Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My Cometeer order just arrived; tomorrow morning should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i tried the Tales Coffee v60 thing, which is basically "make a well then pour your entire pour in one 30s go" and it's both the simplest method i've done and also the first time i've actually got really good, sweet coffee out of this v60

truly not sure where i'm loving up Hoffman or 4:6 (probably my grind, as i had a bad old infinity until recently) but i have just not had good luck with those two super-popular methods

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A 30 second V60 is probably underextracted and "incorrect," but who cares if it tastes good to you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

A 30 second V60 is probably underextracted and "incorrect," but who cares if it tastes good to you.

turns out i was totally misremembering, it's "one pour in around 60 seconds, for about 2:00-2:30 total time" not one pour in 30s, but it was just the opposite, it's the first time i properly extracted it and didn't get something weak and overly sour

odds are i just got lucky and finally didn't gently caress up some combination of several variables in some way, i should probably go back and re-try the other methods with the new grinder

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 16, 2021

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Roasting question:

Currently running a behmore 1600 and have had fine luck with it for just over two years now. Starting to get to the point where I'm annoyed with displays and the rigidity of the program and how annoying it is to deviate from it.

It's fine but was curious if the thread has any recommendations for upgrades? I roast 1lb green every 5-6 days or so. That's definitely at the top of the range for the behmore and I should probably be doing less per batch. Ideally I'd like to see something with a bit larger capacity so I can more easily do 1lb batches.

I was looking at the Bullet but was curious if there were other suggestions? I'm in an apartment so my options are electric only. I mean really people do fine on a stove top and my roaster is working well so it's not a huge deal - just haven't seen much and they really get pretty expensive quite fast. Hard to justify it when a pan or my behmore works well enough.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Newsman posted:

I was looking at the Bullet but was curious if there were other suggestions? I'm in an apartment so my options are electric only. I mean really people do fine on a stove top and my roaster is working well so it's not a huge deal - just haven't seen much and they really get pretty expensive quite fast. Hard to justify it when a pan or my behmore works well enough.

there's also the gene cafe and the hot top, both of which are cheaper than a bullet and i think upgrades relative to the behmor? but are still only in the 1/2lb range

not an expert or anything but i think moving up to a pound or more without using gas is just going to be a big price jump regardless, since that size seems to be generally marketed towards existing businesses that want a sample roaster or really high-end consumers

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

James Hoffman has talked about the aeropress for over 40 minutes now and still hasn't gotten to his ultimate recipe technique yet, and I'm loving it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unsurprisingly, most of the weird technique details that internet coffee people get worked up about don't matter in the end result.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

withak posted:

Unsurprisingly, most of the weird technique details that internet coffee people get worked up about don't matter in the end result.

yeah it was nice to see someone confirm that pressing through to the puck doesn't actually change anything, nor does rinsing the filters

also the part where best results were at 100C, then 80C, and the in-between temps were worse was interesting

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

eke out posted:

there's also the gene cafe and the hot top, both of which are cheaper than a bullet and i think upgrades relative to the behmor? but are still only in the 1/2lb range

not an expert or anything but i think moving up to a pound or more without using gas is just going to be a big price jump regardless, since that size seems to be generally marketed towards existing businesses that want a sample roaster or really high-end consumers

Yeah, that amount of money will buy a lot of roasted coffee. Thanks for the recs there - might just look more into the gene cafe/hot top.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr Newsman posted:

Roasting question:

Currently running a behmore 1600 and have had fine luck with it for just over two years now. Starting to get to the point where I'm annoyed with displays and the rigidity of the program and how annoying it is to deviate from it.

It's fine but was curious if the thread has any recommendations for upgrades? I roast 1lb green every 5-6 days or so. That's definitely at the top of the range for the behmore and I should probably be doing less per batch. Ideally I'd like to see something with a bit larger capacity so I can more easily do 1lb batches.

i pretty much only roast in 1lb batches on that and i don't have nearly the problems the internet seems to have with it. with that said i'd consider either of those (gene, hot top) sidegrades, to be honest, specifically when it comes to volume. not suggesting they aren't worth looking at, though. really comes down to how much cash you wanna drop. there's the bullet and the artisans. the jake kilo from behmor might or might not come out this year, but it requires a 20amp 120v circuit.

