Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Would I sound dumb if I said that this looks rigged?

Askren fell so unnatural, looked completely fine when he got up, and the ref just...called it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Askren fell so unnatural, looked completely fine when he got up, and the ref just...called it?

I saw a comment on reddit that said instead of stepping towards the ref when told, he looked at Jake Paul and stepped towards him instead, meaning the ref could call the fight based on that.

It was hard to make out any of it over snoop dogg screaming "get me my 2 million" also why the gently caress is a promoter/announcer allowed to bet on a fight?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's definitely weird, but that punch was nasty and Askren was on unsteady legs. Stoppage was overeager, but I'm guessing the ref saw a vacancy in Askren's eyes

Better angle:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1383651476812144641?s=20

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

punk rebel ecks posted:

It was a haymaker to the temple and Askren fell the way one does when one is hit by a haymaker to the temple. He was badly hurt. Then he regained his bearings and tried to downplay how hurt he was. The event was a total poo poo show, but it was a legit punch which put Askren down.

E: The twitter post really shows how out of it he was. It was a good call by the ref.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Eh, MMA fight I could see that stoppage, but this is boxing. He was up, oriented, and ready to continue in a few seconds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if it was rigged it was because askren was hit by that punch at all, not that the punch didn't have the heat on it to justify a tko stoppage. it was the sloppiest, slowest, most telegraphed combo i've seen to knock somebody out in a professional fight i've seen in memory.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Joshua v Tyson can't come soon enough

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
pure striking practice is a staple of mma training. if askren hasn't advanced past being able to mitigate a rear hand haymaker then there was a full time position at every gym he has trained at where some guy would have to mop bits of askren off the mats after his sessions with fuckng pettis or tyron woodley

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jump King posted:

It's definitely weird, but that punch was nasty and Askren was on unsteady legs. Stoppage was overeager, but I'm guessing the ref saw a vacancy in Askren's eyes

Better angle:

This is 100% "legit" and it's because Askren just showed up to collect $500k for getting punched out by a youtube jackass and fulfilled his role.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Y'all need to come to terms with exactly how lovely Ben Askren's boxing is. There was no fix, he literally IS that bad.

Also, I'm still laughing at Buffer managing to introduce him as "ASKYEW". You had one job, Bruce.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

Y'all need to come to terms with exactly how lovely Ben Askren's boxing is. There was no fix, he literally IS that bad.

Also, I'm still laughing at Buffer managing to introduce him as "ASKYEW". You had one job, Bruce.

Well, it's good some fans are satisfied!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Well, it's good some fans are satisfied!

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, the event was an utter disgrace and the fights were poo poo. Paul knocking out Askren however, was in no way a surprise.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, the event was an utter disgrace and the fights were poo poo. Paul knocking out Askren however, was in no way a surprise.

Even the most stand-up focussed mma fighter still grapples and everyone in the UFC would be at the very least a purple belt in bjj talent wise, and you're saying it's completely believable that they got beat in a grappling match by a one year white belt.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Even the most stand-up focussed mma fighter still grapples and everyone in the UFC would be at the very least a purple belt in bjj talent wise, and you're saying it's completely believable that they got beat in a grappling match by a one year white belt.

what

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That was like watching a piece of art from hell or something. Very funny

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I knew Askren was a terrible striker but I didn't anticipate quite how terrible. The even was exactly the sort of poo poo show I hoped it would be and Askren walking out of the building with a huge smile on his face after pocketing several million in exchange for eating a sloppy haymaker from a youtuber was perfect.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Even with Whittaker winning, I'm down for the night

Completely underestimated just how little Ben could care

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

BrotherJayne posted:

Even with Whittaker winning, I'm down for the night

Completely underestimated just how little Ben could care

It really is the first time I could legitimately claim to be in better shape than a guy headlining a ppv

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

no really will what the gently caress are we watching

I stopped watching, I couldn't continue. I have been to Z league mma shows with better pre fight nonsense.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jump King posted:

Better angle:

that's legit, i don't know if you could really fake going rigid like that in midair, and if ben was a good enough actor to do that, he should've pretended to box a little better for the 90 seconds before that

stunt fights are silly and jake paul is sloppy, kinda fun though; shame his camp will never let him tangle with even a washed up journeyman

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think it's legit and that Ben just made the easiest money he's ever made by not working out, not training, and just eating a few punches.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I had seen some of his mma fights and I was honestly surprised. He looked like he had absolutely no training in boxing. I don’t think he even threw a punch. He just clinched a few times and then walked at Paul with one arm outstretched before he was KO’d.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Don't forget that Askren is coming off of a hip surgery as well and its never been clear exactly how much that affected him, but I'm guessing its a lot.

