Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

N: Aaron Nola

V: Rules

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

N: Aaron Nola

V: Rules

:hmmyes:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Rays are both what everyone says is wrong and what actually is wrong about baseball. They trade away anyone making even a modicum of money, have like two good players and a bunch of scrap heap and AAAA guys because they don't have to pay them anything and then cry poverty in the name of market efficiency. They run all the matchups, constant pitching changes, openers, shifts etc. that the casuals and boomers hate. But they get away with it largely unscathed because they just shrug their shoulders and go we are poor :wink:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Nodoze posted:

The Rays are both what everyone says is wrong and what actually is wrong about baseball. They trade away anyone making even a modicum of money, have like two good players and a bunch of scrap heap and AAAA guys because they don't have to pay them anything and then cry poverty in the name of market efficiency. They run all the matchups, constant pitching changes, openers, shifts etc. that the casuals and boomers hate. But they get away with it largely unscathed because they just shrug their shoulders and go we are poor :wink:

The Rays had the best record in the AL last year and went to the World Series, and they won 90+ games in 2018 and 2019. That's pretty good for a team with two good players.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like they pretty reliably rebuild competently and keep the cycle going as designed though :shrug:

Maybe hate on the 10-20 other teams who try to replicate the model but suck all the time rather than on fairly planned, predictable cycles

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Rays had the best record in the AL last year and went to the World Series, and they won 90+ games in 2018 and 2019. That's pretty good for a team with two good players.

They made it through last season the way they did because it was a 60 game season. They went to the World Series and then go yeah we are trading our best pitcher because he makes too much money

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine thinking Marcus Stroman wasn't a really good pitcher

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Julio Cruz posted:

imagine thinking Marcus Stroman wasn't a really good pitcher

He was really, really great today. Loved the enthusiasm on that behind the back play/dribbler to first. He was feeling himself today, as well he should. He's quickly become one of my favorite Mets.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Inspector_666 posted:

I shan't, but I also don't expect any sympathy.

Ohhh banished to the wall. 10th year anniversary poo poo!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wrigley field as a "bart man" situation developing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1383914295931543565

:lol::lol::lol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be fair i don't think "what if i am inexplicably completely washed up by Age 28" is compatible with Pro Athlete Mindset

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there a theory as to why Baez has fallen off so hard since 2019?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

His plate discipline is all over the place and pitchers know this. Probably doesn't help that the entire team lives and dies by the launch angle.

Can players view previous at bats mid game anymore? I knew he'd watch those to help adjust but couldn't in 2020.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my Javy Theory is that there are just awful vibes around the cubs and no one wants to be there anymore

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

they can't have ipads in the dugouts anymore so he doesn't have access to realtime analysis of his swing or something

I forget the whole thing but this was a thing that cubs fans brought up last year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Javy whined about no video in the dugout being the cause for his 2020 but I fail to see how footage of him swinging at a slider five feet off the plate is going to help him next AB. Also players apparently did get video back, but it's in the clubhouse now on a dedicated terminal or something.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Scouts finally put together a decent playbook on him that involved just never throwing him a strike ever, and Javy responded to this by swinging even more and even harder. He's always been a free swinger but it's gotten to the point now where he won't shorten up for anything: he'll whiff on back to back 96 MPH heaters right through the zone because the only swing he uses now his his big loopy HR swing, and then inexplicably try the exact same swing a third time on another fastball. The only way to get beat by Javy right now is to hang a breaking pitch in the zone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't trade my close personal baseball friend
https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/1383964174498238464?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Did he like strain an ab or something
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1383975618941837315
I am now a doctor

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

given the off days they need to just send him on back to Atlanta, even if he avoids the IL there's really no reason to put him through the two games in New York when he could get four days of rest for the next home series.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

given the off days they need to just send him on back to Atlanta, even if he avoids the IL there's really no reason to put him through the two games in New York when he could get four days of rest for the next home series.
Give Heredia the chance to smash a few more slams too

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The thing about baseball is it's chaotic and weird but it's nonetheless comforting because someone out there at least knows how often particular types of chaotic weirdness turn up:
https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1383976479680196614?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I concur with Dr. Wilson's clinical assessment
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1383979311472857101

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Seattle Mariners won a series against the Houston Astros :unsmith:

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Acuna diagnosed with tummy ache, rehab assignment in Gwinnett coming soon.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
This is insanity.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

FlamingLiberal posted:

What everyone else has said is true, but Fangraphs did a piece last week with some scary names as comps.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/its-probably-time-to-be-concerned-about-javier-baez/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

What everyone else has said is true, but Fangraphs did a piece last week with some scary names as comps.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/its-probably-time-to-be-concerned-about-javier-baez/

i believe in javier baez

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

davecrazy posted:

This is insanity.

Awesome player. Full time DH who still can’t stay healthy and looks just horrible in like 85% of his ABs swinging at pitches way outside. But he does hit a 450 foot homer every other week or so!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

IcePhoenix posted:

they can't have ipads in the dugouts anymore so he doesn't have access to realtime analysis of his swing or something

As a matter of fact, the iPads are back, so teams do have access to video in the dugout this season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The White Sox have a game at 10am? Wtf?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bird in a Blender posted:

The White Sox have a game at 10am? Wtf?

It’s the Boston marathon today!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/metsrewind/status/1384132614525652992?s=21

What could of been....if they traded him in 2015 for an absolute haul.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

davecrazy posted:

https://twitter.com/metsrewind/status/1384132614525652992?s=21

What could of been....if they traded him in 2015 for an absolute haul.

He went to the big city and drank himself out of his job. Pretty funny.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

It’s the Boston marathon today!

here comes the peetzur

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Feels odd to be settling in to watch a White Sox game at 10am on a Monday, but here we are. Good thing I don't have to work until 2pm today!

If this thing goes to extras I could be in trouble, though. :pray:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It's weird reading people talk about Baez like he's fallen off a cliff somehow. His OPS+ is 100! That is, by definition, not too bad. And his career OPS+ is 102! This is normal for him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chilihead posted:

Stanton is already a shell of himself and was never even Pujols

That's quite a bar to set as a bare minimum

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

It's weird reading people talk about Baez like he's fallen off a cliff somehow. His OPS+ is 100! That is, by definition, not too bad. And his career OPS+ is 102! This is normal for him.

It's fun to watch the Cubs collapse though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's fun to watch the Cubs collapse though

I think I’m in the acceptance phase