Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

aren't countess and shenk cold immune? Regardless I'm not really into doing the same stuff over and over, I just never heard of this seal glitch before and I want to work it out
The guy next to shenk is and Pindle can be on occasion, but otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jiggerypokery posted:

aren't countess and shenk cold immune? Regardless I'm not really into doing the same stuff over and over, I just never heard of this seal glitch before and I want to work it out
if your merc is geared enough you can let them kill immunes, im not good enough at D2 to know what specific stuff u need but lifesteal, attack speed, and damage to undead/demons depending on what ur running works for me

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jiggerypokery posted:

I've had a go at this on vanilla (plugy) single player and just keep dying. I've tried various hybrid sorc builds at level 87, fo/nova fo/fireball and pure blizzard. Is there something special that makes it work on slash diablo? I can't be thaaat bad can I?

My gear is rubbish to be fair. Sprit sword/monarch, tarn helm, umed viper, maras and some random rings. Any tricks/advice?
I'll record some runs & post a video. My gear isn't great and I am still specced pure blizzard.

I am going to do it with BO because my character is hardcore & I am not dying to record a video. Maybe I will die & then I'll still post to video to get laughed at.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jiggerypokery posted:

whenever youtube actually processes it, 7 consecutive runs in 15 minutes in hardcore on a blizz sorc:

pre-emptive sorry about the split screen didn't realize I had it set to the 4 box scene when recording & also the random commentary isn't good but it'd take too much time to upload again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrK7AQlicko

There's videos out there of the optimal way to play with fb or lit, but generally people only post their absolute best run & also only make those after they have godly gear. These runs show some of the fundamentals of controlling how much damage you take as a sorc in chaos which is pretty important in hardcore, with not great gear, or in 8 player games.

One mistake that shouldn't have happened & that's easily avoidable is I cast something other than teleport after teleporting into mobs that were attacking me. In hc or while trying not to die I'd always teleport again to not be struck.

Another big mistake is I wasn't holding down the view items key some of the time for some reason so my teleports got stuck and didn't move when my cursor went over objects.

Some stat targets for not dying constantly would be decent fcr (105 or 200 if you want to glitch, bp below 105 if you are just getting started), max fire res, 50+ lit res, 800-1100 hp in softcore. In HC I'd want ~1400-1600 hp for spamming runs minimum but ~1100-1200 is safe if you play safe. Going above max fire or having fire absorb is good, too, so you don't accidentally die to conviction or certain infector combinations. One of my rings is a dwarf star & my hat+armor are ral runed for fire res.

Might play more later in the week and maybe I'll record a video that occupies the entire screen & has coherent commentary & has better play hopefully.

If your gear isn't there yet then I'd probably do hell andariel (quest glitch which you probably did by accident) or ancient tunnels. Hell Andariel is one of the fastest non-chaos ways to get some baseline gear. Ancient Tunnels gives you access to much better drops than andy, but it takes longer to find essentials if you have literally nothing. Ancient tunnels is seen as a better use of time by most. Chaos is something you graduate to after ancient tunnels.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 14, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Tunnels and The Pit (I think? there are several high ilvl areas between acts) are where I would go to farm socketed base items. Those areas and Countess are a good use of time if you need runes/bases for yourself or your merc. Andariel and Meph are good if you are looking for uniques.

Countess does not drop the highest runes, but if you aren't already geared for end game you can make some really nice pieces from the runes she drops and elite socketed items from Tunnels and Pit.

