Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

This dude has whatever the fyre festival guy has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I like you a ton, LodeRunner, and I like the stuff you post, and I like schadenfreude, but I propose we stop posting this guy’s delusions. Just now it feels like we’ve hit the point where it’s sad not funny sad. And if anyone has a way to get this guy help maybe do that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I agree that we seem to have transitioned to watching someone spiral rather than watching someone make hilarious decisions.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I was getting that feeling but wasn't sure if I was alone. Agreed, closing this chapter. Back to searching for replacement Brammo Empulse parts...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That stopped being funny real fast. It seems like someone is going to get hurt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I agree that we seem to have transitioned to watching someone spiral rather than watching someone make hilarious decisions.

We've hit the Chris-Chan Event Horizon.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LodeRunner posted:

I was getting that feeling but wasn't sure if I was alone. Agreed, closing this chapter. Back to searching for replacement Brammo Empulse parts...

It's a shame he went fully crazy. Feels like he let us down.

Speaking of crazy, how's your Sacramento(?) cannonball shaping up?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

ought ten posted:

It's a shame he went fully crazy. Feels like he let us down.

Speaking of crazy, how's your Sacramento(?) cannonball shaping up?

The plan is still Anaheim to Reno on May 14th. I, conveniently get my 2nd vaccination on May 1 so I should be all antibodied up right before the start. We were supposed to have a Zoom meeting to discuss logistics last Wednesday but the guy hosting it got tied up at work, so he rescheduled it for this Wednesday. I think, "why not make it a weekend so there's no possibility you'll get tied up with work" but no one consults me on these things. I will likely write up a blog post about the trip, my route, and my thoughts on how it will pan out which I will link here if I do. Right now the two Florida people who won the East Coast ride have been wandering around the US in their converted Sprinter van, deploying their bikes during the day on interesting roads. They arrived earlier than I thought in my area so I rode with them on Thursday and a large chunk of the local Energica riders went out with them yesterday:

The guy on the left with his rather raw aero is going to win if he goes on the trip. Hands down. He can get the same range of the 60% greater capacity battery and charge in half the time, never overheating all day long. The big question, for me, is who comes in second and if that person makes it in the same day. Remember these bikes really aren't there for touring yet but we're stupid and trying it anyway.

The Energica + models (Ego+, Ribelle, SS9+) all have the biggest batteries and get about 80 proper highway miles but, because of thermal design choices, the charge time goes up to an hour or more by the third charge. I've been talking with a lot of owners who think they can ride in ways to reduce this. I don't see it happening but maybe this is where I'm horribly wrong.

The Energica standard models (Ego, Eva, SS9) will never overheat and will charge in 30 minutes or less. But the range can vary between 45-60 proper highway miles depending on rider, conditions, etc. Basically depends on how much I want to risk my life drafting behind a fat truck.

The H-D LiveWire should be able to get 70 proper highway miles and will charge consistently in 1 hour from dead and will never overheat either. The tricky thing is it has a very predictable charging algorithm. At the bottom 40% of the battery it basically charges at 1.5x the battery capacity (1.5C). From ~45-75% it charges at a rate that, had it held it the whole time it would be 1 hour (1C). From there it drops down to what would essentially be a 2 hour charge (0.5C). This means pulling in at a charge station to get from 60% to 95% will take ~3x as long as it would to get from 5% to 45%. Can a very clever rider live on the bottom half of a LiveWire battery? Would take careful planning and a hell of a set of balls. Literally adding extra range anxiety.

Sadly the Zeros are off in the corner eating paste with a 2 hour charge every 70 miles.

Seeing that the route is 500 miles as the crow flies, it's actually 554 miles by the highways and roads I plan to use (Highway 99). I plan my route with an app/site called plugshare.com which shows me elevation changes among other things. I tend to be overly cautious in my planning so for me I've included 14 stops. Some of them are under 30 miles apart because there is a 4,000 foot elevation climb with The Grapevine (Highway 5 North of LA) and an independent 7,000 foot climb that is Lake Tahoe. The last one is at the end of the trip. People are going to be tired, sore, and probably cold. My theory is that the BULK of the riders will get a room for the night somewhere between Sacramento and Tahoe except for the guy on the Zero who may call it a night in Modesto. My route, with conservative charge times, puts that at 15 hours 32 minutes. If we leave at 8am... oof. I should probably run some simulation routes for other bikes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

