Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hmmm I wonder what else those people who declared the Bolsheviks not 'representing' them declared at that parliament, could that have played into why party leadership decided 'nah you don't get to throw this all off the rails'??? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Because of my military experience I tend to really hate military stuff in movies because none of it ever makes sense.

Generally people who are admirals/generals are pretty easy going and likable team players (Not always, but it's pretty standard). It's a very important part of being an actual leader of human beings. If you're an awful rear end in a top hat who hoards information you don't usually make it past the lower ranks.

I watched her interactions and knew a person like that would have gotten fragged on their first mission as a junior officer.

Yeah it's almost like leadership means getting your underlings to trust you, rather than being the smartest person in the room ordained from on high to be in charge and demanding blind obedience based on that, y'know, like Rian Johnson being put in charge of Star Wars oh snap

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also the big issue in early 1918 was that the remaining SRs wanted to continue fighting the war, which was suicidal at that point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Yinlock posted:

lest we get too deep into trump thread delusion, let's not forget that hero of the common man donald j trump renovated the white house to line everything with eye-searing gold

while that would've been really funny it seems you're already a victim of this sickness, because this didn't actually happen

he mostly just swapped back in clinton's mustard oval office curtains and bought a couple gold eagle statues and poo poo, and replaced the HVAC

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Yeah it's almost like leadership means getting your underlings to trust you, rather than being the smartest person in the room ordained from on high to be in charge and demanding blind obedience based on that, y'know, like Rian Johnson being put in charge of Star Wars oh snap

It makes sense when you realise she's actually just Hillary Clinton

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

rian johnson loving sucks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

he owns

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say as far as contemporary media goes, i don’t think isn’t possible to write decent fiction without gray areas and that isn’t possible in the increasing Cold War-seque milieu of present day America. There is a reason that comic book films are dominate, it is just cutting to the chase.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

They should let Rian Johnson do a recut of ROS

They should let rainn wilson do one

Then let Wilson phillips do one

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

I loving hated everything about purple lady

She could have made the entire movie's conflict not happen by just, like, telling a single solitary person that they were flying toward something rather than nothing, but instead she just kind of didn't tell anyone because she was, like, offended that everyone didn't immediately trust her with their very lives right after hearing about her existence, and I'm supposed to forgive her for that because her plan B involved dying??? No gently caress off

They should have mutinied and she was a garbage tier captain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacemang_spliff posted:

They should have mutinied and she was a garbage tier captain

the problem that Admiral Halsey ran into was that any legitimate criticism of her was buried in all the misogyny

weird how liberals figured out that you can start leveraging that deliberately!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WorkerThread posted:

we should bring back fragging

It was essentially a labor action when you think about it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sexpig by night posted:

My beef with Lenin always was how he was so certain he was right about his interpretation of Marxism that he could brook no challengers to his party's ideals. When there was an actual parliament established with different parties representing the actual people which then decided that the Bolsheviks didn't represent their ideals or what they wanted, he and the Bolsheviks declared them counterrevolutionary, purged quite a few of them and declared that any congress only existed at the behest of and to support the politburo, which was the True Party of The People.

To be fair, many academics in this era were from noble families, wealthy landowners (the actual wealthy peasants not the poor fuckers with barely over 8 acres) or the bourgeoisie. Turns out educated people are useful, though, and Lenin himself was educated.

Lenin let the left-SRs in the government for a while but who else was there to make a government with? kerensky was a right-SR and the menshikviks split over joining the reds or the whites

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Hey I said I had beef with Lenin because he was a "my version of Marxism is right and no one else's is" antidemocratic rear end in a top hat.

I do not have a beef Marxism.

You make the government the people want, you don't foist your high minded ideas on them and when they disagree say they aren't doing it right. The Reds won the war but plenty of people thought it would mean real representation as well as mutual economic benefit and freedom from oppression. The got more oppression.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh god i was fooled

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
you were, comrade.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lol, lmao. loving hell.

Imagine thinking the peasants gave a gently caress about voting or democracy.

They just wanted the guys hoarding the land to piss off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The people wanted peace, land, and bread.

Who else was going to give them that? Even the "peace" part was something that any possible coalition government split over.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah the largest party was the right SRs who basically had no structure and couldn’t agree on anything beyond some vague concept of land reform.

