Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I have my second Covid shot tomorrow and half of me is hoping I’m sick for two days so I can call out of the shitshow at work Monday.

We'll, its not like they'll visit you at home to verify, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Wibla posted:

We'll, its not like they'll visit you at home to verify, eh?

They might if you work for a paper company in Scranton PA

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So what are our bets for the SA forums database locking/outage eh?

I’m not a DBA but I’m immensely curious what caused this “corruption”, and for that matter wtf the SA forums infrastructure looks like.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not a DBA but I’m immensely curious what caused this “corruption”, and for that matter wtf the SA forums infrastructure looks like.

My bet is that the Excel spreadsheet ran out of rows.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've not seen any more detailed explanation than what has been in the announcements. It sounds like there was a known issue of database corruption years ago and maybe there have been inconsistencies since then, but that's about it. Definitely outside of my expertise and I'm just a mod that knows computers, not involved on the tech or admin side of things in any way. I do hope we get to hear more about the issue and the current/future architecture, because I've always been curious myself and my take has always been that it didn't sound like Lowtax had a clue with what he was doing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We'd all probably be better off if the archives were lost anyways.

But obviously the only path forward to prevent this ever happening again is migrate the entire site to an ES backend.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

xzzy posted:

We'd all probably be better off if the archives were lost anyways.

But obviously the only path forward to prevent this ever happening again is migrate the entire site to an ES backend.

Read posts from Kibana and create your own dashboards to follownyour favorite shitposters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put everything into Postgres and write your own queries to retrieve archived posts :smuggo:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else work in a highly regulated environment? It's been a frustrating week and I'm just venting here, but I swear to loving god I do like 5 minutes of actual work. 40 hours a week, 25 of those are meetings, 14 hours and 55 minutes is spent figuring out the "paperwork" and getting authorization to make the change, and maybe 5 minutes spent actually doing something. I mean I get it... major financial institution... but drat its frustrating. Still better than my last job, and they pay me well, so maybe I should not bitch at all.

Thanks for listening.

I enjoy working in a wood products manufacturing environment and stuck around partly because of this. We have a very streamlined change process and I attend a minimum amount of meetings. I would rather work in the rear end end of a dusty particle board mill getting a new machine center up over having many hours of meetings to deploy 5 lines of code.

No SOX, no HIPAA, no FIPS, no PCI. Just make robutt go with maximum reliability while the plant is running, and a license to generally do stuff however we deem is best as long as we can sell the idea to management

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I've not seen any more detailed explanation than what has been in the announcements. It sounds like there was a known issue of database corruption years ago and maybe there have been inconsistencies since then, but that's about it. Definitely outside of my expertise and I'm just a mod that knows computers, not involved on the tech or admin side of things in any way. I do hope we get to hear more about the issue and the current/future architecture, because I've always been curious myself and my take has always been that it didn't sound like Lowtax had a clue with what he was doing.

Radium's load-bearing queries finally collapsed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Insulated tables

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Iranian refining facility table.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PCjr sidecar posted:

Iranian refining facility table.

Stairsnet worm.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else work in a highly regulated environment? It's been a frustrating week and I'm just venting here, but I swear to loving god I do like 5 minutes of actual work. 40 hours a week, 25 of those are meetings, 14 hours and 55 minutes is spent figuring out the "paperwork" and getting authorization to make the change, and maybe 5 minutes spent actually doing something. I mean I get it... major financial institution... but drat its frustrating. Still better than my last job, and they pay me well, so maybe I should not bitch at all.

Thanks for listening.

HIPAA here. I've alternated between "this loving sucks, just let me do the thing" and "I didn't feel like doing anything this week anyway, so whatever." It's a double-edged sword.

The best thing we've done to combat the friction has been standardizing the hell out of all of our changes and pre-approving whatever we can. It's taken a few years to get to this point but we're finally at a place where 90% of what we do bypasses CAB and anything that doesn't is probably big enough to warrant that extra attention.

And despite all that, it still takes 15 clicks to close a god drat ticket. :(

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I always liked hiring techs that previously worked in fast food. They typically know how to deal with utter assholes.

As someone who recently started an entry-level role I just really want to echo all of the customer service stuff. I spent 18 years in the restaurant business, left after covid started from a six-figure salaried position and decided I wanted to do IT for a living. I don’t have any *major* certs (I have two from TestOut that are almost literally the same as the A+/Net+ exam but the entire exams are done as interactive labs with little to no multiple choice questions) and no professional IT experience prior to getting this job. I was hired by an MSP that turned out to be a very awesome place to work, my bosses are great and everyone is relaxed and always willing to help/teach.