when you talk about the rigidity and deviation, what are you trying to do, out of curiosity? obviously you can't quite dial things in like you can on some of the alternatives. logging software aside, my biggest complaint with the behmor is just that i wish it had more displays of temperature at all times.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mediaphage posted:

with that said i'd consider either of those (gene, hot top) sidegrades, to be honest, specifically when it comes to volume.

yeah that's what i meant, they might be better in some ways but if the main problem is "i want to roast 1lb+" then they don't solve it

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

Roasting question:

You may have already made your decision but I quite liked going from a Behmor/Gene Cafe to a Bullet. I really started to dislike not having temp readouts on both of my previous roasters, and I never did the amounts you did because the roasts would just not get enough heat. The consistency of roasts is fantastic, and roasting >1lb cuts back a lot on the time spent doing so. I believe after a year and change of having it I get roasts just as good if not better than most places I could order from and those around me feel the same. I cheated a bit on this though as I had personal advice from an online retailer who used the Bullet exclusively.

I do 4 cups of filter coffee in the morning and a latte in the afternoon most days and then four lattes on the weekends for reference. I like to give coffee to family/friends/coworkers too so it's nice to spend 10ish minutes to do a 1lb for them too.

I had a serious issue w my Bullet upon arrival but SMs fixed it and seasoned my drum in the process and zero issues thereafter, so I can only speak well about having the Bullet after the initial hiccups.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

mediaphage posted:

when you talk about the rigidity and deviation, what are you trying to do, out of curiosity? obviously you can't quite dial things in like you can on some of the alternatives. logging software aside, my biggest complaint with the behmor is just that i wish it had more displays of temperature at all times.

Mainly it's that the temperature readouts, drum speed, and the roast profiles aren't really discernable from the panel. I'd think I'd be happier working in terms of numbers rather than "start p1, hold A until temp reads xxxx, hit p5, don't let it overheat, then move back to p1". I don't do this currently but just run at p1, but if I wanted more control I think this is gonna be a headache.

I've found that my 1lb roasts are taking 18-20 minutes and I'm noticing that things are tasting pretty samey between different beans. I gave it a real thorough clean and have been better about preheating lately though.

Ed Jurak posted:

You may have already made your decision but I quite liked going from a Behmor/Gene Cafe to a Bullet. I really started to dislike not having temp readouts on both of my previous roasters, and I never did the amounts you did because the roasts would just not get enough heat.

This is awesome, thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear it's working so we'll. I would like to do more roasting for friends / gifts / whatever and I think that would benefit from a higher throughput significantly.

How do you handle the smoke? Do you duct it out or are you roasting in a garage? The behmore does a good enough job so that my smoke alarm doesn't go off in the apartment (1lb to a bit past first crack usually) but I think it technically has some smoke suppression built in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is funny because i am very disappointed with the behmor on smoke suppression personally. i managed to finally make it useable indoors in a small bathroom with the window open and a booster fan evacuating the atmosphere.

for what it's worth i find it pretty hard to really overheat. not saying you can't, of course, but i've done multiple 1lb roasts on 5 (max) the whole time. i tend to do the part you find finicky (which is fair) where i check temps periodically (mostly just to see where it is, i find the temperature specificity required to be more general than not), then just control temps with the p butts.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah I really think it's terrible smoke wise as well. I have a feeling it's better than when I used to do it on the stove, but I haven't done that for a while so I can't remember.

I don't think it's a bad roaster at all and I've enjoyed doing this for the past couple of years. Just starting to get the itch to upgrade to something that is more similar to a professional roaster.

Don't ever plan to sell coffee or work as a roaster but I think there are a good amount of benefits to the bullet. But pretty drat expensive still. Would be harder to break even with something like the bullet (as a justification for the expense, enjoyment of the hobby and personal growth or whatever not taken into consideration).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Newsman posted:

Yeah I really think it's terrible smoke wise as well. I have a feeling it's better than when I used to do it on the stove, but I haven't done that for a while so I can't remember.

I don't think it's a bad roaster at all and I've enjoyed doing this for the past couple of years. Just starting to get the itch to upgrade to something that is more similar to a professional roaster.

