Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don’t have a masters in security studies or anything but uh... are y’all having a little civil war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What thread is that since I aint clicking poo poo

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t have a masters in security studies or anything but uh... are y’all having a little civil war?

No, mass shootings are just kind of a normal american thing.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

A civil war needs to originate from the civil region of France. We're having a sparkling breakdown of a previously functioning capitalist exploitation wasteland.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Laranzu posted:

A civil war needs to originate from the civil region of France. We're having a sparkling breakdown of a previously functioning capitalist exploitation wasteland.

Thank you for the clarification. :discourse:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This day feel weird as poo poo to anyone else, forum wise

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Blue Angels are about to do their first program of the year with their new jets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDf0-IHkqg

It's a low program, though. :smith:

DreamFlight's idea about "triggering the memories [WW2 vets] had when they were there" seems well-intentioned, but fraught with problems.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

This day feel weird as poo poo to anyone else, forum wise

Every day feels like it was written by a Zucker and directed by John Landis in the late 70s.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

What thread is that since I aint clicking poo poo

Idiots on social media. Its sanitized at this point and fairly safe, unless you want to argue about ad hominem attacks limiting discourse, and something about FYAD bad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FrozenVent posted:

Technically...not yet.

When people who've never known hunger other than "I skipped lunch" in the US start going hungry for the first time...all bets are off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Technically...not yet.

When people who've never known hunger other than "I skipped lunch" in the US start going hungry for the first time...all bets are off.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see food riots in the us in our lifetimes, and it's gonna be wild.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Midjack posted:

I'm pretty sure we're going to see food riots in the us in our lifetimes, and it's gonna be wild.

I've always wondered how that would play out. Where I live now, I'm surrounded by farms and I can't help but wonder if we'd be alright due to local food production, or if it would be a holodomor situation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The food price index is at 125%, which I think is like the highest since 1974 or something?

Also lumber price is going to the moon as fast as bitcoin. The ups and down since the 1970's look like noise compared to current cost.

e;

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

The food price index is at 125%, which I think is like the highest since 1974 or something?

Also lumber price is going to the moon as fast as bitcoin. The ups and down since the 1970's look like noise compared to current cost.

e;

Was going to say. Food inflation jumped a huge amount and was hidden by the fall in gas prices during COVID.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I've always wondered how that would play out. Where I live now, I'm surrounded by farms and I can't help but wonder if we'd be alright due to local food production, or if it would be a holodomor situation.

It'll be like the British East India Company and the Bengal famine. All the food gets shipped off to satisfy the contracts unless you have enough locally-aligned military power willing to throw down over it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

yeah if you all wanna track various commodity metrics, this is a really convenient futures dashboard:
https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=SOFTS&p=m1
https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=GRAINS&p=m1
etc.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Was going to say. Food inflation jumped a huge amount and was hidden by the fall in gas prices during COVID.

Food and lumber going the way of healthcare/education/childcare etc is just inflation working its way down the hierarchy of needs lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The food/lumber/appliance/etc inflation isn't so much regular inflation, but a supply/demand mismatch. A lot of factories closed early on in the pandemic, then closed again during the surge waves to decrease supply. Then, the plant managers thought demand was going to flatline for consumer goods and building materials, and cut production accordingly, then oops we don't have enough to sell with this hyperdemand!

That's one of the main reasons why Republicans are only halfheartedly ringing the INFLATION IS SKYROCKETING CANCEL ALL SPENDING bell. It's not that the dollar doesn't go as far, it's just that there's less stuff to actually buy with it right now.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Not sure if it's the same as food rationing, but there is a pretty good chance a huge chunk of the Western US is gonna have to deal with severe water shortages this summer. Can't wait to see poor people stand in line for gallons of water while fat midwesterners flock to LV to gawk at the Bellagio fountains.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

pmchem posted:

yeah if you all wanna track various commodity metrics, this is a really convenient futures dashboard:
https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=SOFTS&p=m1
https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=GRAINS&p=m1
etc.

It's pretty fun because you can check this stuff out yet the fed says inflation is only at 4 or 5% right now

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

At least here lumber is through the roof in part because everybody is renovating.

I got a quote for some renos and the cheapest quote came back 2x what me and the bank expected. So I’m keeping the asbestos for now.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
We're in a frenzied boom economy when everyone thought covid would cause a depression I think

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Not sure if it's the same as food rationing, but there is a pretty good chance a huge chunk of the Western US is gonna have to deal with severe water shortages this summer. Can't wait to see poor people stand in line for gallons of water while fat midwesterners flock to LV to gawk at the Bellagio fountains.

