Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schadenboner posted:

@GamesWerkshop is a GW parody Twitter account that commonly gets posted as if it were actual GW?

Yes and that post isn't from @gamesWerkshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes and that post isn't from @gamesWerkshop

(As noted.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can buy GW underestimating demand and not being sure enough to commit to a second printing before release. The first two fantasy Warhammer Quest boxes sold like dog poo poo at half the price. Just because BSF was successful didn't mean the success would transfer to Cursed City, 40k has traditionally sold much better than Fantasy/AoS.

Another possibility is that they intended to launch a little later but pushed it up to take advantage of the US' stimulus checks and told their fabricator to ship what was ready and keep working on the rest.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qbFAKqypY&t=219s

No idea if this YouTuber is any good but this video makes a plausible guess that new trade tariffs under Brexit make the boxes poor value (edit: for GW) on account of the contents being largely produced in China. It speculates that a reprint may happen if GW sources a printer closer to home.

There's a bunch of different possibilities but no reason for their communication to be so poor. It's almost like they're trying to erase all history of the product- they've even taken down the store page with the handy 360* pictures I was using as a painting reference.

I hope there are still expansions coming for it but who knows at this stage.

Drunken_Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 16, 2021

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If any Aus goons are reading this and missed out, GUF games has multiple copies available for $10 less than retail on their site.

I’m going to snag a copy I think.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Drunken_Pirate posted:

- they've even taken down the store page with the handy 360* pictures I was using as a painting reference.

I hate it so much when they do this

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are the models in Cursed City even any good in Age of Sigmar? I'm just curious, I've already decided that if I did ever get into AoS, it would be with the Hedonites of Slaanesh or Daughters of Khaine (yes I know they're not good but how often do lamias show up in anything fantasy, let alone miniature games) and as far as I know, none of the models would synergise with either of those armies.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Yeast posted:

If any Aus goons are reading this and missed out, GUF games has multiple copies available for $10 less than retail on their site.

I’m going to snag a copy I think.

Thanks for the heads up! Just snagged a copy.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Randalor posted:

Are the models in Cursed City even any good in Age of Sigmar? I'm just curious, I've already decided that if I did ever get into AoS, it would be with the Hedonites of Slaanesh or Daughters of Khaine (yes I know they're not good but how often do lamias show up in anything fantasy, let alone miniature games) and as far as I know, none of the models would synergise with either of those armies.

Not sure how they compare because I don't play the war game, but I took these earlier. I think they look really nice.

https://imgur.com/a/HOwhV6k

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

The FLGS where I got my copy just posted that they got official confirmation that Cursed City was a limited product, and they will get no more copies, even tho they have multiple pending orders. So now they are refunding everyone left hanging.

Now I consider myself really fuckin lucky that I was at the shop the moment they got the boxes delivered. This is sad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm slowly putting together the Cursed City minis and some thoughts:

- Goddamn, GW is trash at organizing sprues. Jelsen's parts are sequentially numbered, but inexplicably scattered over the sprue.

- Goddamn, GW is trash at designing gate locations. The rat decoration for the Vargskyr has a giantass gate on the rat's underbelly and I nearly broke the drat thing trying to maneuver my clippers, my knives, my anything to remove it.

Bandai's kits have spoiled me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Bandai's kits have spoiled me.

To be fair, Bandai has been making models for decades at this point, and have worked on not only making multi-colored spues, but actually have fully working pre-formed assemblies in their kits. Games Workshop... probably just thought "Plastic machine go brr brr" for a decade or so there.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm slowly putting together the Cursed City minis and some thoughts:

- Goddamn, GW is trash at organizing sprues. Jelsen's parts are sequentially numbered, but inexplicably scattered over the sprue.

This is an incredibly myopic complaint, you're comparing apples and oranges. Bandai's kits have the luxury of wasting acres of space on their sprues because their use of coloured plastics requires more sprues and generally they're selling single models. They aren't selling you a squad or an entire game in a box GW are using the space on their sprues in the most efficient way they can to get as much as they can onto each sprue because the denser it is the more they can fit in the box.

quote:

- Goddamn, GW is trash at designing gate locations. The rat decoration for the Vargskyr has a giantass gate on the rat's underbelly and I nearly broke the drat thing trying to maneuver my clippers, my knives, my anything to remove it.
This is a far more reasonable and justified complaint. Please never buy older Necron Warriors.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The FLGS where I got my copy just posted that they got official confirmation that Cursed City was a limited product, and they will get no more copies, even tho they have multiple pending orders. So now they are refunding everyone left hanging.