Don't ever plan to sell coffee or work as a roaster but I think there are a good amount of benefits to the bullet. But pretty drat expensive still. Would be harder to break even with something like the bullet (as a justification for the expense, enjoyment of the hobby and personal growth or whatever not taken into consideration).

i found a good alternative for you: https://zcroasters.com/buy/mini-sniper-m2-coffee-roaster-300g/

lmao look at this thing

what if we take the design principles of... gun... and apply to coffee

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This product was entirely contrived to make a "shot" pun

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

xtal posted:

This product was entirely contrived to make a "shot" pun

precise roasts, shot each coffee!

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

This is awesome, thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear it's working so we'll. I would like to do more roasting for friends / gifts / whatever and I think that would benefit from a higher throughput significantly.

How do you handle the smoke? Do you duct it out or are you roasting in a garage? The behmore does a good enough job so that my smoke alarm doesn't go off in the apartment (1lb to a bit past first crack usually) but I think it technically has some smoke suppression built in.

So I originally 3D printed the adapter for the duct to vent out of my window as I wanted to roast next to my computer. However, my apartment has a fireplace in it so what I ended up doing was positioning the Bullet halfway inside the fireplace with the display and controls facing outward. Without the adapter, the smoke goes right up and out of the chimney. Then I picked up a 20 foot USB extension cable and voila I was in business.

You're going to want the adapter unless you're lucky like me w the fireplace. It has gotten QUITE roasty in the apartment and I've set off the fire alarm once not opening the chimney accidentally.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

eke out posted:

i found a good alternative for you: https://zcroasters.com/buy/mini-sniper-m2-coffee-roaster-300g/

lmao look at this thing

Freshly roasted coffee will bring us all together.

Ed Jurak posted:

So I originally 3D printed the adapter for the duct to vent out of my window as I wanted to roast next to my computer.

This is what I was probably going to do and vent it out the window. Just an issue for winter roasting really.

Thanks for the response though, maybe this is finally what pushes me to buy a house. Jk still can't afford them in my area.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good manual grinder that's available in Canada? Currently looking at 1zpresso JX-pro for $220 CAD, but I'm super tempted to get a Timemore* C2 on Aliexpress for $90 CAD instead.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2021

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

xtal posted:

What's a good manual grinder that's available in Canada? Currently looking at 1zpresso JX-pro for $220 CAD, but I'm super tempted to get a Timemade C2 on Aliexpress for $90 CAD instead.

JX-pro is a great grinder (somewhat wider distribution, prob better for espresso than filter). Not familiar with the other one but the jx-pro could ward off home invaders.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just bought a JX non-pro - it seems pretty legit though all I've used it for so far is moka pot and cold brew. The timemore chestnut C2 is a lot cheaper and gets good reviews but I got scared off by the plastic innards

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
I got myself a basic set-up thanks to this thread; Clever coffee dripper and a Baratza Encore grinder.

Been drinking Tassimo pod stuff for years and man what an upgrade this is. I had to put milk/sugar in my coffee before to make it even close to palatable, but the first cup I made with some locally roasted beans out of this new set-up was so good I wouldn't want to add anything to it.

Should have switched a long time ago.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thank you thread! I was not fully sold on a basic Moka pot and a Baratza Encore grinder, but once I found good beans, I finally saw the light. SoCal is getting warm, so I did my first half-assed attempt at cold brewing and it was a :pcgaming: success. This summer is going to be refreshing!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dedian posted:

JX-pro is a great grinder (somewhat wider distribution, prob better for espresso than filter). Not familiar with the other one but the jx-pro could ward off home invaders.

i've also had my eye on this normcore that's been getting good reviews, but i have not used it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Manual-Coffee...substore&sr=1-2

xtal posted:

What's a good manual grinder that's available in Canada? Currently looking at 1zpresso JX-pro for $220 CAD, but I'm super tempted to get a Timemore* C2 on Aliexpress for $90 CAD instead.

if you want the timemore eightouncecoffee has it for $100 CAD, but it's presumably shipping from within canada (you can always ask)

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/products/timemore-c2-grinder

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
If you had told me pre-covid that I would have watched a 30 minute video from start to finish about the nuances and various testing methods of brewing coffee from a silly looking plastic device I would have found that rather unbelievable, but here we are. (I still prefer my clever dripper).

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Sneeing Emu posted:

If you had told me pre-covid that I would have watched a 30 minute video from start to finish about the nuances and various testing methods of brewing coffee from a silly looking plastic device I would have found that rather unbelievable, but here we are. (I still prefer my clever dripper).

