Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Anthony Mackie and Wyatt Russel and Sebastian Stan are literally giving us the best 3 performances in the MCU in this show.

Russell I'll give you, but I thought Florence Kasumba ran rings around Stan in their scenes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah I sort of forget how much Wyatt Russell is crushing it. His character feels so real as this soldier living in a world of super heroes.

His little head wobble as he goes nuts is great

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I disagree, since without the arc reactor there's still the AI and much more advanced nanomachine usage than anything we see in Wakanda even just confining it to the Iron Man suit, but venturing further afield you also have Ultron/Vision and the discovery of time travel. I was confining it mostly to the Iron-Man suit and Black Panther suit though, since it's the most direct analogues we have of their technology.

He doesn't discover time travel. He basically figures out the logistics of it, and isn't that far ahead of what Banner already figured out, based on what Lang brought to everyone's attention.

Also, Shuri was unimpressed with the craftsmanship that went into making Vision so I don't think that's really a point for Tony either.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Russell I'll give you, but I thought Florence Kasumba ran rings around Stan in their scenes together.

I'd argue that would be a bad sign (I also disagree hugely, Stan's been a revelation for me in this show, getting to display more range than he's been able to in this franchise and made me interested in seeing more of his work outside the MCU) because the focus in the big scene they share is supposed to be Stan, so if she's pulling focus from his performance, that's a lovely editing, directing and acting choice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue that would be a bad sign (I also disagree hugely, Stan's been a revelation for me in this show, getting to display more range than he's been able to in this franchise and made me interested in seeing more of his work outside the MCU) because the focus in the big scene they share is supposed to be Stan, so if she's pulling focus from his performance, that's a lovely editing, directing and acting choice.

Stan's making a lot of generic choices. His knife play physicality is fun and all, but this isn't a performance worth writing home about.

I've seen him do better, but I think he knows what's expected of him and it's McDonalds.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

ayo is generally either beating someone's rear end or standing in stone-faced majesty, which kasumba does well, but i don't think many people were watching the scene where bucky finally breaks his brainwashing and coming away thinking about her. i will be interested to see her character maybe actually get fleshed out in coogler's show though

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tsob posted:

There's no indication during the films that Wakanda has started sharing technology with outsiders, and unlike Cap, Tony doesn't even have a friendship with T'Challa to directly link him. Also, while Tony might have gotten his arm shattered if he tried to fight the Winter Soldier, Iron Man wouldn't. Which we know because Iron Man doesn't when he fights Bucky. The suit makes him super strong and super durable to a level comparable to a super soldier, maybe even beyond it given he took on two super soldiers at once for a few minutes and his defeat was a bit of a drag out thing that took both super soldiers wearing themselves out. The additional weapons make him more lethal, but the suit is still strong even without them.

I don’t know how good of a source this is but they claim to have gotten it from a book released by Marvel, and a quick Google says that the book is from the MCU where it was compiled by Shuri.

https://screenrant.com/mcu-black-panther-iron-man-nanotechnology-armor/

And you’re absolutely right about Iron Man being able to stand toe to toe but not Tony Stark. That’s kind of the point I was making. T’Challa in the same scene in Civil War had no suit. They were also on the same side, so I’m sure they communicated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stan's making a lot of generic choices. His knife play physicality is fun and all, but this isn't a performance worth writing home about.

I've seen him do better, but I think he knows what's expected of him and it's McDonalds.

I argue the full breakdown and sobbing at being free of the brainwashing isn't a generic choice. The generic choice would be one manly tear and then maybe a brave smile. Actually showing the emotional toll is actually a good call by everyone involved.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I argue the full breakdown and sobbing at being free of the brainwashing isn't a generic choice. The generic choice would be one manly tear and then maybe a brave smile. Actually showing the emotional toll is actually a good call by everyone involved.

Could just be vocal Marvel nerds but it seems like the way Stan played that scene is getting a lot of praise.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

live with fruit posted:

Could just be vocal Marvel nerds but it seems like the way Stan played that scene is getting a lot of praise.

You don't expect MCU Russian terminator to break down on emotional tears and sobbing, and etc. So, it's quite welcomed that he is being shown as a person, not a stoic manly man man. And Stan does a good job in his acting.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And I'd bet that Mackie's Emmy tape performance comes this week. Counselor America is going to get one last crack at talking Karli down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're not wrong, even if you're being a dick, but I do think that undersells what it takes to give a good MacDonald's.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I legit think Mackie gets an Emmy nom for this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong, even if you're being a dick, but I do think that undersells what it takes to give a good MacDonald's.

I uh, wasn't intending to be dickish, just colourful.

I honestly just didn't want to use the word "generic".

Sorry if it came across that way, I genuinely didn't intend to have a fraught conversation.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Gaz-L posted:

That scene was so well done, and a really good choice because Bucky had been so emotionally closed off in the show up to that point, it makes his hanging out with Sam actually doing wholesome friend stuff (:3:) make way more sense. It's logically obvious that he doesn't want to be a murder machine with literal trigger words but seeing how big the emotional reaction was when they didn't work drove it home in a big way. And it made all the stuff with the Wakandans hugely more impactful.

