Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The best thing to make combat easier is to remember that you are an engineer and can build stuff.
This is true for exploration as well. No need to find a path up or do jumping puzzle stuff when you can just build a ladder (or a stack of containers, they have ladders on their side)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

drat there's a rifle?

Yes, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DnNKKIfrM

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I use the passive mod :agesilaus:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there an easy way to determine where I should be placing pumps along a line? I try staggering them but no matter what I do I seem to have issues getting fluids to do my bidding in this game. Should I be using pumps right out of the extractors? Placing them every couple of meters? Are they always necessary or only when trying to pump up?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

explosivo posted:

Is there an easy way to determine where I should be placing pumps along a line? I try staggering them but no matter what I do I seem to have issues getting fluids to do my bidding in this game. Should I be using pumps right out of the extractors? Placing them every couple of meters? Are they always necessary or only when trying to pump up?

Pumps are purely for vertical lift, there's no point in placing them periodically along a flat pipe. If you click once when placing a pump it will show an animation of a blue ring running along the pipe and stopping at the point where your headlift maxes out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perfect, thank you! I noticed the blue headlift indicator but wasn't sure if that's what it was or if it was purely for showing flow direction.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

explosivo posted:

drat there's a rifle? I didn't even know there was a map. I should probably get back on that MAM now that I have T7/8 in the works.

You're going to really enjoy blazing down the Sulfur tree.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are the zipline and hoverpack on tier 7/8? I haven’t unlocked it yet on this save so I should get going on that I suppose.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Zipline is along the caterium research tree

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I thought I knew what perfection was then I saw this

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1383566319455375365

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure what the problem is here.
One ore line split into 2 smelters, but one is always full while the other is empty.
Tried tearing the conveyors down and rebuilding and also tried giving the one on the left a 2x conveyor.
I split my other lines with no problems, but why is this one giving me problems?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

OgNar posted:

One ore line split into 2 smelters, but one is always full while the other is empty.
Tried tearing the conveyors down and rebuilding and also tried giving the one on the left a 2x conveyor.
I split my other lines with no problems, but why is this one giving me problems?

Do both smelters start from empty or is the one on the right already filled up causing it to back up on the conveyor?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OgNar posted:

The one that's always full is also full of iron ingots, so it's idle and not making more ingots. If you use ingots faster, it'll start working again.

Everything in the game works by "pull", not by "push". If a machine is idle -- yellow light pole & resources backed up -- it's because the next stage of production isn't pulling fast enough. (And that's not really a big problem, idle machines don't use power. In the world of infinite resources, it doesn't super matter if you're not using 100% of them 100% of the time.)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OgNar posted:

The yellow light means production is paused because output is full, what's going on at the other end? Are the outputs being used unevenly? Everything in the screenshot looks fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked the buggy and man this thing is a lot more fun to drive around than the tractor. Also got some geothermal plants up just as my fuel shortage looms which has given me a lot more time to figure out that whole situation. Batteries make dealing with power issues so much more forgiving now, holy poo poo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

What does the output side look like? Are you evenly using the production? An iron smelter uses/produces 30 per minute.

VVV Yeah, a rods producer uses 15 per minute. 1 smelter can feed 2. e. or is it 10 for 3?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 18, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hmm, I think that smelter is Rods for frame production, thats always a slow one.
Maybe i'll split it for another Plate line.

Thanks

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
e:nm

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

OgNar posted:

I'm gonna pull a lv1 tech support move and ask if you checked if they're both clocked the same.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OgNar posted:

Hmm, I think that smelter is Rods for frame production, thats always a slow one.

Thanks

unless you're putting out more total iron per second than your current fastest belt can handle, you should merge output from all the smelters then split it again as needed

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

OgNar posted:

Thanks

Seems to me like you're using all the ore and if you want to make more iron, you'll need to find more ore.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I dunno why people are so scared of the hostile animals they're all a loving joke. Here's the secret: step to the side.

Literally every enemy can be dumpstered with the starting weapon and this basic strategy. I find the big spiders to be even easier because they have such a huge windup on their attack, you can just circle around them and kill them before their stupid animation even finishes.

I don't even bother making the ranged weapons because they're all overly expensive trash. The xenobasher is more than enough.

Edit: I will make an exception for the nobelisk because it's hilarious to john madden a spitter from 100 yards away with a C4 bomb.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Just checking to see if I've set up this manifold properly. It's been a while since I played. I split the end lines to another assembler so I'm using all of the output for reinforced plates.

