Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Like, imagine discussing your craft with your colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Shocked that tech nerds don't welcome or consider different perspectives.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In my current team they feel strongly that pull requests are the wrong place to discuss craft, but I have been in teams where that is acceptable. I think doing so in pull requests requires more trust; it's more fraught than discussing something over coffee.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Nitpicks are great if they are presented as learning opportunities. I love to learn, I know I'm not a great (or even barely competent) developer, and anybody willing to impart some knowledge as feedback is appreciated.

Again, only with the context of "this isn't required and feel free to not do it".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Writing simple code is super important, so I definitely flag anything that's fine but could be done cleaner or neater or simpler. I'll generally approve the pull request anyway, to be honest, because these things aren't bugs or mistakes. They're just things that'll help us keep a clean code base.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I see it as a good place to share suggestions for cleaner or more maintainable code styles. Some teams at my place use PRs as a place to document required code styles instead of you know, actually documenting them anywhere, which is pretty obnoxious.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bongo Bill posted:

I, for one, stick to my principles and never reveal critical trade secrets to my competition. :smugbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I know people who think something like that unironically.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Xarn posted:

I know people who think something like that unironically.

If they're your friends why are you still friends with them?

If they're your coworkers why do you still work there?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someone at work unironically added “PhD” at the end of their Slack full name.

Of course they are in machine learning.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

What a loving loser hahaha

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

smackfu posted:

I worked with someone who did that with MBA :(

Edit: I hadn't thought about him for a while and looked him up on LinkedIn and yup, his last name has MBA at the end

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 19, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Gonna rep my bachelor's degree in my title like it actually means something.

Hi, I'm Protocol7, B.S. :c00l:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

smackfu posted:

People who make a big deal about having PhDs are invariably up to no good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Protocol7 posted:

Hi, I'm Protocol7, B.S. :c00l:

Pleased to meet you I'm prom candy, Some College

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The B.S. stands for Barely Sentient:agesilaus:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Slimy Hog posted:

If they're your friends why are you still friends with them?

If they're your coworkers why do you still work there?

Neither luckily

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Hi, I'm Protocol7, full of B.S. :c00l:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Carbon dioxide posted:

Protocol7 posted:

Hi, I'm Protocol7, full of B.S. :c00l:

This except unironically. :c00lbutt:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hello ladies, I'm Volmarias, Bachelor Scientist :chord:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna, Professional Bullshitter.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Engineer, Xarn Engineer. :v:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

HMS Queen Victorian, Bona Fide Artist

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Woebin, almost B.A. (unfinished thesis still on an old laptop's drive)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bull poo poo

more poo poo

piled higher and deeper

I dont have one for BA/MA. I guess PhD still works though

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
chglcu, four time community college dropout.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

bull poo poo

more poo poo

piled higher and deeper

I dont have one for BA/MA. I guess PhD still works though

I thought 'bama was an insult as it is.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Sup goons. I'm pretty new to git and I'm struggling with understanding how to map its workflow to my own local workflows. At my company, I work in Matlab and Python and in internal tool development. Things like simulations and tool automation. So locally, I have a Matlab folder that contains subfolders for various projects -- SimCodeA, SimCodeB, etc. and similarly in Python, I have a top-level folder then subfolders for (eg) Automation1, Automation2, etc. If I want to put all this stuff up on github, do I make repositories for each project? Or a single Matlab repository and a single Python repository? Or something else? I'm not really sure how to think about this. As well, I get confused when banging this local approach against the branch concept: If I want to work on new project SimCodeC, do I make a new branch containing the folder SimCodeC, or, just add this folder in the "base" repository and work from there?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Sup goons. I'm pretty new to git and I'm struggling with understanding how to map its workflow to my own local workflows. At my company, I work in Matlab and Python and in internal tool development. Things like simulations and tool automation. So locally, I have a Matlab folder that contains subfolders for various projects -- SimCodeA, SimCodeB, etc. and similarly in Python, I have a top-level folder then subfolders for (eg) Automation1, Automation2, etc. If I want to put all this stuff up on github, do I make repositories for each project? Or a single Matlab repository and a single Python repository? Or something else? I'm not really sure how to think about this. As well, I get confused when banging this local approach against the branch concept: If I want to work on new project SimCodeC, do I make a new branch containing the folder SimCodeC, or, just add this folder in the "base" repository and work from there?