There are some pretty decent runewords you can make from these scraps, and it's a nice change of pace if you've been running hell Andy or Meph until your eyes bleed.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I ripped a level 63 sorc to hell travincal earlier this week. Good Times

I had a go at seal glitches again on my sc sorc is fo/nova atm which is pretty cool for being able to do it. Its mega sketchy though. Diabolo gave me an occulus, which should have been named "suicide branch" instead. Chance to teleport is the most troll mod ever

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Where do you farm in nightmare if you're playing the PD2 mod? I'm trying to gear up a pure frozen orb sorc for hell. Is it actually worth farming in nightmare or should I push for hell meph runs?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i usually do nm cow runs until I have decent enough gear to move up to stony tomb in hell. meph is kind of a pain now that they moved the council up near him if you aren't geared

oh you said cold scratch the stony tomb part. but I would go with nm cows still to get some starter gear

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Khorne posted:

whenever youtube actually processes it, 7 consecutive runs in 15 minutes in hardcore on a blizz sorc:

pre-emptive sorry about the split screen didn't realize I had it set to the 4 box scene when recording & also the random commentary isn't good but it'd take too much time to upload again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrK7AQlicko

Thanks! By the way

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I've been playing the d2r alpha because it's been cracked and it looks absolutely gorgeous, hope a good mod scene comes out of it. I'm gonna lol super hard if it ends up looking better than Diablo 4. It loses nothing from being isometric and not 3d.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It'll still play like a 20 year old game thanks to weirdos like llama.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Good, tbh

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I like that uniques are reflected visually on your character.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

It'll still play like a 20 year old game thanks to weirdos like llama.
Llama has the weirdest opinions because he has almost no functional knowledge of how the game played prior to 1.10/1.13 but is somehow a !!NO CHANGES!! caveman. He will casually say d2 is this or that and it's only really true for 1.13+ expansion in single player and was different at some other point in the game's life or on bnet.

I agree with him on almost all of D2R's current issues. I don't really agree with him on the direction they could/should take d2r. If you want 1.13/1.14 d2 you can always just play 1.13/1.14 d2. I'm guilty of playing older versions from time to time. Some of the changes people want are crazy and should only happen if they plan on having a "RESURRECTED" game mode, but infinite stash space, a charm inventory (the decision making/opportunity cost they imagined for charms just didn't play out in practice -- it's failed design), and incorporating some qol changes present on pd2/pod/bhmaphack/slashd maphack should definitely be in the game.

I'd add all this stuff and tell the no changes crew to get over it:

• Infinite or 10x tab shared stash that is only accessible from normal difficulty, 1 character stash tab that is accessible from any difficulty and goes away on death in hardcore
  • Charm inventory
  • Elemental absorb no longer works in pvp (maybe this could be a game creation option, like some "Advanced options" or "pvp game" option where you can pick)
  • Bosses now always drop items at quest rate whether you've completed quest or not -- I mean okay you were clever 20 years ago when you learned how to do this, but it's tedious ritual now so make it status quo
  • Loot filter with customizable item names (you can mod this in even on bnet already, well you can't filter but you can change item names)
  • Monsters on minimap (until 1.10? or 1.11 you could just enable this yourself in data files even on bnet)
  • Fullbright option (you can mod this in even on bnet)
  • Charged Strike range increase (you can mod this in on bnet, realistically I'd just change charged strike to move the amazon toward the target like a kick or charge but I was trying to avoid 'balance' changes and amazon getting a hard mobility skill would be a flavor change too)
  • Larger stash (they're already doing this)
  • Lots of new hotkeys
  • It's always no drop 0 no matter the player count
  • players x works on bnet/multiplayer
  • players x uncapped in single player similar to .09 (still capped to 8 in multiplayer)
  • killing cow king no longer closes portal -- yes, not being able to reopen while other people could was part of the joke, but everyone knows how it works at this point
  • gambling an item doesn't remove it from gambling screen and you can buy more random rolls (historical fact: gambling used to/still might determine what the fully rolled items are when you open the gambling screen rather than when you buy it. This change would take a bit more work than it seems.)
  • Drop noises configurable as part of loot filter
  • Loot filter can put items on minimap
  • Loot filter can alert on shop items as well
  • Players can edit what shows in the top right of the screen (similar to bhmaphack, so you can hide game password)
  • Auto game name fill in in multiplayer
  • Single bnet server with the ability to host games on separate game servers similar to pservers
  • Tool tips with common uses for the items found (recipes for rolling sockets under a white item, common runewords under a socketed item, common recipes under perfect gems, upgrade recipe under runes, etc). This feature is present in the newer versions of slash diablo's maphack.
  • Show stat ranges of rolled modifiers (maybe toggleable in settings or with a hotkey)
  • A second stats window that shows overcapped resists, fcr including frame information, fhr, fbr, absorbs, magic find, gold find, and all the other stats you accumulate but that aren't shown currently.
  • Add a /next command that is only usable from town and starts a countdown to next game. Requires half of players in a game to type /next or 1 after or something. Maybe also valid to use after baal dies from worldstone chamber. Automatically shuts down current game & creates the next game & joins on all players. Works in single player too.

