Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Weka posted:

Today I learned tonnage derives from tun, another unit of volume, however the fact that they're both volume measurements isn't directly related.
Unrelatedly, I always thought tonnage was just the bit below the water line but apparently not.

Isn't that displacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Displacement is the actual weight of the vessel measured by how much water moves up because the boats there.

Tonnage refers to how much cargo in weight your ship could theoretically hold if you used it as a cargo ship. It was developed because when ships dock they usually have to pay a tax to a port and a ship which can earn more should pay more. It has since been expanded to be used as a way of classifying how large a ship is regardless of purpose since you can be licensed to pilot a 300 ton ship but not a 600 ton for example.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fojar38 posted:

It would be great if Tencent got crushed hard enough that I could enjoy video games again

Doesn't Tencent also own Reddit?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
america has a proud tradition of selling lemon investments to asian countries yes

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

wanna see private equity tear reddit apart when tencent has to divest

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Doesn't Tencent also own Reddit?

Meh, they have a 5% stake and Reddit users act like they're under the Great Firewall.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
does tencent even own more than 5-10% in anything outside of china???

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Booty Pageant posted:

does tencent even own more than 5-10% in anything outside of china???

If video game companies count, sure.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Not gonna lie, I'd trust a pig over a Tesla autopilot if I'm just gonna dick around on a smartphone the entire trip, and I'm more likely to survive the experience :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Pigs are pretty smart :)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Not So Fast posted:

Meh, they have a 5% stake and Reddit users act like they're under the Great Firewall.

I was on Reddit when that deal broke and, holy poo poo, weaponized autism was out in full force. It was like visiting 4chan on a bad day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

BrigadierSensible, I know a few people who arrived in Japan over the past 12 months so I'm sure your visa can actually be processed. Unless it's the JET program, lol.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Blistex posted:

Isn't that displacement?

Ton can refer to all, hence displacement ton, but there are also short tons, long tons, freight tons, gross tons, and the more common metric ton aka tonne. It is very much an overloaded term. Freight is quirky because it can be volume or mass.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tonnage refers to how much cargo in weight your ship could theoretically hold if you used it as a cargo ship. It was developed because when ships dock they usually have to pay a tax to a port and a ship which can earn more should pay more. It has since been expanded to be used as a way of classifying how large a ship is regardless of purpose since you can be licensed to pilot a 300 ton ship but not a 600 ton for example.

This sounded like convoluted bullshit to me but I've looked it up and nope, it's true :shrug:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The has published new guidelines for interacting with ChinaTaiwan
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKBN2BW2NO

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

peanut posted:

BrigadierSensible, I know a few people who arrived in Japan over the past 12 months so I'm sure your visa can actually be processed. Unless it's the JET program, lol.

Not the JET Program no. But thank you for the info. Shows there's always hope.

The info that I have is that they managed to get my CoE, (Certificate of Eligibility), but to get me over on an Instructor Visa involves a bunch of other stuff from the schools/Ministry that is being difficult to wrangle. Also they are telling me that if they had tried to get me over in December, it would have been a piece of piss, but because I was supposed to arrive in March, I was smack bang in the middle of when the brought the curtain down on new arrivals.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 14, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stole this from the OSHA thread:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qritjuELdz1vy4sqt.mp4

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I randomly found this on Amazon today. Can somebody tell me what it's about?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

idk but searching for dan&dre got me this

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/hollyanndoan/status/1380484126583689220

So China's Canadian diplomat just implied that a small minority of canadian visitors should worry about getting kidnapped.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not since Imperial Germany have we seen such a nation of diplomatic skill

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You only need to worry if your name is Michael.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Not since Imperial Germany have we seen such a nation of diplomatic skill

Well, Imperial Germany after Otto Von Bismark was forced out of office.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*plays his cards... its all Aces!*

Read em and weep, Ameriailures!!!! China rules!!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
"What's this fifth suit?"

"Whataboutism. Very popular card back home."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WarpedNaba posted:

Apparently it's a Breaking Bad hazmat deal to protect your actual suit when you're in China and decide to go on a Han-only retribution-style stabbing spree.

At least that's what I pieced together.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't Oohboy get banned?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Steakandchips posted:

Didn't Oohboy get banned?

Tends to happen when you advocate for the outright murder of random Chinese people.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oohboy's an idiot.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

*plays his cards... its all Aces!*

Read em and weep, Ameriailures!!!! China rules!!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wasn’t Oohboy almost the pick to IK this thread before he went loving nuts?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn’t Oohboy almost the pick to IK this thread before he went loving nuts?

I was offered, but declined, and almost suggested him. But that was around the point where he was more ranting than posting.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/MartijnRasser/status/1383769537829502979

Any Dutch people here better check what phone company they're using.

tl;dr Dutch phone company got completely penetrated by Huawei and did nothing despite Dutch intelligence making them aware.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Oohboy's an idiot.

I have more sympathy for him than the usual poster who gets banned for frothing at the mouth bloodlust. He's gone from living in an all-but-in-name democracy, to living in a society of law with authoritarian overtones, to living in a society that generally follows the law however there are a secret police if you draw too much attention to yourself, to living in a new quiet cultural revolution where people are getting arrested for activities deemed illegal retroactively. Having a mental breakdown is kind of understandable. Not justifying, but there is some empathy for him.

...but there's no way I can go back to that post and say, "No, this poster shouldn't be banned for this." It really is across the definitive line.

It's still probably better if he never did rereg, and just go silent like caberham.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://twitter.com/MartijnRasser/status/1383769537829502979

Any Dutch people here better check what phone company they're using.

tl;dr Dutch phone company got completely penetrated by Huawei and did nothing despite Dutch intelligence making them aware.

What exactly is China's endgame in hacking a bunch of phones halfway around the world, and in the process making everyone scrutinize them?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

What exactly is China's endgame in hacking a bunch of phones halfway around the world, and in the process making everyone scrutinize them?

No why

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Really though I think they’re aiming more for the fact they can than anything else, if you have back doors everywhere then it gives you more avenues if you want to compromise any given specific person.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Gaius Marius posted:

To send a message.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Really though I think they’re aiming more for the fact they can than anything else, if you have back doors everywhere then it gives you more avenues if you want to compromise any given specific person.

Getting a backdoor discovered is a huge risk though, you'd think they'd be focusing on people who can actually hurt them and not y'know the dutch.

Rime posted:

To send a message.
Chinese intelligence frantically jerking to nudes a dutch girl sent her BF

"It's about sending....a Message"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not so much an "endgame" so much as the opportunities it allows. there's what was posted above, but there's also the ability to know who's buying what from who. Business intelligence is a real thing. Why ask an executive over dinner who their clients are and how much they're paying, when you can get the truth from the network router?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 19, 2021