It's ok, some dipshit government employee at Hoover said it was fine, the Bellagio owns that water!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bengy81 posted:

May not last much longer in Vegas than the rest of the region. Last couple of trips I've seen people stealing water from the hoses behind every 7-11 I pass in the middle of the night.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

It's pretty fun because you can check this stuff out yet the fed says inflation is only at 4 or 5% right now

Thought last meeting it was still under 3%. Its concentrated in certain areas which is why you don't see it. Sitting at home all the time makes people want to renovate.

Season was extremely dry with no snow pack so its going to be bad in fires, water availability and food production.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

They are still looking for the dude. The area is set up in a way that they need lots of people to look for someone that is trying to hide. Lots of trees and hiking trails, parks etc.

I’d be willing to bet that they know exactly who he is. They likely already know of him from previous domestic calls to the address. So it could be reasonable to assume that the dead were the only targets.

I’m not trying to make a commentary on the normalization of events like this, I’m just trying to provide context from the area since it’s very close to me and I’m familiar with it.

Edit: they just said they do know who he is, they are looking for him etc, they don’t think he is looking to shoot anyone else.

yeah no poo poo they know who it is, he's one of theirs (and out on bond for child rape)

https://amp.statesman.com/amp/7277348002

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/mnnationalguard/status/1383808422190059541?s=21

Soooo can you can get a CAB or CIB when deployed to the US?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Not yet, but give it a few years.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

FrozenVent posted:

At least here lumber is through the roof in part because everybody is renovating.

I got a quote for some renos and the cheapest quote came back 2x what me and the bank expected. So I’m keeping the asbestos for now.

Neighbors were quoted 600 sq ft single story addition 300K

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TCD posted:

Neighbors were quoted 600 sq ft single story addition 300K

The low end basement finish around here is $39/ft, which was mid range two years ago here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I wonder what’s going to happen when the statewide moratorium on evictions expires 45-60 days after the pandemic “ends.” That kind of seems like the “Wiley E. Coyote running off the edge of the cliff but not falling until he looks down” moment except with people shooting at sheriffs deputies coming to evict them.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
American insurgency

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen when the statewide moratorium on evictions expires 45-60 days after the pandemic “ends.” That kind of seems like the “Wiley E. Coyote running off the edge of the cliff but not falling until he looks down” moment except with people shooting at sheriffs deputies coming to evict them.

I can't help but hope/think this might be what deep-sixed the fifty grand of student debt relief thing. They just can't say it outright because THE ALMIGHTY NUMBER hates presidents and policymakers doubting it.

The banking industry :hmmno:-ing it is far more likely, though.

Abongination posted:

American insurgency

Everybody gangsta until the thermobaric Hellfires pop their buddies like human water balloons.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Everybody gangsta until the thermobaric Hellfires pop their buddies like human water balloons.

Or the ginsu version whacks the guy next to you in a car

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1383870519670280202?s=20

I'm just so tired, so very tired

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the fraud aspect outweighed the benefits of the sheer simplicity and reliability of using physical cards to track this. Any digital method of doing it would have been by necessity thrown together at the last minute and would have a very high chance of loving something up - just look at how well the ACA website rollout went, and that was something they actually had time to plan for and develop. With a card you don't have to log in to a website or set up an account or try to get text message notifications working, you can just stick it on your fridge as a reminder for when your second shot is scheduled. There's a lot of unappreciated value in that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the fraud aspect outweighed the benefits of the sheer simplicity and reliability of using physical cards to track this. Any digital method of doing it would have been by necessity thrown together at the last minute and would have a very high chance of loving something up - just look at how well the ACA website rollout went, and that was something they actually had time to plan for and develop. With a card you don't have to log in to a website or set up an account or try to get text message notifications working, you can just stick it on your fridge as a reminder for when your second shot is scheduled. There's a lot of unappreciated value in that.

Shot cards are common, there's just been no reason to ever fake them because who the gently caress fakes a vaccination

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It's honestly shocking how rarely cops, prosecutors, and judges are actually targeted in the US. With so many lives and families destroyed, you would expect more people taking that personally.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm just so tired, so very tired

I don't see how this matters? It's supremely stupid, but the cards shouldn't be used by any organization or event as a means of verifying vaccine status in the first place. Even if the cards where somehow strictly controlled and forgery proof, you'd still have shitheads borrowing other peoples cards or outright stealing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't see how this matters? It's supremely stupid, but the cards shouldn't be used by any organization or event as a means of verifying vaccine status in the first place. Even if the cards where somehow strictly controlled and forgery proof, you'd still have shitheads borrowing other peoples cards or outright stealing them.

I sure hope it counts, because the card is pretty much the only record I have of getting the vaccine. I did standy walkins at some Wallgreens.

Ninja Edit: I just remember that they both took my health insurance, so nevermind there would be a record presumably.