Now I consider myself really fuckin lucky that I was at the shop the moment they got the boxes delivered. This is sad.

Well gently caress you GW for being an awful company. That's just amazingly bad, if it's true. We'll see. It's really completely gone from the website, except for the novel that they're still flogging. I should have know better.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 17, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Something really wild must have happened behind the scenes and I really wish they would just be open about it and tell us rather than this cloak and dagger poo poo

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Randalor posted:

Daughters of Khaine are really good in AoS.

None of the models are usable in either of those armies, but none of them are any good anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You don't need to guess at what happened or pretend there's a conspiracy of omertà. poo poo's hosed. Globally and locally. It's entirely possible they have somehow maliciously decided to spite the customers, but common sense and a tiny bit of sanity would say that they are probably trying to make as much money as they can and turning a planned ongoing game system into a one off limited run doesn't jive with that.
They probably aren't going to tell us anything officially until they have something they can say that minimises damage, and given the situation that might take a while. This is not exactly unusual behaviour for a large company.

This whole situation reminds me of the Indomitus release where they made more copies of that box than they had of any other product and then instantly sold out. The community here and on the wider internet lost their loving minds and acted like absolute infants about it because they refused to be rational. And then a few working days later GW, having had meetings and come up with a plan, announced a print on demand run as soon as they had time on the machines.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It doesn't have to be malice. Incompetence is also very annoying. Their solution to the Indomitus problem, where their big starter was sold out in preorders long before the new edition was even released and replaced with starters that were a worse value, that was also very annoying.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Are you drunk?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Are you? You are making up excuses for why GW would theoretically not be able to support the very game they've been hyping for months, but not reasons why they would not be communicating about any of said issues. Instead, you are pretending that GW are saying other things than what they are saying through their official channels.

Afaik for Indomitus they went "holy poo poo you guys ordered a lot. Great! We love this product, so don't worry, you'll be able to pre-order for future waves if you missed out", while for Cursed City they've said "don't expect more. Go to your local store and fight over the handful of boxes they might already have put away for other custormers". These two things are not the same. Scrubbing the site of everything Cursed City except for the novel is not filling me with confidence.

But who knows, the community telling GW that this sucks might be enough for them to reconsider a second print. It might not. No matter what, they've handled it badly. Individual minis are from the box are now being sold for $15-20 each locally. Great.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 17, 2021

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

lilljonas posted:

Afaik for Indomitus they went "holy poo poo you guys ordered a lot. Great! We love this product, so don't worry, you'll be able to pre-order for future waves if you missed out",

After a period of confusion where their social media people and the LGSs didn't know what the gently caress was happening they put out that announcement, yes. That's what I said. It happened after there was time for the people who make plans and decisions to work out what was happening and find a slot in the production schedule. Meanwhile this forum was rolling around flailing their arms and legs crying while a few people said "stop being loving infants".

I'm not saying it's impossible that GW have hosed this in a totally stupid way. They absolutely have historical form for that. I'm saying perhaps people should act like rational adult human beings in the face of an understandable interruption to the normal way of things and exercise just a modicum of patience and dignity.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm saying perhaps people should act like rational adult human beings in the face of an understandable interruption to the normal way of things and exercise just a modicum of patience and dignity.

nobody is not doing that in this thread

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

After a period of confusion where their social media people and the LGSs didn't know what the gently caress was happening they put out that announcement, yes. That's what I said. It happened after there was time for the people who make plans and decisions to work out what was happening and find a slot in the production schedule. Meanwhile this forum was rolling around flailing their arms and legs crying while a few people said "stop being loving infants".

I'm not saying it's impossible that GW have hosed this in a totally stupid way. They absolutely have historical form for that. I'm saying perhaps people should act like rational adult human beings in the face of an understandable interruption to the normal way of things and exercise just a modicum of patience and dignity.

