Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Looks like I can get a charger and four pack of them for about half the cost of the Microsoft equivalent, so that's sufficient enough to always have a backup pair of batteries ready for my controller. I'll give em a shot, thanks!

Also i just read an article on toms guide about how big a pain in the rear end it is to make a warranty claim on the charge and play kit.
Though 1000 word journalist meltdowns arent hard to set off by any stretch i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
pro-tip: easiest way to avoid a tag is to just phase through the first baseman. can't believe no one thought of this before

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Re: battery chat. I have the insignia/ Best Buy charger that clips onto the side of the Xbox one s. They were on sale a while back for $10 including 2 batteries. I bought 2. Then I bought a second Xbox one s and it came with the same insignia batteries (except black instead of white) and a charger stand where you can charge the batteries in the controllers. I think they also charge when plugged in like the 1st party xbox ones do.

I’m irked because I waited too long and castlevania symphony of the night went off sale. I waited too long because I was caught up in something weird.
I was looking through the sale and it showed me that I could buy the Kombat Pack 2 for MK 11. I thought that was weird because I was sure I had bought it already. I tried to check my account history on the Xbox and it would only show me the last 3 months and crashed when I tried to check it.
So I went and loaded it up on the computer and it still shows me I can buy Kombat Pack 2 in the Xbox website. So I go to the account history and look back to January and sure enough there’s Kombat Pack 2 purchased. So back to the Xbox and there’s no trace of the purchase. So I go load the game. It shows me that I don’t have the characters in the game so I go to downloads and it offers to sell it to me. So I click it... and it says that I own it. I had to from that point exit the game, go to manage the game and scroll to the bottom, and then it had checkboxes. Marked those, checked install and poof. They downloaded and came into the game. What a pain in the rear end.
I also discovered that apparently I bought all the Bioshock games despite having them on disc so that’s gotta be my brain injury.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

otter posted:

Re: battery chat. I have the insignia/ Best Buy charger that clips onto the side of the Xbox one s. They were on sale a while back for $10 including 2 batteries. I bought 2. Then I bought a second Xbox one s and it came with the same insignia batteries (except black instead of white) and a charger stand where you can charge the batteries in the controllers. I think they also charge when plugged in like the 1st party xbox ones do.

Yeah that thing is legit good. Highly recommended.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

otter posted:

I’m irked because I waited too long and castlevania symphony of the night went off sale. I waited too long because I was caught up in something weird.
I was looking through the sale and it showed me that I could buy the Kombat Pack 2 for MK 11. I thought that was weird because I was sure I had bought it already. I tried to check my account history on the Xbox and it would only show me the last 3 months and crashed when I tried to check it.
So I went and loaded it up on the computer and it still shows me I can buy Kombat Pack 2 in the Xbox website. So I go to the account history and look back to January and sure enough there’s Kombat Pack 2 purchased. So back to the Xbox and there’s no trace of the purchase. So I go load the game. It shows me that I don’t have the characters in the game so I go to downloads and it offers to sell it to me. So I click it... and it says that I own it. I had to from that point exit the game, go to manage the game and scroll to the bottom, and then it had checkboxes. Marked those, checked install and poof. They downloaded and came into the game. What a pain in the rear end.
I also discovered that apparently I bought all the Bioshock games despite having them on disc so that’s gotta be my brain injury.

Yeah it can be a pain to find purchases. I just search my emails for the purchase receipt. Also if you have a TrueAchievements account you can manually add games to your collection there so that you know you have either purchased them or 'own' them due to Game Pass/GWG (if you tick their respective boxes).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure if this a betaOS thing or if it was a recent update to the retail release but the Game Pass list finally has "Recently Added" and "Leaving Soon" sections which is something I've been asking for for years.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think that was there for months already, no?

vv ah gotcha

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 18, 2021

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I think that was there for months already, no?

I remember it being in the store but not the My Games and Apps area.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Pity there isn't a Coming Soon section. About 3 games I've bought the past year have ended up there within a few weeks of me buying them.

I've been thinking that the Xbox One generation of consoles might have a protracted death. Given the chip shortages and continuing supply constraints, developers might not find it commercially viable to leave the Xbone and PS4 consoles behind as soon as they normally would the previous generations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Bought Titanfall 2 for $3 based on everyone raving about how good it is.