There's very rarely a single right way to organize repositories, and what you do should make sense for your own workflow. It's generally easiest to keep whatever you need to build and run a project in the same repository, but it might make sense to put multiple projects in the same repository. If you're the only contributor, you can do whatever works for you, and it's fairly easy to split and combine repositories as long as the split corresponds to the directory structure. You also don't need to worry about branches in that case unless you have some formal release process.

How do you have projects organized? Do you have a release process?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How do you approach people who are never specific with what they want?

For example, working on processing some data right now. I put together a script that checks a spreadsheet for some specific conditions, and writes down the affected row IDs into a separate text file.

This is exactly what was asked. Verbatim, I was asked "Can we start with a list of Record IDs that [meet some criteria]?"

So I produce a text file where each line is a Record ID that meets the specified criteria.

They immediately pop back "Great, can we filter the original spreadsheet on these Record IDs now?"

We could have skipped the whole churn cycle if they just said that's what they wanted from the start.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Cyril Sneer posted:

Easy path: slap everything into one repo, then you don’t have to change your workflow. You can separate things later. If you’re using GitHub essentially as a remote backup+change log then you don’t need branches either (though you might find them handy to keep changes clean).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I thought I knew better but I messed up when in the last interview stage they brought up "so what are you thinking compensation wise".
I knew that I shouldn't say a number but I still said a number, even though it wasn't the specific number they wanted me to say.
I should just not say any numbers at all.
Dangit.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

ultrafilter posted:

There's very rarely a single right way to organize repositories, and what you do should make sense for your own workflow. It's generally easiest to keep whatever you need to build and run a project in the same repository, but it might make sense to put multiple projects in the same repository. If you're the only contributor, you can do whatever works for you, and it's fairly easy to split and combine repositories as long as the split corresponds to the directory structure. You also don't need to worry about branches in that case unless you have some formal release process.

How do you have projects organized? Do you have a release process?

This is all uncontrolled so my stuff is not subject to any release process. Its mainly just internal tools for us engineers to dick around with.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In that case I'd be inclined to either do a single repository or a separate repository per tool. Your call as to which is better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really, git just gets you a history of changes. So would you like to see all the changes to all projects in the same list, or in different lists?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

marumaru posted:

I thought I knew better but I messed up when in the last interview stage they brought up "so what are you thinking compensation wise".
I knew that I shouldn't say a number but I still said a number, even though it wasn't the specific number they wanted me to say.
I should just not say any numbers at all.
Dangit.

Oh yeah that's the absolute worst question. There's really not a right answer. I got lucky that my current employer didn't take advantage of me since I answered super low.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

smackfu posted:

Really, git just gets you a history of changes. So would you like to see all the changes to all projects in the same list, or in different lists?

It also depends on whether those projects interact with each other. If none of the projects actually interact, and they're involved enough that the commit history could get messy, you may want separate repos

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Protocol7 posted:

How do you approach people who are never specific with what they want?

For example, working on processing some data right now. I put together a script that checks a spreadsheet for some specific conditions, and writes down the affected row IDs into a separate text file.

This is exactly what was asked. Verbatim, I was asked "Can we start with a list of Record IDs that [meet some criteria]?"

So I produce a text file where each line is a Record ID that meets the specified criteria.

They immediately pop back "Great, can we filter the original spreadsheet on these Record IDs now?"

We could have skipped the whole churn cycle if they just said that's what they wanted from the start.

For me I would definitely say "next time could you let me know what you want the final product/outcome to be? it would have saved a lot of time"

Also get in the habit of asking probing questions when people come to you with asks. If someone asks you to do something, make sure you understand why they want it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

prom candy posted:

For me I would definitely say "next time could you let me know what you want the final product/outcome to be? it would have saved a lot of time"

Also get in the habit of asking probing questions when people come to you with asks. If someone asks you to do something, make sure you understand why they want it.

Forgot to chime in before, but definitely this. Even a simple "sure, what's this for?" can easily and innocently transition into them telling you what the gently caress they're trying to even do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If they know enough about the problem to decide that this specific technical thing is the solution, why are they unable to do the specific technical thing themselves? I would try to answer that yourself first though, not every request needs to pass a court of inquiry before you start working on it.

Since everything needs a crappy analogy, if I've written a letter and I want somebody else to send it for me (maybe I don't know the recipient's address but they do, or sending letters has to be done through their department), I give them the letter and I ask them to send it to whoever. I don't ask them to put it in an envelope.