Mr. Angry
Jan 20, 2012
The ratios are correct but you're missing an intermediate step for the screws: you need 2 constructors to make 30/min iron rods followed by 3 constructors to make 120/min screws. If you have the cast screw alternate recipe you can produce the screws directly from ingots with ~3 constructors but the ratios should stay the same.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Angry posted:

The ratios are correct but you're missing an intermediate step for the screws: you need 2 constructors to make 30/min iron rods followed by 3 constructors to make 120/min screws. If you have the cast screw alternate recipe you can produce the screws directly from ingots with ~3 constructors but the ratios should stay the same.

Should have said I was using an alternate recipe for screws with a slight overclock on them both so they're 15 in/60 out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Screws are the actual most complex product in the game. So many times I've had to tear an installation up to expand for MORE SCREWS.

That alternate recipe helps a lot.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Even though I've got all the ratios set up properly and it looks correct I'm still only getting 80% or so on the final reinforced plate output so I'm not sure if it's still wrong somehow.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Started my brand new update 4 factory! I still don't think it takes too long to get coal rolling. There's just enough time for you to make a chainsaw, automate solid biofuel, make a bunch, start burning through it faster than your collecting it, worry about running out, and then suddenly you get coal before you do.

Also its wild just how many screws you need vs literally any other part in the game, even as early as the reinforced plates + rotors stage. I ran out to my nearest crash site and grabbed my first hard drive and scored Casted Screws first try! I immediately deleted a bunch of constructors, freeing up a bunch of power at the point when it actually matters which is pretty great.

Concrete stacking to 500 is maybe the biggest game-changer I've seen so far, especially when you're first paving your factory

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Even though I've got all the ratios set up properly and it looks correct I'm still only getting 80% or so on the final reinforced plate output so I'm not sure if it's still wrong somehow.

Are all the machines and belts fully loaded with materials? That's the thing that puts some people off from manifolds, they have a long startup time before reaching full production, unless you manually load the machine and belts with material beforehand so everything is backed up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'll give that a shot, they've been running for a while so I figured it'd be backed up by now. It could have been a power blip too. I'm just getting my coal online now so I'll go back and finagle with it. My rotor manifold is working perfectly fine though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just checking to see if I've set up this manifold properly. It's been a while since I played. I split the end lines to another assembler so I'm using all of the output for reinforced plates.

The spot where your ore is going into the smelter manifold, you have labeled 60 / 60. But each smelter uses 30, so the belt feeding the rest of the manifold needs to be carrying 90 to the 3 other smelters. If you have a mk1 belt, there the smelters at the end will only get 15 (just as you've drawn on the pic) and be starved for ore.

When thinking about / planning manifolds, don't look at the splitters as being 50/50 or ⅓rds splits. You're ignoring their basic ratios in favor of using the automatic overflow. You strictly look at the supply needed for each machine, count up starting from the far end, and use the belt required for the count.

30, 60, 90 (switch to mk2 belt), 120, 150 (switch to mk3 belt), 180, etc.

xzzy posted:

Screws are the actual most complex product in the game. So many times I've had to tear an installation up to expand for MORE SCREWS.

That alternate recipe helps a lot.

In the early game the best alternate recipes are definitely about solving the Screw Problem, with either cast / steel screws or by picking alts that avoid using screws.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maybe a dumb question but when it comes to figuring out ratios like in that image, how are you all figuring out what you want your output to be? Is it just eyeballing a number you think you can achieve with your input or are you specifically factoring in a product you're trying to make with (in this example) those screws that makes you land on shooting for 120 screws/m? What do you do when you need to expand in that case? I've always played this game by trying to flood the conveyors with enough products so I don't have to worry about ratios but I'm beginning to understand why you can't always do that and am trying to go back and repair some jank parts of my factory that I made before I understood this concept.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Maybe a dumb question but when it comes to figuring out ratios like in that image, how are you all figuring out what you want your output to be? Is it just eyeballing a number you think you can achieve with your input or are you specifically factoring in a product you're trying to make with (in this example) those screws that makes you land on shooting for 120 screws/m? What do you do when you need to expand in that case? I've always played this game by trying to flood the conveyors with enough products so I don't have to worry about ratios but I'm beginning to understand why you can't always do that and am trying to go back and repair some jank parts of my factory that I made before I understood this concept.

Personally, I tend to plan my factories "vertically" - that is, I target a particular output, then work backwards from that to figure out what I need to put in and work out all the intermediate processing. I built a spreadsheet to help with all the calculations, but there are online tools too.

