Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I call my dog sweet potato because he's very sweet and when I pick him up he flops over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

Have you posted a pic of this sweet potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

Some of the outrage was aimed at one particular streamer whose name I can’t remember and won’t look up, who has a team of players that assist him in-game so that he can reach the endgame as quickly as possible. And it was revealed that these team members are also granted queue-skipping powers, despite not being streamers themselves, which of course exasperated the whole Ethics in Video Game Streaming controversy that was brewing

Anyway just thought this was interesting. I don’t play on the “trade league” as it’s called so I’m not affected in the least

Sounds like Shroud's stream. He was kinda bummed he couldn't do anything and he was being paid to sit there. When the servers came up they found out he was bypassed and he still couldn't do much because he had to wait for the rest of the team. Guessing devs saw that and let them all in at that point. Worrying about farming items an hour before everyone else sounds pretty sweaty.

I don't follow the PoE community, but I play it a few times a year. On paper it looks amazing with a billion options and all these seasonal events and new poo poo they keep putting into it. At the end of the day I still enjoy doing stupid torment runs in Diablo3 more because there is just something in that game that releases endorphins constantly when you make poo poo explode and stuff drops that PoE has NEVER done for me. PoE just feels clunky to me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Philthy posted:

Sounds like Shroud's stream. He was kinda bummed he couldn't do anything and he was being paid to sit there. When the servers came up they found out he was bypassed and he still couldn't do much because he had to wait for the rest of the team. Guessing devs saw that and let them all in at that point. Worrying about farming items an hour before everyone else sounds pretty sweaty.

I don't follow the PoE community, but I play it a few times a year. On paper it looks amazing with a billion options and all these seasonal events and new poo poo they keep putting into it. At the end of the day I still enjoy doing stupid torment runs in Diablo3 more because there is just something in that game that releases endorphins constantly when you make poo poo explode and stuff drops that PoE has NEVER done for me. PoE just feels clunky to me.

i need to stop trying to play poe because no matter how much money i throw at it it never actually feels fun???????????? :smith:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive tried PoE a few times and get like three hours in or so and every single time Im like "when do I start making things explode" and never finish the first act. Say what you want about Diablo 3 being bad (because it is) but at least the structure of the characters mean you have cool skills that do stuff in the early game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People disregarding Poe are insane, even if you don't like the work. the influence on multiple genres is impressive. Literary criticism, the Detective novel, and Gothic horror all owe a lot to the man

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ive tried PoE a few times and get like three hours in or so and every single time Im like "when do I start making things explode" and never finish the first act. Say what you want about Diablo 3 being bad (because it is) but at least the structure of the characters mean you have cool skills that do stuff in the early game

Part of this is that the best way of playing PoE is incredibly counter intuitive.

Like the ideal way funwise is to play is literally just rush through the campaign acts and instead of meticulously opening every chest and killing every mob you just kill the magic and rare mob packs and only pick up the gear that has the bare minimum of slots to get your build online.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

OneDeadman posted:

Part of this is that the best way of playing PoE is incredibly counter intuitive.

Like the ideal way funwise is to play is literally just rush through the campaign acts and instead of meticulously opening every chest and killing every mob you just kill the magic and rare mob packs and only pick up the gear that has the bare minimum of slots to get your build online.

Yeah the way everyone plays the game is to speedrun through the early parts, but my question is like, if that part of the game is so boring and not fun, why even bother having it and why not just remove however many acts there are before the game starts getting fun and just make that the new start of the game? Why make people speedrun through the first 8~ hours of the game every single time if nothing important happens there?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
POE is good, but it's the only ARPG where I actually hurt my finger/backhand from clicking so much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah the way everyone plays the game is to speedrun through the early parts, but my question is like, if that part of the game is so boring and not fun, why even bother having it and why not just remove however many acts there are before the game starts getting fun and just make that the new start of the game? Why make people speedrun through the first 8~ hours of the game every single time if nothing important happens there?

Seems like the same problem with a lot of MMOs having this pointless tedious gauntlet of BS to get through before getting to the only part anyone cares about. Then again, with ARPGs, the least fun version and most fun version will be mechanically identical in terms of you just mashing a click button the same way.

I think the core gameplay and loot treadmill of these endless ARPGs is just really not for me, that emperor just loses it's clothes too fast, but making it Gauntlet Legends style where you don't need to click for every attack when you just wanna always be attacking in a direction. The console Diablo 3 I think had twin stick movement that probably felt a lot better than a kbm. Don't use enough keys or precision in an ARPG to warrant a kbm anyway.

Controller Diablo-1 style game, spooky not so looty kind of has a more natural end point.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Have you posted a pic of this sweet potato

Big fan of anime, that dog

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All dogs like anime. Little known fact

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

People disregarding Poe are insane, even if you don't like the work. the influence on multiple genres is impressive. Literary criticism, the Detective novel, and Gothic horror all owe a lot to the man

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have also enjoyed Poe on occasion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBF2h-Pl0

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Poe owns and I'll hear no different!!