Just finished the level where you finally start wrecking poo poo with the Titan and I’m NOT feeling it or seeing the hype. Does it get better or is it just not my bag?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been thinking that the Xbox One generation of consoles might have a protracted death. Given the chip shortages and continuing supply constraints, developers might not find it commercially viable to leave the Xbone and PS4 consoles behind as soon as they normally would the previous generations.

I think that's a given at this point, but not just because of the chip shortages. Backwards compatibility means that if you have a low-spec game, you have zero reason to lock it to the new-gen systems. Maybe recompile it for the new system architecture and let Smart Delivery handle it.

You're starting to see shovelware publishers like Kemco and Ratalaika adopt this model. Some of their new games are getting Series X|S badges.

We are going to see Xbox One and PlayStation 4 games continue to be released for years. The Switch being both popular and comparatively underpowered is going to encourage this, too.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Fly Ricky posted:

Just finished the level where you finally start wrecking poo poo with the Titan and I’m NOT feeling it or seeing the hype. Does it get better or is it just not my bag?
It's consistently good start to end but it's fine if it's not your bag :shobon:

Reevaluate "shortcut"

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

It does. I didn't feel much by that point either but there's some good poo poo later on.

Not one of my favorites or anything like that but it has a very good, if short, singleplayer campaign.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ruffian Price posted:

Reevaluate "shortcut"

I’m too dense to get this part, but good to know. I’ll give it one more level to hook me then bail.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Xbox app for PC had the Coming/Leaving Soon sections for awhile, at least since I started using it last month.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Fly Ricky posted:

I really enjoyed the campaign but the multiplayer felt more like a COD game to me which I didn't really like compared to the first game. The maps just feel alot smaller and the titans much weaker. Anyway that's what the masses enjoy so :shrug: I'll stick to my Battlefield games for my FPS multiplayer fix.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

'Rain on your parade' is now out on game pass. It's ok for when you're waiting on your microwave dinner. It reminds me a lot of Donut County, same style and same type of indie dialog.

It gives you an achievement just for starting it.

I thought Donut County was extremely funny, but I also spend too much time on twitter

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pity there isn't a Coming Soon section. About 3 games I've bought the past year have ended up there within a few weeks of me buying them.

Yeah I was considering building a PC at some point - I have a GTX 970 and extremely old processor from 2011 that still plays games ok but at this point some stuff runs better on a Series S

I've seen all of my friends struggle for months to get the pieces to finally put together a good PC for... $3000 and yeah no thanks I'll wait. I have a feeling games are going to have to run on low end software for much longer than they anticipated and I'd rather buy the consoles than build a PC for that right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I was considering building a PC at some point - I have a GTX 970 and extremely old processor from 2011 that still plays games ok but at this point some stuff runs better on a Series S

I've seen all of my friends struggle for months to get the pieces to finally put together a good PC for... $3000 and yeah no thanks I'll wait. I have a feeling games are going to have to run on low end software for much longer than they anticipated and I'd rather buy the consoles than build a PC for that right now.

You could build a PC from scratch for $600 that would be a huge improvement over a 2011 CPU, just throw your GTX 970 into it until the supply stabilises next year.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

You could build a PC from scratch for $600 that would be a huge improvement over a 2011 CPU, just throw your GTX 970 into it until the supply stabilises next year.

Oh definitely, I've looked into it. But I literally do not use my PC mainly because I absolutely do not want to sit at my desk to play games since I started working from home a year ago, and for $600 you can get a console that will run the games a lot better than a new PC with a 970 in it

I honestly don't really see the need at the moment

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fanatic posted:

I really enjoyed the campaign but the multiplayer felt more like a COD game to me which I didn't really like compared to the first game. The maps just feel alot smaller and the titans much weaker. Anyway that's what the masses enjoy so :shrug: I'll stick to my Battlefield games for my FPS multiplayer fix.

I, too, prefer the original's multiplayer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I mean, one of the biggest success stories going right now is a tablet with an HDMI dock that's basically a 7th gen console with more RAM. Even without the chip shortages, if I'm in the game-making business I'm probably asking myself why exactly I'd bother targeting a high spec. If I'm not, well, might as well release it on the hardware people have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought Donut County was extremely funny, but I also spend too much time on twitter

Donut County was pretty funny. Rain on Your Parade seems like it is trying too hard with its jokes. That and the gameplay is kind of boring. If someone enjoys Rain On Your Parade, I highly suggest playing Donut County. Can't recommend the other way around though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ErrEff posted:

I, too, prefer the original's multiplayer.

