Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My Air finally arrived and this is probably the most solid feeling laptop I've ever owned. Thing feels like a god drat brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

My Air finally arrived and this is probably the most solid feeling laptop I've ever owned. Thing feels like a god drat brick.

put crossover on it and try running some windows games

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to clean a screen that's susceptible to "staingate"? My girlfriend's laptop is a 2016 MBP that is known for the issue and she has the tiniest of all marks from it in the upper right hand corner of her screen.

I googled the issue back then and everyone was essentially like "yeah, just don't put anything on it" and that's what we've been doing. If she has any fingerprints or smudges, we just use a quick microfiber cloth.

Well, today that's kinda not possible. She spilled coffee on the screen itself -- and I mean just the screen. It didn't come into contact with any edges, any places where coffee could seep into, and now we're wondering how we actually clean the screen. Does she just have to live with the coffee forever or is there some safe way to clean it without risking more stains?

I thought WOOSH cleaners were approved and used in Apple stores. So that's what I use for the occasional cleaning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Path of Exile works on an M1 Mac. I don’t know if it’s native or not, but ya know... poo poo

Also it runs stupid well on a M1 Air with 8GB. Amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jokes posted:

Path of Exile works on an M1 Mac. I don’t know if it’s native or not, but ya know... poo poo

Also it runs stupid well on a M1 Air with 8GB. Amazing.

people stopped posting poo poo about getting existing mac games to run on M1, as well as windows games to run via crossover/vm

for a while there was a flurry of activity but now it’s really quiet on that front. I assume we’ll get more attention on it when M1X comes out, but I’m kinda shocked that it hasn’t turned into more of a scene like Hackintosh did

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Guys? Guys. And gals. And non binary pals.

New iMacs on Tuesday, yeah?

And maybe iPads and a HomePod?

I’m going to stimulus check the gently caress out of Apple.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I thought WOOSH cleaners were approved and used in Apple stores. So that's what I use for the occasional cleaning.

I know they’re great for everything usually, but the whole staingate thing is that normal cleaners seem to leave behind horrendous looking stains like this:

I may go with the suggestion a few pages prior and just try a wet microfiber cloth. So far, all we’ve done is wipe it with a dry one and then properly cleaned the aluminum casing, keyboard, all that non-screen stuff.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I just finished building this piece of poo poo and it's literally slower in every way possible than my m1 MacBook pro and I LOVE IT

In comparison to my Ghost s1, it's remarkable how little it still is:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nerdrum fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 18, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LODGE NORTH posted:

I know they’re great for everything usually, but the whole staingate thing is that normal cleaners seem to leave behind horrendous looking stains like this:

I may go with the suggestion a few pages prior and just try a wet microfiber cloth. So far, all we’ve done is wipe it with a dry one and then properly cleaned the aluminum casing, keyboard, all that non-screen stuff.

not to be a pedant but damp. not wet. i’ve literally never had anything not come off with that. i don’t know why people buy anything else.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nerdrum posted:

I just finished building this piece of poo poo and it's literally slower in every way possible than my m1 MacBook pro and I LOVE IT

In comparison to my Ghost s1, it's remarkable how little it still is:

Not gonna lie, I’ve always kinda wanted the ashcan pro, in fact I still do and this is not helping

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Not gonna lie, I’ve always kinda wanted the ashcan pro, in fact I still do and this is not helping

Hell I still kind of want a NeXT Turbo Color slab.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve always wanted a G3 iMac, G3 PowerMac, cheesegrater, trashcan, cheesegrater 2.....but I already have too many musical instruments, vintage pieces of audio gear, and plants to be able to bring more old collector poo poo into my life, so I’ll settle for colorful new AS Macs instead.

Bring colors to the iMac and also to the other Mac lines pls.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Guys? Guys. And gals. And non binary pals.

New iMacs on Tuesday, yeah?

And maybe iPads and a HomePod?

I’m going to stimulus check the gently caress out of Apple.

Honestly I don’t think we see any new Mac hardware until WWDC. I think Tuesday is just iPads and other accessories.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Honestly I don’t think we see any new Mac hardware until WWDC. I think Tuesday is just iPads and other accessories.

My guess is low-powered (M1?) smaller (23-24”?) iMacs next week, those are the ones that are either unavailable or discontinued, aside from iMac Pro

Higher powered iMac (M1X?) and bigger iMac not until WWDC or Fall 2021, maybe M1X MBP when we get the equivalent iMac/Mac Mini Tier 2

there was this tweet from the current moment’s favorite leaker:

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1383349327658057728?s=20

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the 27" imac size is perfect and a 30" display is slightly too unwieldy for my desk. I'm sure I'll love it though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the 27" imac size is perfect and a 30" display is slightly too unwieldy for my desk. I'm sure I'll love it though.