Well I hope I’m wrong and GW either manage to fix things according to plan or reconsider due to pressure from fans. But they’re not exactly covering themselves in glory in my eyes right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Randalor posted:

To be fair, Bandai has been making models for decades at this point, and have worked on not only making multi-colored spues, but actually have fully working pre-formed assemblies in their kits. Games Workshop... probably just thought "Plastic machine go brr brr" for a decade or so there.

GW has been doing plastics for 33 years. Bandai has a bigger investment in their design and production stages, but GW is very good at minimizing the number of sprues to keep boxes smaller.

Their first set was the plastic Mk VI space marines. It had 17 spruces, 15 A & C and 2 B sprues. Each could make 2 marines. It sold for US$22.95 in 1988. For thirty figures and lots of extra bits for customization. It's the best value they ever produced by a wide margin.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/08/40k-retro-the-first-plastic-marines-rtb01-set.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

Something really wild must have happened behind the scenes and I really wish they would just be open about it and tell us rather than this cloak and dagger poo poo

It would be better for everyone if they were more open but :capitalism:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mllaneza posted:

GW has been doing plastics for 33 years. Bandai has a bigger investment in their design and production stages, but GW is very good at minimizing the number of sprues to keep boxes smaller.

Their first set was the plastic Mk VI space marines. It had 17 spruces, 15 A & C and 2 B sprues. Each could make 2 marines. It sold for US$22.95 in 1988. For thirty figures and lots of extra bits for customization. It's the best value they ever produced by a wide margin.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/08/40k-retro-the-first-plastic-marines-rtb01-set.html

Huh, that's actually really neat to see, but I was more referring to how Games Workshop seemed like they were actively trying to shoot themselves in the feet for awhile there (we even had a whole series of threads on SA betting on when they would go under for crying out loud) and seemed like they were trying their damnedest to avoid making things out of plastics rather than resin or metal (I want to say that the first GW Death Bet thread predated plastic Sisters of Battle) while going on about "We don't sell minis, we sell tiny gems of wonder" or whatever the then-CEO was going on about between bouts of huffing his own farts.

And Bandai started making models in the 1970's, but I'm not sure if those early ones would have been plastic or resin or something else, the earliest one I can find that was explicitly plastic on a quick google search was in July 1980 with the launch of the Gundam plastic models line.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Bandai was making plastic Revell-style model kits at least as early as the 1960s. The Gundam line was directly preceded by the Yamato line in the mid-70s.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
GW being as "good" as they are these days is a miracle

we can and should expect more from companies but it's amazing how much they've improved

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Improbable Lobster posted:

GW being as "good" as they are these days is a miracle

we can and should expect more from companies but it's amazing how much they've improved

It was pretty much all Tom Kirby. poo poo started going downhill when he took over and immediately got better once he left.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As devastatingly poo poo as he was in later years, he is credited with having the foresight to run down the LoTR license which bankrolled their colossal leap forward in plastic production capability.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
lmao who got mad enough at you over plastic toys to pay for that av

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

Lol not me but batting for Kirby in the SG thread requires balls

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I hope now you see the depth of your failure, GW. By not having enough stock of plastic vampires available during a global supply crisis, nerds have to resort to spending their hobby cash on passive-aggressive forum avatars instead.

This is a far more reasonable and justified complaint. Please never buy older Necron Warriors.

:agreed:
Even with some of the newish AT titans, I was finding gates in places that left zero room for error. Best hope you didn't miss filling down that tiny sliver of plastic before gluing together!

Also goddamn the Warmaster kit is both cool and complicated. Pretty sure the torso alone has more components than entire 2nd edition armies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strobe posted:

Someone who is not a fan of you either from the sound of it, given your redtext.

lilljonas posted:

Lol not me but batting for Kirby in the SG thread requires balls
Honestly, saying Kirby got GW the LotR licence is not really batting for him. Given that the same sentence also says he sucks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Strobe posted:

:iiam:

I am however shocked that there is a crossover between being Very Mad about toy delays in a global tragedy and thinking the idea of a big, warm, juicy cock filling your mouth is inherently insulting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
No to mention I don't appreciate the implication that playing Stormcast is a negative thing :mad:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

:iiam:

I am however shocked that there is a crossover between being Very Mad about toy delays in a global tragedy and thinking the idea of a big, warm, juicy cock filling your mouth is inherently insulting.

