Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How long have UFC been using that "4D" Camera? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Has this 4D/CBS Eye/ESP360 poo poo ever looked good ever?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Like the UFC's own theme, it has nothing to do with being good and everything to do with being fuggin sweet

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Stephens is such a fuckwit, he should get fined or cut (should've cut already)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

Like the UFC's own theme, it has nothing to do with being good and everything to do with being fuggin sweet

I'll be honest we're all still chasing that "first time you see The Matrix" dragon.

Edit: Huh that was maybe not the full description of the Klose situation I expected. I figured pulling the hell out of something while tripping back not this. Either way gently caress Stephens

J33uk fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 18, 2021

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

jeremy stephens had to show us how much he wants to fight the guy he was literally scheduled to fight in a cage. he just couldnt wait

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is that the first time a fighter has injured his opponent at the weigh in face off?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Closest I can think of

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-gKilvZZsU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

A wild GDT appears

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it was exactly what i thought it was going to be lol

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
lol people saying stephens should be cut for shoving a guy. fighters have been shoving each other at weigh-ins since weigh ins were a thing, was he supposed to know that he was going to hurt the guy? it was a freak accident. its like saying the production guy that laid down the cable that tony ferguson tripped on and got hurt should be fired. get a grip

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol people saying stephens should be cut for shoving a guy. fighters have been shoving each other at weigh-ins since weigh ins were a thing, was he supposed to know that he was going to hurt the guy? it was a freak accident. its like saying the production guy that laid down the cable that tony ferguson tripped on and got hurt should be fired. get a grip

is this a taping joke

e. mixed up grip and gaffer

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mean Bean Machine posted:

this is a stupid argument.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Kish needs to go to her special anti-grappling move, it's time.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I agree that Jeremy shouldn't get special punishment for doing something that is actively publicized. Whether they should start punishing that is a different conversation, but Jeremy didn't do anything out of line.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

he assaulted a dude on camera and injured him lmao. im an iowan who loves stephens as a fighter but to say he did nothing wrong when he literally committed a crime is funny to me.

does it happen? sure. would klose be a giant colby nerd pressing charges? sure. should the ufc punish him for loving up a card? i doubt they will but i wouldn't be pissed if they did. you don't need to do shenanigans to sell a show on basic cable

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I dont think he should be cut but give Klose his purse

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ufc not gonna do poo poo, they literally used the shove as their title card on their youtube video for the weigh-ins lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I just want them to cut him because i think he's a shithead. But yea, consequences should be different when you're causing bout-cancelling injuries, that's not just a harmless push anymore, obviously.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/drakkarklose/status/1383570412622082051

Good one, Jeremy

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Askren :lol: least he got a decent pay day

https://streamable.com/xo4gik

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

lol it should cover the hip replacement surgery at least

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm almost sad either of them got paid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So having only been exposed to Askren through his brief run in UFC, is he a performance artist who doesn't actually know how to fight and just portrays a character who is supposed to be a world class fighter, and this is all some Kaufmann-level genius act?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Digital Jedi posted:

The clip immediately opening with someone going "what the gently caress?" is perfect

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ben Askren is a legitimate fighter who just had a bad UFC run. He would wrestle you to paste and you either found it extremely boring or like myself.... found it to extremely rule as all his opponents just lost their mind trying to get this man off of them for 25 minutes.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

But yeah he would be the create-a-fighter who just poured attribute points into wrestling.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

where'd you get this HD footage of lowtax vs uwe boll?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Askren trains with CM Punk. I'm sure Ben picked up a thing or two about selling

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know no one here is dumb enough to poo poo on the guy for getting injured from that push but just thinking about it today- given that was the weigh in (not sure if that push was the ceremonial one or real one, but regardless) all the fighters showing up are going to be the most gaunt, frail, injury prone and hosed up they're ever gonna be.

like literally one or two glasses of water from mortal kombat "finish him" dizzy. I never thought about it til now but with all that going on, they really should start punishing fighters for any kind of excessive shoving like that one :frogbon:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

nordichammer posted:

I agree that Jeremy shouldn't get special punishment for doing something that is actively publicized. Whether they should start punishing that is a different conversation, but Jeremy didn't do anything out of line.

Maybe it shouldn't be normalized that fighters can assault each other the day before they legally do it in a cage for money because look, consequences

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jerusalem posted:

So having only been exposed to Askren through his brief run in UFC, is he a performance artist who doesn't actually know how to fight and just portrays a character who is supposed to be a world class fighter, and this is all some Kaufmann-level genius act?

no he was an actual world class wrestler who decided to fight in mma and do absolutely nothing else except wrestle. it's like if someone challenged melvin manhoef to a grappling match lol

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Jerusalem posted:

BJJ Scout is a very good youtube channel when it comes to grappling (also some pretty good striking videos) and he had a whole series on Askren. I watched them when he joined the UFC and he seems to be a pretty good fighter, but he's never focused on striking and he's old.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKb7D4fR_VOgs8WBoqYmO_G8MZexCK48_

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Jerusalem posted:

he really hosed up his hip along the way after wrestling for thirty years, but he is game enough to take any paycheck that comes his way instead of protecting his ego

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

no he was an actual world class wrestler who decided to fight in mma and do absolutely nothing else except wrestle.

And then he accepted a BOXING match? :stare:

Still, if he got paid well then good for him!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jerusalem posted:

his opponent has been boxing for a little over a year. askren has been training striking with world class trainers and elite strikers for literally ten times that long.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jerusalem posted:

yeah i think he just wanted the paycheck, he's never given a single poo poo about striking or any part of MMA that wasn't wrestling and i don't think that changed for this fight. his hip is also completely hosed. i think he knew exactly what was gonna happen but for 600k or however much getting punched by a journeyman isn't that bad.

compare to someone like gilbert burns who took to striking like a fish takes to water.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jerusalem posted:

Accepted a boxing match against a guy two weight classes above him because he knew it was bullshit just for show.

With how fat askren was to make weight, I’d be surprised if he trained at all for this “fight.”

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Askren made about 50% of his entire pro fighting career's disclosed earnings last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Askren made about 50% of his entire pro fighting career's disclosed earnings last night.

i'd be grinning like an idiot too if i spent like 2 decades trying real hard then showed up to some dumbass boxing event out of shape to get punched by a youtuber and made the same amount of money