Me too. I really didn’t like how the second one handled the half dozen titan models compared to the modular titans of the first game. Also the levels were worse.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I mean, one of the biggest success stories going right now is a tablet with an HDMI dock that's basically a 7th gen console with more RAM. Even without the chip shortages, if I'm in the game-making business I'm probably asking myself why exactly I'd bother targeting a high spec. If I'm not, well, might as well release it on the hardware people have.

I'm hoping the 23 studios that Xbox now incorporates will see things differently. They don't have to target shitboxes anymore (once last gen phases out).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm hoping the 23 studios that Xbox now incorporates will see things differently. They don't have to target shitboxes anymore (once last gen phases out).

They do, though, due to the Series S.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

univbee posted:

They do, though, due to the Series S.

Targeting 1080p30 isn't a big deal for the S and it means that hopefully dynamic 60 fps will be standard on the X.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

Targeting 1080p30 isn't a big deal for the S and it means that hopefully dynamic 60 fps will be standard on the X.

Fingers crossed. Game design doesn't have to take a hit since they can just drop resolution, frame rate and effects on the Series S. The velocity architecture or whatever is all pretty much the same. I'm told.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fingers crossed. Game design doesn't have to take a hit since they can just drop resolution, frame rate and effects on the Series S. The velocity architecture or whatever is all pretty much the same. I'm told.

Pretty much, it's only the GPU that's underpowered and even then only when compared against the Series X or PS5 (or a gaming PC), it's still leagues better than the BoneX or PS4 Pro GPUs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Targeting 1080p30 isn't a big deal for the S

For now

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This Dragon Quest game sure is pretty!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Crafty posted:

You don’t want to pay literally $1 for 3 years of access to 300+ games? What is wrong with you man.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to buy more than 3 years of live, that’s like a genuine long term investment. There’s options that will give you a much better return than giving Microsoft an interest free loan for 3+ years.

I appreciate the advice but I am freaky deaky :clint: I also like online gaming a lot and feel very secure with the Xbox ecosystem.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm curious about the next generation after the new one since the industry is moving away from X86 architecture to ARM, which on the one hand is great because of how much better ARM chips are, but will make backwards compatibility very difficult. I'm hoping the BC team at Microsoft are already starting to prepare for that change since if anyone can pull it off it's them, and I expect next gen consoles will make the switch since they're both powerful and efficient which makes them ideal for console hardware.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Billy Khan is the lead engine programmer at id, who have an engine that performs phenomenally well on hardware that has no business running anything that pretty at a decent framerate, sure Had Thoughts about the Series S. Seemed like a big deal to him.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Billy Khan is the lead engine programmer at id, who have an engine that performs phenomenally well on hardware that has no business running anything that pretty at a decent framerate, sure Had Thoughts about the Series S. Seemed like a big deal to him.

Then he got bought by Microsoft which was pretty hilarious.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Of course the professional race car driver is gonna want the car with the most horsepower, because he doesn't actually have to buy the car.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's not a car

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:iiaca:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

American McGay posted:

Of course the professional race car driver is gonna want the car with the most horsepower, because he doesn't actually have to buy the car.

In this case the car bought him

Point is, his (deleted, lol) comments about the RAM situation on the SeriesS make me think that piece of hardware is going to be a more meaningful bottleneck than "just lower the resolution" can get around. We'll see, I guess.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

In this case the car bought him

Point is, his (deleted, lol) comments about the RAM situation on the SeriesS make me think that piece of hardware is going to be a more meaningful bottleneck than "just lower the resolution" can get around. We'll see, I guess.

Well I'm sure it's going to end up being lower res, lower fps, lower graphics settings in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Isn't that the one tweet about lack of RAM for the BVH structure? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's RT stuff, right?
I fail to see how a very specific complaint about a high-end graphical feature has anything to do with how well their engine can run games on an overpriced tablet. (And I like the Switch, my only issue with its hardware is the shite joycon reliability, specs wise I think it's plenty good)

If you want eye candy, sure get a Series X or better yet, a decent gaming PC, but let's not pretend the S isn't a huge step up from the Xbone X in all respects.

TheScott2K posted:

Lowering the pixel count only helps with the narrower GPU and lower bandwidth; for the smaller RAM pool cutting back on other things like huge textures will definitely be a necessity in some cases.

Again, all about the eye candy and nothing about the actual game itself. Much better to have an actually decent CPU and a next gen GPU than the 4 extra GB of RAM and wider but more limited GPU on the Bone.