When I want to expand, I do it again, building a separate facility to make this new batch of versatile frameworks or what have you. Depending on the complexity of the product and the available resources this can either be a whole new factory in a new part of the map, or just paving over an existing one and building up on the next floor.

Satisfactory doesn't get on too well with trying to do a bus-like system like Factorio; the belts don't have enough throughput for it. The highest tier belts in Satisfactory have the same throughput as the basic tier-1 belts in Factorio. It doesn't take a lot of factories to consume more iron plates than your current highest tier of belt can supply.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 19, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tenebrais posted:

Personally, I tend to plan my factories "vertically" - that is, I target a particular output, then work backwards from that to figure out what I need to put in and work out all the intermediate processing. I built a spreadsheet to help with all the calculations, but there are online tools too.

When I want to expand, I do it again, building a separate facility to make this new batch of versatile frameworks or what have you. Depending on the complexity of the product and the available resources this can either be a whole new factory in a new part of the map, or just paving over an existing one and building up on the next floor.

Satisfactory doesn't get on too well with trying to do a bus-like system like Factorio; the belts don't have enough throughput for it. The highest tier belts in Satisfactory have the same throughput as the basic tier-1 belts in Factorio. It doesn't take a lot of factories to consume more iron plates than your current highest tier of belt can supply.

Got it, thank you for this. I've kind of been doing it this way, I have a few separate facilities now and either belt them in or bring them in via train then find *somewhere* up stream that I can plug it into with a merger to fill it up. Definitely going to have to do this with screws for my next project. I think if I started from scratch knowing what I know now I could do things differently so probably most of my frustrations are coming from trying to work with what I've got, which is why I've given up and started making offshoot factories anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I go by the final product, like rotors for example. A fully supplied factory makes 4 a minute and (if I remember right) need 100 screws a minute. So then you need three screw constructors to keep that input full. Which needs two iron rod constructors (they produce 15 a minute, screw constructors use 10 rods a minute). This ratio isn't perfect (too many screws) but I'm not obsessive enough to make sure it's perfect. I'm happy to be close as long as the final step isn't ever sitting idle.

When it's expansion time I upgrade the belt and add a couple constructors. If I notice belts running empty I'll go look for a new source of iron ore and build a new assembly line off that.

For more advanced parts I cheat with power slugs, I stuff the factory with as many ingredients as I can and hope overclocking gets things fast enough to save a massive refactor (which works, for a while).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think a lot of times my issue is I'm setting up factories for an intermediary product like steel pipes without necessarily intending on using them to supply another chain, but then I realize later I need a factory making X so I plug into the steel pipes factory. I guess at that point I should be looking to see what product X needs so I can add to the steel pipes if needed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that's basically what the game is. "Oops this new widget needs steel pipes, I can tap into this steel pipe belt over here but it's gonna starve something else so I should run off and figure out a way to make more steel pipes."

Repeat x 1000 for every part in the game.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, instead of planning ahead and making as many whatevers as I need, I instead just try to leave room to overclock a miner and add more machines when I need more

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got sucked into doing that (pulling intermediate materials out) and it just ends in tears. I think the better way to do it is to upgrade the miners or overclock them so the existing factory gets the same amount but can split off and build a new factory. Since the only scarcity is the number of the resource nodes.

Also updating factories with new unlocked recipes is good too, but just by building a new one next to the required resources then switching over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

The spot where your ore is going into the smelter manifold, you have labeled 60 / 60. But each smelter uses 30, so the belt feeding the rest of the manifold needs to be carrying 90 to the 3 other smelters. If you have a mk1 belt, there the smelters at the end will only get 15 (just as you've drawn on the pic) and be starved for ore.

When thinking about / planning manifolds, don't look at the splitters as being 50/50 or ⅓rds splits. You're ignoring their basic ratios in favor of using the automatic overflow. You strictly look at the supply needed for each machine, count up starting from the far end, and use the belt required for the count.

30, 60, 90 (switch to mk2 belt), 120, 150 (switch to mk3 belt), 180, etc.

In the early game the best alternate recipes are definitely about solving the Screw Problem, with either cast / steel screws or by picking alts that avoid using screws.

Thanks for the info! So this would be an actual correct overflow system? So you really ignore the belt splitting ratios, you just account for how much each machine actually consumes and then subtract that from your input amount?

I was also having trouble with my coal power plant for the same reason I think. The last 4 plants would just not get enough fuel even though the first 4 were full and the belts were saturated. But now it works!