For multiplayer /players and /next could maybe only be usable by the host and then there's no vote mechanic? I don't know, but these would be massive qol. Scrambling to join games is nostalgia and I am faster than most, but maybe we can do better in a remaster. Maybe there's a better system than the "/next" idea I came up with in 5 seconds.

Hotkeys/commands would be:
  • Modifier key to move item from current location to ground (ctrl+click to drop from stash/cube/inventory to ground)
  • Modifier to move item from current location to other open location (shift+click to sell, move from inventory to cube/stash/whatever is open)
  • Modifier to move item to cube if cube is present (alt+click)
  • Key to drink health potion even from inventory
  • Key to drink mana pot even from inventory (I could compromise on these and make it a key to put them on belt similar to picking up, either way, inventory juggling pots is not skill testing and is boring. It was not even part of the game back when you couldn't buy pots at shops (in hc people would even have a potion find barb lmao, sounds real weird now given how frequently juvs/full juvs/pots drop in hell from the increased spawn rates of boss packs that came with 1.10 in nm/hell). No rejuv hotkey is deliberate to preserve good belt mechanics in mid-endgame & pvp)
  • Hotkey to buy pots until full inventory (the delay for buying pots online blows compared to single player, buying a lot of pots isn't fun or interactive or skill intensive.)
  • /vit+ 20 to add 20 vit, same for all stats
  • hotkeys to toggle/enable some of the stuff I described above in the feature section
  • hotkey to toggle show items as on/off, pressing show item key enables the opposite -- show item in d2 doesn't just show items it stops you from being able to click on doodads which is an important gameplay mechanic. If they allow always-on items they need to make sure that the key to temporarily show/hide items prevents doodad interaction independent of what this setting is & that the player can interact with doodads by default independent of this setting.

And a controversial change:
  • Saving and exiting in single player rerolls seed
With the goal of it being to unify sp & mp's functionality and to disrupt speed run strategies a bit. Given the amount of complaining this would cause, I'd probably make it an option at character creation.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 17, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd like if they made skill hotkeys cast the skill rather than having to right click again. Just make qol stuff toggleable and it's a win for everyone. Otherwise if I play I'll play with a controller. Looks to be a better control scheme from what I've seen. :can:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I'd like if they made skill hotkeys cast the skill rather than having to right click again. Just make qol stuff toggleable and it's a win for everyone. Otherwise if I play I'll play with a controller. Looks to be a better control scheme from what I've seen. :can:
I have mixed feelings on this one. I understand the people who want it. I, too, have played games released in the past 20 years that use the now-standard arpg/moba controls.

I wonder if they could implement it so pressing the key switches to it and casts it (or just casts it if it's already selected). That would dance around the aura implementation issue while still mostly offering functionality people expect. The way abilities work behind the scenes kinda hinges on lmb/rmb. Allegedly, d2r's controller support is pretty good if you like controllers.

D2's control scheme kind of grows on you over time. It feels almost fps-like where you're switching guns to change m1,m2 functionality.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 17, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If they can make it work with a controller, then it can be done on a keyboard. Why make using one input an advantage vs the other?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

If they can make it work with a controller, then it can be done on a keyboard. Why make using one input an advantage vs the other?
I didn't know that using a controller actually used the abilities based on controller hotkeys. That's cool.

