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 16, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

ILL Machina posted:

Seemed to come out of nowhere, it might have been an unanswered gank on top early in the match that made them decide to throw as they came to bottom before then and we scored 2 kills in lane over about 5 mins then mid lost the laning phase and then there was a bunch of tit for tat across the map and then he started dropping me in the fountain.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

Seemed to come out of nowhere, it might have been an unanswered gank on top early in the match that made them decide to throw as they came to bottom before then and we scored 2 kills in lane over about 5 mins then mid lost the laning phase and then there was a bunch of tit for tat across the map and then he started dropping me in the fountain.

Rip. I'm waiting to come across some silly io/tiny/tusk griefing in overwatch, but it hasn't delivered yet. Being able to deny your own wards will probably be it's biggest success story.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh I played a game as Wraith King today, needed to harvest Dawnbreaker's bones but after the game (which we did win) she wasn't anywhere on the map for me to actually get credit. drat it IceFrog!!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
my favorite part about playing dota is deciding if I want to play with the boys (who are a mix of heralds and sub 2k behavior scores) and have awful games but with friends, or play solo and have good but boring games. When you have a party with a bad comp it absolutely nukes matchmaking - we probably match with the same pool of 20 people every night on NA east

A concede button would go a long way - sure there are plenty of games where the enemy team can throw or you can claw your way back, but sometimes you just have one or more players who are mentally checked out, tilted, or intentionally feeding and in all these scenarios the best option is to just go next

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
most important part of dota is calling heroes by the deprecated wc3 lore names or heroes of newerth names. bonus for more obscure ones like lucy for lucifer for doom, nortrom, etc.

super mega bonus points for VERY RARE Tequoia the Natures Prophet, short lived valve lore rename.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

anytime you die say "nice champ" it's the most fun a person can have

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

anytime you die say "nice champ" it's the most fun a person can have

Oh poo poo I have to try out this free and legal thrill immediately.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

only ever play dota while in character as Garfield or something

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Smythe posted:

most important part of dota is calling heroes by the deprecated wc3 lore names or heroes of newerth names. bonus for more obscure ones like lucy for lucifer for doom, nortrom, etc.

super mega bonus points for VERY RARE Tequoia the Natures Prophet, short lived valve lore rename.

fuzzy wuzzy and potm of the moon are the best

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I've never been very good at this but I figure I'll try it out via the new player mode and hopefully learn to not suck. I don't know when Turbo mode was created but that's also very appealing to me as I don't like the typical game length much

Is there a way to get in [GOON] or is it all like ranked tryhards who don't want a newbie? The discord link in the OP is out of date and I don't see dotes channels in MPEGS

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

I've never been very good at this but I figure I'll try it out via the new player mode and hopefully learn to not suck. I don't know when Turbo mode was created but that's also very appealing to me as I don't like the typical game length much

Is there a way to get in [GOON] or is it all like ranked tryhards who don't want a newbie? The discord link in the OP is out of date and I don't see dotes channels in MPEGS

Nah, you're welcome there are a half dozen slots left open or so. Its pretty inactive most of the time but there's occasional guild chat. Just find an officer online on steam and ask for an invite.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

A long time ago I played techies ranked so much I got to divine ranking, yes I was quite toxic. However the nerfs and new banning system made it so that I took a long hiatus. When I returned to rerank, lost 9/10 games (not techies), and I got played ancient, even though I am dogshit at any other heros. Still been playing a lot though!

I physically can not play with pubbies anymore and the clan has generally been very inactive unfortunately

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 20, 2021

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Anyone playing Euro TZs?

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Edit: double lag post

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 25, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have like 1600-ish games played over the past 6 years with an 18 month gap in there and I forever oscillate between Guardian and Crusader. Game became a lot more fun when I went from having 1 friend that played to 4 and stopped caring about trying to increase my rank.

And on that note I will add that role queue has been a godsend as a poo poo-tier player. Before it I'd guess maybe 50% of my ranked drafts had people agreeing on who would play which role, the rest were a disaster.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Smythe posted:

COME ON POLLYWOG PRIEST YOU NEED TO TONGUE TIE THEM

l love that this game is so weird people may yell poo poo like this at you

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

COME ON POLLYWOG PRIEST YOU NEED TO TONGUE TIE THEM

l love that this game is so weird people may yell poo poo like this at you

lol poo poo valk can't aim

I had a look and HoN is actually still going strong in niche communities like Australia and Latin America, especially Brazil. The balance is an absolute dumpster fire but that's part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Pom posted:

lol poo poo valk can't aim

I had a look and HoN is actually still going strong in niche communities like Australia and Latin America, especially Brazil. The balance is an absolute dumpster fire but that's part of the charm.

last I heard it totally shut down, huh.

I do miss some of the heroes for sure.