14 stops over 500mi

electric bikes are totally the future lol

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

The newest ones can probably do it in 5 but yes definitely condense and disregard everything else I said and take away that and that alone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gasoline is an incredible fuel. If it didn't already exist under our feet all over the world, we would have invented it independently. There's almost nothing else with that combination of energy density, relative non-toxicity* and convenience. You can carry 600 megajoules (165 kWh) in a 5-gallon bucket weighing 30 pounds. It never loses potency and it can be moved around with a funnel and a hose. As long as you keep the bucket covered it's safe enough to leave in the corner of your garage.

Electric vehicles are cool but I will always be a big liquid fuel stan. Fight me

*pure iso-octane is very safe, it's all the benzene and other poo poo in gas that makes it poisonous

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I own a Tesla but I want to slap everyone who downplays the utter pain of recharging. It sucks to have to plan life around the range and recharging of your car. The most deranged Tesla advocates will explain to you endlessly why it's just as easy as a gas car and your use case is wrong. There is a reason why gasoline powered vehicles lasted so long as the primary type of transportation. Honestly, at this stage of development, I would never own an electric vehicle without also owning a gas vehicle.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bingo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When You can recharge in the same time it takes to fill a tank, then we’ll be there.

Not before

Doesn’t mean EV’s are worthless or not right for some people, it just means until we get there, it’s not a 1:1 replacement.

For me it’s not even the range. I’ve done all day rides on a drz with a shot glass for a tank, I had to stop constantly. It’s the time to charge. All that stopping on the drz was quick because it also only takes 2 minutes to fill a drz tank

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 18, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All this being said I’d love an electric bike, it would just be alongside my gas bikes, which honestly is probably the ideal situation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An average gas pump dispensing about 7 gallons a minute is "charging" your vehicle at a rate of ~15 megawatts.

Kinda puts the 250 kW Supercharger in perspective.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My bike runs on the liquidised corpses of my ancestors; does yours? :smuggo:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Depends where your electric comes from

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't we meet in the middle and have biodiesel bikes? That way they can be slow AND super heavy.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gotta say, while petrol is expensive, it's so convenient. I am at the petrol station p much every other day, given how thirsty Fat Bob is.

Worth it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When You can recharge in the same time it takes to fill a tank, then we’ll be there.

Not before

Doesn’t mean EV’s are worthless or not right for some people, it just means until we get there, it’s not a 1:1 replacement.

For me it’s not even the range. I’ve done all day rides on a drz with a shot glass for a tank, I had to stop constantly. It’s the time to charge. All that stopping on the drz was quick because it also only takes 2 minutes to fill a drz tank

Nah, kinda disagree there. Unlike cars, a gas stop on a bike is more a chance to have a stretch, take a piss, get a drink, etc. If you've got a bike that'll do the range of a normal ICE bike, say ~250km on a charge, a 20 minute charge break is totally acceptable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Nah, kinda disagree there. Unlike cars, a gas stop on a bike is more a chance to have a stretch, take a piss, get a drink, etc. If you've got a bike that'll do the range of a normal ICE bike, say ~250km on a charge, a 20 minute charge break is totally acceptable.

Nah, that’s just you moving the goalposts for ev bikes. The ev bike won’t take a full charge in that 20 minutes anyway

E: I’m coming across like I’m making GBS threads on ev bikes. I’m not. I think they’re pretty rad and they currently are and will be a permanent part of the motorcycle landscape.

We just aren’t to parity yet and acting like we are doesn’t help anyone.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 19, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even if EV bikes ever get to a 200-mile highway range with a 5 minute 0-to-100% charge, they'll still be inferior to gas bikes for any long range travel until there are two dozen 5 minute chargers installed at every exit of every highway in the entire country.

"Total gas bike replacement" is not a valid goal. For me the magic line is a 1 hour 100% charge and 150 highway miles for $10,000. That'll let me go out on a long twisty ride, have lunch, and come back without significant range anxiety. It still doesn't let you go just anywhere you want; you're stuck planning for lunch spots that have fast chargers, while on a gas bike you can just explore and not worry about it. Maybe in twenty years the calculus will be different but for right now I can't and don't want to give up gasoline.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Even if EV bikes ever get to a 200-mile highway range with a 5 minute 0-to-100% charge, they'll still be inferior to gas bikes for any long range travel until there are two dozen 5 minute chargers installed at every exit of every highway in the entire country.