I'd argue controller puts you at a disadvantage even with that change. I'm not even sure modern hotkeys would provide an advantage in d2 over the current system so they probably should just add it considering they already did the work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You'll get carpal tunnel before me. Game. Blouses.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

You'll get carpal tunnel before me. Game. Blouses.
Now that you made me sit here and think about this, I hope they do add it because I really wonder how it would feel to cast glacial spike/ice blast/static/telekinesis from hotkeys.

I don't think I'd use new input method for paladin because r+t / f+g for hammer+conc, charge+vigor and then shift+lmb to use them are so ingrained at this point, but it'd be real nice for every other class.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 17, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what's the established way to run og D2 these days? It doesn't seem to want to run on my new computer (getting that error 25 thing) so I suppose I should install a mod or something to get it working

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aces High posted:

what's the established way to run og D2 these days? It doesn't seem to want to run on my new computer (getting that error 25 thing) so I suppose I should install a mod or something to get it working
Running the game as administrator should fix that. If you get a memory exception (c05) after that you might need to add the game executables to dep exceptions.

Setting windowed mode ("-w" in shortcut) can also help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aces High posted:

This thing is pretty handy http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/

Gives you a few more resolution options and makes the screen freak out less on modern systems. You'll need to set "-3dfx" as well as "-w" on your shortcut for it to kick in. (after copying the .dll to the folder)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I'm running wine on Linux and it's a dream

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

playing the d2r alpha because it's been cracked

C'mon do me a solid here.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
MOD EDIT: Removed post on where to find files.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
curse necro seems pretty good this pd2 season, although you need a lot of +skills to solo stuff, otherwise your dark pact feels a little weak. one of the dudes i play with is a death sentry assassin so i just spend all my time cursing stuff and desecrating bodies for him to blow up, it makes maps really easy

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm waiting for the release of D2R, but some of the QoL stuff, like loot filters, expanded inventory, and the like are things that are already done by mods - which is great, and I'm sure there will be comparable mods made for this version, but it also launches on the consoles, and I doubt that version will get any mods...

Also, is the "run=lowered defence" ever explained in game? I wonder if D2R will get a tutorial, since it should be accessible to new players, too. It might not be too complicated at the core, but the original game had a manual, I doubt they'll reprint that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Szurumbur posted:

Also, is the "run=lowered defence" ever explained in game? I wonder if D2R will get a tutorial, since it should be accessible to new players, too. It might not be too complicated at the core, but the original game had a manual, I doubt they'll reprint that.

It's not even mentioned in the manual or BradyGames guide.

Also, the BradyGames book that came with the Battle Chest is hilarious. "Put 20 points in Clay Golem and it'll have 600 hit points! Wow!"

E:

Spelling.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 20, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What an absolute disgrace Bradygames was. I remember buying a guide for FFIX that was thin as gently caress because it was barebones and wanted you to go to their website and enter some corresponding code in the book to get the actual info.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

codo27 posted:

What an absolute disgrace Bradygames was. I remember buying a guide for FFIX that was thin as gently caress because it was barebones and wanted you to go to their website and enter some corresponding code in the book to get the actual info.

It was a really terrible idea. Like why even have a guide at that point, just have the website! Ah but they have to get you to buy something first. But that something is going to be useless. But if you're going online you can just get that info free elsewhere, like gamefaqs.

Its like making you buy a cd-key to log into IGN.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Too poor for infinity on my lightning/poison zon and I struggle with mana anyway. Would be worth obtaining an elite eth 4 socket polearm just for insight?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Too poor for infinity on my lightning/poison zon and I struggle with mana anyway. Would be worth obtaining an elite eth 4 socket polearm just for insight?