Also, yeah the war was a bit of an issue.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also you can look up what Marx thought about peasants. You don't have to do any guessing on his account or argue about interpretation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Abrams tries to make everything exciting, which makes nothing exciting, which makes nothing in the film memorable because all of that excitement is just artificially manufactured with music and swooping visuals.

I think there's also something formulaic, though I couldn't tell you exactly what the details of the formula in question are. It just feels like his movies seamlessly transition from scene to scene without you ever "digesting" anything.

The second Star Wars sequel movie is the only one that I got anything out of. I don't think it was good exactly, but I can at least remember its events and it wasn't predictable 100% of the time.

KaptainKrunk posted:

he's not actually good at anything. you could take your average film school student and drop them in JJ's shoes, with the same support around him, and probably have a 50-50 shot of making something better

I'm pretty sure that if an average film school student made something, it would at least have some kind of "texture" to it, even if it was bad. Abrams makes things uncannily smooth and featureless.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Apr 18, 2021

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i thought TFA and TLJ were fine. nothing id go out of my way to see again but i didnt regret paying money to see them

ROS was something i thought was impossible - a boring star wars film

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like boring to the point where i was checking my phone every ten minutes. nothing means anything and stupid poo poo assails you from every angle. MASSIVE STAR DESTROYER FLEET OUT OF NOWHERE! SOME BOUNTY HUNTER CHICK WHO APPEARS FOR TEN MINUTES AND KNOWS ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS AND IS NEVER SEEN AGAIN! SOY BANTER!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
^TFA was decent, but TLJ sucked and I stopped watching^

Not saying the peasants did. But plenty of other groups did.

Yea, the other parties wanted to fight the Bolshiveks and start a new assembly. When they got spanked they bitched that the Bolshiveks and their allies illegally seized power.

nothing bad ever happened when someone declared that they represented what the people REALLY wanted/needed and started making decisions based on their own beliefs because of it. I disagree with what Lenin did with his power and that he wouldn't compromise whatsoever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Only recently (like within the last couple months or so) did I encounter the term "soy banter" to refer to this specific sort of thing, but it's a genuinely strange cultural affect that seems to be the result of wealthy Hollywood/media people incestuously creating some sort of cultural abomination. Like people set out to create "witty banter" and then it evolved into this sort of thing over time.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lightfoot might be resigning?

https://twitter.com/catlynsavado/status/1383622943150727174?s=21

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If there's one thing we've learned recently it's that dem leaders can ride out literally anything by saying some nice words and sitting tight for 2 weeks. I would not place a bet on her resigning lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Taffer posted:

If there's one thing we've learned recently it's that dem leaders can ride out literally anything by saying some nice words and sitting tight for 2 weeks. I would not place a bet on her resigning lol

lots of rumors going around about something coming out tomorrow, maybe it’s bullshit......

https://twitter.com/soit_goes/status/1383631250523529228?s=21
https://twitter.com/jaymalgreen/status/1383624759150202884?s=21

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

would be pretty funny for lightfoot to resign after loving up chicago as bad as she did and then get a position in the biden admin

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wait how does I'm going to retract it work you just said it

Maybe that's the joke and it's late and I'm not getting it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

U-DO Burger posted:

would be pretty funny for lightfoot to resign after loving up chicago as bad as she did and then get a position in the biden admin

DHS

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hey if theyre collecting lovely dem mayors they should snap up "teargas jenny" durkan of seattle

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Only recently (like within the last couple months or so) did I encounter the term "soy banter" to refer to this specific sort of thing, but it's a genuinely strange cultural affect that seems to be the result of wealthy Hollywood/media people incestuously creating some sort of cultural abomination. Like people set out to create "witty banter" and then it evolved into this sort of thing over time.

its likely joss whedons fault

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
all the freaks and perverts that liked whedon in the 90s got jobs in the film industry and ruined everything forever, yeah

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this is Lightfoot's biggest city council ally
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1383425339200720903?s=20
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1383426743541800968?s=20
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1383392726687772680?s=20

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

i googled this term and there's one relevant link to a matt christman tweet and the rest is just candles lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lightfoot is spreading the rumors herself so she can lecture everyone tomorrow about how she's the victim of a vicious rumor campaign.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

they soy bant now? they soy bant now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/cholent_lover/status/1383611050415706116?s=20
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1383236634720702474?s=20

cops are upset they have to protect Lightfoot (who they hate) from protestors (who they also hate), so they're are trying to oust Lightfoot with a sex scandal?