The director is doing a great job on the show, and hasn't been undercutting the emotional parts with quipping which I think is my biggest complaint about MCU stuff in general.

And wow a real apology in a tv show

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Solenna posted:

The director is doing a great job on the show, and hasn't been undercutting the emotional parts with quipping which I think is my biggest complaint about MCU stuff in general.

Besides Boden/Fleck, who've still done dramedies, Skogland's the first director in the MCU without some sort of experience in comedy since Coogler, and before him it was Derrickson (which probably explains why Doctor Strange is incredibly unfunny). They've clearly hit on something learning into the comedy but it is refreshing that Skogland's pulled it back a bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm betting Disney+ has a big push for the next Emmy's for a lot of their actors. Even the nominations get them more eyes on their stuff, and they can use it as marketing.
Mackie got's a better chance than Stan I think, but there's been some really good acting so far in these shows.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Tom Tucker posted:

Lumbly and Mackie should both get a nod for their conversation about being Black in America. One of the most interesting scenes in the MCU ever and not a CGI anything in sight.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjC9rsQXHHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLygTORyE4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 18, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Walker's homemade shield is gonna be shrapnel in like 5 seconds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I assume it shatters against Sam's.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, he's gonna have a super serum-rage moment and stab someone with whatever is left of his shield.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess is Contessa will get him some vibranium if she hasn't already. I wouldn't be surprised if we expect his shield to shatter and instead it doesn't and THAT's the shock.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
There should be half a Vibranium shield lying around from the Endgame fight. I wonder where that's ended up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta think one of the consequences of the Blip and reduced borders and governments in chaos is that exactly as much vibranium was smuggled out of Wakanda as any MCU stories or developments will demand. Like even pre-Blip Klaue basically specialized in trading in it and had enough to create Vision. So its rare but not impossible to procure, especially for shady parties.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
They can say adamantium now, so

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

They can say adamantium now, so

That'd actually be a nice little nugget. Have Walker's shield be adamantium and explain it's heavier than pure vibranium, so only a superhuman can wield it properly. Makes Sam's shield more special because it's better in that anyone can use it, but lets Walker's be functionally identical. (And in a few years you can have him fight Wolverine for North American anti-hero dominance)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's also still a factor of Chitari salvage somewhere. And the Asgardians probably brought some uru or some poo poo to Earth. So the MCU Periodic Table of Elements is probably a bit of a mess these days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can I get an over/under for when we'll get Alpha Flight on D+? I'll put it at 2025.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Power pack when

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don’t forget about Gamma rays! You can just shoot anything with Gamma rays and make it super strong too!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

Power pack when

I feel like unless it's animated, it'd be like that Powerpuff Girls thing the CW are making, with them as grown-up 'child stars' dealing with their childhood trauma. Hell, the only one the comics really give a poo poo about is Julie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MCU TV: The Periodic Table is a mess these days

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I forgot that element Tony invented in Iron Man 3.

And I guess Pym Particles. And that Quantum stuff they took for Ghost and time travel.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh god, he's gonna have a super serum-rage moment and stab someone with whatever is left of his shield.

Walker has mastered the art of the down smash and won't let something like a broken shield stop him from using it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

STAC Goat posted:

I forgot that element Tony invented in Iron Man 3.

And I guess Pym Particles. And that Quantum stuff they took for Ghost and time travel.

Pym Particles I always thought were an actual molecule, not an element so they wouldn't be on the periodic table. Similar thing to the Quantum stuff, it's not an element with protons and neutrons and electrons so it goes somewhere else.

In It For The Tank posted:

Walker has mastered the art of the down smash and won't let something like a broken shield stop him from using it.

If anything , it being sharp will only make him more effective/dangerous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This would be peak "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" but I had a thought about next week's ep. We have Bucky seeking to leave behind the Winter Soldier, and he's been repeatedly called White Wolf in the series. Torres was pointedly left the wings, and the Falcon suit is generally pretty heavy on the red in it's colour scheme. And Sam has finally decided he can be Cap, and the Captain America suit is traditionally pretty heavy on the blue. Plus we have 3 villains for an action scene, in Karli, Batroc and Walker. Are we gonna get a trio of heroes in red white and blue, a Black man, a Latinx dude and a white guy, like a frickin' Fruit of the Loom ad from 1998?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Torres has been too absent from the story to suddenly insert as a hero in the last episode. Like Sam leaving his wings with him was definitely deliberate but it feels more like the Patriot leads. The first breadcrumbs for something potentially down the line.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, about secondary villain motivations, they mention a couple times that Batroc really doesn't like Sam...why? Wasn't he locked up during everything Sam has ever done? Or do we think this going to be "I, too, am mad that you gave up the shield because I respect Captain America" noble villain thing he sometimes gets in the comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boxman posted:

So, about secondary villain motivations, they mention a couple times that Batroc really doesn't like Sam...why? Wasn't he locked up during everything Sam has ever done? Or do we think this going to be "I, too, am mad that you gave up the shield because I respect Captain America" noble villain thing he sometimes gets in the comics

Batroc was leading the group of terrorists Sam fought in the first episode, wasn't he?