Also don't really get the thing of it being the slowest, sloppiest punch ever. It wasn't amazing, but it was fine. Should Ben have been able to avoid it? Yeah, but he sucks.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They're kind of making like Jake is going to fight that guy Fournier from the undercard, the self reported billionaire. I'm calling my shot right now: Jake's next four opponents will be Fournier, ODLH, Chavez Jr, Mcgregor

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i don't think he makes it to macgregor if he fights chavez and odlh

even a washed up de la hoya would be by far the most talented boxer paul's ever faced, and chavez is only 35 (even if it's an old and pretty washed up 35)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think its both askren showed up for the pay day and got knocked thr hell out. askrens deal had points on the ppv numbers so its very likely he walks out of this with well over 7 figures.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Conor would be nuts to fight Paul. Paul fights a full 35lbs above Conor and anything other than an early KO would be hugely damaging to his reputation.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I’m hoping it’s Dillon Danis next, watching them hurt each other will be delicious.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
what Conor wants more than anything is to be talked about, and a fight with Paul would certainly grant him that

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

i don't think he makes it to macgregor if he fights chavez and odlh

even a washed up de la hoya would be by far the most talented boxer paul's ever faced, and chavez is only 35 (even if it's an old and pretty washed up 35)

He outsizes ODLH, who is beyond washed up at the moment. I think he could get him. Chavez Jr probably does beat him unless they pay him off but lets not assume that loss there stops the mcgregor fight from happening.

Look, there are plenty of options, but all roads lead to Jake Paul vs Conor McGregor as the biggest PPV of all time in 2023 or something.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
*Puts on Carnac the Magnificent hat and hold notecard to head*

Jake Paul's next fight will be against Steve "USS" Cunningham in the USSR and Pete Davidson will come.

The USSR will reform because the event is so big that Putin is compelled to annex all of the former Soviet republics in response.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jump King posted:

He outsizes ODLH, who is beyond washed up at the moment. I think he could get him. Chavez Jr probably does beat him unless they pay him off but lets not assume that loss there stops the mcgregor fight from happening.

Look, there are plenty of options, but all roads lead to Jake Paul vs Conor McGregor as the biggest PPV of all time in 2023 or something.

the payday is waiting there no matter what, i agree, i just don’t think it’ll be as much fun tor jake paul to get worked over for 5 rounds by an old pro as it is to knock out people he starts internet beefs with and that might... diminish his enthusiasm, so to speak, unless he thinks of himself as a real deal no bullshit boxer

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

the payday is waiting there no matter what, i agree, i just don’t think it’ll be as much fun tor jake paul to get worked over for 5 rounds by an old pro as it is to knock out people he starts internet beefs with and that might... diminish his enthusiasm, so to speak, unless he thinks of himself as a real deal no bullshit boxer

Definitely, but I do think Jake Paul might be more of a real boxer than people expect. He's got the money and time to train fulltime and has been doing so for a bit. He clearly has the athletic talent as well, I don't think its ridiculous to say he might actually be decent at this. Obviously not good enough to like, win a title or something, but good enough that you can't really think of him as not a boxer. He's not going to try to climb the ranks as a boxer when he can get infinite money from doing these circus fights, but he's got something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jump King posted:

Definitely, but I do think Jake Paul might be more of a real boxer than people expect. He's got the money and time to train fulltime and has been doing so for a bit. He clearly has the athletic talent as well, I don't think its ridiculous to say he might actually be decent at this. Obviously not good enough to like, win a title or something, but good enough that you can't really think of him as not a boxer. He's not going to try to climb the ranks as a boxer when he can get infinite money from doing these circus fights, but he's got something.

I would agree with basically all of that. Time and money to do something you're passionate about with people who extremely good at it and at teaching it will make you pretty drat good at it.
He'd lose 100/100 fights in MMA against Askren but he'd probably win 100/100 in Boxing.

It wasn't fixed or anything but Askren was definitely not there to win and gently caress, he made 500k show money and who knows how much in whatever else money so you know what, he's a winner here too.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Honestly, Ben Askren should have more pride. He was on the wrong end of the quickest knockout in UFC history, and was tweeting jokes about it the next day. Now he gets run through by a youtuber. He should be embarrassed.

We all make fun of fighters when they come up with lovely excuses for losing fights, but I think that something like that is the rational response when getting extremely owned. It is weird that he isn't bothered by being a huge loser in front of large audiences, dollars be damned.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I mean if you made a list of the 1000 Best Fighters and put Ben Askren at 1000 thats still pretty good considering theres 7 billion people I think his pride level is adequate

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's a wrestler who has many achievements in wrestling. Why should he be ashamed that he earned a huge pile of cash for being a can in a sport he doesn't do? It's a cash grab for everyone involved so if that's what's shameful than everyone involved should be ashamed. If it's that he lost who gives a gently caress, it's a cash grab. And if it's to prove himself to people I don't think the accomplished wrestler with a destroyed hip needs to prove anything to anyone in a boxing ring. That money is keeping him warmer than any admiration will.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 18, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Ben Askren is lame in a cool way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Jake may have thrown the same looping 1 2 in a row, but Ben used the same defense both times, which is worse; the loop got around the guard the second time with an intentional adjustment.

Jake seems to have grown into "could be some random enthusiastic amateur at any gym" and he's going to continue to eat up anyone else who's below that level. God have mercy on him if he thinks he can beat even a completely washed up real boxer.