"Total gas bike replacement" is not a valid goal. For me the magic line is a 1 hour 100% charge and 150 highway miles for $10,000. That'll let me go out on a long twisty ride, have lunch, and come back without significant range anxiety. It still doesn't let you go just anywhere you want; you're stuck planning for lunch spots that have fast chargers, while on a gas bike you can just explore and not worry about it. Maybe in twenty years the calculus will be different but for right now I can't and don't want to give up gasoline.

That's a good point, considering a lot long rides with multiple fuel stops are probably going to be at least partially in BFN. As a commuter and/or a day tripper, your math works pretty well. I still think, and it sounds like you're saying the same thing, that the length of time it takes to charge, as long as it isn't like several hours or overnight to full, is less important than the range provided.
I would take a bike that charges in an hour and gives 250km range over a bike that charges in 5 minutes and gives 100.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For me at least, it's the charge time vs range vs weight ratio. Right now you have to spend more time charging than your do riding, it needs to be the other way around. Spending 2-3 hours charging a battery I can exhaust in twenty minutes is useless to me, but the only way around that atm is having a goldwing made of batteries.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

having a goldwing made of batteries.

Go on.......

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You guys are thinking about this all wrong: What you do is buy a small fleet of electric bikes and perpetually stagger them by parking them at charging locations and treat every extended ride as a relay race.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Phone posted:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong: What you do is buy a small fleet of electric bikes and perpetually stagger them by parking them at charging locations and treat every extended ride as a relay race.

This is close but not you're not to galaxy brain yet. Get a goldwing made of batteries and then a series of smaller EVs down to an electric bicycle. Tow the smaller bikes behind you, and leave each depleted bike on the side of the road as you work your way down.

Or you could leave each depleted bike at a charger and then retrace your steps home, re-assembling your EV roadtrain as you go

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Phone posted:

This, and they ride themselves back to base to make sure they're properly distributed. By... Uh... Cloud enabled machine learning.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gotta start somewhere yo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

This is close but not you're not to galaxy brain yet. Get a goldwing made of batteries and then a series of smaller EVs down to an electric bicycle. Tow the smaller bikes behind you, and leave each depleted bike on the side of the road as you work your way down.

Or you could leave each depleted bike at a charger and then retrace your steps home, re-assembling your EV roadtrain as you go

I'm not seeing how this can be turned into an app, 4/10.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I'm not seeing how this can be turned into an app, 4/10.

"Depleted" bikes retain 10% battery when detached and automatically ride themselves to nearest charger via cloud enabled machine learning. For an optional extra subscription, they will also automatically rejoin the bike train on your return journey. "Not driving into a pond" module will be available next year at small markup over cost.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All the bikes are being towed dolly style and working as generators to power Bitcoin mining.

Is that an app? I don’t really know about computers

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I want a magnetic harpoon that I can launch at semis like Moby Dick. Then I put the bike into full regen and cross the country without a single charge stop :smugdog:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
AI

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK, OK, I admit that my first pass wasn't that thought out... alright, uh poo poo...

OK, what if there were dedicated electric motorcycle lanes that spanned the country that were well maintained and you could go as fast as you wanted? Going fast does use a lot of power; however, a series of overhead power lines could probably do the trick, like 25kV would probably suffice. We'd probably need to scale it though, like make it one large motorcycle... like a 1/4 mile long motorcycle....

Crap, I just reinvented the Shinkansen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LodeRunner posted:

I want a magnetic harpoon that I can launch at semis like Moby Dick. Then I put the bike into full regen and cross the country without a single charge stop :smugdog:

You can view prototype footage in the SAE trial colloquially known as '2 fast 2 furious'.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

EV Lane, with induction coils on the road to charge as you ride increasing range.

I think it's been demo'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Induction into rolling vehicles has really poor performance iirc, just incredibly low efficiency. It'd make even less sense for bikes because you'd struggle to get the pickup coil close enough to the ground without making a bike that couldn't lean.