Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

the skin tones range from nordic to vaguely iberian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Ah, so still no. Thanks for the head's up.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

mdct posted:

Just checkin' in if, in the year 2020, more than a year and a half since this game released, it allows you to play as anything but a white dude still?
I've had my arguments in here and I'm good as far as having another one goes, I just like to check in periodically about it.

Yep, can only be a white dude still - but you can be a dwarf dressed up as a 1000% historically accurate viking :downs:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vomitorium posted:

It's still the most 'skill based' combat around and the servers here in Australia are full of people so yeah, if you wanna cut cunts it's easily the best option.

Oh wow, really? I'm glad to hear that! I figured it must've been deserted down here in Aus, by now.
My friends and I were thinking about jumping back into the game, so that's great news

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, really? I'm glad to hear that! I figured it must've been deserted down here in Aus, by now.
My friends and I were thinking about jumping back into the game, so that's great news

Yeah its super popular in Aus still 😃

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DreadCthulhu posted:

How's the game in Oct 2020, should I be getting into it now? Is it possible to play it without feeling like a sore loser, or should you expect to hate yourself for the first few months?

I think the best way to enjoy this game is to figure out what you like the most. For me, I hate duels because I feel its too sweaty for me. Running around with barely any armour and a halberd, hacking people in the back during big melees on frontline is my jam.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
How do I get good? I'm still not fully getting the mechanics. For example, I swing, the guy blocks, he swings back, I block, and swing back, and we just go back and forth like that forever until someone manages to land a blow. Seems like feigning is the path to godhood here?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Turn chat off, use an incredibly stupid layout like three daggers or two daggers and rocks. I can't see them getting upset, but they sure do act like it!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
They added the falx in the game, which I like because it's a really rad weapon, so I made a new layout for it and called it Falx Alarm and went to hack some motherfuckers and had a good time.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

1. Do people bother with keybindings specific to particular slash directions? Do you keep the binding for top to bottom and bottom up slashes, or do you use LMB and mouse direction to determine that?
2. Did any of you remap stab from mouse wheel up to something else? Feels awkward.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DreadCthulhu posted:

How do I get good? I'm still not fully getting the mechanics. For example, I swing, the guy blocks, he swings back, I block, and swing back, and we just go back and forth like that forever until someone manages to land a blow. Seems like feigning is the path to godhood here?

feints, morphs, accels/drags, footwork

honestly if you incorporate a thrust-morph-into-overhand a lot of players will bite on it

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Cultivating a sense of initiative is also really important. Initiative is basically, "whose turn is it to attack?" or, more precisely, "if both players input an attack at this moment, whose attack would hit first?". If you just parried an attack, you have initiative for a brief window. If your opponent just parried an attack, they have initiative for a brief window. If no one just parried, then it depends on (among other things) weapon size, speed, and the relative positioning of the two players. This brings in two related concepts that often get a lot of talk:

"Gambling" is attacking when your opponent has initiative. You're basically betting that the opponent will make a mistake or take too long to perform their attack. Blindly and unintentionally gambling is bad, try not to do it.

"Buffering" is feinting an attack when your opponent has initiative (stabs can be really good for this). Often you can get a player to parry out of their attack by doing this, especially if they were planning to mix in feints/morphs. This also puts a lot of pressure on your opponent since they now have to try to read your feint while performing their attack. High level duels sometimes turn into both players just feinting at each other as the two are reading and jockeying for initiative.

have you seen my baby fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 11, 2020

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

feints, morphs, accels/drags, footwork

if you like google and watch videos and understand what each of these terms mean, properly.. you'll be 'good'. but feints are the answer to exchanging swings and blocks, you use them to break the rhythm

thats the aussie servers at like 10pm on a Monday night. Lots of people.

Vomitorium fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 12, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Vomitorium posted:

Yeah its super popular in Aus still 😃

We have tons of racists so this games fuckin' crawling. yeah.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Probably risking a probe here but lmao at so many people reacting to a good and correct post as histrionics because it doesn't support any of the arguments for Mordhau being exclusively white dudes lol

Like not only is it factually correct but it also shuts down the fallacy of Mordhau being a historical game, regardless of the fact it would still be wrong if it were striving for accuracy.

Really shaking off the image. I'd probably start playing again just to see the meltdowns from dark skin let alone women.

E: lol those posts are from April. Whatever. Thread dead so what

Faffel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 13, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Where are you all finding people to play with? The official Mordhau discord is a total poo poo show.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Being good a blocking is never a bad thing. The first trick to learn is to trade blows in a predictable pattern and then suddenly mix up your timing. You don't even have to be fancy - a single feint or a really basic drag can throw off your timing enough to get a hit in if you are just trading blows.

I always lead off with a morph attack. It works like 70% of the time and if they block it, I know i'm playing someone better than average. If it hits, I know I can just gimmick them to death with chambers or whatever.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Lorem ipsum posted:

I always lead off with a morph attack. It works like 70% of the time and if they block it, I know i'm playing someone better than average. If it hits, I know I can just gimmick them to death with chambers or whatever.

Are morph attacks special in the sense that they're like a feign built into a regular attack? Are morphs a way to delay the attack, or is there something special here?