CA/Thresher/GPA, whatever strength your mans can handle. As good as infinity is, you'll be fine without it.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/polearms.shtml

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
unrelated to anything but i think its sad that even after all these mods there's still no viable pike-a-zon. my first ever toon was a pikezon and she sucked. rip.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smythe posted:

unrelated to anything but i think its sad that even after all these mods there's still no viable pike-a-zon. my first ever toon was a pikezon and she sucked. rip.
I have fond memories of going to play hardcore on asia2/asia3 when they opened and pking level 40-60 people with a level 18? jabazon and then selling their loot on ebay. We had a team of 2-3 and 12 year old me was bringing in way more money than chores for a few weeks there until word spread and people would start leaving games when they saw us. This is the only time in the history of the game I used a pike on an amazon.

In LoD we just did the pking on east/west with level 9 assassins and we regularly killed level 50-7Xs who were helping their friends in normal and sometimes we'd kill naive people in nm/hell too but in those difficulties people would be very suspicious of a level 9 showing up and hostiling while in normal they thought you were a clown. They usually didn't share loot, but on asia2/asia3 the culture was to auto share loot and people would be real stubborn and try to fight you because you were low level. You just hold down jab until you connected a few times with an imbued pike + as much AR as you could get and they'd rip. The assassin thing took way more gear and specialized charms/jewels but was also way funnier because one time we one hit kod a level 78 druid.

In retrospect, I don't think most of this would work with the level of game knowledge people have today. Although, with d2r coming out, there's maybe some window to do it again. The newer runewords and synergies make it way more difficult to do on a low level character & people will just save and exit now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 21, 2021

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Smythe posted:

There's viable Spearzons if you're willing to play the weirder mods. Spearzon is one of the classic power builds in Median XL (though you spend most of your time teleporting around so it plays nothing like the classic version) and Amazons get native access to Whirlwind in Eastern Sun and there's a couple improved melee spear skills, with the caveat that melee characters have it kind of rough in that mod in the sense that casters can clear the screen with one button.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Khorne posted:

I have fond memories of going to play hardcore on asia2/asia3 when they opened and pking level 40-60 people with a level 18? jabazon and then selling their loot on ebay. We had a team of 2-3 and 12 year old me was bringing in way more money than chores for a few weeks there until word spread and people would start leaving games when they saw us. This is the only time in the history of the game I used a pike on an amazon.

In LoD we just did the pking on east/west with level 9 assassins and we regularly killed level 50-7Xs who were helping their friends in normal and sometimes we'd kill naive people in nm/hell too but in those difficulties people would be very suspicious of a level 9 showing up and hostiling while in normal they thought you were a clown. They usually didn't share loot, but on asia2/asia3 the culture was to auto share loot and people would be real stubborn and try to fight you because you were low level. You just hold down jab until you connected a few times with an imbued pike + as much AR as you could get and they'd rip. The assassin thing took way more gear and specialized charms/jewels but was also way funnier because one time we one hit kod a level 78 druid.

lol this is badass. how did the assa work? mindblast or psychic hammer and traps? or just a huge crit on the blinkstrike kick?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

There's viable Spearzons if you're willing to play the weirder mods. Spearzon is one of the classic power builds in Median XL (though you spend most of your time teleporting around so it plays nothing like the classic version) and Amazons get native access to Whirlwind in Eastern Sun and there's a couple improved melee spear skills, with the caveat that melee characters have it kind of rough in that mod in the sense that casters can clear the screen with one button.

yea those are too exotic for me anymore lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did anyone playing the technical alpha test if the fend bug is still there and we're just going to have to accept that it will never ever get fixed?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

codo27 posted:

To be fair to Bradygames, that was all Square trying to push their new site, the Piggyback one also did the "want to find out more?" go to siteXYZ for the complete info we're obviously redacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smythe posted:

lol this is badass. how did the assa work? mindblast or psychic hammer and traps? or just a huge crit on the blinkstrike kick?
You'd just build up tiger strike charges on monsters and then do a big normal hit on the player. At 9 you can't teleport kick. Gear was almost entirely max damage jewels (don't work with kicks) so you were pretty much rolling the dice on whether you'd tickle or kill.

I'm not sure if 5% frw small charms were usable at 9, but with burst of speed you could move pretty fast.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2021