We should never forget your crowning achievement in GW Simping. Even if I don't understand why anyone would pay 10 bucks to mock you on multiple occasions. Cuz if you are a gimmick I respect your commitment to Sparkle Motion over a good 6 years or so at this point. I've been into GW and 40k since I first got my Rogue Trader rule book in Summer 91 and I ain't ever worshipped them the way you do. Seriously you are like Q Anon or Apple or Linux levels of defensive over GW and its really weird dude.

(Sorry Sigmarines suck. Their only use is to be Thunder Warrior mods.)

Anyhow its all stupid about this Whq thing but im not that thrilled with Blackstone Fortress so never cared about this one. BSF is really limited though its not a bad game by any means. Also expansions are highway robbery. I was hoping it was more like mid 90s WHQ which I have and really like. I want my quasi rpg board games to be flexible and allow me to use more of my stupid toys ill never paint.

Core Space and to a lesser extent Star Saga have a lot more I can do with them to the point Core Space can be completely reskinned into pretty much any Sci Fi thing instead of the weird Pirates of Dark Water meets Firefly setting it has.

plus it can look really impressive even before one gets silly with 3d terrain n stuff. Not the most portable game in the world for quick play though. Neither is Heroscape but it looks rad set up.

There is something to be said for spectacle though.

Which is kinda the appeal of minis games in general?

tiles just means cats decide to become the Hive Mind. :3

Never forget the irritation but impressive work of making Orkhaus. (And finding the 2 missing plastic bulkheads months later so I could have 2x complete Orkhaus.)

But yeah it is real dumb a game people wanted GW seems to have borked it all up.

I do agree the sprue and number layouts n where they put gates and seams is a right butt though.

these models are great but everything is scattered and the giant seams demanding extra model glue or green stuff are like just out in the open. On minis I'm not quite sure how to safely transport. That came in a drat Barnes n Nobel exclusive starter set. Really? I don't wanna break my new Spoopy Banshees!

Oh this is a Dunkin drive thru? And I've actually been able to order something? Yeah gimme a plain stick and a large iced coffee.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Captain Rufus posted:

We should never forget your crowning achievement in GW Simping. Even if I don't understand why anyone would pay 10 bucks to mock you on multiple occasions. Cuz if you are a gimmick I respect your commitment to Sparkle Motion over a good 6 years or so at this point. I've been into GW and 40k since I first got my Rogue Trader rule book in Summer 91 and I ain't ever worshipped them the way you do. Seriously you are like Q Anon or Apple or Linux levels of defensive over GW and its really weird dude.

Anyhow its all stupid about this Whq thing but im not that thrilled with Blackstone Fortress so never cared about this one. BSF is really limited though its not a bad game by any means. Also expansions are highway robbery. I was hoping it was more like mid 90s WHQ which I have and really like. I want my quasi rpg board games to be flexible and allow me to use more of my stupid toys ill never paint.

Core Space and to a lesser extent Star Saga have a lot more I can do with them to the point Core Space can be completely reskinned into pretty much any Sci Fi thing instead of the weird Pirates of Dark Water meets Firefly setting it has.

plus it can look really impressive even before one gets silly with 3d terrain n stuff. Not the most portable game in the world for quick play though. Neither is Heroscape but it looks rad set up.

Never forget the irritation but impressive work of making Orkhaus. (And finding the 2 missing plastic bulkheads months later so I could have 2x complete Orkhaus.)

But yeah it is real dumb a game people wanted GW seems to have borked it all up.

I do agree the sprue and number layouts n where they put gates and seams is a right butt though.

these models are great but everything is scattered and the giant seams demanding extra model glue or green stuff are like just out in the open. On minis I'm not quite sure how to safely transport. That came in a drat Barnes n Nobel exclusive starter set. Really? I don't wanna break my new Spoopy Banshees!

Oh this is a Dunkin drive thru? And I've actually been able to order something? Yeah gimme a plain stick and a large iced coffee.

Captain Poopus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Captain Rufus posted:

Rufus you're stealing valor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK posting about posters and their posting failings is over now. Feel free to discuss games workshop and its failings if you want, but it's unnecessary to resort to digging through rap sheets etc.