The managers that hired me made it very clear that even though my technical knowledge was lacking, I was able to:
a. Clearly communicate a logical troubleshooting process to them
and
b. Clearly demonstrate how to handle interactions with all sorts of people and customer service situations without being a dick

My experience before taking the certs I have was limited to building my own computers and hobby stuff. If someone can handle installing windows you can teach them active directory, you can teach them how to terminate a cat6 cable or how to add a license in 365. Google and YouTube can teach you how to replace a part in basically any laptop in existence, right down to the specific model. This is much easier than trying to teach someone how to handle pressure social situations with clients.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
my 3 best entry level hires:

-really good guy we hired to drive the equipment van who had a college degree networking background but no support or "windows/mac"
-head teller at a bank who had a photography degree
-auto mechanic for enterprise

The thing I look for the most is success in different areas. Degree in political science, worked and immediately promoted in IT? Great. Good people take things like critical thinking, writing, research skills away from these degrees and can apply it across the board.

Promoted at a bank? Hell yeah, responsible, customer service, etc.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 18, 2021

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

The Iron Rose posted:

I am actually a SQL Server DBA and was wondering that myself. If an ad-hoc database backup is causing this much chaos, I assume there's a lot of other basic maintenance like index defrags and integrity checks that just straight up haven't been getting done over the past decade or more.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Are you implying that Richard “low tax” kyanka was not staying on top of the people who were working on the website for free

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
what's up with hp.com/hpe.com's ludicrous subdomain naming scheme, random servers going in and out (h20576.www2.hpe.com bookmark might work for a few days and then disappear and you're supposed to just know to find it again at a different host?), trying to iframe a pdf download and pack it with tracking scripts, takes 5 minutes to render a html page

what even is their network? are they hosting like a /8 onprem singlehomed to AT&T? what the gently caress?

why do their "pdf download" pages refuse to load the underlying pdf if you don't allow 30 different tracking services?

why can i not buy something from hpe.com without being redirected to tigerdirect?

why do i have over 400 cookies dropped by hpe.com after ten minutes of browsing, and my history shows several dozen different www2.hpe.com subdomains? who even thought up this ridiculous system?

code:
<meta name="generator" content="HPWeb2013.NET 1.0.0.0" />

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

pastor of muppets posted:

I am actually a SQL Server DBA and was wondering that myself. If an ad-hoc database backup is causing this much chaos, I assume there's a lot of other basic maintenance like index defrags and integrity checks that just straight up haven't been getting done over the past decade or more.

A few years ago when the forums went down I think it was mentioned that they were running on MySQL which will absolutely have problems if you run a backup on the active node.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

That makes sense then, I thought I’d read in one of Jeff’s tech threads last fall that there was only one prod database server running MSSQL, but I may have hallucinated that.

....which makes the fact there was no dev environment if they were only running on MySQL this whole even more :lol:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
does vbulletin even support mssql

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrKatharsis posted:

A few years ago when the forums went down I think it was mentioned that they were running on MySQL which will absolutely have problems if you run a backup on the active node.

Details? I've never heard of this, and have run a small internal database for various management stuff for 15 years and have done fine with a nightly mysqldump and a binary log fur the sub-24 hour period. I've done restores on it too.

Granted, it's a really small database.. it was up to 10gb for a while but it's shrunk a lot since then.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

does vbulletin even support mssql

Just MySQL and MariaDB as of three years ago apparently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you take the time to update your scripts to php dbo you can connect to pretty much any database you can imagine (it has an mssql driver).

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Biowarfare posted:

what's up with hp.com/hpe.com's ludicrous subdomain naming scheme, random servers going in and out (h20576.www2.hpe.com bookmark might work for a few days and then disappear and you're supposed to just know to find it again at a different host?), trying to iframe a pdf download and pack it with tracking scripts, takes 5 minutes to render a html page

what even is their network? are they hosting like a /8 onprem singlehomed to AT&T? what the gently caress?

why do their "pdf download" pages refuse to load the underlying pdf if you don't allow 30 different tracking services?

why can i not buy something from hpe.com without being redirected to tigerdirect?

why do i have over 400 cookies dropped by hpe.com after ten minutes of browsing, and my history shows several dozen different www2.hpe.com subdomains? who even thought up this ridiculous system?

code:

I think the clear answer is that hpe is garbage.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MrKatharsis posted:

What? I've run a MySQL db with percona doing live backups and it work pretty well.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

What? I've run a MySQL db with percona doing live backups and it work pretty well.

