Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tony Blair apparently being really religious (to the point where the Iraq War was justified partially by being a new Crusade) and wanting to be God Emperor of the EU after that

Yo what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

Yo what the gently caress?

I didn't know this either, but I'm sure everyone remembers learning years after the fact that GWB was talking about Gog and Magog in the Middle East in the lead-up to the war.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Low Desert Punk posted:

We have caught and compromised to a permanent end... Osama Bin Laden

*salutes*

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S02BHmWPZNs&feature=youtu.be

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

vyelkin posted:

Somebody thought they were being very clever leaving behind a note to their successor that said "I'm terribly sorry but there is no money" and guaranteed the UK decades of conservative darkness as a result

Liam Byrne spent years being suicidal because of that.

"We've eliminated boom and bust." - Gordon Brown (2000)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
e: wtf

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thinking about junkyard polecat sometimes and smiling in public

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tony Blair apparently being really religious (to the point where the Iraq War was justified partially by being a new Crusade) and wanting to be God Emperor of the EU after that

didn't stop him from boinking Rupert Murdoch's wife (divorced now lol) who is possibly a PRC spy

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Bush and Blair prayed together

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dreylad posted:

I didn't know this either, but I'm sure everyone remembers learning years after the fact that GWB was talking about Gog and Magog in the Middle East in the lead-up to the war.
French PM at the time - was it Chirac? - had to literally call up a fuckin priest to find out who/what they even were because he had never heard the names before lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Tim Hudak

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Tim Hudak

imagine making your core election promise "I will fire 100 000 people."

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lmfao maybe sorkin shouldn’t have quit the drugs

what the hell is this

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The Coldplay soundtrack really makes it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1vrO6iL0U

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wtf an actual ok scene from the Newsroom.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that guy posts in the climate change thread

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1132101053929984000

Also, on an unrelated note, Trump propping up Kanye 2020

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Feldegast42 posted:

lol wtf is this show jesus loving christ

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've said it before but I've never been sure if Aaron Sorkin is partly a cause of neoliberal brainworms or only a symptom but either thought terrifies me

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

DACK FAYDEN posted:

French PM at the time - was it Chirac? - had to literally call up a fuckin priest to find out who/what they even were because he had never heard the names before lmao

Chirac is an idiot everyone knows it's Kid Rock's breakout hit from the 90s

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

Chirac is an idiot everyone knows it's Kid Rock's breakout hit from the 90s

Gog and Magog, da bang, da dang diggy diggy, diggy, said the boogie, said up jump the boogie

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I imagine this priest going " the gently caress is this poo poo?"

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

I've said it before but I've never been sure if Aaron Sorkin is partly a cause of neoliberal brainworms or only a symptom but either thought terrifies me

Every single member of the Obama administration was directly influenced by the West Wing and all of their actions reflected the attitudes and performances in that show.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The ideology was thick in the air, but reality would not change.

A loving turtleman single handedly stifled the poo poo out of Obama's dumb administration lol

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Feldegast42 posted:

Genuinely hate this. HATE this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh gently caress :barf:

I thought West Wing was the worst American TV I'd ever seen but this purloins the pastry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I thought West Wing was the worst American TV I'd ever seen but this purloins the pastry.

yeah The Newsroom can be/is a lot worse because it's a fawning retrospective on actual events of the Obama presidency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jud_b0wT_h4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_aQiTgcLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKsUwe2TLio

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

It's both op

He was a symptom of the Clintonites but then his material was so influential that it in turn helped cause the Obamaites

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wow that Newsroom poo poo is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Now consider they are talking about Gabby Giffords. Not a serial-numbers-removed version, it's her.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump spent the same amount of time in the White House.

Carter appointed no Supreme Court justices. Trump appointed one third of the court.

Also Carter gave up his family's farm. Trump continued enriching himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah, that's why I was surprised at the climate doomer clip. The Newsroom might be the worst thing Aaron Sorkin ever did, and he's dogshit.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump spent the same amount of time in the White House.

Carter appointed no Supreme Court justices. Trump appointed one third of the court.

Also Carter gave up his family's farm. Trump continued enriching himself.

Carter shutdown the government five times because of his opposition to legalized abortion.

It makes sense that Carter was the first president who started sending money to the Taliban.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Now watch the lovely show he made about fake Saturday Night Live

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The climate interview on Newsroom is so loving stupid - "the first person that will be killed by climate change has already been born" as if hurricanes and flooding and poo poo aren't already ravaging half the world

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, that's why I was surprised at the climate doomer clip. The Newsroom might be the worst thing Aaron Sorkin ever did, and he's dogshit.

The climate doomer clip is allowed to be good on the basis that it's supposed to be a joke - you're supposed to laugh at the absurdity of this completely deadpanning a hopeless future while Will is unable to tease any kind of positive outlook from him.

It's still bad in the sense that it's presented as something that the audience isn't necessarily intended to believe because the guy is just way too pessimistic, and the takeaway is focused on the back-and-forth between him and Will and not about anything the dude actually says about the environment.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
paul ryan

that's it, just paul ryan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

paul ryan

that's it, just paul ryan

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paul Ryan barging into a homeless shelter to clean dishes so badly they had to redo everything once the cameras were gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

the insane gym photoshoot was actually done on location in a gym, but the photographer (who specializes in making famous people look bad) put up a blue paper background so it looked like it was in a studio

lmao