The other part that I find challenging isn't so much accels and drags, as much as faking not doing them, and then doing them anyway. So the whole "I'll fake doing an accel, but actually I'll turn at the very last second and turn this into a drag" - that's loving hard, or maybe it's not, but requires a ton of practice.

I also don't fully get the whole top down vs bottom up swing. Does it matter? I guess top down is generally better because you get a chance to him them in the head.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

Are morph attacks special in the sense that they're like a feign built into a regular attack? Are morphs a way to delay the attack, or is there something special here?

The other part that I find challenging isn't so much accels and drags, as much as faking not doing them, and then doing them anyway. So the whole "I'll fake doing an accel, but actually I'll turn at the very last second and turn this into a drag" - that's loving hard, or maybe it's not, but requires a ton of practice.

I also don't fully get the whole top down vs bottom up swing. Does it matter? I guess top down is generally better because you get a chance to him them in the head.

Basically, morphs delay the attack and can be difficult to read (especially if you're also adding in swing manipulation). There's a little bit of a rock-paper-scissors style mechanic going on with morphs, feints, and chambers. Feints can be really hard to read, but if you chamber and your opponent feints then your attack will just go through, countering the feint. If you try to chamber and your opponent morphs their attack, the chamber won't land and the morph will hit you. Chambers counter feints, morphs counter chambers. Just reading and parrying the attack (if you can) counters everything else because you will win on stamina.

Top down vs. bottom up doesn't really matter most of the time. Chambers depend on the direction of the attack, so attacking from multiple angles makes it harder for your opponent to chamber you. There's also more advanced swing manipulation like max acceling an overhead riposte for an instant headshot (hello, maul!), overhead toe drags, and jumping underhands, but I wouldn't focus on that stuff if you're still learning the game. Similarly, the kind of advanced swing manipulation you're describing in your second question mostly just comes with time. If you want to git gud, get yourself to the point where you can just decide to chamber, riposte, or parry any given attack and then worry about the more arcane swing manipulation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

One last thing to add is that you can crouch while swinging for a sort of accel on overheads. Oh and if you hit the ground instead of missing in the air you can keep your stamina and essentially perform an extended feint

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Crouching rules. Just press ctrl every time you mis-parry and you'll get hit like 30% less

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Add 5% if you also look down while doing so

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
For bigger gamemodes, i foudn that playing in third person helps a lot with situational awareness, and you can see better the range and speed of your own and the opponents weapons.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Wow people are still playing? Have they introduced any bit of autobalance to casual servers yet? It's the only thing that would bring me back into the game. I just don't want to deal with a stacked team of sweats screaming at me for "gambling" after they go for the double-feint-groundsniff-swivel-raise-weapon-feint-insta-accel-headshot with the war axe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
chivalry 2 thread when

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

eonwe posted:

chivalry 2 thread when

Be the change you want to see brother

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah I'm curious about Chiv 2. I love Mordhau in spite of its flaws and will keep playing it, but given how little the devs seem to care about not looking like chuds I don't plan on buying from them again.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

School Nickname posted:

Wow people are still playing? Have they introduced any bit of autobalance to casual servers yet? It's the only thing that would bring me back into the game. I just don't want to deal with a stacked team of sweats screaming at me for "gambling" after they go for the double-feint-groundsniff-swivel-raise-weapon-feint-insta-accel-headshot with the war axe.

Not yet for autobalance, but the latest patch made things a little smoother. Animations were tweaked to be a little better, and you get optional floating combat text that tells you when you parry, reposte, or chamber, and when an opponent does it to you. There's also a HUD icon that shows you your own parry timeout, which I appreciate because I would often be frustrated at why I wasn't able to parry in time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Does this game still have hella Nazis in it all the time

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I haven't played in about 6 months but I can definitely say 'yes it does'

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

new patch same chud problem

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never noticed the chud issue, at least, not any more than any other video game I've played

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
did they ever patch the game so you could create a character that's something other than "pale white guy"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's honestly kind of impressive just how little has been done with the game over the last two years. It's too bad Chivalry 2 will only be available on a poo poo platform for its first year on PC.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's the main reason I'm not interested in making a thread for Chiv 2, I'm still waffling on if I'm going to get it. On one hand I don't want to install an entire different storefront just to play one game, but on the other I want to get in on the community before it loving dies

I tried playing Mordhau a few months ago to get in some ranked play and I immediately started running into 180spin crouching reverse overhead and instant startup seizure stab sweatlords and dealt with that for like an hour before uninstalling and never looking back lol

Gobblecoque posted:

did they ever patch the game so you could create a character that's something other than "pale white guy"

you've been able to play as "lightly toasted white guy" and "worked all day in the sun white guy" since the beginning

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I admit, I am a 180 spin crouchlord. I set my mouse to 3600dpi for this game and never looked back

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's been times I've felt like learning how to do it, but I like being able to sleep peacefully at night.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they should have made deadliest warrior 2 imo that game owned

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

agree but in reference to the bushido-blade style Xbox Live Arcade game. Thankfully Hellish Quart is looking to fill that void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
bushido blade games are some of the best video games ever made