You think lowtax was using percona or mariadb and not mysql 4?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Biowarfare posted:

code:

The system seems to not have changes over the last decade. I used to work with a HP software suite (sold to MicroFocus when they split HPE/HP Inc) and their support sites had the same issue.

It looks like it’s some kind of CMS that generates these randomly named urls that look like a hostname but probably aren’t. At least back in the day those links only changed once every x years, usually when the website got updated due to another rebrand or something.

What I’m trying to say is, HP and their website have been garbage for a long time and this is unlikely to change.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
h20195.www2.hpe.com is an alias for literatureserver.glb.itcs.hpe.com.

arguably the load balancer's direct url is more meaningful and useful than the number generator

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Think I accidently undermined one of my techs...

We have a daily managers meeting and on this call we have a temporary manager covering a suspension who out of the blue asks me if a phone can be installed in an office.

For context, my immediate thought was "oh this again" - it's been asked for before, my tech said there is no cabling to that room, so $$$ to sort it, previous manager said not that important and I am guessing the colleague has asked this temp manager because there is someone new to ask. I get that, so that's all fine.

To give you an idea of where I am coming from - I've already had a run in with this manager because she asked me to look at something, I emailed her to say "if you tell me where it is I will come and look" and she didn't reply, but then blamed me for not looking at the equipment and holding things up. She did however email another manager to say she had seen my email so I figure, I'll dot the I and cross the t here and check myself because she is relatively difficult customer at the best of times...

In the end due to complicated reasons irrelevant to the story - we cant install an extra phone because we have ran of extensions and cant get more, but looking at it, I suggested to the person requesting the line we could party line this phone with one of your others as long as you don't need it at the same time - the colleague was happy with this as the point of the request was to get them to do the work in that location when everyone else has gone home, instead of marching across site to their other office 15 mins away.

Awesome, problem solved I thought...

I speak to my tech and I said when you go into the server room tomorrow morning can you patch A to B to make this all work and he was super resistant for no real reason and it became a debate of "if this hasn't been done for so long, why are we doing it now" + "she doesnt really need it, she is just being lazy as that office is closer to the exit" vs "we can make someones life easier and a recurring request go away for the sake of a patch lead"

Having reflected upon the conversation I've guessed that because he said no and I've said yes he's going to feel undermined but he didn't want to admit that.

I mean I could ask him but I don't think he is the sort of person to say "yep you've made me look daft there" otherwise he would have already. I could suggest he tries some patter like " I am going to try something, armadillos idea wont quite work, managers hey? but let me try this - oh look I'm so awesome" and just claim the glory if he feels that way but I think that would just be a further kick in the nuts for this dude.

I think I'm going to have to take it on the chin as I don't think I'm going to get him to come up with the idea of claiming the glory for himself but maybe he will surprise me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I wish I could just show your post to your tech.

Have you tried talking to him about it like an adult? "Hey, so I done hosed up and told $manager that we can probably sort her a phone, even though you said no, I have a suggestion to make you look like a hero anyway, <insert suggestion here>"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

angry armadillo posted:

Think I accidently undermined one of my techs...

We have a daily managers meeting and on this call we have a temporary manager covering a suspension who out of the blue asks me if a phone can be installed in an office.

For context, my immediate thought was "oh this again" - it's been asked for before, my tech said there is no cabling to that room, so $$$ to sort it, previous manager said not that important and I am guessing the colleague has asked this temp manager because there is someone new to ask. I get that, so that's all fine.

To give you an idea of where I am coming from - I've already had a run in with this manager because she asked me to look at something, I emailed her to say "if you tell me where it is I will come and look" and she didn't reply, but then blamed me for not looking at the equipment and holding things up. She did however email another manager to say she had seen my email so I figure, I'll dot the I and cross the t here and check myself because she is relatively difficult customer at the best of times...

In the end due to complicated reasons irrelevant to the story - we cant install an extra phone because we have ran of extensions and cant get more, but looking at it, I suggested to the person requesting the line we could party line this phone with one of your others as long as you don't need it at the same time - the colleague was happy with this as the point of the request was to get them to do the work in that location when everyone else has gone home, instead of marching across site to their other office 15 mins away.

Awesome, problem solved I thought...

I speak to my tech and I said when you go into the server room tomorrow morning can you patch A to B to make this all work and he was super resistant for no real reason and it became a debate of "if this hasn't been done for so long, why are we doing it now" + "she doesnt really need it, she is just being lazy as that office is closer to the exit" vs "we can make someones life easier and a recurring request go away for the sake of a patch lead"

Having reflected upon the conversation I've guessed that because he said no and I've said yes he's going to feel undermined but he didn't want to admit that.