He actually wrote a pretty wide variety of stuff, including comedy

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PoE gets a bad rap. I know some people think it's too dry and verbose but I dug the vibe it had.

PoE 2 is some of the finest work Obsidian's done too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its really just that turn based is better than rtwp

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I would like PoE way more if it were turn-based. Would make the opening acts less damanding so I can just watch streams in the meantime while I zone out until my build comes online

e: that 15 dollar capture card came in the mail today and what do you know it works! I think I might want an HDMI splitter to play Monster Hunter and other reflex-based games because of the latency but I could totally play Persona 5 just through the game capture window

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 19, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

PoE gets a bad rap. I know some people think it's too dry and verbose but I dug the vibe it had.

PoE 2 is some of the finest work Obsidian's done too.

The fact that my real name is in Pillars one makes me want to vomit. I've never suffered through such a lovely game before. It's one of the only games I can truly say I despise

cheetah7071 posted:

Its really just that turn based is better than rtwp

Truth

Simone Magus posted:

Poe owns and I'll hear no different!!

He actually wrote a pretty wide variety of stuff, including comedy

drat straight man, Doyle acknowledge what he did for Detective novels and yet people glaze over Dupin stories, Lovecraft loved the lad and people ignore it. His poetry is haunting and beautiful and what little i've seen of his criticism is thoroughly well considered. He deserves his place on the pantheon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Piece of Eshit

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I'm moving in a month and a half or so and decided I should probably work on a few of the more bite-sized games in my backlog in between packing and work. At least that was the original thought, but the new thought instead is apparently between Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, the absolute longest game in my list, and Spiritfarer. I have never played a Dragon Quest game before, but played a lot of other jrpgs in my youth before growing out of them quite a bit over the years. Talk me into or out of these games I don't know what has come over me.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Radioactive Toy posted:

Talk me into or out of these games I don't know what has come over me.

DQ11 is like 100 hours long but consists of small stories. I didn't like it at all because it wasn't very mechanically deep next to the type of games I really like (SMT namely) but if you like mainline FF games and want a game with a big beautiful world that isn't very demanding you'll like it. I keep seeing footage of it and saying "man maybe I was wrong this game looks so cool" but I've tried it three times and just can't keep with it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pillars owns, RtwP is better for wrpgs, y'all are dumb.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would like PoE way more if it were turn-based. Would make the opening acts less damanding so I can just watch streams in the meantime while I zone out until my build comes online

e: that 15 dollar capture card came in the mail today and what do you know it works! I think I might want an HDMI splitter to play Monster Hunter and other reflex-based games because of the latency but I could totally play Persona 5 just through the game capture window

... but if it's turn based you need to do every action, even the most inane ones, how is that more relaxing?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Weedle posted:

worth noting that syphon filter: dark mirror got a sequel the following year

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphon_Filter:_Logan%27s_Shadow

I had that game! Now Saint Freak does. ;)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah Path of Exile is a game that should be super up my alley but it's just like...not fun at all.

In general though aRPGs just aren't my thing. Despite the name they never felt actiony to me. Feels like theres no weight to any of your actions. Much prefer action games that have like...hitstun, decent dodging, analog controls over mouse, that sort of thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pone of the Enders

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Big fan of playing power over ethernet.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A Sometimes Food posted:

... but if it's turn based you need to do every action, even the most inane ones, how is that more relaxing?

I have extensive experience playing turn-based RPGs during zoom lectures, it's much easier than a game where if you have to put the controller/mouse down for twenty seconds in order to answer a question about the crude oil levels in the gulf of mexico following the BP oil spill you die

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

Big fan of anime, that dog

Happy to see that there are two eskies in this thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Fable 1 tonight. I don't know if I want to continue with the other two games. They are pretty dated titles now, and the first game at least really did not hold up well, and even on Series X, the performance was very bad, and that was a remaster that came after Fable III.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

All dogs like anime. Little known fact

If I had one of those pictures of a dog sleeping on a titty mouse pad I'd post it, but I do not not do I have a titty mouse pad to pose my dog with so you'll have to imagine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pone of the Enders
p0wn of the tainters

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Acerbatus posted:

If I had one of those pictures of a dog sleeping on a titty mouse pad I'd post it, but I do not not do I have a titty mouse pad to pose my dog with so you'll have to imagine.

my cat spends so much time on my mousepad i should get a titty one just so he's more comfy

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

Well, it's a cat, but take what you can get.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

what about a dog titty mousepad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym32IxojDpk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dioxazine posted:

Well, it's a cat, but take what you can get.

Misa was better, cat has poo poo taste

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No...

Gaius Marius posted:

Misa was better, cat has poo poo taste

The death note girl? Don't remember that one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You've made an enemy this day Acerbatus

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckZcVFLU24

Waitthat's also lin min mei

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

misa don't sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My relationship with Gamefly seems like some bad codependent thing...

I have been renting Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin for 41 days. I actually haven't even installed it but in order to clear my queue for NieR, I purchased it for a total outlay of $40.75 (the MSRP on Steam is 39.99)

Meanwhile I have been renting Paper Mario: The Origami King for 110 days and counting