I hope apple doesn’t do something dumb like limit fun colors to the smaller size

Although honestly a 23-24” screen with above-M1 power seems like it would be plenty of iMac for me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I could go back to 24 as well

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah really hoping for a M1x iMac. Will be a day 1 purchase if so. If not, hopefully it depresses prices of M1 Mac Minis within a week. Will be watching.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It likely won’t be physically larger than the existing 27” iMac, it’ll just have smaller or almost non existent bezels

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like the 1080p iMac ship times have slipped so if we do get a refresh I’d guess it’s an M1 in current design. Redesigned 4K iMacs with better Apple Silicon at WWDC.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

My guess is low-powered (M1?) smaller (23-24”?) iMacs next week, those are the ones that are either unavailable or discontinued, aside from iMac Pro

Higher powered iMac (M1X?) and bigger iMac not until WWDC or Fall 2021, maybe M1X MBP when we get the equivalent iMac/Mac Mini Tier 2

there was this tweet from the current moment’s favorite leaker:

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1383349327658057728?s=20
I want them to reveal new Mx iMacs more than anything else, but someone went and broke down previous Apple event posters and taglines and compared them to what we actually got and there was basically never any correlation :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

I want them to reveal new Mx iMacs more than anything else, but someone went and broke down previous Apple event posters and taglines and compared them to what we actually got and there was basically never any correlation :(

Yeah I think it was Mac Rumours, basically if there ever is any correlation it's either blatantly obvious (Time Flies being the Apple Watch focused event in September) or only noticeable after the fact. So the event where the Macbook Air was revealed was titled "There's Something In The Air". People are just trying to read way too much into what the graphics team just thought looked cool. That said some people are theorising that the new iMacs might have the same colour options as the iPad Air which would make sense.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 18, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

lovetodream isn’t a poster/tagline speculator, they’re a supply chain leaker with a (currently) very strong track record

their style is to post obtuse, semi-cryptic, playfully worded tweets with things like “I’m dreaming of a bigger iMac screen than the last one” or “In my dream I saw two iPads getting changed” or iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max” right before the launch event, etc.

they aren’t saying “look at the poster and see the evidence for colorful iMacs”, they’re saying “we’ve been talking about these for a month, and I really think they’re coming out during this event”

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

lovetodream isn’t a poster/tagline speculator, they’re a supply chain leaker with a (currently) very strong track record

their style is to post obtuse, semi-cryptic, playfully worded tweets with things like “I’m dreaming of a bigger iMac screen than the last one” or “In my dream I saw two iPads getting changed” or iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max” right before the launch event, etc.

they aren’t saying “look at the poster and see the evidence for colorful iMacs”, they’re saying “we’ve been talking about these for a month, and I really think they’re coming out during this event”

Yeah exactly. And I’m an Apple geek that listens to most of the podcasts and watches most of the rumor videos. My feeling is if we get a Mac it’s going to be the smaller of the two imac . If not, by WWDC will definitely be getting the imacs , and hopefully the new 16 and 14 inch laptops, those could wait till the end of the summer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple has released new laptops in May before and even February but that was roughly on Intel's clock; although in my bones I agree it's likelier they'll be announced at WWDC.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm jonesing for the 16" Apple Silicon MBP fellas

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So is everyone else..

poo poo I'd even get whatever the lowest tier it would be, which I bet would be at least a 12 or 16-core Apple Silicon CPU / GPU..

Been using a used 2015 rMBP 15-inch as a daily and if there were no 16-inch Mx machine I'd stick with it..

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
ArsTechnica notes that the supply of 21.5 inch iMacs has dried up, which is often a good sign of an impending refresh.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It’s gonna be pretty dumb. The entry level stuff gets refreshed, now with iMac.
But the bigger iMacs and better minis and MBPs are still half a year out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My guess is the 16" 4-port MBP M1x will be announced at WWDC (early June) and available a month later (early July).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FMguru posted:

My guess is the 16" 4-port MBP M1x will be announced at WWDC (early June) and available a month later (early July).

Probably. And then we'll all be here talking about how much better the M2 (coming 2022) is gonna be.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any rumblings of finally adding cellular to the laptops? An M1 cellular MBA would be an instant-buy for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Any rumblings of finally adding cellular to the laptops? An M1 cellular MBA would be an instant-buy for me.

I give that a 0.01% chance of happening.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ultimate Mango posted:

It’s gonna be pretty dumb. The entry level stuff gets refreshed, now with iMac.
But the bigger iMacs and better minis and MBPs are still half a year out.

They get to sell twice as much hardware this way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well the market for such a thing being astonishingly small for starters.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want a laptop like device with cellular capabilities Apple will happily sell you an iPad Pro and keyboard case. Or an iPhone to tether your Macbook to.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

All I want is an M1 replay of my 12 inch MacBook with a non gimped cpu and a keyboard that doesn’t self destruct.

I love that slow little bastard

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Yeah I don’t think that’ll happen yet. Definitely not tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'll go out and say the dumb quiet part loud, gently caress it, do what they did with the cheese grater. Give me a M1x Mac Pro starting at 1k with PCIe upgradability and I'd do things that are still technically illegal in the south for it.