I mean I could ask him but I don't think he is the sort of person to say "yep you've made me look daft there" otherwise he would have already. I could suggest he tries some patter like " I am going to try something, armadillos idea wont quite work, managers hey? but let me try this - oh look I'm so awesome" and just claim the glory if he feels that way but I think that would just be a further kick in the nuts for this dude.

I think I'm going to have to take it on the chin as I don't think I'm going to get him to come up with the idea of claiming the glory for himself but maybe he will surprise me.
If your directs are worried about feeling undermined due to something like this and can't accept the mea culpa, then the issue isn't what you did here, it's what you do the rest of the time to support them. People who feel like you support them through their mistakes will usually support you through yours. Yes, take it on the chin, but also think about whether this is eating into your "unintended accident that made more work for my direct" budget or if you've already outspent it.

Do not spin this as you having done them a favor that they're too stupid to understand until you explain it to them.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I've not done him a favour and I don't care he didn't solve this issue. I'm not bothered who or how it was solved. I tried to ask what the issues were and got a load of silly reasons out of him like we shouldn't do it because it was requested ages ago, therefore they don't need it because they are coping.

I guess if I could have only laid on the you are doing me a massive favour thanks you legend patter even stronger to try and mitigate this

I dunno, it was just a patch in the server room, wasn't expecting a mini meltdown so misjudged that one - my undermining theory was just a guess as I don't think he gave the real reason this was a problem but again- guessing

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

You think lowtax was using percocet or marijuana and not mysql 4?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

angry armadillo posted:

I've not done him a favour and I don't care he didn't solve this issue. I'm not bothered who or how it was solved. I tried to ask what the issues were and got a load of silly reasons out of him like we shouldn't do it because it was requested ages ago, therefore they don't need it because they are coping.

I guess if I could have only laid on the you are doing me a massive favour thanks you legend patter even stronger to try and mitigate this

I dunno, it was just a patch in the server room, wasn't expecting a mini meltdown so misjudged that one - my undermining theory was just a guess as I don't think he gave the real reason this was a problem but again- guessing
Is this from someone who's always responded this way in this kind of situation, someone who almost never responds this way in this kind of situation, or somewhere in the middle? I've been through this with one of my own directs not too long ago, and it can be benign or it can be a big red flag about where their mental health is at.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

You can help save face for a junior guy by saying "My guy is right but I know that your situation is atypical and I've thought of something unusual, which we'd only do as an exception because of your particular situation, which might help." It's the prerogative of bosses to make exceptions, and if he's going to have an attitude around that, then the two of you need to have a serious talk. Upholding the rules is good. When it goes beyond there to looking for reasons not to help people, it's a problem.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Is this from someone who's always responded this way in this kind of situation, someone who almost never responds this way in this kind of situation, or somewhere in the middle? I've been through this with one of my own directs not too long ago, and it can be benign or it can be a big red flag about where their mental health is at.

Id say over time we've gone from someone who always responds in this way to someone who has a good spell then a patch of clangers.
Like for example at the same time as this story someone said to me "hey aa, have a word with tech and his attitude - he came in and I said hey tech youre in early! :) and he replied - no I'm not, this is when I always come in!!" And barked at her - I was obviously like aww I'm sure he just needed coffee but yes please tell me more, maybe something I'm unaware of is driving this behind the scenes

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You can help save face for a junior guy by saying "My guy is right but I know that your situation is atypical and I've thought of something unusual, which we'd only do as an exception because of your particular situation, which might help." It's the prerogative of bosses to make exceptions, and if he's going to have an attitude around that, then the two of you need to have a serious talk. Upholding the rules is good. When it goes beyond there to looking for reasons not to help people, it's a problem.

actually editing this in - following the points above - i'd say he reacts badly to doing things he doesnt come up with himself almost all the time and we kinda have a relationship where he might have a flap at something, I might let's say raise an eyebrow and let him get over himself on his own but then every so often, he will just get a crazy idea in his head that he doesnt want to do something for reasons which seem ~random~

i am guessing we are honing in on something that needs support in some way but it probably needs to start with me saying look we can help you here if you want. I'm not quite sure how we do it but our company is huge I'm sure we can find the right support somewhere

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Did we have a office chair thread? I need a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There used to be one, I just bought my wife an autonomous office chair, it's pretty good, pricey but not as pricey as a new steelcase/other big brands.

My big beef with it is that the arm rests slide forward and back, which is good, except they don't seem to lock in place, which is bad/annoying; otherwise it's a drat comfortable chair and I will probably buy one for myself in 3-6 months.