Do you prefer clever for taste or process (I'd greatly prefer clever for process, it's so easy)? Clever and aeropress are pretty much the same brewing method otherwise.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

dedian posted:

Do you prefer clever for taste or process (I'd greatly prefer clever for process, it's so easy)? Clever and aeropress are pretty much the same brewing method otherwise.

Taste and consistency so far. It makes a great cup every time, I had more variable results with the Aeropress. And yeah super simple to use.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hrm. Well, I broke and ordered one of those open-box Cafelat Robots from idrinkcoffee.

Anyone have any advice? I suspect the tricky thing to start will be getting grind size down; I have a Kruve sifter but I'm not sure what particle size to aim for for espresso - I've only been doing Aeropress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Hrm. Well, I broke and ordered one of those open-box Cafelat Robots from idrinkcoffee.

Anyone have any advice? I suspect the tricky thing to start will be getting grind size down; I have a Kruve sifter but I'm not sure what particle size to aim for for espresso - I've only been doing Aeropress.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts anyway

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

What grinder do you have? Sifting will be kind of a pain but will probably work/help. Manual levers are really forgiving of grind inconsistencies but you'll need to get in the general ballpark. Dose will also affect what grind size you need (so you can adjust dose up or down if your grind steps are too big). Check out the espresso compass for adjustment guides (and by "check out" I mean come back to it a couple times because it's a lot to wrap your head around at times :)) https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-espresso-compass/

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

dedian posted:

What grinder do you have? Sifting will be kind of a pain but will probably work/help. Manual levers are really forgiving of grind inconsistencies but you'll need to get in the general ballpark. Dose will also affect what grind size you need (so you can adjust dose up or down if your grind steps are too big). Check out the espresso compass for adjustment guides (and by "check out" I mean come back to it a couple times because it's a lot to wrap your head around at times :)) https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-espresso-compass/

I've got a Virtuoso+ from a previous idrinkcoffee open-box sale, so I should be good on that front; I'd been using an 18g 1:18 ratio in the Aeropress so I'll have to bring the dose down a bit, I suspect.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've got a Virtuoso+ from a previous idrinkcoffee open-box sale, so I should be good on that front; I'd been using an 18g 1:18 ratio in the Aeropress so I'll have to bring the dose down a bit, I suspect.

please post how that works for you, as i've been flirting with buying a robot but i also don't really want to buy an espresso grinder to replace this virtuoso+

though everyone seems like jx pros and they're a mere 170 new

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 21, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My cafelat robot was supposed to arrive tomorrow so I picked up some of my local shop’s espresso beans, a medium roast ground by the shop. I’ve never had their espresso so I ordered one to go with the beans. It was awful, extremely sour. My robot arrived today instead of tomorrow so I tried it out with the beans I bought and got the same result. So I guess I’m doing it right but the beans are not to my liking. Is there any tweak to the process for getting something less sour? I intend to go get a darker roast as that seems like the quickest fix and the normal thing for espresso.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

My cafelat robot was supposed to arrive tomorrow so I picked up some of my local shop’s espresso beans, a medium roast ground by the shop. I’ve never had their espresso so I ordered one to go with the beans. It was awful, extremely sour. My robot arrived today instead of tomorrow so I tried it out with the beans I bought and got the same result. So I guess I’m doing it right but the beans are not to my liking. Is there any tweak to the process for getting something less sour? I intend to go get a darker roast as that seems like the quickest fix and the normal thing for espresso.

sounds like under extracted so finer grind, lower dose, higher temp?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

sounds like under extracted so finer grind, lower dose, higher temp?

I brewed at 98° C, 17g of coffee, 60g of water, pressed at about 9 bars. The water can’t get much hotter and it’s already ground so what would be reasonable to drop the dose to?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

I brewed at 98° C, 17g of coffee, 60g of water, pressed at about 9 bars. The water can’t get much hotter and it’s already ground so what would be reasonable to drop the dose to?

it probably won't matter, but I think the robot is supposed to be boiling water as the cup you pour into will suck some of the heat out. I'm assuming that's 60g of water in, how much espresso are you pulling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

it probably won't matter, but I think the robot is supposed to be boiling water as the cup you pour into will suck some of the heat out. I'm assuming that's 60g of water in, how much espresso are you pulling?

unsure, as i don’t have a scale that will fit underneath. my guess is around 30g. how much should i be pulling?

Dren fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 22, 2021